PDA

View Full Version : I don't get the love for Christian

Xero
02-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think he's a solid worker and good on the stick, but I just never "got it". He, by himself, never really clicked with me. I liked Edge more in Edge and Christian, but Christian definitely had his moments.

After Edge and Christian split I just never saw anything more than a very solid midcard worker in him. I didn't even buy him as TNA champion. I just never bought the hype in him so many people seem to give him.

Discuss Christian and why you love, like, are indifferent to, dislike or hate him.

Also discuss beloved wrestlers (in general or within the IWC) who you just "don't get".

DrCrawford
02-15-2011, 07:42 PM
i dont really like him either

Juan
02-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Different strokes for different folks.

Cool King
02-15-2011, 07:45 PM
I'm pretty much the same, Xero.

I've always liked Christian but I don't like him as much as the IWC does. He's always been good and I still liked him after Edge & Christian, and I think he was on fire from 2003 to 2005.

I saw clips of him in TNA but the love I had for him, didn't seem to be there anymore. Also, he looked insanely jaundice and thinner than he was during his time in the WWE, something which I still see when I look at him today.

I would like to see him with a World Championship, but just not yet. The IWC seem to always be demanding that Christian is placed in main events at PPV's and never lose a single match. But I think he needs a title run. His ECW title run was good, but I'm pretty sure nobody cared about it.

St. Jimmy
02-15-2011, 07:47 PM
You must've not been around for that hot fued with Cena he had.

Lock Jaw
02-15-2011, 07:51 PM
I'm the opposite. I always liked Christian more in E&C. After they split, I was firmly on Xtian's side.

Can't say what it is about him exactly, but there has never been a moment in his career where I have been "bored" or "turned off" by Christian. I can not say the same thing about Edge.

Xtian made a glorious TNA champion, by the way.

As far as people I don't "get", my number one would probably be RVD. Just never ever seen anything special in the guy. Maybe it is because I didn't see him in ECW, but he has always been rather boring and "meh" to me.

Aguakate
02-15-2011, 07:55 PM
I don't get the love for Christian either, Xero...

Supreme Olajuwon
02-15-2011, 07:56 PM
Haters gonna hate

XCaliber
02-15-2011, 08:01 PM
Have to agree with you for the most part Xero to me he's like Matt Hardy only not so retarded.

Savio
02-15-2011, 08:06 PM
Christian was really good for one year. Wasn't the same after he went to TNA, glad he won the ECW title though. Haven't seen him since.

Fignuts
02-15-2011, 08:07 PM
He's good, but I don't buy him as anything higher than upper midcard.

Anybody Thrilla
02-15-2011, 08:14 PM
Christian's ECW title run put on some of the best matches in the past five years. His promos were funny, and he was just flat out fun to watch. Why does it matter if anybody "cared" about it? It was awesome.

That being said, I'd be a little weirded out to see him with a major title, I think. I wouldn't be upset, but it would just feel weird.

Anybody Thrilla
02-15-2011, 08:15 PM
Let's not forget about the greatest Royal Rumble moment in history, either:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5T9A2HAgYeM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Savio
02-15-2011, 08:15 PM
Wouldn't mind see him going against Edge for a title one day though.

SlickyTrickyDamon
02-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think he's a solid worker and good on the stick,

I think you answered your question. Also people like the idea of him not getting over because 'Vince doesn't like him.' They like having somebody to point at and say "see, this is why Vince sucks because Christian wasn't a world champion."

Supreme Olajuwon
02-15-2011, 08:38 PM
I love Christian and don't think that at all. So why don't you shut your fucking face.

Nicky Fives
02-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Edge vs. Christian has to happen...... If Toronto gets a Wrestlemania in the near future (hopefully 29), I would put money on the 2 Torontonians being in the main event......

Gertner
02-15-2011, 10:51 PM
He's the Marty Jannety of the group. Horribly over-rated by the IWC

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-15-2011, 11:14 PM

And you're the Steve Mongo McMichael of TPWW.

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-15-2011, 11:21 PM

Also what is so over rated about Jannetty? He could talk and he could work. I don't think anyone here ever thought he was world championship material, but he was fun to watch... just a little small and not unique enough for a huge push.

Aguakate
02-15-2011, 11:22 PM
He's a guy who got a decent gimmick when he became "Captain Charisma"...is somewhat ok on the mic...and went to TNA, and got pushed based solely on the fact he was an ex-WWE guy, and to make him happy (and perhaps even to get him to sign), was offered a Main Event push.

Gertner
02-15-2011, 11:47 PM
And you're the Steve Mongo McMichael of TPWW.

Ah GDB, the poster with constant sand in his vagina.

Mr. Pierre
02-16-2011, 12:15 AM
I've always been a huge Christian mark. He can work a match with anyone and play either face or heel. Great charisma and mic work. I really don't see a weakness.

Disco Apocalypse
02-16-2011, 02:28 AM
I will most probably get ripped to pieces for this, but I think Christian falls into the Benoit category. Obviously completely different wrestlng styles and gimmicks and mic skills, but what I mean is the position in the company/roster.

Christian is a great mid-carder, might get a token world title, then slip back into mid-card. He puts on good matches, he is excellent on the mic, but some quality that I don't understand is lacking.

Don't get me wrong, I would have preferred Christian win the MitB and steal the title off Y2J instead of Swagger... That would have been great, and had some back-story, but oppurtunity lost. I don't want him to get the title now.

I used to think that Y2J fit into this category as well, but he managed to get a few world titles in his latest run and look comfortable in the role.

Also, I liked Xero's previous signature pic more... :shifty:

Tom Guycott
02-16-2011, 03:04 AM
I used to think that Y2J fit into this category as well, but he managed to get a few world titles in his latest run and look comfortable in the role.

Also, I liked Xero's previous signature pic more... :shifty:

a) Therein lies the rub- if Jericho never got the push, everyone would be saying the same thing about him. "He's overrated by the IWC." "He's midcard at best." "He doesn't have *it* to be world champion." Same for CM Punk, since at his WWECW debeut, he was just some "overrated indy guy". Even moreso for former reality TV star Miz, and he is the fucking champion right now!

Give Christian a decent push and a reason for fans to care and he has the ability to get over and become the believable champion us Peeps want to see!

b) Doesn't matter, just about any picture of Daffney is a good thing.

Disco Apocalypse
02-16-2011, 03:20 AM
a) Therein lies the rub- if Jericho never got the push, everyone would be saying the same thing about him. "He's overrated by the IWC." "He's midcard at best." "He doesn't have *it* to be world champion." Same for CM Punk, since at his WWECW debeut, he was just some "overrated indy guy". Even moreso for former reality TV star Miz, and he is the fucking champion right now!

Give Christian a decent push and a reason for fans to care and he has the ability to get over and become the believable champion us Peeps want to see!

b) Doesn't matter, just about any picture of Daffney is a good thing.

a) I get what you're saying, but Y2J, Miz and CM Punk all got an early run with the belt. I can't think of any wrestlers recently that have had their first title late in their career and been kept in the main event spot. By all means, post away, I just can't think of an example.

b)

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR16YHOB7pBYf2jakwhPt7h8obV_7-T7moHjqBbHtjJ9B3IM6wXTw&t=1

But yeah, she's hella hot compared to my memories of her from WCW!

Tom Guycott
02-16-2011, 06:30 AM
a) I get what you're saying, but Y2J, Miz and CM Punk all got an early run with the belt. I can't think of any wrestlers recently that have had their first title late in their career and been kept in the main event spot. By all means, post away, I just can't think of an example.

b)

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR16YHOB7pBYf2jakwhPt7h8obV_7-T7moHjqBbHtjJ9B3IM6wXTw&t=1

But yeah, she's hella hot compared to my memories of her from WCW!

a) Regal comes to mind, but he fucked that up himself. Anyway, I just used those guys as examples. An easier example would have been to use Edge. What if Vince saw *it* in Christian instead of Edge? Methinks we would be having this conversation about Adam Copeland instead.

b) ... hence why I said "just about" any pic of Daffney. I especially dug her in WCW sans all the screaming, and I marked out when she first appeared in the crowd @ TNA as part of that "Awesome Kong Open Invitational".

#BROKEN Hasney
02-16-2011, 06:39 AM
Loved Christian as a heel on Raw (Including his tag with Jericho and his CLB run before shouting out his peeps) and was the only reason to watch TNA for myself, which I did, weekly.

His face work has been a bit dull since he was back, but he can still go in the ring and I enjoy his matches.

XL
02-16-2011, 08:34 AM
If only Christian had banged Lita...

Seriously though, Edge was pretty much in the same position before the thing with Lita/Matt came out. That one scenario made Edge a mega-heel and eventually a star. Of course, Matt Hardy *could* have been huge too but that's not what Vince wanted - despite it being what the audience was clamouring for.

Much like Christian back in '05. People got behind him and his stuff with Cena but Vince didn't want to push him. We get a few weeks of exchanges between Cena and Christian when Cena moved to Raw, a Triple Threat involving Jericho and then Christian gets shipped to SmackDown. The plan was to push Cena, not Christian.

IMO all he needs is the right push. Xero said in his opening post that the guy has skill in the ring and on the mic, yet there are plenty of people that lack in one or both areas and still get pushed.

And there-in lies the reason why people/the IWC love the guy. He has the talent but hasn't been given the opportunity. It's kinda like an underdog story - getting over in spite of the booking, not because of it.

His run as ECW Champ was probably the best that the show had. His matches against the likes of Swagger, Ryder, Regal, etc were top notch. hell, he even carried Ezekial Jackson to a good PPV outing. And he's had some great matches since going to SmackDown.

I don't think it would take too much to get the "casual" fans behind him given the right storyline. Hopefully that comes off the back of his return with Del Rio likely to be champion and Edge still in the mix.

I heard that Swagger winning MitB last year was decided by pulling a name from a hat and given what they've bothered to do since with Swagger (who I love btw) since his WHC run I think it's a crying shame that Christian didn't get the chance to run with the ball there.

Testicle
02-16-2011, 09:31 AM
He was the best wrestler in 2009. Every one of his matches was good, and I would say that his crowd reactions were larger than anyone that wasn't a main-eventer on RAW.

Gertner
02-16-2011, 09:44 AM
Christian has been around for a looooooooong time. It would have happened by now. His time has come and gone. The Matt Hardy comparison is perfect.

XL
02-16-2011, 07:29 PM
No spelling mistake intended either?

AMIRITE?

Disco Apocalypse
02-17-2011, 02:13 AM
a) Regal comes to mind, but he fucked that up himself. Anyway, I just used those guys as examples. An easier example would have been to use Edge. What if Vince saw *it* in Christian instead of Edge? Methinks we would be having this conversation about Adam Copeland instead.

Regal? Really? I must have not been watching then...

I think Edge would have made it in the end. First world title and feud aside, I think he made that spot for himself rather than being selected for it. I couldn't see Edge going to TNA, which is in my opinion the larget strike against why Christian won't get a world title. If only they had given Christian the spot when he was feuding with Cena...

b) ... hence why I said "just about" any pic of Daffney. I especially dug her in WCW sans all the screaming, and I marked out when she first appeared in the crowd @ TNA as part of that "Awesome Kong Open Invitational".

I liked that picture. So am I right in thinking that not only do you not like girls who cut their tongues, but you don't like girls who scream?

I am saddened ;)

Disco Apocalypse
02-17-2011, 02:15 AM
If only Christian had banged Lita...

Maybe he did...

Maybe Edge and Christian reformed their tag team for one night only? :shifty:

All we need now is to think of an erotic name for the sexual version of a con-chair-to...

Ultra Mantis
02-17-2011, 05:40 AM
Christian is a solid all-round performer and manages to shine regardless of how he is booked. The only thing working against him really is his physique, compared to the usual main eventer he looks skinny as hell even when you compare him to smaller guys like Jericho and Miz.

dingdongyo
02-17-2011, 11:40 AM
i stole "that's how i roll" from him. but i haven't really paid attention to him since he first left for tna.

Fox
02-17-2011, 11:32 PM
Christian has IT. He has the charisma and ability to troll an audience to the point that they want to climb over the barricade and kill him. He even had an awesome catch phrase in "That's how I roll," and had large portions of the crowd saying it with him toward the end of his WWE stint in 2004-05. Long term memory isn't a primary attribute of the wrestling fan, but I distinctly remember how incredibly over he was during his feud with John Cena, and frankly, THAT was the time when they should've pushed him to the moon and given him a cheap WWE Championship win, kind of the way they've gone with Sheamus and Edge's first WWE title win. I guarantee that if Christina had stuck around, he would've been a MITB winner and would be a former World Champion by now.

That being said, the reason people aren't seeing the greatness of Christian right now is because he is at his best when he's a full fledged heel. While his charisma and talent still come across as a face, Christian's best attributes are more noticable when he's tearing into the crowd and making fun of the faces, because he does it so well. He comes across on the mic as an intelligent and coherent person who is smart enough to make any face look stupid. Christian is a good face, but he's an AMAZING heel. He can be funny, he can be intense and angry, and more importantly, he can make you want to see him lose his next match.

Christian is also better suited when he has a body guard. His time with Tomko as his back up was incredible. It's the same thing that Miz is doing now with Alex Riley. Christian, like Miz, isn't the biggest or most intimidating guy to stand across the ring from, but when you know he has a massive beast like Tomko waiting to pounce at ringside, he immediately becomes a formidable opponent no matter who he's facing.

I say give it time. Christian WILL be a world champion some day. It's going to happen, and most likely, it will happen while he's a heel. I'm praying that he returns to Smackdown as a heel seeking revenge against Edge (for not destroying Del Rio after he took Christian out of action - "You're my BROTHER! And you didn't do for me what I would've done for you, which is put that punk Alberto Del Rio in the hospital!" - sort of thing. Then you'll all see that Christian is greatness because that's how he rolls.

CSL
02-17-2011, 11:34 PM
Keep the belt on Edge, have Christian show up at Mania and cost him, maybe even Elimination Chamber and build Edge vs. Christian for Mania in Fox's 'scenario'.

BigDaddyCool
02-18-2011, 12:07 AM
I loved Christian back in the day and thought he was it when it came to E&C and some later work. But once he went to TNA and became champion, he fizzled out and is now just a midcarder.

Ol Dirty Dastard
02-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Ah GDB, the poster with constant sand in his vagina.

You have the constant feces in your mouth.

Mr. Nerfect
02-18-2011, 10:02 AM
I never really got Christian, either, but even I was entertained by some of his work as a heel even prior to his huge blow-up after he and Trish Stratus did their thing. The man is just relentlessly entertaining and a great worker (he never has a bad match these days).

Sycophant
02-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Honestly, I think most of the love is partly because Christian never really "got there" in the WWE. Yea, he had the ECW title, but nobody cared about that anyway. There were so many times, it seemed, that Christian was getting ready for a decent push, but it never really came to fruition. Maybe it just left more to be desired. I am not a Christian mark, but E&C would make me mark out...be it against each other or tagging up...that is purely for nostalgia reasons though.

Brigstocke
02-18-2011, 03:44 PM
I've had moments where I've loved Christian, moments where I've hated him but for the most part I've just not cared enough about him to form an opinion. To me he is just 'meh'.

I feel like this about Booker T, Christopher Daniels and Val Venis aswell.

MoFo
02-18-2011, 07:14 PM
I think hes alright, but he doesnt seem to have the same spark about him before he left for TNA.

Lock Jaw
02-18-2011, 07:30 PM
Because he hasn't had as high a place on the card/spotlight as he had before he left.

DAMN iNATOR
02-20-2011, 01:42 PM
I love Christian for his amazing work ethic in the ring, his ability to carry and/or dominate a match with a lower-tier opponent and try to help them elevate their careers while risking his own push at times. Also because despite his hard work the poor guy has never held a single WWE or World Heavyweight title (sorry, TNA fans, I know he was TNA WHC but that's not anywhere near as "prestigious" [as commentators would put it] as a WWE or WHC title run).