PDA

View Full Version : Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

House of Pancakes
04-26-2004, 11:16 AM
Comes out October 18th in the United States. It damn well better be better than Vice City.

Hired Hitman
04-26-2004, 11:31 AM
I expect a bit of vice city, namely the weapon setup (with more gta3 like weapons) and the movement control (but I like how the gta3 guy ran and walked more than how Tommy moves) and a bit of gtaIII will be in the game, more trash on the streets, more of a today's look at a city... but we'll see when it's released.

MrMeJW
04-26-2004, 11:32 AM
What was wrong with Vice City?

Fryza
04-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Grand Theft Auto :-\

Hired Hitman
04-26-2004, 11:45 AM
well, Vice City was a LITTLE too easy... The story ended with a quick... HERES-THE-END.

not too bad, but still.

some people might not like the 70's/80's music :D

House of Pancakes
04-26-2004, 11:55 AM
Vice City was fun only when you had most of it done and you could run around rampaging on the city and using the Hunter. I just think the environment wasn't as good as GTA3 and it took away from the game. There's a big GTA:SA thread on Rajah that I've contributed to, so I guess I'll copy/paste what I've said there:

They said Vice City was 2.5 times bigger, but Vice City was half beaches and airports and water, which were essentially useless in the game. Straight land, Liberty City was bigger and more intricate. I think I realized last week that Vice City sucks. It really doesn't have nearly as much replay value as GTA3. I'm hoping the biggest improvement in San Andreas is better missions and a better storyline. The missions in Vice City weren't hard, they were just frustrating and annoying, and the storyline was total shit. The last cut-scene is terrible.

GTA3 was just a lot more original and had more replay value. With Vice City, all of the side missions and hidden packages and this and that was boring as **** to do.

In GTA3 it was a lot more fun, and I still think Liberty City is a MUCH better city than VC. VC is almost all open land, there's nothing to explore. I remember just spending hours exploring Liberty City, and it was great that each of the three sub-cities were completely different. I thought the missions were cooler, the characters were better, and the storyline was great.

So what would everybody like to see in this new game?

I may have mentioned this before, but I think a big flaw in Vice City specifically was that once you played through an eighth of the game and got to Starfish Island, there was basically a Ferrari or a Porsche on every block to steal. It made garages useless. I think they should heighten the value of good cars. If you find that ultra-rare Lamborghini sitting on the street, you'll probably wanna store it in your garage every now and then and take care of it, instead of using it for one mission, ruining it, and getting another one by going back to the same area.

I also think there should be difficulty levels. Maybe even two - easy and normal. On easy, it's noticeably easier, gunfights are slower, missions aren't as packed with bad guys, and you can cheat. On normal, it's more challenging, and you're not allowed to cheat, and there's more to it than the simpler version. This would do a couple of things. It would help beginners get the hang of the game and the controls, it would lessen cheating [as it wouldn't be rewarding], and it would be a "new feature" they could advertise for the game.

Yeah, having a mildly destructable environment would definitely help. Sniping from a helicopter would help too.

There still haven't been any updates on the game since it's announced title, logo, and release date [btw, the logo is kinda lame], but E3 coming up in May should change that.

Sephiroth
04-26-2004, 04:10 PM
Cool, only thing is that i ain't back in the US when it is released :(

Mr. Nerfect
04-26-2004, 04:26 PM
I've never been too crazy about the GTA series, but own GTA3 and VC on PC. I can't say they are my favourite games, but they sure are fun. I definately think Rockstar will do well with this one, and I expect they might build it off GTA 3, strengthening it in every way.

DS
04-26-2004, 04:44 PM
There will be no San Andreas as E3.

TheNamelessOne
04-27-2004, 05:13 AM
awwww shoot, I completly disagree with some of your comments (Er, exactly how is a sequel meant to be MORE original than the previous version?). And people shouldn't be allowed to cheat? Since when is someone else cheating ruining your gaming experience? Cheats are there if you want to use them - If you don't want to use cheats, don't activate them! Who cares if they lessen the reward for other people? They activated them and should know that would happen.

House of Pancakes
04-27-2004, 10:39 PM
You could cheat in the easier level. The regular game having cheats wouldn't be a regular game, it would be an easy game. If you wanna cheat, it may as well be fun and easy anyway, because that's what cheating does. If you want a harder version, no cheating seems to be a nice idea.

Shaggy
04-28-2004, 12:30 AM
I thought GTA 3 was pretty good and GTA Vice City was even better. I like the way they are going. Sure there were just the little changes but it was still gold. Im cant wait to find out what little change they made to the new GTA game. The best change in Vice City was the Motor Cycles and how you could jump off of them.

Scarface
04-28-2004, 05:20 AM
I'm hoping for a customisable car feature in this one. Adding some front mounted machine guns ala GTA2 would be awesome. Oh and a locker for weapons to be stored.

TheNamelessOne
04-28-2004, 05:25 AM
You could cheat in the easier level. The regular game having cheats wouldn't be a regular game, it would be an easy game. If you wanna cheat, it may as well be fun and easy anyway, because that's what cheating does. If you want a harder version, no cheating seems to be a nice idea.

I kinda agree with this, but I still think that using cheats should merely be an option in any difficulty level. You could cut back on the rewards though. For instance if you complete the game 100% you unlock lots of secrets. If you do it with cheating, you get half of those secrets.

Jon Kano
04-28-2004, 10:42 AM
I could spend ages going over what I thought was good in each GTA game and what should be in this one, but I won't.

Basically, I thought Liberty City was better as far as gameplay goes, it looked better, had hills and not just ground level in Vice, but Vice had that extra bit that made it better.

I have heard you can swim in SA?

One aspect about the whole GTA series I wish they had done was to make more sense out of the games:

GTA - No specific character introduction - set - present
GTA 2 - " " - set - present/future
GTA London " " - set - Past
GTA 3 - " " - set - Present
GTA:Vice City - Play as Tommy Vercetti - Set - Past

It just seems to me that the whole GTA experience wouldve been much better if we had a recognizable character to be throughout the games. This wouldve enhanced the storylines and characters he met in all games and just made it all better.

DS
04-28-2004, 04:58 PM
There is no confirmation about swimming or anything by that matter. Only thing that has been released is a released date.

Disturbed316
04-28-2004, 05:08 PM
Aparantly 50 Cent is going to be in it :-\

House of Pancakes
04-28-2004, 05:53 PM
Where'd you hear that?

DS
04-28-2004, 06:07 PM
There was just gossip about 50 Cent being in talks with Rockstar so everyone jumped on the GTA bandwagon. If he's going to play any part in it, it will deal with music and not a character.

el fregadero
04-28-2004, 08:26 PM
That's still too much of 50 Cent.

Scarface
04-29-2004, 07:01 AM
That's still too much of 50 Cent.

Yeah thank god for the radio stations feature. :)

PorkSoda
04-29-2004, 07:43 AM
Vice City sucked, way too hard for missions, but it was fun to shoot stuff.