PDA

View Full Version : I don't think I have ever been emotionally invested in character in a video game

BigDaddyCool
02-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Disclaimer, I'm not trolling just trying to have a discussion.

Now on to the topic. I do not believe I have ever been emotionally invested in the characters in games. Not a single one. I have liked them in so much as you can like a one dimensional plumber man stepping on turtles and mushrooms. But just not the way I am in other media. I have been emotionally invested in characters on tv and movies and in books and comics, but never have I felt the same level of connection for characters in video games. I believe there may be a few reasons:

1) Maybe it is because you can get extra lives and continues or try again. But then that doesn't really explain why there is no connection to the supporting characters who can still die.

2) Maybe the stories aren't written well enough for that connection to be made. I've heard time and time again the story usually comes later in the game making process so it has to be made to fit what is already there and there are some streches to be made which cause plot holes which breaks connections being made.

3) It could be I just haven't played the right games.

4) Maybe I don't understand what it means to be emotionally connected...which I doubt. I know it is more than just caring if they die or not. It should be being happen when they are happy, feeling pain with they feel pain, and going on the emotional roller coaster with them. But for whatever reason I just see them as little pixel men running around blasting stuff. But I know it isn't just because they are little pixel men blasting stuff because I have felt that connection to Buzz Lightyear and he is a little pixel man that has been known to blast stuff.

Xero
02-18-2011, 11:09 AM
Only ones I've ever had this with was a number in the Metal Gear Solid series. Otherwise, not really.

BigDaddyCool
02-18-2011, 11:12 AM
I've never played metal gear.

Drakul
02-18-2011, 11:13 AM
It depends how you look at the game. If you look at it as just a game and a series of challenges linked by a story you probably wouldn't feel invested.

If you looked at it as a story you play through and take part in, you'd maybe feel more invested in a character.

You also need good writing and good performances by the voice actors for emotional investment to even be a possability.

BigDaddyCool
02-18-2011, 11:17 AM
Also, I'm bring this up as a further discussion for video games a art discussion, but I believe this topic to merit its own discussion.

BigDaddyCool
02-18-2011, 11:19 AM
It depends how you look at the game. If you look at it as just a game and a series of challenges linked by a story you probably wouldn't feel invested.

If you looked at it as a story you play through and take part in, you'd maybe feel more invested in a character.

You also need good writing and good performances by the voice actors for emotional investment to even be a possability.

I think you bring up an excellent point here. I was thinking along the line of the Assassin's Creed series. I see the story unfolding, and I pay that to see whats next, but still the characters are a little bland still get me invested, but those are some of the closest I've seen.

Swiss Ultimate
02-18-2011, 11:26 AM
Kind of get invested in left 4 dead.

ooTin
02-18-2011, 12:04 PM
Only ones I've ever had this with was a number in the Metal Gear Solid series. Otherwise, not really.

This

#BROKEN Hasney
02-18-2011, 12:31 PM
I've played a fuck yon of games, but I've probably only be "invested" in 4 series.

MGS, Shenmue, Mass Effect and Deadly Premonition.

Requiem
02-18-2011, 12:33 PM
MGS, Mass Effect, Zelda.. some of the few games to actually get me emotionally invested in the story/characters.

illmatic
02-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Even though I was very disappointed in the game, Mafia II got me into the characters. Not even the main character but Joe. The end of the game actually got to me and that is a pretty rare thing.

I loved ME and ME2, though I never got invested in Shepard. Again, I was more into the other characters.

BigDaddyCool
02-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Even though I was very disappointed in the game, Mafia II got me into the characters. Not even the main character but Joe. The end of the game actually got to me and that is a pretty rare thing.

I loved ME and ME2, though I never got invested in Shepard. Again, I was more into the other characters.

Interesting, see this is the kind of thing I am wanting to know.

Requiem
02-18-2011, 01:05 PM
I got invested in several of the characters in Mass Effect. I think the character customization, and being able to carry a character over to the next game helped a lot. Keeps you connected all the way through.

#BROKEN Hasney
02-18-2011, 01:17 PM
I didn't get invested in ME to start with, but the female Shepards performance really gives the game a better hook character wise.

Extreme Angle
02-18-2011, 01:53 PM
Metal Gear Solid 4. The very end with Ocelot, was more just emotion in how far the series had come.
Red Dead Redemption was a severe tear jerker.

BigDaddyCool
02-18-2011, 01:58 PM
No, he came back as a zombie, so I was fine with it.

El Fangel
02-18-2011, 02:25 PM

Fignuts
02-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Red Dead, Metal Gear, and Mass Effect are the only ones I can really think

Eklipse
02-19-2011, 12:02 AM
Final Fantasy X is the only one for me.

OssMan
02-19-2011, 01:05 AM
Play Mother 3

Emperor Smeat
02-19-2011, 01:17 AM
I ended up becoming invested with Travis Touchdown from No More Heroes mostly due to the story being completely crazy and unbelievable but at the same time felt amazing once I finished both games in the series.

Before that, Link during Majora's Mask since the whole story was about a Moon falling in 3 days and until the very last playthrough, there was nothing you could do to save the world. Link could travel back in time but everyone else ended up getting killed by the moon each time.

El Fangel
02-19-2011, 10:03 AM
FF Tactics, as I used to create myself and my friends as the 5 players.

bigdaddysuperfreak
02-19-2011, 10:35 AM
I was broken up when Aeris was killed by sephiroth.

dronepool
02-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Final Fantasy 7, Metal Gear Solid series, Legacy Of Kain series.... ect

loopydate
02-21-2011, 04:27 PM
I was broken up when Aeris was killed by sephiroth.

Ultra Mantis
02-21-2011, 06:01 PM
The Metal Gear Solid series definately, especially 4. Final Fantasy 7, once Aeris died it took away the bubble of safety around your characters. My first time through Heavy Rain was pretty gutting also.

Big Fat Mike
02-21-2011, 10:30 PM
it's really what makes or breaks any game. For example, I'm sure that Final Fantasy 12 was a pretty good game, but I could never keep interest long enough to beat it because all the characters were whiny twats.

Big Fat Mike
02-21-2011, 10:31 PM
The Metal Gear Solid series definately, especially 4. Final Fantasy 7, once Aeris died it took away the bubble of safety around your characters. My first time through Heavy Rain was pretty gutting also.

Heavy Rain is another perfect example. The gameplay did not set the world on fire, but the characters made you want to keep on going.

Kane Knight
02-21-2011, 10:38 PM
BDC cried when John Marston died.

Not emotionally invested my sweet and bountiful ass.

Lara Emily
02-22-2011, 02:26 AM
Xenosaga. I love Rubido and Albeido

dronepool
02-22-2011, 02:42 AM
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lFiLNc46jAM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This made me love Raziel.

LoDownM
02-22-2011, 02:45 AM
I didn't get invested in ME to start with, but the female Shepards performance really gives the game a better hook character wise.

Jennifer Hale is a great voice actor. Her doing Trishka's voice makes Bulletstorm 10 times better then it already is.

I haven't really been emotionally attached to any characters or anything, but when Rebbecca Chang got shot in DR2, i was pretty shocked. Same with Aeris dieing in FF7.

#BROKEN Hasney
02-22-2011, 03:50 AM
Heavy Rain is another perfect example. The gameplay did not set the world on fire, but the characters made you want to keep on going.

Really? I thought the writing was a load of shit and wanted everyone of those sons of bitches to die so I could stop playing. Ugh.

Kane Knight
02-22-2011, 09:04 AM
Xenosaga. I love Rubido and Albeido

You should play Persona 4. there's a tranny in it.

Ultra Mantis
02-22-2011, 10:46 AM
it's really what makes or breaks any game. For example, I'm sure that Final Fantasy 12 was a pretty good game, but I could never keep interest long enough to beat it because all the characters were whiny twats.

Yeah it's pretty impossible to give a shit about the characters in FF12, they never do anything interesting and a majority of them having nothing to do with the actual story.

OssMan
02-22-2011, 12:51 PM
Also Zone of the Enders. I feel like the character development of ADA and her relationship with Leo gets so overlooked in that series. The way the game ends is insane.

Splaya
02-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Final Fantasy 7- When Aeris dies that shit was brutal. Going through the game, you knew Sephiroth was a bad ass, but you never knew he would actually kill her.

Heavy Rain- Was so pissed when I found out who the Origami killer was...

Final Fantasy 8- Not so much invested in the characters to more or less how I wanted to kill Ultemecia.

Metal Gear Solid 1- Was so gutted when Meryl got sniped. When I played the game the first time through, I thought for sure if you didn't get back in time, that she would die. I was like 12 at the time too

BigDaddyCool
02-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Should I buy heavy rain?

Splaya
02-22-2011, 02:37 PM
If you are all into having to play a non stop action game then no. If you can stand a game that is slow paced, then yes.

BigDaddyCool
02-22-2011, 03:26 PM
maybe, I like a game where I know I'm going stuff.

BigDaddyCool
02-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Maybe I'll get a used copy.

Kane Knight
02-22-2011, 08:17 PM
Metal Gear Solid 1- Was so gutted when Meryl got sniped. When I played the game the first time through, I thought for sure if you didn't get back in time, that she would die. I was like 12 at the time too

Gay.

Should I buy heavy rain?

Do you have a PS3?

Kane Knight
02-22-2011, 08:22 PM
There's a dmeo for Heavy Rain. You should be able to get an idea from that.

El Fangel
02-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Oh, Gotta say John Marston and to an extent Niko Bellic.

Kane Knight
02-22-2011, 11:43 PM
Oh, Gotta say John Marston and to an extent Niko Bellic.

Niko's a sociopath and that's his only character trait. no wonder you relate.

:p

Kane Knight
02-22-2011, 11:47 PM
Also, I gotta say this would make a good Extra Credits vid.

Though I have a feeling Dan's head would get stuck up his own ass trying to prove why one of those three games he mentions almost every video epitomises emotional investment.

You know, like the roleplaying potential in Missile Command.

BigDaddyCool
02-23-2011, 09:30 AM
maybe that or he will mentions some game no one has heard of yet and then the extra cred view will crash its serve all trying to log in at the same time to join in the rich character development.

Kane Knight
02-23-2011, 10:23 AM
We should talk about why you should be emotionally invested in Pac Man.

BigDaddyCool
02-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Ms. Pacman.

Skippord
02-23-2011, 04:17 PM
I did not know people got emotionally invested in videogame characters

dronepool
02-23-2011, 04:24 PM
I did not know people got emotionally invested in videogame characters

http://www.martingordon.org/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/the_more_you_know.jpg

BigDaddyCool
02-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Seriously, you've got to be kidding right now.

Kane Knight
02-23-2011, 08:03 PM
Ms. Pacman.

You don't understand her because you're not a feminist.

KleptoKlown
02-23-2011, 08:05 PM
Only video game/character I can remember being really into was Max Payne.

Excellent story line, excellent game. I remember being awake in the wee hours of the morning, hairs on the back of my neck standing up every time I went into one of Max's V induced dreams...

but at the end of the day, if the developers ruined the game, mad Max wear tight'n'bright clothes, and renamed him Maximus "Anal" Payne...I wouldnt lose any sleep over it.

Kane Knight
02-23-2011, 08:56 PM
I cried at the end of Duck Hunt.

bigdaddysuperfreak
02-23-2011, 10:04 PM
Is it because your mom lost her job retrieving ducks?

Lara Emily
02-23-2011, 11:43 PM
You should play Persona 4. there's a tranny in it.

Already have. Been a while though love that game and Persona 3 as well. Actually those are games I got emotionally invested in

Lara Emily
02-23-2011, 11:50 PM
Only video game/character I can remember being really into was Max Payne.

Excellent story line, excellent game. I remember being awake in the wee hours of the morning, hairs on the back of my neck standing up every time I went into one of Max's V induced dreams...

but at the end of the day, if the developers ruined the game, mad Max wear tight'n'bright clothes, and renamed him Maximus "Anal" Payne...I wouldnt lose any sleep over it.

Oh Max Payne is another great example.

Others: Mass Effect series (especially Jack from ME:2)
Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit until it went batshit I really cared
Also Shadow of Destiny (A fantastic early PS 2 game)

Kane Knight
02-24-2011, 09:22 AM
Is it because your mom lost her job retrieving ducks?

Lousy Mexicans.