PDA

View Full Version : Rey Mysterio Leaving?

Providence Peep
02-22-2011, 09:11 PM
Just saw this report on WrestleZone (not sure if it's accurate) - sorta wondering what you folks of it.

WrestleZone has exclusively learned that WWE is under the impression that when Rey Mysterio's contract expires with the company in a little less than a year, the popular luchador will not be renewing.

"Rey feels his time in WWE is up," a key WWE insider told us this evening,"his performance in the Elimination Chamber is a perfect example of Rey being used in the right fashion by WWE management. He really worked hard to get Edge over the right way, even though it's obvious there are no big plans for Rey at Wrestlemania."

WrestleZone was also told about a creative meeting in which a suggestion was made that since Alberto Del Rio is the #1 contender to the World's Heavyweight Championship, consideration should be given to Rey Mysterio winning the title, and making the championship match at Wrestlemania a match between two Mexican nationals.

"The thought was to appeal to the large Latino community in Atlanta," we were told, "and to attempt to promote the match the same way UFC promoted Cain Velasquez's fight against Brock Lesnar."

WrestleZone was told the pitch was never even made to WWE Chairman Vince McMahon, because both Raw lead writer Brian Gewirtz and Smackdown lead writer Michael Hayes have been told Mysterio "will most likely not be re-signing after his current deal is up."

We have been told WWE would like to do some sort of merchandise agreement with Mysterio, but the negotiations haven't gotten to that stage yet.

Xero
02-22-2011, 09:11 PM
"WrestleZone has exclusively learned"

I stopped reading there.

Nicky Fives
02-22-2011, 09:31 PM
The guy is beat up and his body won't let him continue wrestling in the fashion he has in the past..... He's only 36 and I can see him taking a few years off a la Chris Jericho & Shawn Michaels to heal up, spend time with the family, etc. then come back and excel for another small run.....

ron the dial
02-22-2011, 09:32 PM
i lost interest a long time ago. could care less if he does go, but i understand why they keep him around. hope that he really does feel this way, though.

Mr. Pierre
02-22-2011, 09:38 PM
I've always been a big fan of Rey. He might not have the most depth character-wise, but he consistently puts on great matches, especially at PPVs. It would definitely suck if he left after his deal.

BollywoodSingh
02-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Mysterio-Del Rio would have been a good idea for WrestleMania had they not already feuded a few months ago.

Jordan
02-22-2011, 10:45 PM
Rey is great, he's a legend and if he goes away for a while he will surly return eventually.

Graveler
02-22-2011, 10:48 PM
If this is true, then I don't mind at all. Those surgeries on his knee has really caught up to him. I think it'd be best for him to hang up the boots. Can't wait for Mistico though

The Gold Standard
02-22-2011, 11:04 PM
I've always been a big fan of Rey. He might not have the most depth character-wise, but he consistently puts on great matches, especially at PPVs. It would definitely suck if he left after his deal.

He does always put on great matches, but aren't they all the same now?

St. Jimmy
02-22-2011, 11:05 PM
us;dr (unreliable source)

MoFo
02-22-2011, 11:39 PM
This story comes around as often as the 'Cena heel turn' and 'CM Punk in teh doghouse' ones.

BigCrippyZ
02-22-2011, 11:59 PM
I've always enjoyed and appreciated his earlier work in WCW and loved when he first came to WWE. Nowadays though, I really have lost interest in his character and his matches are all the same to me at this point.

I just never really bought him as a credible World champion tbh. I'm not a fan of ONLY huge/roided guys being world champions, but I'm also not a fan of midgets wrestling, and he always came across too small (almost childlike/comical) to me as world champion.

Londoner
02-23-2011, 12:28 AM
Good, been bored of him for ages.

YoungFlyFlashy
02-23-2011, 12:48 AM
Oh well big deal. His run was up when he was darted by Nash, and then unmasked by Eric and WCW. Had a minor run, only reason he won the rumble and belt was cause Eddie passed away, let's be honest here. He won't be missed.

Fignuts
02-23-2011, 03:47 AM
Oh well big deal. His run was up when he was darted by Nash, and then unmasked by Eric and WCW. Had a minor run, only reason he won the rumble and belt was cause Eddie passed away, let's be honest here. He won't be missed.

lol what? Mysterio has been one of the most over people in the entire company for almost a decade. He was winning the title regardless.

And he's ALWAYS been over. Some guys have times where they stagnate and aren't as over with the crowd. Mysterio has gotten huge pops from his wwe debut, all the way to last sunday.

Regardless of how the IWC feels, he has been a huge money maker for wwe, and saying his run was up in wcw is ridiculous.

KIRA
02-23-2011, 03:54 AM
Oh well big deal. His run was up when he was darted by Nash, and then unmasked by Eric and WCW.

Yyyyyeea I'm gonna have to stop you there buddy

Tazz Dan
02-23-2011, 04:46 AM
Is it just me, or has the Wrestling Forum gotten dumber again recently. And it's not even ridiculous socks making the posts.

Favre4Ever
02-23-2011, 05:00 AM
Hope this is true. Rey has been pretty much the same character since I started watching wrestling 14 years ago and I'm pretty tired of him. He'll never top the work he did with Kurt Angle anyways.

Mr. Nerfect
02-23-2011, 05:08 AM
Yeah, making fun of Rey is dumb. He's been a true success story for the WWE, and has won two World Titles. He hasn't always been booked the best, but to deny that he is a future Hall of Famer and one of the biggest stars in the WWE is completely retarded.

I just hope the WWE uses Rey Mysterio to create new stars. What they need to realise, though, is that beating Rey Mysterio isn't enough. Because of Rey's size, a bigger guy going over Rey doesn't build them up. Rey needs to put over some smaller workers, or team with some guys to transfer his face heat.

Disco Apocalypse
02-23-2011, 05:29 AM
Yeah, making fun of Rey is dumb. He's been a true success story for the WWE, and has won two World Titles. He hasn't always been booked the best, but to deny that he is a future Hall of Famer and one of the biggest stars in the WWE is completely retarded.

I just hope the WWE uses Rey Mysterio to create new stars. What they need to realise, though, is that beating Rey Mysterio isn't enough. Because of Rey's size, a bigger guy going over Rey doesn't build them up. Rey needs to put over some smaller workers, or team with some guys to transfer his face heat.

Del Rio. Him beating Mysterio made him stand out from a lot of other new talent. He did need the next achievement in the form of the Rumble, but it was still that initial feud with Mysterio that put him on the (WWE) map.

Why would you put smaller guys against Rey? They'd need some kind of smaller division or weight-class, that just wouldn't make sense...:shifty:

Rammsteinmad
02-23-2011, 06:17 AM
I've always liked Rey. He'll never be in my top ten or anything, but he's always been a fantastic worker who pushes himself, and his opponent in the ring. He's still fairly young, and has already had an amazing, Hall-of-Fame-bound career.

With that said, I wouldn't really be too bothered by him leaving. It's not a shot at his in-ring skills, (hey, if anyone can put on the matches he was putting on in WCW for 15 years straight, let me know), but his character seriously bores the fuck out of me. I mean he's been the exact same since he debuted in WWE ALMOST ten years ago.

They had a great chance to freshen his character up with the whole Mask vs. SES thing with Punk, where he could have become a reluctant heel, and then gradually grown to like his new role, but unfortunately that never happened. :(

Fignuts
02-23-2011, 06:33 AM
Rey, I think, is in a similar boat as Cena, where being a face moves way too much merchandise to ever go heel.

WWE is a business first, and a wrestling promotion second.

whiteyford
02-23-2011, 07:59 AM
This rumour pops up every 6 months or so but if his knees are as fucked as everyone keeps saying i can see him working a reduced schedule if nothing else.

RiX1024
02-23-2011, 08:15 AM
His time is up me thinks but he still can produce great matches and he's way over with the fans (especially kids and latin audiences) and sells merchandise. but the main problem is his injuries and agreed with whitey a reduced schedule would be ideal for him and agreed with Ramm with the fact that Rey Rey should change his character because the guy needs a change so his act wouldn't bore us fans or become stale.

Rammsteinmad
02-23-2011, 08:58 AM
This rumour pops up every 6 months or so but if his knees are as fucked as everyone keeps saying i can see him working a reduced schedule if nothing else.

There's been rumours about his knees being fucked up and needing surgery again floating around again recently, but that never stopped him from competeing in a TLC match of an Elimination Chamber.

whiteyford
02-23-2011, 09:28 AM
He was supposed to get surgery around this time last year but wanted to work 'Mania, then covered for injurys/guys leaving, think he has had time off but i remember reading surgery would leave him out for a few months.

GD
02-24-2011, 09:07 AM
I strongly believe that Rey should stick around for a while and help out the new guys.

loopydate
02-24-2011, 04:18 PM
Is it just me, or has the Wrestling Forum gotten dumber again recently. And it's not even ridiculous socks making the posts.

It's not just you.

Sixx
02-24-2011, 04:40 PM
Finally.

Juan
02-28-2011, 11:59 AM
Rey Mysterio shot down rumors yesterday that he is retiring.

He wrote on Twitter, The rumor is I might B retiring soon! NOT TRUE, got many years left of entertaining my FANS!U guys keep me going! Luv it!"

He also commented on the arrival of Sin Cara to WWE.

"Wish the best 2 SinCara! & hope that more Latino wrestlers make it to the WWE! I think

Jordan
02-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Rey is a legend, the Rey haters are the same as Cena haters. Smarks who go to live shows and cheer the heels. Sure thats fun, most of us love CM Punk the nastier he is but come on, is there no value to you in a good babyface?

Mysterio is a lock for the Hall of Fame and if he does stick around for four or five more years he will have a legacy that will rival The Undertaker or Andre The Giant. Yes I just said that. He is a phenom and one of a kind. And I bet by the time he does retire, he will have pulled in more money for the WWE than most would have ever expected.

My feeling on furthering his legacy is that he needs a new gimmick of sort. Nothing too drastic, but something like The Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak. Perhaps it could be his mask. His feuds could end up in Mask vs Hair matches, or even Mask vs Mask if the opponent and situation were right. It's important to give Rey big wins at least once a month, it keeps his character believable.

One final thought on Rey. Every WWE show I have been to in the past maybe four or five years that Rey was on. His matches were always the most entertaining on the card, the guy is awesome.

Jura
02-28-2011, 12:17 PM
I prefer the enigmatic, elusive, awe-inspiring wrestler Ray Mustardio.