PDA

View Full Version : "He broke 6,000 guitars, and never drew a dime..."

Rollermacka
03-02-2011, 01:12 PM
<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oXMlo3mQZDU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oXMlo3mQZDU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

I know it's kinda an oxymoron but Hulk Hogan looks REALLY old in this vid (as in he looked alot better/ younger when he rebuted in WWE a couple years later) In the Fall of WCW DVD the quote that really stuck out to me is when Mike Graham says that Jarrett "broke 6,000 guitars, and never drew a dime... he really thought in his little Tennessee brain that he was bigger and better and would draw more money than Hulk Hogan." I will admit that I wasnt always tuned in to WCW in those last years but I was much more interested in watching Jarrett vs Sting/ Booker T/ DDP/ etc that to watch Hulk Hogan for the millionth time wrestle Flair (or bury young talent like Awsome, The Wall, Kidman among others) I agree with BizzaroKing that I think they bad mouthed Jarrett soo much was because of where he is at today and theyd say the same about Hogan or Bischoff now. Do you think that the idea of pushing Jarret (among others) and slowly phasing out Hogan was the horrible idea they tried to make it out to seem?

whiteyford
03-02-2011, 01:23 PM
If only they'd started it sooner, one of WCWs biggest problem was that they didnt try to freshen up their mainevents.

Supreme Olajuwon
03-02-2011, 01:36 PM
It's probably a mix of both. They could've done more with newer guys but I never thought Jarrett should've been one of them.

For me, Jarrett's an excellent midcarder and a horrible main eventer. I just never got the It Factor vibe from him that said he could be a top draw.

Ultra Mantis
03-02-2011, 01:41 PM
They had better options for a main event push at the time, Jarrett wasn't getting the reactions to justify hotshotting him to the top of the card so it always felt forced to see him up there.

Nicky Fives
03-02-2011, 01:49 PM
mix of both..... all the typical marks will pay to see Hogan until he is 150, but the smart fans were tired of the Hogans, Flairs, Lugers in the main event and wanted to see the main event scene freshened up with the Bookers, Jarrett, Storms, Kidmans, etc.

Fignuts
03-02-2011, 01:59 PM
I feel like Jarrett is a great main event heel. But not as a face.

seapig4
03-02-2011, 02:04 PM
After watching that its amazing WCW lasted as long as it did.

KIRA
03-02-2011, 02:05 PM
mix of both..... all the typical marks will pay to see Hogan until he is 150, but the smart fans were tired of the Hogans, Flairs, Lugers in the main event and wanted to see the main event scene freshened up with the Bookers, Jarrett, Storms, Kidmans, etc.

Storm, Kidman and Booker yes Jarrett not so much.

Agreed seapig the sheer lack of solid management is ridiculous. even when the company was on top it was a captain less ship

amazing.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-02-2011, 02:20 PM
I was well into WCW at the powers that be era and your top level had Sting, Goldberg (injured for most of it though) Hogan, Flair, Sid, DDP, Benoit and Bret Hart. Basically, when Jarrett joined during Russo's first period, he was pushed ahead of Booker T, Eddie Guerrero, Shane Douglas, Dean Malenko, Vampiro, Rey Mysterio, Kidman and one hell of a lot of others who never got that chance in WCW or later WWE (Kanyon being a personal fave.)

Now he was just an alright in the right, alright on the mic former WWE IC Champ, not some major acquisition that pushing would boost ratings, so looking back, it's completely flabbergasting how he was pushed. I know he was Russo's friends, but the people WCW already had that could do a better job than him in that same position were in double figures.

God, then he won that title then having a conversation with Russo "on top of this, that's happening too?!" and reformed the nWo, I just turned over. God that was awful.

TheChamp
03-02-2011, 02:52 PM
If only they'd started it sooner, one of WCWs biggest problem was that they didnt try to freshen up their mainevents.

I agree 100%. The younger guys should have been pushed harder, earlier, say around the initial nWo time period. You could put some hot talent in the faction and have people think "Man, he's a badass. He don't need them. Can't wait until he breaks free." Doing that could have better legitimized the group as a force more than their sheer numbers did. On the opposite end, some young guy could have been like a lone wolf, taking on the nWo alone. The rise of Goldberg was good, but other, more established stars should have gotten their time.

Tazz Dan
03-02-2011, 03:04 PM
I was always a fan of Jarrett's, don't know why, I just seemed to like the guy. Was happy for him when he won the belt, but he wasn't the draw I'm sure he thought he was.

Couldn't really give a shit about him these days, although his feud in TNA with Kurt Angle sounds interesting, but I don't watch the show.

Next Big Thing
03-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Some of those DVD and Roundtable discussions are bullshit. If Jarrett was in the WWE at the time that DVD was put together Graham would have never said that.

Same deal with Flair on that Roundtable about the fall of WCW bad mouthing Bischoff and Russo as incompetent idiots only to gladly go work for them later.

I personally am not a fan of Jarrett though and don't think wrestling would be missing much if he had never stepped foot in a ring.

Juan
03-02-2011, 03:16 PM
They buried him because Jeff Jarrett sucks.

TheChamp
03-02-2011, 03:24 PM
In my mind, Jeff Jarrett has always been a good heel. Not on the HHH circa 99-2000 or the Hogan circa 1996-98 level, but a good heel nonetheless. His push to the top may have been politically motivated, but it also just may have been his turn. At least he wasn't trying to hold on to any '80s reputation. The fathers of the kids that watch wrestling today may have liked you, but the kids themselves may want to see something new.

Schlomey
03-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Jarrett has NEVER done it for me. WWF/WCW/TNA. He is talented and has been a part of some cool matches but he has never drawn me to watching a show.

Eklipse
03-02-2011, 09:15 PM
I've never had any interest in watching ANYTHING that he has EVER done. It took him being co-owner of an organization for him to be a "top dog."

Kane Knight
03-03-2011, 11:42 AM
Wow. It's almost like, putting someone boring up top is a bad idea!

Kane Knight
03-03-2011, 11:43 AM
Almost.

Aguakate
03-03-2011, 12:44 PM
LOL

Looking back, how could anyone think it was Jeff Jarrett singing? The voice was nothing like his...

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mVVIrM7zzKU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr. Nerfect
03-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Jeff Jarrett is talented. He can wrestle a good-to-great match, he can cut a good promo, but he just doesn't feel like a top star. He seems natural in the spot in TNA now, partially because he booked himself so strongly into that role when the company first started.

Jarrett has a lot to offer the business, but he should not be the centre-point of any wrestling company today. He needs to be making new stars, and it's kind of sad to see him still in a wrestling ring. He should bow-out sometime soon, and put over some new guys in the process.

03-04-2011, 09:11 AM
Jarrett is an awful face, slappy. But he's a pretty good heel slapnuts. Let's hear it for J-A-doubleF J-A-doubleR-e-double-t.

As far as being a draw, forget about it. Cue someone posting a picture of some fat "it's still real to me" wearing an "I came to see JJ" teeshirt.

Grablot
03-04-2011, 09:15 AM
Jarett is horrible I dont know how anyone could like him.

The Genius
03-04-2011, 10:16 AM
i was never interested in jarrett when he was in the main event scene but when he was an aspiring horseman or in his country music gimmick i found him pretty entertaining.

Kane Knight
03-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Jarett is horrible I dont know how anyone could like him.

Considering the first three words I don't know how he's not one of the biggest IWC darlings of all time.

SlickyTrickyDamon
03-04-2011, 01:24 PM
Considering the first three words I don't know how he's not one of the biggest IWC darlings of all time.

People have an allergic reaction to wrestlers who are shoved down their throats.

screech
03-04-2011, 01:30 PM
I have always been a fan of Jarrett, but I still don't think of him as "the guy" and never really did.

Jordan
03-04-2011, 01:41 PM
The only time Jarrett was a draw for me was in TNA with his feud with Raven on the weekly PPV's, that was great wrestling.

Jordan
03-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Also, Jarrett could have been a mega player in WCW for real if they would have booked him against Flair in the late 90's and had him go over, proving to be an even dirtier player. That could have launched him in a big way instead of just being booked at the top, he could have earned it in the fans eyes.

Kane Knight
03-05-2011, 12:15 AM
People have an allergic reaction to wrestlers who are shoved down their throats.

Oh, so they have to be shitty and obscure?

So basically, the smarks are like hipsters? Only they were hipsters before being a hipster became mainstream?

*grooooooan*

MoFo
03-05-2011, 12:42 AM
The last thing I remember watching of WCW was that really awful "Ms Hancock is pregnant" storyline with him and David Flair.

No coincidence WCW died a few months later.