PDA

View Full Version : New TNA Concept Idea

thebladejob.com
03-02-2011, 02:26 PM
It seems as though TNA has reached a plateau in terms of popularity. Pushing former WWE and WCW stars has gotten the company this far, but to break through that glass ceiling Dixie needs to do something that sets her product apart from Vince’s. TNA needs an attraction that is unique to them and only them. I have an idea that won’t necessarily make the Florida based promotion number one, but might encourage a significant amount of fans to “cross the line.”

One of the most exciting times to be a sports fan is during ‘March Madness.’ Both causal and die hard college basketball fans spend hours filling out several tournament brackets and gluing themselves to the television to see if their predictions come to fruition. What I propose is TNA do something similar. Beginning at the Victory Road pay-per-view in March, at the height of the madness, the organization launches a 32 man tournament which would culminate at the No Surrender event in September. Not just any tournament, the biggest wrestling tournament in the history of the industry. 31 matches over the course of six months with the winner receiving a World Heavyweight title match in the main event of the promotion’s biggest PPV, Bound for Glory. During this time rivalries are birthed out of the happenings that occur during the tournament. Fans will be encouraged to fill out brackets on the TNAwrestling.com with a grand prize, such as a trip to Bound for Glory, going to the person with the most accurate predictions.

This idea would be an effective method of garnering interest in the TNA product for a number of reasons. Tournament matches would carry a more “must see” feel for those that took the time to fill out brackets. In addition, there would be more reasons for logical rivalries. Spots in the tournament would be so valuable that a loss or a run-in during a tourney match could create jealousy and hatred between two wrestlers with championship aspirations. The possibilities are endless. Lastly, much like the Royal Rumble does for Wrestlemania, the tournament would add prestige to Bound for Glory. If a company spends six months determining who will main event a single pay-per-view then it must be important, right? WWE always speaks about the ‘Road to Wrestlemania,’ now TNA would have its own ‘Road to Bound for Glory’ that is double the length of its counterpart.
Like I said, this idea might not make TNA the number one organization in the world, but it is an original concept with a great deal of upside. What do you guys think?

loopydate
03-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Not bad. Only two real issues I can see.

1) TNA doesn't have a deep enough roster for 32 "top contenders."

2) Roster turnover and injuries have a way of screwing up long-term booking as it is. A six-month tournament is basically begging for a big injury to a top player.

Overall, though, I like the idea.

Jordan
03-02-2011, 02:38 PM
I love the idea, though I say make it a special PPV event. A huge tournament like Wrestlemania 4 live on PPV. The winner gets a reality TV show to build to Bound For Glory, showing them train, talk about the champ, get to know them and all. Kinda like Hogan Knows Best but not shitty, serious and sports like. Like an HBO build to a boxing fight.

Lock Jaw
03-02-2011, 02:46 PM
This idea would require long term planning, therefore it is out.

DLVH84
03-02-2011, 02:48 PM
I agree. Make it a special 4-hour PPV, like WrestleMania IV, and add a few non-tournament matches in between to give the guys in the tournament a break.

Ultra Mantis
03-02-2011, 02:53 PM
Last time TNA had a tournament it ended in a triple threat match between three babyfaces and the finish was interferance from Hulk Hogan on crutches. I think they should probably avoid tournaments at all cost with the current writers.

bigslimjj
03-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Last time TNA had a tournament it ended in a triple threat match between three babyfaces and the finish was interferance from Hulk Hogan on crutches. I think they should probably avoid tournaments at all cost with the current writers.the tournament that the Pope won last year was well done imo.

Steveviscious89
03-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Not a bad idea. Problem here is the long term planning involved as mentioned above. I also don't think that a tournament stretched out that long would hold anyone's interest. It might be interesting at first but I can easily see it losing luster after a couple months, or at least getting buried among the other rivalries. And you can't forget, the NCAA tournament is not predetermined as wrestling is, so you can't really compare the two very much. The King of the Ring tournament use to be good for pushing talent ala Steve Austin, Edge, etc.....they could do something like that except it's already been done.

seapig4
03-02-2011, 03:26 PM
Its a good idea but like it has been said before TNA don't have the talent or the forward thinking to do a six month storyline. But the one night tournament would work a treat, i really used to enjoy the king of the ring and if your TNA you may as well do something that WWE is neglecting to build up your main PPV challenger.

Nicky Fives
03-02-2011, 03:41 PM
great idea, but TNA is incapable of making it happen.... Russo would fill the tournament with clusterfucks and time limit draws like the last tournament they had.....

Kane Knight
03-02-2011, 03:54 PM
It seems as though TNA has reached a plateau in terms of popularity.

Alright, which one of you assholes bumped a thread from 2005?

*checks date*

Oh.

Tournaments are nice and all, but few of them have any lasting appeal in pro wrestling, because it's different from a real sport (And obviously so).

Things like KotR were popular because of the significance and because of the people involved. The problem being, you need people to give a shit to make that happen.

Money in the Bank is a popular match for WWE. However, I don't think TNA throwing a MitB clone would do fuck all to ratings. Why? For the same reason TNA's own "innovations" ain't done shit.

DLVH84
03-02-2011, 04:00 PM
How about taking a page from Japan and use a round-robin format for their tournaments.

bigslimjj
03-02-2011, 04:21 PM
They just had a triple threat x division tournament with all 3 way matches.They just didin't call it a tournament. I think if they were to expand that into like a 18 man triple threat tourney it could be different. Maybe add in random draws in each match for the participants,to keep it fresh.

Razzamajazz
03-02-2011, 04:24 PM
what it.....tna had a special ring, with like 6 sides or something. that's sure to make them more popular

VSG
03-02-2011, 04:31 PM
TNA can fill the talent limitation by using their contacts with Mexico and Japan and actually getting a bigger audience as well. Only thing I see blocking this is money. Oh, and Hogan.

ooTin
03-02-2011, 04:32 PM
No.
It looks good on paper.
But actually doing it?
I think people would lose interest over a 6 month period.
Not enough talent.
Injuries happen all the time.
What would they do with current story lines?
I would like to see this 32 man bracket.
Make one.

Troelar
03-02-2011, 06:31 PM
So - does the champion just sit back for 6 months and await his championship match? Or does he participate in the tournament? Or do you just not have a champion for 6 months? :)

I would also say that having a 6 month tournament - even if you're able to keep all the people from the start captured - would make it a bit hard to get new viewers. 'What's going on?' - 'Well Pope is fighting local-guy4 in his 2nd match of a giant tournament, if he wins he'll face whoever wins the match (coming up in 2 weeks time) between Matt Morgan and Mike Tenay.'
It just sorta makes it hard for new viewers?

I'm all for a big sorta tournament, but 6 months might be overdoing it.

Indifferent Clox
03-02-2011, 09:01 PM
aj v kazarian
williams v wolfe
joe v daniels
alex shelley v sabin

Gertner
03-02-2011, 10:01 PM
Do you remember the mess of a World Heavyweight Championship Tournament Russo booked in WCW? Wrestlers wouldlose in the first round and somehow end up in the 2nd.

Or the tag team title tournament disaster Russo bookd in WCW?

Kane Knight
03-03-2011, 11:41 AM
what it.....tna had a special ring, with like 6 sides or something. that's sure to make them more popular

I love you right now.

RiX1024
03-03-2011, 02:48 PM
Good on paper.....risky in reality. wrestlers get injured and we'll get bored.

bigslimjj
03-03-2011, 04:07 PM
what it.....tna had a special ring, with like 6 sides or something. that's sure to make them more popularI really wish. I truly miss the six sided ring,and six sides of steel. By far one of the best gimmick match names of the last deacade.

Droford
03-03-2011, 06:28 PM
How about they take the low card people and has beens and wwe cast offs and call it TNA survivor, only the winner stays in TNA. Would probably be a good way to thin off some of the roster. Dont know if it would need to be 32 but they could easily go 16.

Mr. Nerfect
03-04-2011, 04:20 AM
Going 6 months with it is a bit much, but TNA could really do something with a tournament, if they stuck to straight booking and didn't job the guy they wanted to push with it. The winner can call themselves "Mr. TNA" and get a title shot, as many have mentioned. Or you can even have the champion compete.

Given that TNA have 44 people on their current active roster, it wouldn't be too hard to book at 32 man tournament.

Kane Knight
03-04-2011, 12:54 PM
I really wish. I truly miss the six sided ring,and six sides of steel. By far one of the best gimmick match names of the last deacade.

and far more charismatic than your average TNA talent.