PDA

View Full Version : Best things about Russo's WCW

#BROKEN Hasney
03-11-2011, 03:04 PM
We all rip on Vince Russo, but let's have a bit of positivity. I'm still watching WCW 1999 and I love Russo's first reign as much as when it happened. So let's talk good things.

Screamin' Norman Smiley

He was as good as a jobber before Russo, but within a week of Russo coming in, he was a hardcore wrestler. Dressing up in pads and winning as the underdog. Fantastic work, the big wiggle putting everyone to sleep.

I've got some more, but I'll see if this forum can be positive about a percieved negative situation for once.

Volare
03-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Judy Bagwell on a Pole.

/thread

Seth82
03-11-2011, 03:16 PM
I actually liked NWO 2000

as well as The New Blood at the time

#BROKEN Hasney
03-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Well obviously not Judy Bagwell.

Goldberg V Sid at Haloween Havoc

The match was announced before Russo signed, but Russo wanted to keep them both strong. So what happened is Goldberg jumped Sid earlier in the night and beat the living shit out of him, blood all down his face.

Sid gets up and starts yelling "is that all you got?!"

When the match happens, it's brutal, back and forth. Eventually, Goldberg busts Sid open even worse than before and the ref has to stop the match. Sid wants more but the match is over. Both men look ridiculous strong and one of the most brutal one on one matches with no odd stipulations has happened. Beautiful.

kareru
03-11-2011, 03:41 PM
3 Count w/ Tank abbot

Misfits In Action

Lance Storm dominating everyone

Jerry Flynn in 'The Block'

Crazy David Flair, Crowbar and .....Daffney <3<3<3<3

Emperor Smeat
03-11-2011, 04:09 PM
He was good initially by pushing more of the younger wrestlers WCW had but it ended up being too late for WCW and they couldn't afford to have a couple of down years to build and develop those new stars. It also didn't help that for every good idea Russo managed to come up with was ruined by the countless bad ideas and plans by him.

The New Blood was a great idea and could have been the new era of WCW stars but the problem was making them heels even though all the bad stuff they said about the Millionaire's club was true.

MoFo
03-11-2011, 04:18 PM
Lance Storm putting a Canada sticker on teh US Title.

Crowbar, Meng, Norman Smiley, LA Parka & David Flair having fun matches over the Hardcore belt.

Scott Steiner mad rants.

I loved Russo WCW tbh, way better than '97 NWO Nitro for me.

MoFo
03-11-2011, 04:19 PM
Also Goldberg v Boogie Knights is one of my fave squash matches of all time.

Testicle
03-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Although it didn't go very well, I do like the idea of a multi-tier cage.

Seth82
03-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Although it didn't go very well, I do like the idea of a multi-tier cage.

actually he wasn't the first to do that

WCCW was with their Triple Dome of Terror

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lsfA656s6sM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rollermacka
03-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Kronik
and of course this...

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v9yDfJfy0Do?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v9yDfJfy0Do?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

Hulk Hogan's American Gladiators Vs TNA = Ratings

Kapoutman
03-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Scott Steiner
Lance Storm
Jung Dragons

ace3025
03-11-2011, 05:02 PM
Goldberg v Sid was awesome!! It's a shame they didn't take the intensity those two gained and pushed them further. But the nWo and the hardcore stuff was great!! I really liked the "powers that be" angle. It was the anonymous GM, but with a predetermined endpoint.
The new blood was also great. The vampiro vs sting was becoming one of my favorite feuds before it all went to crap

Lara Emily
03-11-2011, 05:18 PM
They fucked up New Blood by making the wrong team the bad guys. The New Blood should have been the faces.

Ultra Mantis
03-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Positively Kanyon

Nicky Fives
03-11-2011, 07:01 PM
Lance Storm, Booker T, Natural Born Thrillers

Swiss Ultimate
03-11-2011, 07:36 PM
I ultimately blame Bischoff for all the bad angles.

Apparently ICP and Vampiro stuff was all Bisch.

Fox
03-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Russo's shoot on Hogan at Bash at the Beach 2000 (even though the whole thing was a work) which led to Booker T's first WCW World Title victory.

Lance Storm being awesome and becoming a triple champion (Cruiserweight, Hardcore, US) and then renaming them after his native Canada.

Mike Awesome's initial run (looked like a bad ass for like a month), up until they turned him face and made him that Fat Chick Thriller.

Pushing DDP as THE main event face for the first few months (even if it was a big fuckjob to get Jarrett over as a main event heel).

Jung Dragons/3 Count matches.

But for all the good, Russo really did decimate WCW with his terrible ideas. The worst thing he did was put the Cruiserweight title on Ed Ferrara and fucking Madusa and then scrap it entirely. The CW division was one of the standout parts of WCW that made them special from the WWF, and he got rid of it in like 3 months.

Also, the Jeff Jarrett super push was enough to turn me off from WCW.

Dirk Ziggler
03-12-2011, 04:03 AM
I liked his first run when the camera's wouldn't show his face and he was just "the powers that be"

whiteyford
03-12-2011, 04:46 AM
I thought the Lance Storm push was Johnny Ace, Russo wanted him to be Bischoffs bastard son.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-12-2011, 07:04 AM

Yeah, ICP haven't been on camera since Russo came in. Replaced them with The Misfits.

Pushing DDP as THE main event face for the first few months (even if it was a big fuckjob to get Jarrett over as a main event heel).

Hmmm, not happened yet. All DDP has really done is get taken out by David Flair.

The feuds are awesome though. Gonna draw up the massive interlinked feud.

#BROKEN Hasney
03-12-2011, 07:11 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a366/hollywoodh/RussoWCW.png

Honestly, bar a couple of hiccups, October and November 1999 has been more entertaining than the rest of 1999 put together.

seapig4
03-12-2011, 08:05 AM
A face New Blood could of kept me interested for ages but Russo fucked it

#BROKEN Hasney
03-12-2011, 09:01 AM
Fuck me, I just marked like a bitch for Benoit beating Jarrett. I thought that Jarrett won this tournament.

It's how he should have been booked for the whole thing. The chosen one, looks like a threat and has lackies, but should have fallen at the last hurdle more often than not.

Anybody Thrilla
03-12-2011, 06:59 PM

The Dead Pool was awesome.

RiX1024
03-13-2011, 07:31 AM
Obviously that 'worked shoot' in Bash at the Beach 2000, Screamin Norman (hilarious), Lance Storm, Booker T's push, Misfits in Action and Natural Born Thrillers (all of them were green but all had potential).