PDA

View Full Version : How many Wrestlemanias has Jericho not been in? (The Rock thread, fuck Jericho)

BigDaddyCool
03-16-2011, 01:11 AM
Jericho seems like the biggest name active wrestler to consistently not be booked at mania. Am I thinking clearly or has he missed a handful of manias while under contract and not injured?

Xero
03-16-2011, 01:16 AM
He was on 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 24, 25 and 26. He's only missed two, when he wasn't with the company. This will be his third.

Ruien
03-16-2011, 01:16 AM
He is usually not under contract at the time, taking one of his breaks.

On a side note, why does Jericho not get all hate The Rock gets for not sticking with wrestling? Sure he came back for a couple of years, but he left again to due to other interest.

BigDaddyCool
03-16-2011, 01:18 AM
He was on 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 24, 25 and 26. He's only missed two, when he wasn't with the company. This will be his third.

I remember one where he wasn't on the card but showed up anyhow. I could be mistaken

Xero
03-16-2011, 01:18 AM

On a side note, why does Jericho not get all hate The Rock gets for not sticking with wrestling? Sure he came back for a couple of years, but he left again to due to other interest.

I think it's the fact that he comes back. And he hasn't really distanced himself from wrestling when he went away, like Rock did.

If he does actively distance himself and not show up for a few years, it could happen. But Rock was never really an IWC darling, Jericho is the poster child for the IWC darlings. So it may never happen.

Lara Emily
03-16-2011, 01:19 AM
Smart Alec Answer: he's not been at 17 soon to be 18 Wrestlemanias
Real Answer: Since debuting in the WWE, the only Manias he's missed are 22,23, and now 27, the reason being that he was/is not under contract with WWE when those Manias occured. In other words Jericho has wrestled at every Wrestlemania put on while he has a WWE contract

Jeritron
03-16-2011, 01:20 AM
I think people took exception with The Rock over time because of the length of his time away.

Jericho was only away for a little over 2 years when he left. Rock had been gone about 5 years when people started to "resent him."
Also, what Xero said.

Also, to answer BDC. Jericho has never not been booked on a Wrestlemania card while with the company.
He has never missed actual time due to injury either.

Jeritron
03-16-2011, 01:23 AM
I don't think he will be at this years Wrestlemania without it being booked/announced, but I also wouldn't bet money against him making a suprise return (The Orton match.)

More than likely not, but I can see it for some reason.

BigDaddyCool
03-16-2011, 01:24 AM
People hate the Rock because they are player hatred, pure and simple. Rock is one of the biggest names and can do as he please. But people are jealous. Plus his sharpshooter looks like crap.

Fox
03-16-2011, 01:25 AM

Jericho doesn't change his name to Chris Irvine and tell all the media outlets that he's "done with that part of his life." He also hasn't spent more than 2 years away from the WWE at any given time and when he comes back he comes back to wrestle and usually with an awesome new character. Last time he came back we got his amazing feud with Shawn Michaels.

Stone Cold has a legitimate excuse for not coming back and wrestling - a fucked up neck. Rock has no excuses for not getting back into the ring for a match or two every couple of years, and he knows how much it would mean to all his fans just to see him come back for a one-off at WrestleMania or Summerslam or whatever, but he just doesn't find the time or energy to do it.

Emperor Smeat
03-16-2011, 01:28 AM
Just 2 unless you count this year as a missed then it would be 3.

He debuted months after the 1999 Wrestlemania so that wouldn't count but he did miss the 2006 and 2007 Manias when he took his break from wrestling (late 2005 to late 2007).

Jeritron
03-16-2011, 01:31 AM
Jericho doesn't change his name to Chris Irvine and tell all the media outlets that he's "done with that part of his life." He also hasn't spent more than 2 years away from the WWE at any given time and when he comes back he comes back to wrestle and usually with an awesome new character. Last time he came back we got his amazing feud with Shawn Michaels.

Stone Cold has a legitimate excuse for not coming back and wrestling - a fucked up neck. Rock has no excuses for not getting back into the ring for a match or two every couple of years, and he knows how much it would mean to all his fans just to see him come back for a one-off at WrestleMania or Summerslam or whatever, but he just doesn't find the time or energy to do it.

I would like to see The Rock around as much as the next guy, but I don't think he needs an "excuse" for not getting into the ring, tbh.

Your point about Stone Cold says it all. Is he supposed to wrestle until he has a fucked up neck, or worse, before he is absolved of his alleged debts to the fans?

I definitely agree that The Rock distanced himself from wrestling, and is partially bullshitting when he pays this heroic lip service to the fans. Wrestling is low brow and he wanted to be more legit, so he "sold out."
But at the same time, I don't blame the guy. I get it. And all the power to him for moving on to a new career/goal and not being trapped by wrestling.
I actually prefer that a wrestler walk away in their prime, or near the end of it, anyways.

Really, both "sides" in The Rock debate are partially right. It's the absolutes that are ridiculous. As a fan, I am sick of hearing it and I don't think people are reasonable.
I am happy that he is back, but when he goes then good for him and see ya next time.

BigDaddyCool
03-16-2011, 01:34 AM
Rock tried his hand at making plenty of stars and passing on the rub. He never really had a problem with doing the job when need be. It isn't his fault that after he left everything got shitty again.

Lara Emily
03-16-2011, 01:41 AM

Rock does have a big excuae it's called if he wrestles and gets injured he gets fired from whatever movies he's filming/doesn't get a part in an upcoming movie.

That and fuck it he wrestled non stop for eight years almost, is that not good enough? Are you gonna keep asking for more more more until he's broken and/or dead

Fox
03-16-2011, 01:48 AM
Rock does have a big excuae it's called if he wrestles and gets injured he gets fired from whatever movies he's filming/doesn't get a part in an upcoming movie.

That and fuck it he wrestled non stop for eight years almost, is that not good enough? Are you gonna keep asking for more more more until he's broken and/or dead

Then he shouldn't work a program with the WWE WHILE he's shooting a movie at the same time. That'd idiotic and a definite way to burn himself out. Do it BETWEEN movies. That way there's no risk of showing up to set in a sling or a cast.

And your logic about his not getting parts in future movies b/c of wrestling is kind of stupid. Celebrities do shit like snowboard, ski, horse back riding, 4-wheeling - all things that could potentially injure you and stop you from getting that "next movie." IF he came back for a program and IF he got hurt and IF that truly affected him getting a role in a future movie, then there would be ANOTHER part down the line for him in a DIFFERENT movie.

I'm not saying he should stay in the ring until he's a beaten down, broken old man (see: Ric Flair), but coming back to do a Mania match against Taker or Orton or Cena isn't asking THAT much out of the guy. I'm not saying he should force himself to do it because that wouldn't be right either - I'm saying he doesn't have the passion anymore to WANT to come out and do it.

Isn't this a thread about Chris Jericho?

Fox
03-16-2011, 01:50 AM
Chris Jericho, who I might add, DOES have the passion to come back and give us things like the awesome program he had with HBK over the World Heavyweight Title.

Lara Emily
03-16-2011, 01:57 AM
Rock owes you shit and is awesome, so is Jericho

BigDaddyCool
03-16-2011, 02:25 AM
This is now the Rock thread.

Majunior
03-16-2011, 02:29 AM
Rock sucks. I don't like him now, I didn't like him then. He bores the piss out of me. Same 14 plug-and-play catchphrases every week, and because every now and then he did something different with his promos he's some sort of mic-work God.

Bullshit.

I was glad he's gone, and I'm pissed he's back cutting boring ass 10 minute promos where he rambles about nothing. Fuck Rocky.

As for his decisions to move on, no, I can't fault him. Yes, I think finding other jobs before you're broken is a good idea. The issue, as some people have said, is he spent all his time burying the industry to further his movie career and everyone NOT swinging on his nuts knows it. So this "I LOVE the WWE fans" thing is bullshit.

It has been pointed out, but Jericho is a perfect example that you can follow other dreams, do other things, and not be hated for it just cuz ya ain't wrasslin no more. And the idea that an injury would kill Rock's movie career is garbage. Just don't put him in the ring with Orton or Batista, and he's fine.

Lara Emily
03-16-2011, 03:22 AM
Distancing oneself from wrestling when trying to establish oneself as a real actor is a smart public move.

Face it wrestling is low end entertainment, it's frowned upon my a lot of legit actor and entertainers. Fuck for all we know (and I think given that he's come back now and did some via satellite/pre taped stuff before that this is likely case) that The Rock likes the wrestling business(probably still has some passion for it) but made a business (not a personal) decision to distance himself from it in order to facilitate a movement in his new career. He didn't bury the industry he just downplayed it so he'd not forever be known as The Rock the wrestler.

Do wrestling fans really need that much coddling, Jesus it's not like he's said wrestling sucks and wrestling fans can go fuck themselves, cause they fucking suck.

God this is hilarious, whaaa whaaa you were born into wrestling, you did everything that you could possibly do in the business, you gave us 8 years, but now you don't talk about wrestling every chance you get and you don't come back often enough, so clearly you have no love or passion for the business.

Morons.

Lui Kang
03-16-2011, 06:48 AM
Distancing oneself from wrestling when trying to establish oneself as a real actor is a smart public move.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with that. Hell, most people would agree that there's nothing wrong with that. However - just don't go out there and say that, "you love this" when your actions prove otherwise....and THAT is Cena's main point.

Ric Flair "loves this." Terry Funk loved this. Bret Hart loved this. The Rock....in true Hollywood fashion, is "acting" when he says that he "loves this." Bullshit. The truth of the matter, is that The Rock only turned to wrestling when it was clear that he wouldn't make it as a pro footballer.

Yes - The Rock gave us 8 fantastic years as a WWE wrestler, and he had absolutely no obligations to give us more than that. However - there is no such thing as "obligation" when you truly love something....and that's Cena's whole point. The Rock "wasn't obligated" to appear between 2005 and 2010, but why not make atleast 2-3 appearances throughout the year?.....in a non-wrestling role? Wouldn't THAT show love?

Morons.

This coming from a man who chose to have his dick chopped off by doctors. Go figure.

XL
03-16-2011, 08:42 AM
Why do people insist on using that insult on Lara? There are half a dozen other reasons why she herself could be considered a moron yet you debase any argument to that by "going there".

jskinnyg
03-16-2011, 09:17 AM
I think it's the fact that he comes back. And he hasn't really distanced himself from wrestling when he went away, like Rock did.

If he does actively distance himself and not show up for a few years, it could happen. But Rock was never really an IWC darling, Jericho is the poster child for the IWC darlings. So it may never happen.

True Dat...

Londoner
03-16-2011, 09:35 AM
Why do people insist on using that insult on Lara? There are half a dozen other reasons why she herself could be considered a moron yet you debase any argument to that by "going there".

Yeah, don't like when that's bought up but hey, its only pointless Lui Kang saying it so who cares.

Volare
03-16-2011, 01:11 PM
Let's see Rock take on Dancing with the Stars!! Jericho will become undisputed champion there too!

Troelar
03-16-2011, 02:26 PM
Speaking of Dancing with the Stars, do you think when Jericho returns after dancing the shit out of the other contestants, that he'll be implementing some awesome dance-style wrestling moves! Like the "Salsa-Slam" or "DDTango". I know it sounds stupid as hell, but let's face it Jericho could make it work!

Lara Emily
03-16-2011, 02:46 PM
no

Jeritron
03-16-2011, 05:20 PM
I wonder if footage from Dancing with the Stars will be able to be used by WWE in the future, with permission of course.

Surely it will make for some comedic onslaught on Jericho by whoever he's feuding with down the road

BollywoodSingh
03-16-2011, 05:36 PM

Jericho was gone for more than 2 years from August 2005 to November 2007.

Also, you say that everytime he returns, he comes back with an awesome new character. That 2 year break was his only break since entering WWE. He has left twice now, and come back once.