PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VII - Overrated?

Eklipse
03-18-2011, 12:13 AM
Don't take this thread the wrong way. I'm not saying that FFVII is a bad game or anything at all. I'm just giving my opinion that it gets way too much credit. There are much better games out there, even in the Final Fantasy series.

The story was okay, but I did not feel too involved in it, like I did not bond with the characters or anything. Best example I can give of this is FFX. Amazing storytelling and great character development throughout the game.

Gameplay was good. I just didn't care for the leveling system. Once again, I think FFX did this best.

As I said, I did enjoy playing FFVII, but I do think it's overrated.

I do believe, however, that if it weren't for FFVII and Gran Turismo, the PlayStation would not have been as popular or dominant as it was. Same with Halo being the main reason that the X-Box survived at all.

MoFo
03-18-2011, 12:17 AM
Ya

dronepool
03-18-2011, 12:52 AM
It's my favorite FF game but yeah, it was 'overrated' by the media. But matter what, Sephiroth is one of the coolest videogame bad guys.

Kane Knight
03-18-2011, 01:15 AM
Flat characters, dumb story, hyped as the second coming? Yeah.

And yet, I get more play out of it on my PSP than any current gen game, so....

Extreme Angle
03-18-2011, 04:06 AM
Flat characters, dumb story, Yeah.

Exactly. Think it was just the fact that I hadn't played any other game like it back then... And Sephiroth was amazing.

MVP
03-18-2011, 10:37 AM
It is a little bit, but FFVIII is way more overrated.

OssMan
03-18-2011, 12:15 PM
I disagree and then I stopped reading when you mentioned FFX as being better, let alone good.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-5FTJxfV3pc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, I really "bonded" with that shit head. One of the few things I liked about that game was the song playing in the background during that scene. Also, FFX did have an interesting and unique story, but it was told poorly. The whole angle with Tidus and Yuna falling in love was so corny and stupid. Whatever.

Ermaximus
03-18-2011, 12:40 PM
FFVII is seriously overrated. Was it a good game? Yes.

I still to this day hold FF IX AND FF VI in much higher light than I do VII. Then again, I'm also so fucking sick of emo ass Cloud Strife that it isn't even funny.

Extreme Angle
03-18-2011, 12:55 PM
I disagree and then I stopped reading when you mentioned FFX as being better, let alone good.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-5FTJxfV3pc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, I really "bonded" with that shit head. One of the few things I liked about that game was the song playing in the background during that scene. Also, FFX did have an interesting and unique story, but it was told poorly. The whole angle with Tidus and Yuna falling in love was so corny and stupid. Whatever.

That video made me piss...
Final Fantasy IX is my favourite of the series.

Hanso Amore
03-18-2011, 01:34 PM
I love 10. Great music. I liked the story. A Bit corny but all JRPGs are. An Blitzball is the best add in game in the series. Loved the fighting system with the ability to swap peeps in and out. Only game in the whole series which I actually used and enjoyed every character (Fuck Cait Sith and Yuffie, never used them).

I love 7 and 8 too. 8 Just got a little too much all over the place, but I think the fighting system was great and enjoyed the GF system.

7 did a good job of giving all of the characters their own time to shine. (Cid on the Rocket, Red 12 in Cosmo Canyon, Cait Sith i nthe temple, Barrett in the prison, etc)

IC Champion
03-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Flat characters, dumb story, hyped as the second coming? Yeah.

And yet, I get more play out of it on my PSP than any current gen game, so....

DIEEEEEEEEEE

thedamndest
03-18-2011, 01:54 PM
I usually go back and forth between 6, 7, and Tactics. I don't think 7 is overrated. I like the materia system and there are so many side quests.

Boomer
03-18-2011, 02:02 PM
VII is still my favorite FF, and basically confirmed to me that gaming was my favorite hobby. I had always liked games up to that point, but that one hit it out of the park for me. I guess I was in middle school at the time, so the quality of the characters and plot-line didn't really factor into the equation that much. Its just really nostalgic at this point, that's all. The same goes for FFIV, which was probably my first experience with an RPG. I will probably always rank those as my top two FFs.

alvarado52
03-18-2011, 02:03 PM
10 holds a special place in my heart. I agree with you though, 7th was highly overrated... I don't see how anyone really cried when Arith got shanked

El Fangel
03-18-2011, 03:04 PM
FF 6 - Elite
FF 7 - Great
FF 8 - Loved battle system, but Squall was a poor lead
FF 9 - Hated Zidane and end boss was dumb.
FF 10 - Hated this game and everything about it
FF X-2 - Once I learned the premise, I havent bought a Final Fantasy since.

Lock Jaw
03-18-2011, 03:16 PM
FF6 - Amazing
FF7 - Great, but not better than 6
FF8 - Liked the setting but did not like the battle system. Screw "drawing".
FF9 - Loved the style/feel of the game. Probably my second fav after 6. Just, yeah end boss was dumb.
FF10 - Hated pretty much everything about it. Cheered at the end with what happened to Tidus.

Haven't played one since 10.

Actually, I think I played a bit of 12 once, and thought it was "ok", but did not have the time/inclination to play more.

Emperor Smeat
03-18-2011, 03:18 PM
I wouldn't say its completely overrated but I don't like how every other FF is considered bad or not as good when the SNES one (3 in US, 6 in actual order) and FF VIII were just as good as FF VII for gameplay and story-wise.

I think a big factor is from Sony having exclusive rights to this game because they funded the game and has a special connection to the Playstation brand.

It is also similar to other games like Super Mario Bros 3, Ocarina of Time, and Mario 64 being very influential and game genre changers for their time but considered overrated when compared to games or recent gamers of today. Its more of a console generational issue with some people only starting this generation or the PS2/GC/Xbox generation and ended up missing how big of an effect those games had to gaming.

Lock Jaw
03-18-2011, 03:19 PM

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lF0JdTM6TzE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

El Fangel
03-18-2011, 03:21 PM
FF8 - Liked the setting but did not like the battle system. Screw "drawing".

I mean with Limit Breaks and GF's and such. Drawing was stupid.

Plus it was insanely easy to cheat in that game, just go fight Hexadragons which are leveled to reflect your stats. One fight gives 875/100 experience so every 3 fights you level up 4 times.

Lock Jaw
03-18-2011, 03:27 PM
I played FF8 on my PC, so I bypassed having to draw by just editing my save and giving myself 100 of whatever I came across. Started off by just manually doing it in-game, but took way too long.

El Fangel
03-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Lawl, nice.

Boomer
03-18-2011, 05:27 PM
My rankings (haven't played 10-2 or 13...my guess is they would be pretty low):

FF7
FF4
FF5
FF10
FF6
FF12
FF9
FF8
FF3
FF2
FF1

And I have no nostalgia for FF6, considering I just beat it for the first time a month ago. Otherwise it would probably be higher. And I just really really disliked FF8 after liking FF7 so much. Got really hyped and played the demo a ton of times, but I just never liked how monsters leveled up with you and how limit breaks were only obtainable when you were low on health. And yeah, junctioning was terrible.

Eklipse
03-18-2011, 05:31 PM
I didn't get into the story of VII nearly as much as I did X. FFX, to this day, is my favorite PS2 game.

Rock Bottom
03-18-2011, 06:54 PM
FF7 when it came out, nothing was even close.

Same thing in regards to Chrono Trigger. I think that's why it has so much rant about it.

Kane Knight
03-18-2011, 10:44 PM
It is a little bit, but FFVIII is way more overrated.

Really? I rarely see people "rate" VIII significantly. I know it's got a few fanboys and shit, but I'd never thought of it as overrated at all, because I've never seen a lot of love for it.

Not saying you're wrong, just saying I'm a little surprised.

DIEEEEEEEEEE

You're one of those faggots who think Edward and Bella are deep, aren't you?

El Fangel
03-18-2011, 11:45 PM
Perhaps people saw them as a generation ahead of their time. FF7 WAS the first multi-disc game if I remember correctly. It was longer and more involving then any before it.

Also, I feel fucking ashamed of myself and all of you for not rating Tactics at all because that game was fucking amazing.

Boomer
03-19-2011, 11:16 AM
Perhaps people saw them as a generation ahead of their time. FF7 WAS the first multi-disc game if I remember correctly. It was longer and more involving then any before it.

Also, I feel fucking ashamed of myself and all of you for not rating Tactics at all because that game was fucking amazing.

I mean I love the game, but its not really part of the lineage we are talking about here. I'd rather talk about it in regards to other Tactics-style games, not FFs just because it shares the name. Lets not get too carried away and start requiring rankings of Mystic Quest or something.

Though I guess you could argue that FFXII doesn't fit on my list, but whatever. That shit is still Final Fantasy - pretty terribly written characters and all.

dingdongyo
03-24-2011, 04:32 PM
i've played 1, 2, 6 (as 3 on snes), 7, 8, tactics, tactics advance, tactics a2

i like 7 better than 8 for the materia system, but i think 6 was my favorite. more characters and just more fun.

i also liked the original tactics best of that series. they appear to be going downhill. some of the changes they've made are just confusing.

anyway, 7 was way overhyped at release, but i think by now, everybody knows what it's about.

Snowden
03-24-2011, 08:03 PM
I've gotta disagree with everyone who said the game is overrated. In and of itself, no, its not the second coming of Christ or anything.

HOWEVER, its importance in popularizing RPGs to a mainstream gaming audience in the US absolutely cannot be understated. The reason we had games like Persona 2, Tales of Destiny, and hell, even other Square titles like Legend of Mana even ported over to the US was because of the road VII paved for the JRPG in the west, where only NOW we're seeing the genre fade from the mainstream gaming consciousness.

There's absolutely no way console RPGs would have had nearly the same impact on the gaming community without VII.

Snowden
03-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Essentially, it made what was a niche genre into a wide ranging success. People who never played RPGs picked up FFVII, and THATS why its regarded in the light it has been.

Kane Knight
03-24-2011, 09:22 PM
i've played 1, 2, 6 (as 3 on snes), 7, 8, tactics, tactics advance, tactics a2

i like 7 better than 8 for the materia system, but i think 6 was my favorite. more characters and just more fun.

i also liked the original tactics best of that series. they appear to be going downhill. some of the changes they've made are just confusing.

anyway, 7 was way overhyped at release, but i think by now, everybody knows what it's about.

About the GREATEST GAME I'VE EVER PLAYED IN MY LIFE!

http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files/costumes/1332/13121/Chester_A_Bum.PNG

Kane Knight
03-24-2011, 09:22 PM
Essentially, it made what was a niche genre into a wide ranging success. People who never played RPGs picked up FFVII, and THATS why its regarded in the light it has been.

Except that's not why it's regarded in the light it has been.

Otherwise, a great point.

El Fangel
03-24-2011, 10:19 PM

Oh great, you are lying again.

Snowden
03-25-2011, 02:18 AM

Really? Because I think implicitly it is. For a lot of people, FFVII was their "first love" of RPGs, so of course its going to be romanticized. Now, they may not be actively saying "Well it paved the way for a genre to make headway, so that's why I love it," but a lot of the people who hold the game in such high esteem are the people that the game had such a large effect on, and are the people who became the marketplace for RPGs.

So yeah, I know what you're saying in that most people hold it up as a bastion of gaming goodness in and of itself, but why they're doing so is because of its lasting impact on their gaming habits, whether they know it or not.

Snowden
03-25-2011, 02:21 AM
As far as influential games on the gaming community go, FFVII is in that sort of second tier pantheon...below the class that includes stuff like Mario and Doom, but right up there with say a Grand Theft Auto III.

Swiss Ultimate
03-25-2011, 02:40 AM
Pong was overrated.

Kane Knight
03-25-2011, 03:38 AM
Oh great, you are lying again.

Awwwww...Fan gerl has his feelings hurt. Boo hoo. :lol:

Kane Knight
03-25-2011, 04:01 AM
Really? Because I think implicitly it is.

Except most people hype it for its story (crap), characters (crap), graphics/visual presentation (which was mostly pretty strong with only a few issues for its time), etc. Whether it was "Baby's first RPG" is rarely seems to be an issue. It was a best-selling title for a generation that had finally broadened gaming in general, but to say that's the same thing is really playing fast and loose, since it was an expansion of the platform and not the genre itself.

Also, I'm totally sticking by my "Twilight for nerds" comparison.

Vastardikai
03-25-2011, 05:02 AM
Final Fantasy X was good because of Auron.

Also, when I got to the point where I had Yuna with Holy, I had no more need of Summoning. Or anyone else.

Ermaximus
03-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Final Fantasy X was good because of Auron.

Also, when I got to the point where I had Yuna with Holy, I had no more need of Summoning. Or anyone else.

The only summon I used, once I got him, was Aenima. (sp?) Dude was straight beast. The Magus Sisters were good too, but not as much. Yojimbo was just a greedy cocksucker and not worth summoning.

OssMan
03-30-2011, 02:07 PM
FF7 has the Secret of Mana effect sort of. It gets way more praise than it should because people have nostalgia for it, or it was the first RPG they played, or whatever. The difference is, FF7 is worthy of a lot of praise whereas Secret of Mana is a pile of shit but people played it when they were kids and remember the music and therefore love it. People are going to think a really good game that they hold dear is the best game ever.

Ermaximus
03-30-2011, 02:10 PM
FF7 has the Secret of Mana effect sort of. It gets way more praise than it should because people have nostalgia for it, or it was the first RPG they played, or whatever. The difference is, FF7 is worthy of a lot of praise whereas Secret of Mana is a pile of shit but people played it when they were kids and remember the music and therefore love it. People are going to think a really good game that they hold dear is the best game ever.

Chrono Trigger>FFVII>Secret of Mana>Most shit RPG's today

OssMan
03-30-2011, 06:56 PM
Incorrect. Secret of Mana is one of the worst games ever.

dingdongyo
03-30-2011, 10:58 PM
Incorrect. Secret of Mana is one of the worst games ever.

it was pretty fun if you had 2 nerd friends to play it with. good combo of role-playing and arcade elements. i could see it not being fun more than one time through though. that's true of almost every rpg of that era.

idiot me got a translated copy of secret of mana 2 from ebay. someone reprogrammed the chip of an american snes cartridge with the rom or whatever. it works fine, but its not as good as the first.

anyway, totally not what this thread is about.

El Fangel
03-31-2011, 01:57 AM
I am 99.9% certain KK deleted a post in here, because I remember reading it earlier.

MVP
04-01-2011, 10:43 AM
Chrono Trigger>FFVII>Secret of Mana>Most shit RPG's today

Well said sir.