PDA

View Full Version : What is up with Del Rio?

BigDaddyCool
03-18-2011, 04:02 PM
I saw him, he doesn't seem that great. Maybe he was off that night, or my expectations were too high. But I just don't get it. His match wasn't particularly good. His promo didn't stand out. He doesn't look that impressive. So what is the deal?

Lock Jaw
03-18-2011, 04:04 PM
He's Mexican.

BigDaddyCool
03-18-2011, 04:08 PM
I figure that much.

Lock Jaw
03-18-2011, 04:10 PM
I got nothing else.

The Naitch
03-18-2011, 04:11 PM
He'll be the first "natural born" Mexican to become WH Champion. Rey is Mexican American.

Del Rio came from MMA to wrestling, so he probably has a swagger about him backstage, that Vince likes and he's confident that he can represent the company well in the years to come.

Plus he's only gonna get better. There's just an aura about Del Rio.

Stickman
03-18-2011, 04:13 PM
What aura?

BigDaddyCool
03-18-2011, 04:13 PM
I heard he started wrestling before MMA

Afterlife
03-18-2011, 04:14 PM
He's not that great at any element of professional wrestling. Why don't you understand his hype?

Gertner
03-18-2011, 04:15 PM
I LOVE Del Rio. Pairing Clay with him only makes him better. Clay is a badass, but it allows Del Rio to lose in tag matches without getting pinned.

Plus I love his armbreaker.

Rock Bottom
03-18-2011, 04:19 PM
He reminds me of a guy from Mike Tyson's punch out or something. He seems to get pretty good heel heat and his personal announcer is pretty funny too.

Gertner
03-18-2011, 04:21 PM
It'll never happen, but Armando Estrada would fit in well as his manager. Have Ricardo Rodriguez as his announcer, Clay as his bodyguard and Estrada as his manager.

Lock Jaw
03-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Ricardo Rodriguez is so much more talented on the mic than Alberto Del Rio... and I can't even understand what he is saying.

Jeritron
03-18-2011, 04:33 PM
He's a great wrestler, and a heat magnet. He plays an obnoxious, but competent heel character that WWE is getting behind strongly.
So that's why he's over with the fans, particularly on here.

I'm not sure how much of a taste for him you can get from seeing him once. He's doing pretty well.
I haven't seen the match you saw, but let's not just judge his worth on what he looked like from one show in the loge.

Lock Jaw
03-18-2011, 04:46 PM
I've seen plenty of him, and he seems like a guy who has a lot of potential, but isn't living up to it just yet. Needs to work on his promos (Saying different things, using different levels and tones of voices).

screech
03-18-2011, 04:49 PM
He'll be the first "natural born" Mexican to become WH Champion. Rey is Mexican American.

Del Rio came from MMA to wrestling, so he probably has a swagger about him backstage, that Vince likes and he's confident that he can represent the company well in the years to come.

Plus he's only gonna get better. There's just an aura about Del Rio.

He wrestled before doing MMA, just to clarify.

screech
03-18-2011, 04:51 PM
I am a huge fan of Del Rio. Great in the ring and plays his character so well.

Sure he can improve on some aspects of his persona (as Lock Jaw said), but I think he's great regardless.

Jordan
03-18-2011, 04:52 PM
His promos are Raw, he wrestles an old school hard hitting style, you should just do your research and not expect for a match on Raw or Smackdown to showcase somebodies true potential.

Jeritron
03-18-2011, 04:53 PM
I think his push is similar to Angle's. I also think, so far, it's going just as well.

It remains to be seen if his skill-set is on that level. Remember, Angle's promo skills and even his in ring ability were not nearly as good in his first year as they quickly became over time.

Lock Jaw
03-18-2011, 04:55 PM
I remember Angle being gold from day one, and then getting even better.

Jeritron
03-18-2011, 05:15 PM
He was. But if you watch his promos from the first few months he is kinda uncomfortable and not nearly as good.
He spouts off great stuff, in his character. But he's not very smooth.

Obviously that is natural, and he quickly grew out of it.

As for his matches, he was solid but he improved astronomically in 2001. He didn't really have any classics in 2000.
The skills were there, but at some point in 2001 he went from being solid to one of the best seemingly overnight.

The Naitch
03-18-2011, 05:18 PM
SORRY, MY BAD PEOPLES. I thought I knew it all

BigDaddyCool
03-18-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm nitpicky, homie.

Anybody Thrilla
03-18-2011, 05:39 PM
Del Rio is entertaining as fuck. Sucks to be you.

Anybody Thrilla
03-18-2011, 05:40 PM
I also care for Swagger.

BigDaddyCool
03-18-2011, 05:44 PM
I do not.

Gertner
03-18-2011, 05:52 PM
Swagga is amazing.

Lock Jaw
03-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Gotta say, if Swagger was pushed like Del Rio is, I would have liked it a lot more.

Anybody Thrilla
03-18-2011, 06:01 PM
I think what I like most about Del Rio is that he isn't the typical chickenshit heel that almost every other heel seems to be. He talks a lot of shit, and he backs it up in the ring. Also, all of the pagentry and bravado crack me up every single time. Something about him obnoxiously honking the horn as he enters the arena is hilarious to me.

Anybody Thrilla
03-18-2011, 06:02 PM
Gotta say, if Swagger was pushed like Del Rio is, I would have liked it a lot more.

He sort of WAS in ECW.

Rock Bottom
03-18-2011, 06:05 PM
Swagger is the classic example of a problem with the company right now.

Let's give him the title. Then next WM let's go ahead and have him be Michael Cole's trainer/interfering dude in a match against Jerry Lawler.

I have questions

BigDaddyCool
03-18-2011, 06:11 PM

Let's give him the title. Then next WM let's go ahead and have him be Michael Cole's trainer/interfering dude in a match against Jerry Lawler.

I have questions

At least WWE is trying new things and not constantly rehashing shit. But they don't stick with things long enough to work it seems like.

Gertner
03-18-2011, 06:14 PM
At least he's not toiling away on Superstars anymore.

Rock Bottom
03-18-2011, 06:19 PM
Yeah they are trying more shit and I agree. It's like they're going to the buffet though.

MAN the wings are awesome, im gonna eat the hell out of some wings, shit yes

MAN IS THAT JELLO? oh baby. this is so good

shit yeah is that FRIED FUCKING CHICKEN

The Naitch
03-18-2011, 06:22 PM
Swagger couldn't run with the ball. Flash IN THE PAN. There's a shelf live there, unlike The Rock who whooped Austin's ass all over God's green earth IF YA SMELALALALALA WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKIN!

-live from the Chef Boyardee set

Anybody Thrilla
03-18-2011, 06:25 PM

I have questions

I don't see what the problem is here.

Anybody Thrilla
03-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Yeah they are trying more shit and I agree. It's like they're going to the buffet though.

MAN the wings are awesome, im gonna eat the hell out of some wings, shit yes

MAN IS THAT JELLO? oh baby. this is so good

shit yeah is that FRIED FUCKING CHICKEN

Bro, that is like the entire allure of a buffet.

Swagger couldn't run with the ball. Flash IN THE PAN. There's a shelf live there, unlike The Rock who whooped Austin's ass all over God's green earth IF YA SMELALALALALA WHAT THE ROCK IS COOKIN!

-live from the Chef Boyardee set

Am I the only one who really enjoyed Swagger's run as champion? I thought he was BRINGING IT, but they cut his legs out too soon.

Mr. Nerfect
03-18-2011, 06:53 PM
Jack Swagger was amazing as World Heavyweight Champion. He'll get the chance to do it again soon. He just had to go through the de-pushing phase that even guys like Sheamus have to go through.

Alberto Del Rio also reminds me of Kurt Angle. Not just because of the legit Greco-Roman, MMA background; but just how natural everything seems to come to him. From day one, he just seemed to "get it." Yeah, he'll get more polish over time; but for a guy who doesn't speak English as a first language, he's more comfortable on the mic than so many guys already.

I also love that he is a heel that won't take shit from anyone. Him smacking the urn out of Paul Bearer's hands was pretty bad-ass. He could make a great babyface one day, when his heel heat is not as intense as it is now.

Jeritron
03-18-2011, 06:55 PM
I don't think everyone goes through this magical de-pushing phase after winning the title.

And I would disagree that Jack Swagger was an amazing World Champion, but those are our opinions.

Anybody Thrilla
03-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Would you say that Swagger's run was magical, at least?

Jeritron
03-18-2011, 07:04 PM
It was everything I ever dreamed of

Rock Bottom
03-18-2011, 07:05 PM
To clarify I think Swagger really isn't the champion type. I was just alluding to WWE aborting 3487385% of their pushed stars with the buffet comment.

Anybody Thrilla
03-18-2011, 07:08 PM
I seriously feel like I need to go to a Chinese buffet right about now.

Rock Bottom
03-18-2011, 07:17 PM
If you did you could probably find parallels between wrestlers and what you were eating. THINK ABOUT IT

All that shit sitting in those pans or whatever that no one cares about is jabroni food. Then you get to those awesome crab legs and it's a star but you can only eat so much of that shit.

That's really nerdy to say but it's kind of true.

Rock Bottom
03-18-2011, 07:20 PM
fuck ia m gay

Lock Jaw
03-18-2011, 07:21 PM
Yeah, he'll get more polish over time;

He's gonna switch nationalities?!

Anybody Thrilla
03-18-2011, 07:21 PM
No, no....I like it. :y:

That also explains why I see a bunch of fat rednecks there, too.

Rock Bottom
03-18-2011, 07:34 PM
If I had to relate food items to some wrestlers I'd be in for some serious thought.

Anybody Thrilla
03-18-2011, 07:42 PM
Who is the current crab-leggiest WWE superstar?

Mr. Nerfect
03-18-2011, 07:42 PM

They need him to be booed by Mexicans, too.

Rock Bottom
03-18-2011, 08:40 PM
Morrison, Miz, Orton, Del Rio, Punk = good seafood

To be on topic about Del Rio though I look forward to his title win this year and even more forward to his being the special guest referee of the no-DQ Hebner family feud

XCaliber
03-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Del Rio is lightyears ahead of Swagger imho but he's still a tad overrated.

Jordan
03-18-2011, 11:34 PM
Okay I can't stand this heat on Del Rio, I think he is the next big thing in WWE. Why?

Alberto is a total throw back to the glory days of wrestling, his whole gimmick with the millions the fame, the cars, the ring announcer who helps him win, the Mexican exposure on WWE, and the fact that when he's in the moment and heated he thinks in Spanish and ends up spouting out some Spanglish that I kinda understand and I think thats awesome.

He's gonna be classic man, just look at him, nobody looks like him! He's totally unique right now and his wrestling style is sick, very realty based and stiff, that cage match with Christian on Smackdown! was fantastic, the head kick spot off the top rope was amazing, really good match.

Jordan
03-18-2011, 11:36 PM
Cole/King and Alberto Del Rio vs Edge are the matches I am looking forward to the most at Wrestlemania, Cole and King because I am expecting mega heat and possibly a top 10 Wrestlemania moment if all goes well. And I am pretty sure that Edge/Alberto Del Rio will steal the show, Edge has a habit of it and these guy have super amazing and stiff chemistry. I can't fucking wait for Wrestlemania this year, I feel like im 10.

Asmo
03-18-2011, 11:43 PM
On screen, Del Rio comes of as a guy who knows what he's doing - someone who is intensely focused, and knows that he's better than most of the talent out there. His gimmick adds the 'fun' element to this.

His abilities in the ring are excellent. As someone said, an old-school wrestler who can get a crowd going and put on a solid match. His promos are a bit repetitive, but i'm sure he'll only get better. Don't know if he used to cut tonnes of promos pre WWE days.

Plus, he's been built up pretty well. The entrance, the smirk, the eyebrow, Ricardo, everything only adds to his uniqueness. He stands out from the pack - and gets you to notice him.

Mr. Nerfect
03-19-2011, 05:08 AM
I, too, am looking forward to Edge vs. Del Rio. After Christian just beat the #1 Contender, I'm not entirely sure that they won't add Christian into the mix, though. I don't think it would hurt the story, since Christian has pretty much been in there since he returned.

I thought that they were just going to throw Christian into Money in the Bank, but then that apparently isn't happening. Then it was The Corre match, but Chrsitian has (so far) had zero interaction with them. Could totally see Christian being in the World Title match, causing last-minute tension between him and Edge, and then Evan Bourne or even a slightly turned face Drew McIntyre helping Show, Kane & Kofi Kingston fight The Corre.

03-19-2011, 06:10 AM
Okay I can't stand this heat on Del Rio, I think he is the next big thing in WWE. Why?

Alberto is a total throw back to the glory days of wrestling, his whole gimmick with the millions the fame, the cars, the ring announcer who helps him win, the Mexican exposure on WWE, and the fact that when he's in the moment and heated he thinks in Spanish and ends up spouting out some Spanglish that I kinda understand and I think thats awesome.

He's gonna be classic man, just look at him, nobody looks like him! He's totally unique right now and his wrestling style is sick, very realty based and stiff, that cage match with Christian on Smackdown! was fantastic, the head kick spot off the top rope was amazing, really good match.

:y: If Del Rio were around in the 80's/early 90's no one would be saying a word.

GD
03-19-2011, 06:35 AM
I have been in love with Del Rio's character since day one. He has the looks, the charisma (which reminds me of Eddie Guerrero at times) and the in ring skills to get the job done.

And as far as Swagger is concerned, he holds victories over Big Show, Randy Orton, John Morrison, Chris Jericho and Edge during his reign as Champion on Smackdown. The only reason his achievements are overlooked is because majority of his title reign was over shadowed by the John Cena - Batista feud. And to give him some well deserved credit, he is among the very few who have had reigns as both ECW Champion and the World Heavyweight Champion.

Skippord
03-19-2011, 06:41 AM
I like Del Rio well enough, I don't think he's the greatest thing ever though. Pretty low on my list of Smackdown heels actually.

03-19-2011, 09:12 AM
If Del Rio would react to the crowd a bit more I think he'd get a shitload more heat. Ala Kurt Angle.

Kane Knight
03-19-2011, 09:21 AM
He's in the doghouse, duh. :roll:

Swagger? The All-American-Pollock?

Londoner
03-19-2011, 09:22 AM
Well i enjoyed Del Rio's match on Smackdown, wasn't as bad as BDC was making it out to be atleast, but then i'm not that surprised. Del Rio just has the right charisma and imo the talent to go with it to put on great matches. Can't wait for his WM match.

XL
03-20-2011, 10:56 PM
Bro, that is like the entire allure of a buffet.

Am I the only one who really enjoyed Swagger's run as champion? I thought he was BRINGING IT, but they cut his legs out too soon.
You're not the only one.

Swagger didn't exactly benefit from the same kind of build that ADR has. He had zero mometum going into MitB and then they hot-shotted the title on to him 5 days later. His promos were gold as champ and his fued with Rey was pretty great, they just didn't put him over as a star.

Jordan
03-20-2011, 11:30 PM
I don't think Del Rio is perfect or anything, he is raw still, but he has so much talent already in top form and he is obviously becoming greater week to week.

Kane Knight
03-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Haters gonna hate.

Kane Knight
03-21-2011, 12:36 PM
Best to just whip yo hair.

bigslimjj
03-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Del Rio=$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Swagger=ZZZzzzzzzzz. Mcintyre should have been in Cole's corner at WM,not Lispy Mcboring.

Kane Knight
03-22-2011, 07:51 AM
Swagger is the man.

Mr. Nerfect
03-22-2011, 10:00 AM
Alberto Del Rio vs. Kurt Angle is a dream match of mine at the moment. Just saying.