PDA

View Full Version : Would you enjoy or watch a film if the villian ended up winning by the end of it?

Emperor Smeat
03-28-2011, 12:02 AM
The film itself would be good overall but instead of the traditional good guy/side winning or doing enough to save something, the villian ended up as the victor.

Also the film itself wouldn't explicitly set itself up for a sequel or be a prequel similar to the new Star Wars films letting evil win but eventually lose by the end of the overall series.

A sequel could be possible in the future but for the time being the villain is still the winner.

VSG
03-28-2011, 12:12 AM
There are so many movies where the bad guys are the ones you root for, so do they count?

Stretching that same logic, mobsters in The Godfather won, and not the police. Now that is what you wanted to happen. So instead of pure good guy/bad guy how about movies where the unpopular character prevails?

Emperor Smeat
03-28-2011, 12:27 AM
I didn't even think about films where the bad guy is the main character or the focus of the film since it does change things a bit. Like in the film Scarface, the main character is a bad guy who looses to another bad guy.

Its more of something like a Superman film where Superman is the good guy but Lex Luther ends up winning or an action film where the bad guy's plan succeeds and the good guy is either dead or stopped.

Raven Reaper
03-28-2011, 12:29 AM
Best example of that: Skyline... Brain sucker aliens won. :p

Same can be said of the entire Saw series.

Next Big Thing
03-28-2011, 12:34 AM
I immediately thought of "No Country for Old Men," but in that film even though the bad guy 'won' he was still the protagonist of the film.

Even with the Saw movies, the bad guy won, but in a sick way Jigsaw was the protagonist.

I don't know if I'd watch a movie where the bad guy won. I'd be kind of pissed or feel like the movie was incomplete. It's like if Lion King ended with Mustafa dead and Scar raping Simba's mom. It just wouldn't feel right unless I knew there was retribution coming in the sequel.

Lock Jaw
03-28-2011, 12:34 AM
In Dark Knight, the bad guy kinda won. At least a semi-victory.

Blitz
03-28-2011, 12:53 AM
The Usual Suspects.

DaveWadding
03-28-2011, 01:51 AM
The film itself would be good overall but instead of the traditional good guy/side winning or doing enough to save something, the villian ended up as the victor.

Also the film itself wouldn't explicitly set itself up for a sequel or be a prequel similar to the new Star Wars films letting evil win but eventually lose by the end of the overall series.

A sequel could be possible in the future but for the time being the villain is still the winner.

The movie Collateral would have been 10 times better if it ended this way.

El Fangel
03-28-2011, 01:59 AM
Little Big League, Not really what you are saying but its a sports movie where the team loses the big game.

dronepool
03-28-2011, 02:14 AM
I'd probably enjoy it more because it would make the film less cliche and villains are usually cooler/more interesting anyway.

MoFo
03-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Yah, always root for the bad guy.

Like NBT said, Javier Bardem in No Country For Old Men, need more films like that. Main good guy gets killed half way in, class 'twist'.

Corporate CockSnogger
03-28-2011, 08:54 AM
Still think Shooter McGavin should have gotten the better of Happy Gilmore.

Gertner
03-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Gunner Stahl shouldn't have went glove side on the Cat. Blocker side and Iceland wins.

LuigiD
03-28-2011, 10:19 AM
I would enjoy it. I would enjoy it even more if the viewer is tricked into thinking the bad guy is the good guy and at the end we find out that it is the other way around.

M-A-G
03-28-2011, 12:41 PM
It's hard for me to enjoy those types of films where the 'good guys' are screwed over in the end (Saw, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Swordfish) because it kind of puts a damper on the progression of the story for me. It's depressing almost because of the investment put into the plight of the protagonists. But then again they're just movies.

DaBrasko
03-28-2011, 12:43 PM
It really depends on the story. In one particular case where nothing is resolved and the villain "gets away" in like Jeepers Creepers then I feel like I wasted my time and left the theater feeling empty.

DaBrasko
03-28-2011, 12:46 PM
It's hard for me to enjoy those types of films where the 'good guys' are screwed over in the end (Saw, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Swordfish) because it kind of puts a damper on the progression of the story for me. It's depressing almost because of the investment put into the plight of the protagonists. But then again they're just movies.

Plus I watch movies to escape reality and its kind of a bummer when "evil wins". Enough lame shit happens in real life, I don't always want it to infiltrate my mindless movie watching fun.

Indifferent Clox
03-28-2011, 05:00 PM
by villian you mean antagonist, and if so that happens all the time. I mean not a majority of the time, but quite more frequently then you might think. Although if you want to get deep into it sometimes the antagonist can be the protaganist but you're made to believe it's the antagonist.

Razzamajazz
03-28-2011, 05:14 PM
the "good guy" is always the main character(s), so if the "bad guy" was on top at the end it would just be an anticlimactic ripoff of a finish

Indifferent Clox
03-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Sometimes the protaganist is a place. And are you serious razzamataz? Because there are so many exceptions to that.

Hanso Amore
03-29-2011, 10:48 AM
What the fuck are you on about Clox? What place is the PROTAGONIST?

Indifferent Clox
03-30-2011, 04:03 PM
New Orleans in treme.

Eklipse
03-30-2011, 06:22 PM
"Night of the Living Dead" comes to mind. The zombies didn't win or anything, but none of the "good" people survived.

DrA
03-30-2011, 06:42 PM
No, I only like movies that properly depict reality.

seapig4
03-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Technically the villian won in Se7en

Stickman
03-31-2011, 01:35 AM
Depends if it's a shitty movie or a good movie.

XL
04-11-2011, 04:49 AM
Technically the villian won in Se7en
Came here to say that.

Lara Emily
04-11-2011, 06:04 AM
The movie Collateral would have been 10 times better if it ended this way.

OMG yes, that movie was fucking amazing right up until the end. Terrible ending

Lara Emily
04-11-2011, 06:11 AM
Also Arlington Road is fucking amazing because the bad guy wins and I mean really wins there's no hope at the end of that movie it's sick. The protagonist gets killed accidentally taking 200 people with him, he dies with everyone thinking he's a terrorist and to boot the real terrorists adopt the protag's son, it's a movie where the terrorists fucking win

Jeritron
04-11-2011, 08:38 AM
This essentially happens in many horror movies

Reavant
04-11-2011, 08:41 AM
If it werent for fucking mark walberg, matt damon would have won in the departed

Reavant
04-11-2011, 08:41 AM
you could say requiem for a dream is a movie where noone won

Gertner
04-11-2011, 09:34 AM
Also Arlington Road is fucking amazing because the bad guy wins and I mean really wins there's no hope at the end of that movie it's sick. The protagonist gets killed accidentally taking 200 people with him, he dies with everyone thinking he's a terrorist and to boot the real terrorists adopt the protag's son, it's a movie where the terrorists fucking win

What's wrong with terrorists winning?

Reavant
04-11-2011, 01:48 PM

What's wrong with terrorists winning?

technically depending on your point of view, any accurate story of the US revolutionary war the terrorists win

Fignuts
04-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Hate it when this happens.

Well at least I hate it in horror movies. I love revenge flicks, so seeing a bad guy do lots of awful things to innocent people and getting away with it, kind of puts me off.

I don't mind in movies like No Country For Old Men, because those types of movies are about so much more than good vs bad.

But when it is purely some bastard being cruel dickhead and coming away unscathed, I don't care for it.