PDA

View Full Version : WWE & Anti Bullying

voncouch
03-30-2011, 02:19 PM
Am I the only one who finds the WWE going anti-bullying with GLADD really stupid? Look, I caught alot of shit in school so I know how hard it is. And I'm glad that there are organizations out there that are promoting it. And I can even understand why the WWE would get in on it. They are a publicly traded, multi-national company and their teenage demographic is exactly the audience that the message is directed to.

But really? All their programing consists of are gigantic, muscular men beating on each other. They have gangs jump individuals, they have guys like Kane jump someone like Mysterio from behind and beat him into a pulp and they're constantly ripping on each other in their promos. They've already banished blood and chair shots, 2 of the staples of pro wrestling for decades. Now no bullying? How bad are they going to pussify themselves? How long until Wrestlemania is headlined by a moderated debate, ending in a tickle fight?

Lock Jaw
03-30-2011, 02:23 PM
No bullying. Unless the person you are picking on is a bad guy. In which case, feel free to kidnap and torture his father.

Nightwing
03-30-2011, 02:24 PM
Id drop $60 to witness a 2 out of 3 fall tickle fight.

GD
03-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Remember when Morrison stood up against bully Sheamus :-\

GoneFishing
03-30-2011, 02:50 PM
Remember when Morrison stood up against bully Sheamus :-\

And I thought I was the only one that remembered that.

NormanSmiley
03-30-2011, 02:52 PM
so that return of Big Bully Busick is never gonna happen now?

Theo Dious
03-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Am I the only one who finds the WWE going anti-bullying with GLADD really stupid?

Nope.

voncouch
03-30-2011, 02:53 PM
so that return of Big Bully Busick is never gonna happen now?

I guess not. And I was holding out for Blacktop Bully myself.

Rammsteinmad
03-30-2011, 04:26 PM
So I'm guessing we won't see the Dudley's back in WWE anytime soon then.

Juan
03-30-2011, 08:42 PM
I don't get what the big deal is here.

"A program aimed mostly at kids is against bullying? OH NO!"

Kane Knight
03-30-2011, 09:21 PM
I don't get what the big deal is here.

"A program aimed mostly at kids is against bullying? OH NO!"

Well, it was okay until they were against bullying faggots. Then everyone got pissy for some reason.

FourFifty
03-30-2011, 09:25 PM
I understand the point they're trying to make. Anti-bullying is "kind of a big deal" in some circles, however it's professional wrestling. There's always bullying. It's like if an adult entertainment company promoted strict monogamy while producing gang bang films.

Majunior
03-30-2011, 11:30 PM
FourFifty is dead on.

Aguakate
03-30-2011, 11:40 PM
NO BULLYING.

...and if your bully insists on tormenting you, powerbomb his ass:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KakZkh9Iu7U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

djoutcry
03-31-2011, 12:06 AM
NO BULLYING.

...and if your bully insists on tormenting you, powerbomb his ass:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KakZkh9Iu7U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

t'was a Dominator kind sir. Not a powerbomb/body slam.

Aguakate
03-31-2011, 12:30 AM
t'was a Dominator kind sir. Not a powerbomb/body slam.

...you're right...

...and Faarooq would be proud.

KIRA
03-31-2011, 01:07 AM
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t313/napier07_2007/RonSimmons.jpg

Seth82
03-31-2011, 01:26 AM
I understand the point they're trying to make. Anti-bullying is "kind of a big deal" in some circles, however it's professional wrestling. There's always bullying. It's like if an adult entertainment company promoted strict monogamy while producing gang bang films.

what a lame excuse that is

just cause it's wrassling doesn't mean it's ok

WWE and GLAAD are working out a deal to eliminate the type of promos that Cena has been doing which are full of homophobic comments

GoneFishing
03-31-2011, 01:34 AM
Also, I don't see why GLAAD is upset. (sarcasm) If anything, the WWE promotes anti bullying with counter bullying.

Getting bullied? Form a stable and beat the shit out of the guy. (sarcasm, once again)

FourFifty
03-31-2011, 05:47 AM
what a lame excuse that is

just cause it's wrassling doesn't mean it's ok

WWE and GLAAD are working out a deal to eliminate the type of promos that Cena has been doing which are full of homophobic comments

I bet you were cool with the negative stereotypes that WWE put out when they had Cryme Time, or when WWE made fun of the mentally disabled with Eugene came out. I'm sure you were alright with the degradation of the Godfather's Ho's and you cheered when Hassan got teamed up on by everyone in the royal rumble at once.
But god forbid they go for you. If you want something politically correct watching Public Access, not cable.

Dirk Ziggler
03-31-2011, 09:29 AM
WWE should take a real stand and promote bullying. It teaches their teen audience to be a leader and not follow a crowd because a group of homo's tell you to.

dingdongyo
03-31-2011, 11:23 AM

well, not really. wrestling is entertainment, and wrestlers inherently volunteer themselves to get in confrontations. bullying is beating on people/kids in real life who are trying to mind their own business. i see a very large difference there.

I bet you were cool with the negative stereotypes that WWE put out when they had Cryme Time, or when WWE made fun of the mentally disabled with Eugene came out. I'm sure you were alright with the degradation of the Godfather's Ho's and you cheered when Hassan got teamed up on by everyone in the royal rumble at once.

i did not cheer for any of these events, nor am i cheering for the anti-bullying campaign. i just don't see what the problem is with it.

FourFifty
03-31-2011, 11:39 AM
well, not really. wrestling is entertainment, and wrestlers inherently volunteer themselves to get in confrontations. bullying is beating on people/kids in real life who are trying to mind their own business. i see a very large difference there.

Look at when The Four Horsemen ambushed Dusty Rhodes in a parking lot, as Dusty was minding his own business. Was that not bullying? While it was part of the storyline it had the elements of bullying. Want something more recent? How about when the original Nexus destroyed everyone by gang up on them? Until WWE promotes events as "Paul Wight as The Big Show" and "Glen Jacobs as Kane". Wrestling shows acts of bullying, much like an action movie will show people getting shot. It's part of the nature of the drama. While it's all part of the show, it's still the imagery that we see as Randy Orton punts a bad guy in the skull as the audience cheers, post match.

Jordan
03-31-2011, 12:15 PM
I think we've seen the biggest change in WWE history with this, no longer does "bad press" mean "good press" for WWE.

Jordan
03-31-2011, 12:16 PM
And that dominator was amazing, loved seeing that little bitch limp around like a fucking baby duck.

dingdongyo
03-31-2011, 10:46 PM
Look at when The Four Horsemen ambushed Dusty Rhodes in a parking lot, as Dusty was minding his own business. Was that not bullying? While it was part of the storyline it had the elements of bullying. Want something more recent? How about when the original Nexus destroyed everyone by gang up on them? Until WWE promotes events as "Paul Wight as The Big Show" and "Glen Jacobs as Kane". Wrestling shows acts of bullying, much like an action movie will show people getting shot. It's part of the nature of the drama. While it's all part of the show, it's still the imagery that we see as Randy Orton punts a bad guy in the skull as the audience cheers, post match.

right... i guess i'm still slipping on the idea that portraying bullying in a story line, by a good guy or bad guy, negates the validity of an anti-bullying campaign. wwe also used to show a bunch of "don't try this at home" vignettes. do you think those were stupid too?

i also can't think of a storyline where a bunch of people kicked the piss out of one other person for no reason and got a positive crowd reaction. it may have happened, dunno, but i prob wouldn't feel good about it.

Dirk Ziggler
03-31-2011, 11:04 PM
I blame all of this on Benoit

KIRA
04-01-2011, 12:48 AM
I blame all of this on Benoit

Youre right if he'd have just offed himself first this wouldn't be an issue:shifty:

Kane Knight
04-01-2011, 11:57 AM

So you can tell the difference between real and pretend, you just choose to suspend that selectively to try and force a point bridging them?

FourFifty
04-01-2011, 03:37 PM
I see Kane Knight has it down.

With most forms of entertainment it's all about being able to suspend your disbelief. You know the monsters aren't real, the explosions are a combination of cgi, green screen, and complex unrelated pyrotechnics, and most of all it's just Robert Downey Jr. However we're afraid of the monsters, the explosions are completely legit, and that's really Tony Stark.
We're not seeing violence, we're seeing depictions of it that many people buy into. We know it's fake, but we still try to buy into it, just like any action movie.

FourFifty
04-01-2011, 03:39 PM
i also can't think of a storyline where a bunch of people kicked the piss out of one other person for no reason and got a positive crowd reaction. it may have happened, dunno, but i prob wouldn't feel good about it.

How about a bunch of guys robbing one guy of his chance at a title shot?
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/LT32JLIQq_M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>