PDA

View Full Version : Which wrestlers have the best/worst chance of succeeding in their enviornment?

Xero
05-15-2011, 07:37 PM
This thread isn't about "LOL PUSH THAT GUY HE'S GOT GREAT WORKRATE!!!". Because, while I do enjoy a good workrate, if you're in the wrong promotion, you aren't going to move up.

So, let's take a look at the WWE (http://www.wwe.com/superstars) and TNA (http://www.tnawrestling.com/roster/Wrestler-Roster) rosters.

List and discuss the guys (and girls) you believe have the best chance of succeeding in their respective environment. Please take everything from their work, their look, the promotion's booking style, politics* and anything else into consideration.

Also discuss those you believe have the worst chance at succeeding in their environment.

*Obviously you need to make for some leeway with politics since that's the real wild card in any promotion and could screw anybody.

Triple Naitch
05-15-2011, 07:56 PM
McIntyre is going to be lost on Raw. :(

Lock Jaw
05-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Daniel Bryan has pretty much no chance of being a success.

Cody Rhodes can be a wild mild-success, though.

CSL
05-15-2011, 09:00 PM
Dunno, I think Cody can go all the way if he makes that 'connection' to the audience at some point. He's got the look as well as the looks, he 'can go' in the ring, he has the heritage, his acting and promo skills are better than most, he's young etc. He's a red hot program with somebody like Orton/a 'legit threat' away from making 'the leap' I'd say. Wish he'd put some bastard knee pads on though.

CSL
05-15-2011, 09:03 PM
The longer Daniel Bryan Danielson stays in his current spot, the less chance I think he has of sticking around. I think a change could do him good, turn him heel is one of the classic internet answers to everything but maybe give him a chance with the heel ROH machine character, maybe grow his beard back and generally add a bit of life to himself because there isn't really anything there at the moment for your typical WWE attendee to give a fuck about.

CSL
05-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Alex Riley = success but that's literally a whole other thread

MoFo
05-15-2011, 09:13 PM
They seem pretty intent on pushing Mason Ryan despite how hideous he is in the ring, so I guess he'll be the new Bobby Lashley.

In TNA I think Beer Money will always be near the top of the card whether as a team or in singles..

Gertner
05-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Anybody with an ounce of charisma = fail in ROH

The Gold Standard
05-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Mason Ryan is Batista. I mean he even looks like a young Batista. He will only get better and I think based off of his look and as long as he improves in ring he can be a huge success. Being teamed with Punk is a great starting point for Ryan. He can make a name for himself when he eventually turns on Punk.

CSL
05-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Never gonna be able to take Mason Ryan seriously as a threat with his soft welshboy accent :-\ Now Michael Hayes as his manager and mouthpiece and we might be onto a winner

Hanso Amore
05-16-2011, 12:22 AM
I agree. Riley has the WWE "Push the shit out of this young guy" list checked off. I dont love or hate him, I just think he fits exactly what the WWE likes and wants, and think he will benefit.

Though we should define success. I think on his own Riley will get a IC/US title push, and be around for 6-7 years at least. Not sure if he will crack the main event, but I think he will have a very nice run. That is success in my book.

I think Sin Cara is set up to succeed. High Flying, Fun Merchandise (Mask) and a cool entrance will do him tons of favors on Smackdown. Not thrilled with a Chavo feud, would like to see a higher profile foil.

VSG
05-16-2011, 12:31 AM
Chyna. Fail. Everywhere.

Asmo
05-16-2011, 06:24 AM
The longer Daniel Bryan Danielson stays in his current spot, the less chance I think he has of sticking around. I think a change could do him good, turn him heel is one of the classic internet answers to everything but maybe give him a chance with the heel ROH machine character, maybe grow his beard back and generally add a bit of life to himself because there isn't really anything there at the moment for your typical WWE attendee to give a fuck about.

This. At the moment, its pretty clear that the WWE knows where Bryan is at his money making best: in the ring, getting fantastic, enjoyable matches with practically anybody. The challenge now lies to develop a character so that he gets some kind of a reaction out of the ring.

I always thought that Bryan's role in the company would be akin to Chris Benoit's. Excellent matches throughout, the ring general to smooth out kinks, kind of a mentor and a trainer to the young boys, and at specific times, pushed as a legit threat in the main event scene, to be finally given a small thank you run with the belt.

At the same time, i don't think Bryan would gain much by jumping ship to any other wrestling promotion.

Schlomey
05-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Ryder has the tools just needs the backstage rub. He can work. He can talk. He is massing an army of super fans....everything but tv time.

Nicky Fives
05-16-2011, 10:35 AM
Santino Marella..... comedy alone never gets over enough to carry a championship.....

CSL
05-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Dunno, I think despite the chances of it being minimal, if Vince ever loses his marbles for a month or two, I think Santino could get over huge as a comedy/underdog/unwilling Mikey Whipwreck babyface for a bit. Don't have him win the belt or anything but they could get some monster reactions for the nearfalls once Santino 'embraces his fear!' and starts believing he can win during his title shot yadda yadda, be fun for a month or two away from the big PPV's

Hanso Amore
05-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Put Santino with Orton, or some other major player and let him do his comedy gold and you have a main eventer. Ala Goldust and Booker T. Booker was THE top face, and Goldy was right there with him.

#1-wwf-fan
05-16-2011, 03:32 PM
Anyone not already in the main event/upper-midcard scene on Raw doesn't have much of a shot since that's all Raw writers seem willing and able to focus on. McIntyre was the first one who came to mind. I thought Evan Bourne was on his way to SD... he's doomed for another year of jobbing now. And especially Ryder on Raw. The best they can do is realize the attention he's getting and use him as a lower level Santino. A few comedy skits here and there. He could have benefited from a move to SD more than almost anyone.

I wouldn't look past anyone succeeding on SD. Their focus on each individual guy up and down the roster is typically pretty stellar. Tyson Kidd would have been one guy that maybe I could see them just kinda forgetting about... and now they've already addressed his situation by putting Michael Hayes as his manager apparently. Obviously not everyone's gonna be hitting the main event but there's no one I can't see hitting their full potential.

Ultra Mantis
05-16-2011, 03:37 PM

I totally agree, his look is terrible right now. He was a lot more interesting with the heel beard and shaggy hair. He could use some "cooler" gear too, even his fancy new ring jacket looks generic. Regal needs to hook him up with his tailor.

Actually, just changing that awful entrance theme would be a start. No audience is ever going to pop for that in WWE.

Narcissus
05-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Mason Ryan is Batista. I mean he even looks like a young Batista. He will only get better and I think based off of his look and as long as he improves in ring he can be a huge success. Being teamed with Punk is a great starting point for Ryan. He can make a name for himself when he eventually turns on Punk.

I don't think that Mason Ryan is even comparable to Bats at this point in his career. Mason Ryan obviously looks like him physically but he's near uselees in the ring. Batista is at least mobile. Mason Ryan looks like a malfunctioning robot. If he doesn't get over that really clunky in-ring style, it's curtains for the guy IMO.

#1-wwf-fan
05-16-2011, 03:39 PM
Put Santino with Orton, or some other major player and let him do his comedy gold and you have a main eventer. Ala Goldust and Booker T. Booker was THE top face, and Goldy was right there with him.

Santino should have gotten paired with William Regal. I said before, that was his path to the main event. Regal's got the "fun loving but bad ass, legit fighting side" personality. We know Santino can play the legit badass. So you have Kozlov turn on him, Regal take him under his wing and help bring out the badass side, Santino can start doing some deadly looking shit and then jump up and pretend to play a trumpet like an idiot. It would be perfect.

Wishbone
05-16-2011, 07:20 PM
I think Layla as a face has a chance to make it as a top diva in WWE she's hot has a fair bit of charisma and isn't terrible in the ring. I disagree on Alex Riley as while he has 'the look' and all he strikes me as another flash it the pan ala Jack Swagger someone who dispite seeming to have the tools will just fall short. While I hate to admit it Daniel Bryan probably won't make it in WWE unless he gets a MAJOR makeover soon. Sin Cara has the flash and can get things done and in my honest opinion he's got a good chance to make it as a star in WWE. Del Rio is almost a sure thing in WWE he has charisma he has ring skill and he has 'the look' the guy IS a WWE superstar plain and simple. As for TNA if they can suck Russo's dick well enough they'll make it enough said.

Noid
05-17-2011, 06:18 AM
I was thinking Layla could be an iconic Diva for the WWE, but she has a long way to go as a babyface, truthfully. When it is a blessing to hear Michael Cole talk, you need some work.

Sin Cara is being set up to be a big deal, and he's currently getting a push that guys dream of. If he sticks to his guns, he'll be fine.

I'm also thinking that Ezekiel Jackson is on his way to a top babyface position on SmackDown!. Now, he's not the best worker, nor is he the best anything -- but I just think the WWE sees dollar signs in him. If he stays healthy, by WrestleMania time, I think we'll have seen the emergence of Zeke Jackson -- main eventer.

Jack Swagger will be a big star. He can wrestle, he can talk, he's got heat, he's young and he's got size. I don't see any reason why he won't eventually be pushed. The same goes for Drew McIntyre. A lot of people think he will get lost in the shuffle on RAW, but I think they're just biding their time with the guy. He's so young that he's literally got years to become more of a commodity to the WWE, and the guy is improving all the time.

I'd also like to throw Chris Masters' name out there. He's literally got everything he needs to be a top star, besides another push.

HBPunk
05-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Santino should have gotten paired with William Regal. I said before, that was his path to the main event. Regal's got the "fun loving but bad ass, legit fighting side" personality. We know Santino can play the legit badass. So you have Kozlov turn on him, Regal take him under his wing and help bring out the badass side, Santino can start doing some deadly looking shit and then jump up and pretend to play a trumpet like an idiot. It would be perfect.

I actually agree with this twunt for once, santino is main event in waiting

#1-wwf-fan
05-17-2011, 07:59 PM
We can all stop checking this topic on an hourly basis now. HBPunk has given his valued opinion.

HBPunk
05-17-2011, 08:50 PM
We can all stop checking this topic on an hourly basis now. HBPunk has given his valued opinion.

Considering you are the number 1 fan, just how many fans do the World Wildlife Fund actually have??

#1-wwf-fan
05-17-2011, 10:02 PM
lol

LK
05-17-2011, 10:30 PM
Jack Swagger will be a big star. He can wrestle, he can talk, he's got heat, he's young and he's got size.
Are we watching the same guy?

Schlomey
05-18-2011, 02:21 PM
i agree with noid

Ultra Mantis
05-18-2011, 02:48 PM
The Swaggie is fantastic, as long as they dont stick him in a suit again and make him all serious business. No idea why they like doing that to so many guys.

Tommy Gunn
05-18-2011, 04:39 PM
Riley is awesome, it's time to let him follow his own path on SD, but the WWE seem hesitant to take him away from The Miz.

Noid
05-21-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm actually wondering if they will try Alex Riley as a babyface when he and The Miz break-up. That'll be interesting.

Conspiracy Victim Vito
05-21-2011, 09:34 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Yeah, pretty much echo the sentiments about Raw. Every year feels like the same story. Guys get moved to Raw and then completely lost in the shuffle. Very rare to see guys enter Raw in the midcard and mold themselves into a legit main eventer, The Miz being the one exception.

Dolph Ziggler stands out in my mind in that respect. When he got fired on SmackDown there was plenty of opportunity to run an angle where he has to jump through hoops to get his job back. He succeeds and he'd likely be the number 1 heel on SmackDown now, putting on great matches each week to boot.

Instead they took the easy way out and moved him to Raw where he's done basically nothing. Can't see him doing much more than chasing the US Title throughout the next year.</font>

Noid
05-22-2011, 02:23 AM
I could see Ziggler getting the Money in the Bank briefcase or winning a King of the Ring this year, or something like that. Next year will be Ziggler's time, I hope.

Emperor Smeat
05-22-2011, 02:40 AM
Not sure if he has been mentioned yet but Del Rio in the long run has a great chance of becoming a big star. There were already a few reports of him knowing how the backstage works and the art of politicking in the WWE much faster than expected.

His character might be the Mexican version of Bradshaw's JBL character but Del Rio's feels more expanded than JBL's overall.

Even though RAW is jammed with heels in the main-event spot, he probably would be #2 after the Miz and benefits more if Punk actually leaves and R-Truth's push keeps being a slow burner. He already was the #1 heel on Smackdown and favored to have won the belt before Christian got his couple of days reign.

Aguakate
05-22-2011, 03:04 AM
Face or heel, Randy Orton is going to be THE MAN on Smackdown...I think everybody here and everywhere knows that...he's going to be the face of the show, it (Smackdown) is going to be built around him.

On the flipside, John Morrison will never get to the top while on RAW...too much starpower...