PDA

View Full Version : USC stripped of 2004 title

SuperSlim
06-06-2011, 04:48 PM
Just saw it on ESPN... BCS stripped them because Reggie Bush was declared ineligible.

So is this going to be a slippery slope for other titles being stripped? Anybody else should have their titles stripped? Was the stripping even right?

I'm still undecided.

RoXer
06-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Thanks for yr. lack of a take

weather vane
06-06-2011, 05:31 PM
what a joke

Next Big Thing
06-06-2011, 05:35 PM
Bullshit. One fucking player and his idiot family negates everything the rest of the team put in. It's not fair. Especially when you consider the fact that none of those allegations enhanced his play on the field. It's not like the guy was juicing or taking PEDs and if no one on the coaching staff was aware of what him and his family was doing I don't see how the entire team should be stripped.

Hanso Amore
06-06-2011, 05:44 PM
I think this is a bit much. I was ok with stripping the personal awards, but this is jsut stupid and doesnt really "do" anything

James Steele
06-07-2011, 02:41 AM
Does this make *my* Oklahoma Sooners the de facto National Champions for that year? I think so...

Cooler Tom Schuler
06-07-2011, 06:55 AM
Does this make *my* Oklahoma Sooners the de facto National Champions for that year? I think so...

Auburn

Evil Vito
06-07-2011, 08:55 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Pretty sure somebody from USC fessed up and said they knew what they were doing all along - knowing they were playing somebody who should have been ineligible.

It's harsh, they are pretty much saying without Reggie Bush they wouldn't have won the title. That's probably true to be fair.</font>

SuperSlim
06-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Oklahoma got scorched and humiliated by USC. 55-19... they wouldn't deserve it. The undefeated Auburn Tigers that got slighted out of the championship should be the de-facto champions... IF they were to try to award the title to a team for that year but I doubt they'll award it to anybody and just leave that year blank.

But it is very harsh to punish the whole school for the wrongdoings of one player. That one player already had his Heisman dropped for that year and everything. I mean punish the player for what he did and that's what they initially did. Now they're saying it isn't enough because he was ineligible so the whole team that played hard that entire season must be punished and lose the recognition of being the undefeated 2004 BCS national champions. That's going overboard.

And like NBT said... it isn't like what he did was really going to enhance his playing abilities like EPDs or anything like that. It's just rather absurd to go to those lengths and it def leaves the question as to... who will be next?

Crimson
06-07-2011, 01:36 PM
Isn't it fair to strip other schools who "cheated" of their achievments as well then? It's bullshit if it's only on USC. I wanna see same punishments to Ohio State.

Miotch
06-07-2011, 01:40 PM
I'm a USC Alum. I was at that game. They can't take that away from me no matter how much they try. Fuck the NCAA and fuck the BCS. It's all terrible and corrupt.

James Steele
06-07-2011, 03:33 PM
They have vacated wins and such before, and it is relatively meaningless. The issue is that the players of today at USC are the ones being hammered for the mistakes of Reggie Bush. Pete Carroll got skip town and beat the heat too.

Miotch
06-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Yes, that is what is terrible here. See my above comments about the NCAA being corrupt.

Emperor Smeat
06-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Auburn's 2011 title and Ohio State's 2003 titles would be the next ones to remove logically because of NCAA basically admitting without actually saying it that Cam Newton's father did get paid to put his son in Auburn and Ohio State's mess with Tressel dates back to his first year at the school with Maurice Clarrett.

Only main problem is the BCS would have to expand on the stripping of titles to include more than ineligible players.

Vastardikai
06-07-2011, 04:33 PM
Much of this could be avoided just by paying these kids to play.

James Steele
06-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Much of this could be avoided just by paying these kids to play.

I have no doubt they would if it wasn't for Title IX and the other non-revenue sports. Imagine the legal shitstorm that would ensue if they paid football players/Men's Basketball players but not baseball, softball, men's soccer, women's soccer, men's lacrosse, women's lacrosse, tennis, swim, dive, hockey, etc. Also, the whole idea that college athletes are amateurs, the value of a college education, so on and so forth. Men's Basketball is a fucking joke since if you have a good freshmen year your ass is gone to the NBA. At least the NFL makes you sit for 3 years. Hell, in soccer,hockey, and baseball (to an extent) they don't even fuck around with the colleges so much as they just get them out of high school and straight to their developmental leagues.

SlickyTrickyDamon
06-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Student ath-o-letess?!