PDA

View Full Version : What is your definition of 'IWC'?

Tazz Dan
06-07-2011, 06:43 AM
I am interested to know how each of you view and define the Internet Wrestling Community. There's no right or wrong answer here either, I just think we all have different opinions on it.

Like my random Mick Foley thread a couple of months ago, there is a reason behind this, so I'll thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Fignuts
06-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Muties

Tazz Dan
06-07-2011, 07:02 AM
Thanks for your input in the discussion sir

Supreme Olajuwon
06-07-2011, 07:19 AM
It's people who read the dirt sheets and watch the programming as a critic more than as a fan. But they're not always qualified to be a critic so sometimes their opinions are a little silly.

Or to put it another way, professional wrestling is a big inside joke, and the IWC strives to be in on the joke.

The Jayman
06-07-2011, 08:10 AM
Internet Wrestling Cult

djoutcry
06-07-2011, 09:17 AM
IWC = TPWW

SuperSlim
06-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Typically... its the group that wants to be over analytical of each and every facet of the show wanting to seem, look, and sound smart about what they are watching. While it is okay to pick apart different parts like the supposed "humor" that wrestling tries to put out as to whether it is funny or not, the noticeable botched moves and the such... some just push it to the extreme and that is where the IWC typically step in and assume that role.

So yeah there are varying degrees of the IWC, the extreme is what is above. Then you have the middle ground with those that read the rumors, the dirtsheets, and anything else they can find but won't still over analyze the show. They'll dislike it but they won't be overly bitter about it overall.

MoFo
06-07-2011, 10:17 AM
People who frequent wrestling forums to say the following lines -

'Fire Russo!' (regardless of how well TNA are doing)
'push ____!' (usually a cruiserweight with no charisma )
'HHH is holding ____ down!' (probably not true)
'Turn ____ heel!' (usually Cena)
'TNA should sign ____' (obscure indy guy who wont make any difference)

Seth82
06-07-2011, 10:38 AM
IWC are basically knowledgeable fans who read the sheets and know everything about a wrestler before they ever debut in WWE or wherever

ECW's audience at the ECW Arena were full of these kind of people

Gertner
06-07-2011, 10:59 AM
A bunch of fat virgins who live in their parents basement and have their mom drive them to show. a.K.A ROH fans.

Asmo
06-07-2011, 11:22 AM
IMO, the IWC is the Internet Wrestling Community - a bunch of wrestling fans who discuss the sport / (insert whatever the WWE calls it) online. And because of the immediacy, interactivity and cheap nature of the medium, get to read and discuss breaking news, and any other tidbits before the casual, non-internet wrestling fan does. What qualifies as news is subjective, as most of it is restricted to gossip and rumors.

James Steele
06-07-2011, 11:24 AM
There is a new breed of IWC: the IWC Hipster/IWC Counter-Culture:

They bitch, moan, and talk down to the general IWC population. They act like they are above the IWC and aren't a part of it despite being heavily involved with the IWC.

Innovator
06-07-2011, 11:27 AM
THEY DO IT IRONICALLY

Nicky Fives
06-07-2011, 11:27 AM
IWC = TPWW

This 100 times.....

James Steele
06-07-2011, 11:41 AM
http://www.tpww.net/images2/tpwwlogo.gif
http://connect.tnawrestling.com/TNAWrestling/portal/content/TNAWrestling/TNAMarketingMarch/IMPACTWRESTLINGPreview519/Images/WrestlingMatters.jpg

Schlomey
06-07-2011, 12:04 PM
People who frequent wrestling forums to say the following lines -

'Fire Russo!' (regardless of how well TNA are doing)
'push ____!' (usually a cruiserweight with no charisma )
'HHH is holding ____ down!' (probably not true)
'Turn ____ heel!' (usually Cena)
'TNA should sign ____' (obscure indy guy who wont make any difference)

funniest and best post in this thread. :eek:

Jordan
06-07-2011, 12:48 PM
It's people who read the dirt sheets and watch the programming as a critic more than as a fan. But they're not always qualified to be a critic so sometimes their opinions are a little silly.

Or to put it another way, professional wrestling is a big inside joke, and the IWC strives to be in on the joke.

This, exactly.

M-A-G
06-07-2011, 01:17 PM

True this and when they actually get worked, ooooh, man, they work that keyboard something fierce.

Tazz Dan
06-07-2011, 05:11 PM
This is good, thanks guys. So let me throw another one at you. Would you consider someone who does the same thing as say Supreme suggests but do not visit wrestling 'dirt sheets' and forums and only put their views on social media like twitter and/or facebook part of the IWC?

Nark Order
06-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Kane Knight is the IWC.

Jordan
06-07-2011, 05:30 PM
This is good, thanks guys. So let me throw another one at you. Would you consider someone who does the same thing as say Supreme suggests but do not visit wrestling 'dirt sheets' and forums and only put their views on social media like twitter and/or facebook part of the IWC?

No, IWC could stand for Insider Wrestling Community, you gotta be interested in the behind the scenes shit to be a member of the IWC.

bigslimjj
06-07-2011, 05:42 PM
The IWC is you,me,and anyone else that likes the sport so much that they take the time to log on to TPWW and discuss it. This includes facebook,twitter,and any other spoiler or dirt sheets out there. They do this more now then anytime before. But I believe that you'll find these types of fans in many different areas. Comic books,movies,every sport,tv,celebrity gossip and more.

Cool King
06-07-2011, 05:45 PM

That's sortof what I do. :-\

I don't read the "dirt sheets" or spoilers or anything like that.

The main reason I post on this forum is to talk to fellow wrestling fans and also talk about other stuff in the other forums. When I'm watching wrestling, I don't seem to be as critical as some people on the forum. (At least I don't think I am)

A good example was at Over The Limit when the majority of the Wrestling Forum were bitching about the ending on the Cena/Miz match, whereas I was in the minority that actually liked the ending and saw it as progression of something, rather than Cena just being Superman like some people thought.

I watch wrestling out of enjoyment, I don't watch to criticise the decisions that are made, storylines or matches, though I do have my opinions on what I'd like to see, though don't we all, but I don't complain when my opinions aren't heard, but instead, I continue to watch and enjoy the product.

St. Jimmy
06-07-2011, 05:57 PM
This is probably the worst thread I've ever read on TPWW. Honestly.

#BROKEN Hasney
06-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Little Jimmy's

Tazz Dan
06-07-2011, 06:17 PM
No, IWC could stand for Insider Wrestling Community, you gotta be interested in the behind the scenes shit to be a member of the IWC.

Nah it's definitely Internet Wrestling Community. Who's to say the people who don't post on forums aren't interested in behind the scenes action either? I'm trying to get a point from both views here, not arguing with you :)

I guess the point I'm trying to find is, is the IWC really a minor percentage. It's fine if we are, no harm in it at all. Or is it bigger than what it's given credit for? And also are those who dislike being painted as an typical IWC member more protective of the 'exclusivity' than they like to give on.

Lock Jaw
06-07-2011, 06:25 PM
I wrote an essay on cult fandom and wrestling, focusing on the IWC. I used TPWW as a major source.

I will re-read my essay, to see if there is some substance amongst the BS, and see if there is anything "relevant".

Jordan
06-07-2011, 06:26 PM
I'm not arguing either just stating there is a difference in wrestling insiders aka The IWC and die hard wrestling fans who discuss on twitter or facebook or even markish wrestling forums. From my friends who are die hard fans none of them have an interest in the behind the scenes drama like I do. They may be smart to an extent but they don't understand simple things about the business such as the idea of a booker, or even that a wrestler doesn't decide if he is face or heel etc...

Jordan
06-07-2011, 06:27 PM
I've got a friend who has been a wrestling fan since the days of Bruno and he has no idea half the shit I know about the way the business works and he has no interest in it either when I bring it up, it's too much for him to comprehend it seems. Either that or he wants on some level to belive its real so he will just limit his knowledge to what he see's on TV.

Xero
06-07-2011, 06:38 PM
I use smark and the IWC interchangeably. The IWC are the ones who analyze storylines, follow backstage news and are much more critical on a technical level. Not technical as in the ring, but the product in general. The IWC is the diehards of the diehards.

Lock Jaw
06-07-2011, 06:39 PM
"The members of TPWW unite in their mock and ridicule of these 'marks', one member sarcastically remarking 'gotta love American trash'".

Lara Emily
06-07-2011, 06:45 PM
There is a new breed of IWC: the IWC Hipster/IWC Counter-Culture:

They bitch, moan, and talk down to the general IWC population. They act like they are above the IWC and aren't a part of it despite being heavily involved with the IWC.

My favorites. Lots of them here too.

Lock Jaw
06-07-2011, 06:46 PM
C-Fed gets a shout-out in the essay: "Indeed, there is even a section of the forum in which members can create their own completely original characters and write their very own shows about them"

Supreme Olajuwon
06-07-2011, 06:47 PM
It's crazy that someone would call you out when you're being a negative whiny cunt.

Lara Emily
06-07-2011, 06:49 PM
I haven't even posted much in here in like a month. Remember when I said I was done for now? Yeah I wasn't kidding.

Supreme Olajuwon
06-07-2011, 06:50 PM
That's crazy. I don't think I've called someone a negative whiny cunt in like a month.

Lara Emily
06-07-2011, 06:54 PM
I still don't even get what that has to do with what Steele said or me agreeing with him anyway.

Lock Jaw
06-07-2011, 06:59 PM
I think the basic point of my essay (written in 2007) is (this is not a quote):

The IWC likes to feel "exclusive" and position themselves opposite of "marks", and for the past few years opposite of the very product they watch. They use their insider knowledge, terms, and historical knowledge of wrestling to discuss and dissect the programming. Suggest what they would do, how they would change it, and so forth.

But paradoxically, what they all strive for is a moment in which they "mark out". Where they don't necessarily know what is going to happen, or the talent draws them in like "the old days" and they forget the outcome is fixed. So while positioning themselves as anti-"marks", they all want to return to being a "mark", if even for a brief instant.

Which leads me to add onto that with today's changes...

James Steele is right, and an IWC Counter-Culture has arised where they look down on the IWC as well. I think they mainly also want to return to "watching without thinking" and like to throw around terms as "INSIGNIFICANT" and "MOOT" to describe what the IWC wants. They want to "STOP LIVING IN THE PAST" and appreciate the present product for what it is.

The Gold Standard
06-07-2011, 07:00 PM

I could have not put it any better myself.

MoFo
06-07-2011, 07:03 PM
YouTube shooters

Xero
06-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Opinions are like assholes.

Londoner
06-07-2011, 07:05 PM
I think the basic point of my essay (written in 2007) is (this is not a quote):

The IWC likes to feel "exclusive" and position themselves opposite of "marks", and for the past few years opposite of the very product they watch. They use their insider knowledge, terms, and historical knowledge of wrestling to discuss and dissect the programming. Suggest what they would do, how they would change it, and so forth.

But paradoxically, what they all strive for is a moment in which they "mark out". Where they don't necessarily know what is going to happen, or the talent draws them in like "the old days" and they forget the outcome is fixed. So while positioning themselves as anti-"marks", they all want to return to being a "mark", if even for a brief instant.

Which leads me to add onto that with today's changes...

James Steele is right, and an IWC Counter-Culture has arised where they look down on the IWC as well. I think they mainly also want to return to "watching without thinking" and like to throw around terms as "INSIGNIFICANT" and "MOOT" to describe what the IWC wants. They want to "STOP LIVING IN THE PAST" and appreciate the present product for what it is.

I 100% agree with this. Well said LJ.

Jordan
06-07-2011, 07:33 PM
I guess I'm falling into the Counter Culture category but I don't think that is an accurate description on how I feel. I spent time not watching wrestling in the past decade because it was really hit or miss for me and mostly miss, however though reading about wrestling and posting on TPWW and so forth, being a part of the IWC was a part of my online habits. So I keept that up when I was watching or not.

The past few years I have really enjoyed WWE on a fairly consistent basis because the product has been better, but also because I stopped watching as a critic and started to be a fan again.

So now I promote the idea to other unhappy IWC guys who are wasting time talking about wrestling but not enjoying it to consciously change the way you think when you watch wrestling to get involved in the story, not your fantasy booking.

This is all.

Wishbone
06-07-2011, 07:44 PM
The IWC is IMO all of the fans, smarks, and asshats who come online and talk about the product aka all the rejects like us at TPWW

TheChairman
06-08-2011, 02:17 PM
I would say the IWC is like any online Community. Some people go to forums to discuss politics, sports, or the weather outside. Are we as IWC members bad for the product, no, we are just here stating our feelings towards it, what we think could have went better, or what sucked. The IWC is no better/worse than a local sports teams followers that go online to discuss the progress of the team.

Gertner
06-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Sports are real, wrestling is fake. There's a difference.

Supreme Olajuwon
06-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Ya there is a huge difference with being a fan of something that is scripted.

Supreme Olajuwon
06-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Can you imagine your favorite team winning the Super Bowl and you saying "Eh that was ok, but they should've built the hype more in the 4th quarter"?

CSL
06-08-2011, 07:42 PM
shut up hipster

Jordan
06-08-2011, 08:56 PM
What's really sad is someone who doesn't like wrestling, doesn't watch wrestling but still needs to come on TPWW and trolly the forums to make himself feel cool. Gertner.

Aguakate
06-08-2011, 09:05 PM
...I've heard some people refer to the "YWC"...is this the same as the "IWC" or...something else?

CSL
06-08-2011, 09:24 PM
What's really sad is someone who doesn't like wrestling, doesn't watch wrestling but still needs to come on TPWW and trolly the forums to make himself feel cool. Gertner.

Pretty sure Gertner has a legit interest/passion for wrestling/'knows his shit' more than a lot of people here, he just enjoys winding people up more.

Jordan
06-08-2011, 09:29 PM
...I've heard some people refer to the "YWC"...is this the same as the "IWC" or...something else?

No thats the YMCA, totally different :heart:

Jordan
06-08-2011, 09:30 PM
Pretty sure Gertner has a legit interest/passion for wrestling/'knows his shit' more than a lot of people here, he just enjoys winding people up more.

Always gotta be somebody.

XL
06-09-2011, 04:30 AM
Movies are fake. People still discuss them online to minute detail. Some people are even paid to critique films, y'know.

The Naitch
06-09-2011, 05:25 AM
anyone named Ryan Clark

Gertner
06-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Movies are fake. People still discuss them online to minute detail. Some people are even paid to critique films, y'know.

I put movies in the same category as wrestling. Sports are different.

Lock Jaw
06-09-2011, 12:46 PM
That is part of the negative stigma of wrestling. Much of the general public doesn't see it as "scripted entertainment" they see it as a "fake sport".

And cheating at sports is a big no-no and angers everybody, so naturally they hate a "fake sport".

kareru
06-09-2011, 01:18 PM
that's' why i believe that many people don't like wrestling, they think that the wrestling promotions are trying to pull the wool over their eyes and think of wrestling fans as fools because they are 'falling for it'

i mean we've all heard this right

do you like wrestling?

no

why not?

because it's fake

in short, we need more smarks

Volare
06-09-2011, 01:21 PM
Smarking just like Queering doesn't work.....I think.

BigDaddyCool
06-09-2011, 04:47 PM
Everyone on the internet talking about wrestling, especially you fags.

The Jayman
06-09-2011, 04:57 PM

Not when you have Fantasy (insert random sport) Leagues.

It's the same damn you. THE SAME