PDA

View Full Version : Jesus Christ Nintendo needs to get their asses in gear

road doggy dogg
04-29-2004, 03:53 PM
This is nothing new, just a rant. It is so annoying how Nintendo has no online support for Gamecube whatsoever. I mean, they wonder why they're getting killed by Sony and (to a lesser extent) Microsoft in sales. Hey guys, ever think it's because people can actually enjoy playing their games? Ever wonder why all those third-party developrs jump ship to make games for PS2?

God, just think of how awesome it would be. Mario Kart: Double Dash!! online (not that LAN stuff that currently works, I'm talking about full-blown online awesomeness) 16 players going mad on a course, working co-operatively (2 per vehicle, remember) to strategically try to win. They could have ranks and everything, so the top players could have more bragging rights, and find games with players of similar skill level. Plus, battle mode would be infinitely cooler. I'd imagine if it were online, you could have more than 4 players at a time doing it. Imagine an 8 player free-for-all, red shells flying. That would be immense.

Another obvious game that would benefit from onlineness would be Super Smash Bros. Melee. I mean, c'mon. Do I need to even say anything here? Granted, the gmae single-player (and multiplayer in terms of playing with friends) is about as polished as a game can get, and easily one of the best games on Gamecube. But just imagine how insanely addicting the game would be playing it online. That's the stuff that video games are made out of.

Of course, any sports title is a must-have as well. True, the dynasty modes in Madden and NHL (haven't played any of the other EA sports games, so I don't know if they have it) are VERY well done, and an awesome way of keeping the single-player fresh. But I mean c'mon, I can beat the CPU on difficult in NHL by a 5-goal margin pretty easily now. It's so much more challenging playing against a live opponent. Not to mention fun, since it would likely have voice-chat as well, which makes for bragging rights and all that fun stuff. What would be a really sweet idea in the future would be having say, a 30-player season in Madden, all with human players, each managing a team, and have them all do it in real-time. That would be f'n insane. Stuff like that just makes me want to hump a TV.

God, there are so many more games I could think of that would benefit from this. Imagine a multiplayer Metroid game, for instance. Endless possibilities. I swear, if Nintendo doesn't do something soon (as in, their next console), I'm seriously going to consider abandoning the company I've stayed true to for over 10 years. I do respect what they've done in the business, but if they're not willing to evolve with the rest of the world then I don't want to be left behind with them.

[/rant]]]]

DS
04-29-2004, 04:56 PM
Actually, Metroid Prime 2: Echos has a multiplayer. The thing is, back in the days of Playstation and N64 multiplayer in a game was the best you could do and when you hear it had the capabilities for multiplayer it was a huge plus for the game. Well now, it's not as big of a deal. Sure, multiplayer MP is going to be awesome if you have a lot of people come over often but what, as an average customer, is going to drag me to MP2 multiplayer over Halo 2 multi/online and killzone multi/online?

They really need to jump up their game quickly or you can expect them to be killed in the next system race.

LoDownM
04-29-2004, 04:58 PM
GC has a Fire Emblem game coming out. Which is why one will be sitting next to my PS2 in a couple weeks.

Shaggy
04-29-2004, 11:55 PM
Game Cube does have an online adapter. There are only 2 games for it which are like online multiplayer games but still its online. Yes if Nintendo did just for once make some good online games then this would start selling Nintendo stuff. Nintendo needs to get there head back in the game.

Kane Knight
04-30-2004, 12:59 AM
The problem is it's little more than lipservice to actual online gaming. The writing's on the wall, this is the way console gaming is going.

Kalyx triaD
04-30-2004, 02:28 PM
Nintendo is staying old fashioned and I don't agree with GC/GBA connectivity thing. It's novel but seriously, they didn't really think it'll be mainstream did they? Not as well as the ever growing online games, anyway.

mitch_h
04-30-2004, 03:18 PM
Yea I think online play for the Gamecube would really help. I mean some of the games that they would offer would be pretty different to most other multiplayer games out there. I mean Mario Party online or Super Smash Bros online would be pretty original.

Plus I won't feel like i've wasted 75 dollars on a broadband adapter. :mad:

Kane Knight
04-30-2004, 04:01 PM
Nintendo is staying old fashioned and I don't agree with GC/GBA connectivity thing. It's novel but seriously, they didn't really think it'll be mainstream did they? Not as well as the ever growing online games, anyway.
How is the connectivity between GC and GBA really old-fashioned?

road doggy dogg
04-30-2004, 04:08 PM
Oh yeah damn, Mario Party would be another awesome title.

And personally, I really like the GBA/GC stuff. Well, for the most part. I like it in games like Animal Crossing, where if you use it you get bonus features and the like. I don't like it when it's required for a game, like with that Final Fantasy one or whatever. Otherwise it's a pretty cool idea that just adds to the experience of playing the game.

Dragon
04-30-2004, 04:14 PM
I'd just be happy if they just started putting out some good games like they used to have for their other systems. I haven't really kept up to date about what games are coming out or anything, but what I've seen hasn't been the greatest. I don't really like the whole "kid" image they seem to be going with.

Tornado
04-30-2004, 04:23 PM
<font color=#33ffff>Super Smash Brothers Melee would be madd hot online. It could take over Gunbound as the official game of TPWW.</font>

road doggy dogg
04-30-2004, 04:24 PM
Yeah it's true that they don't release a lot of the more adult-themed games (GTA and the like), but they do have some good ones.

Granted, most of their best games are the 'kiddie' ones that the franchise was built upon... Metroid Prime, Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, games like that are probably some of the best on the system. It would be nice if they released more games, but I personally like the games they release. They are usually really original (Animal Crossing, Pikmin) and aren't just a rehash of another game already being made (like all the GTA clones out there on PS2). But yeah, if they want to get back into the top spot (or top 2 at least) they need to really start getting serious about releasing more mature gamess

Funky Fly
04-30-2004, 04:27 PM
I can't disagree with anything RDD said.

In fact, I agree whole heartedly.

In fact, I am going to rep him good right now because his ideas made my penis happy.

Funky Fly
04-30-2004, 04:30 PM
Smash Bros Melee online would ramp up it's (already very high) replay value over 6000 times.

And can you imagine games like Souls Calibur 2 online? I would jizz myself to be able to play that online... especially if you could cross over systems. Link vs Spawn anyone?

Dragon
04-30-2004, 04:32 PM
Yeah, I like Mario Sunshine, Mario Kart, Zelda, etc... I haven't played the "newer" Zelda for the Gamecube but the graphics look "different". Like I don't really like the way it looked but that isn't that big of a deal to me if the games good.

I just remember back in the day playing N64 and having games like Perfect Dark, the 007 games and the like.

road doggy dogg
04-30-2004, 04:32 PM
Yeah really, get with the program Nintendo :'(

Also, Pikmin 2 is coming out sometime in August. That made me very happy.

road doggy dogg
04-30-2004, 05:03 PM
Yeah the new Zelda game uses that cel shading stuff. It looks different, but it's not bad or anything. Unfortunately, the game itself was a bit of a let-down. I mean, it was a good game and all, but compared to Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time, it just felt short and easy. Wasn't that keen on the idea of going around on a boat either.

And yeah, they need a hot FPS multiplayer game on Gamecube. Perfect Dark and Goldeneye were massively funnn

Funky Fly
04-30-2004, 05:18 PM
Yeah the new Zelda game uses that cel shading stuff. It looks different, but it's not bad or anything. Unfortunately, the game itself was a bit of a let-down. I mean, it was a good game and all, but compared to Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time, it just felt short and easy. Wasn't that keen on the idea of going around on a boat either.

And yeah, they need a hot FPS multiplayer game on Gamecube. Perfect Dark and Goldeneye were massively funnn

Yeah, they really dropped the ball letting Rare go. No more Donkey Kong Country, Perfect Dark or Killer Instinct on Nintendo. :'(

Kane Knight
04-30-2004, 06:37 PM
Yeah the new Zelda game uses that cel shading stuff. It looks different, but it's not bad or anything.
Cell shading isn't inherrently bad, but the newer Zelda games look kind of stupid in the graphics department. While I personally don't care if a game looks dumb, as long as it plays well, many people go "that looks gay" and won't even give it a shot. This really doesn't help any, especially since Nintendo's been going for such a hardcore "kiddy" image that they're scaring off the older gamers.

Some of the games using Cel Shading actually look pretty cool.

road doggy dogg
04-30-2004, 07:07 PM
Yeah. The new TMNT game (which is quite bad, admittedly), looks really awesome with the cel shading.

HeartBreakMan2k
04-30-2004, 08:47 PM
Hasn't Nintendo already announced their next system will be their last, after which they will move to game development? I could have sworn I heard or read that somewhere.

Buzzkill
05-01-2004, 12:25 AM
I sorta gave up on nintendo.

Hired Hitman
05-01-2004, 01:30 AM
I quit nintendo just after the Playstation 2 came out, When I had the first playstation, I had the nintendo64, and I usally played it more, because of some really good games, but once the ps2 came out, i jumped to that side, my nintendo64 is downstairs in a pile of cables :$ simply because i loved the playstation games more.

Kane Knight
05-01-2004, 02:27 AM
Yeah. The new TMNT game (which is quite bad, admittedly), looks really awesome with the cel shading.

Agreed. That game looked quite hot. The one thing that pisses me off is that it's 2P only, even with 4 Turtles. :mad: even on GC, with those 4 controller ports built right in. I mean, COME ON!

Kane Knight
05-01-2004, 02:27 AM
Hasn't Nintendo already announced their next system will be their last, after which they will move to game development? I could have sworn I heard or read that somewhere.
I don't know about that as fact.

road doggy dogg
05-01-2004, 02:31 AM
Yeah that was just a rumor. If their next console sells horribly or something, then it may very well be their last. Who knows though.

And yeah, TMNT had a lot of shortcomings. 4 player would have been nice. Gameplay would've been a nice addition too. :$ Don't get me wrong, I had a good 4 or 5 days playing it, but it's kind of annoying when a game based solely on fighting, features only THREE MOVES per character. It just got way too tedious, far too fast. Could've been an awesome game. :'(

Funky Fly
05-01-2004, 02:52 AM
Yeah, the demo I played made me want to cry. I need me some TMNT IV lovin' right now. :'(

TheNamelessOne
05-01-2004, 06:57 AM
Nintendo aren't getting beaten by MS and Sony in the sales because of a lack of online capabilities, they are getting beaten because of the publics perception that Nintendo games are kiddie, and therefore a lot of people overlook the games because they look like they were made for a 5 year old audience.

That said though, they do have a large hardcore fanbase who are not dumb enough to completly overlook Pikmin or Mario Sunshine because they feel they are too mature for it.

Anyway, online gaming on consoles is usually completly overrated. I don't know why games developers advertise it so much as the majority of people either can't use it, or don't care.

MrMeJW
05-01-2004, 11:17 AM

Try Timesplitters 2, its a great game that should be around the 20 dollar mark used now. I think its as good as Halo multiplayer wise. Also check out the new Serious Same game that was released earlier this week. Its a super simple game with no real story. It reminds me a lot of Doom where you see something and shoot it. Multiplayer with that is pretty fun too.

Kane Knight
05-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Yeah that was just a rumor. If their next console sells horribly or something, then it may very well be their last. Who knows though.

And yeah, TMNT had a lot of shortcomings. 4 player would have been nice. Gameplay would've been a nice addition too. :$ Don't get me wrong, I had a good 4 or 5 days playing it, but it's kind of annoying when a game based solely on fighting, features only THREE MOVES per character. It just got way too tedious, far too fast. Could've been an awesome game. :'(

Realistically, Nintendo could be in dire straits. However, nothing's official, and it's based on how well they do.

TMNT was short on gameplay? When Rob and I rented it, it skipped and wouldn't load, and we never got around to renting a new copy.

Kane Knight
05-01-2004, 11:28 AM
Nintendo aren't getting beaten by MS and Sony in the sales because of a lack of online capabilities, they are getting beaten because of the publics perception that Nintendo games are kiddie, and therefore a lot of people overlook the games because they look like they were made for a 5 year old audience.[....]

Anyway, online gaming on consoles is usually completly overrated. I don't know why games developers advertise it so much as the majority of people either can't use it, or don't care.
I've already commented on the kiddie bit. It does seriously affect their sales.

However, I think it's a little sortsighted to dismiss online capabilities.

road doggy dogg
05-01-2004, 12:27 PM
Realistically, Nintendo could be in dire straits. However, nothing's official, and it's based on how well they do.

TMNT was short on gameplay? When Rob and I rented it, it skipped and wouldn't load, and we never got around to renting a new copy.

Yeah that's totally true. Things aren't looking good though. I remember reading an article or something online (I totally forget how I stumbled upon it, it may have been on IGN or the like) about how Gamecube has been their lowest selling console yet, with sales dropping with each generation. NES sold something like 70 million units, SNES around 50 million, N64 about 30, and GC had like 16 million. Still though, something like online capabilities would restore a lot of people's faith in the company, but like said, it won't totally fix everything. The whole kiddie image thing is hurting them too, I agree.

Not sure what happened with your TMNT there... maybe the CD was scratched or something. :-\ Mine runs really smoothly, no bugs or anything, I'll give it that. It isn't a horrible game or anything, it just could've been a lot better.

Kalyx triaD
05-01-2004, 04:16 PM
How is the connectivity between GC and GBA really old-fashioned?

That point was seperate from the one made in the same sentence, sorry. Grammer, grammer, Jean. the GC/GBA thing is novel and new, but not mainstream as I said. But neither is online play.

Get this; me and three of my friend's spent upwards of three hours playing Conflict 2: Desort Storm. A four player co-op game for XBox. Graphics are Gen 1 PS2 worthy, but this is possibly the greatest four player co-op game in existance. And I don't say bold shit like that. Lots of people have an XB, every XB has four ports. So why isn't the idea of making four player games that would apply to EVERY XB owner done more..? Hmmm... Not everyone can enjoy XBox Live, so why invest so much for a minority..? Hmmm... The same could be said about the GC/GBA Connectivity and PS2's Harddrive. For some reason companies are satisfying a minority of gamers over ideas that may affect a majority in the future. They're wrong. As with my statement with the XB's four ports; if they really wanted 'everyone' to enjoy a certain gimmick, they'll make it out-the-box available for the majority; like four controller ports. In this oppinion, Nintendo has slapped us in the face.

Not only demanding we buy the already cool GBA (so that part isn't so bad), we have to shell out for cable as well. That's one hell of an investment for the same people who gave us humorously short controller cables to set up the Wavebird's coming (which in turn, turned out to be the best wireless controller; so why not package it in..?). I like Nintendo and I grew up with them, but they're current way of business is border line disrespect.

$100 to enjoy Final Fantasy 11. Nuff said.

The Destroyer
05-01-2004, 04:29 PM
I'm a bit annoyed that Nintendo's strategies have caused some developers to just give up on developing for it. Particularly Eidos, which means the GC won't be getting the next installment in the Hitman series...

Kane Knight
05-01-2004, 04:42 PM
Hmmm... Not everyone can enjoy XBox Live, so why invest so much for a minority..?
Money.

They can get you to shell out a monthly fee, or they can rely on games that are a one-time source of income.

Hmmm.

I'm not even convinced about this whole "minority" thing. There's a HUGE market for online gaming.

Kalyx triaD
05-01-2004, 04:43 PM
I'm a bit annoyed that Nintendo's strategies have caused some developers to just give up on developing for it. Particularly Eidos, which means the GC won't be getting the next installment in the Hitman series...

Doubt they mind too much. Silicon Knights was shaping up to be Nintendo's next Rareware, but they're sharing the love now. Due to creative differences as well. Nintendo needs to lay down that ego before they're finished.

Kalyx triaD
05-01-2004, 04:44 PM
Money.

They can get you to shell out a monthly fee, or they can rely on games that are a one-time source of income.

Hmmm.

I'm not even convinced about this whole "minority" thing. There's a HUGE market for online gaming.

Huge, but not Offline multiplayer huge. Just popular. I wouldn't call it mainstream yet.

road doggy dogg
05-01-2004, 08:00 PM
I would.

samichna
05-01-2004, 08:27 PM
I also get sexually aroused from badmouthing Nintendo.

Kane Knight
05-01-2004, 10:19 PM
Huge, but not Offline multiplayer huge. Just popular. I wouldn't call it mainstream yet.
Because there hasn't been an interest in online gaming since the days of the NES, people weren't creaming themselves over rumours of online gaming forprevious systems, and network/online gaming hasn't had a pretty big following.

It's pretty mainstream.

You notice there's more interest in it than most of the specialty deals, like the guncons and such?

Mr. Monday Morning
05-02-2004, 08:44 AM
All I know is the GC doing fairly badly means I was able to pick one up yesterday avec extra controller, memory card, 2 (!) disc carry cases, Mario Kart (with Zelda bonus disc with the old 4 games on :love: ), Viewtiful Joe, Metroid and Mario Sunshine for £160. Absolute bargain.

Kapoutman
05-04-2004, 01:40 PM
By the way, RDD, they announced Goldeneye 2 for Gamecube. Not sure how it will look though.

The Destroyer
05-04-2004, 02:52 PM
It's not Goldeneye 2 at all though. It's just yet another EA bond game that happens to be claiming some tenuous link to the original Goldeneye game in order to gain publicity. Personally I'm not holding my breath for anything more than a typically average EA effort...

What I am looking forward to is the the new game from Free Radical (Timesplitters) which for some reason I can't remember the name of...

Funky Fly
05-05-2004, 02:32 AM
All I know is the GC doing fairly badly means I was able to pick one up yesterday avec extra controller, memory card, 2 (!) disc carry cases, Mario Kart (with Zelda bonus disc with the old 4 games on :love: ), Viewtiful Joe, Metroid and Mario Sunshine for £160. Absolute bargain.
:eek:

That IS a bargain.

Mr. Monday Morning
05-05-2004, 10:39 AM
:y:

May I just say Viewtiful Joe is the absolute shit :love:

Majora's Mask saving system :nono:

Funky Fly
05-05-2004, 04:34 PM
Yeah, Viewtiful Joe is the ultimate side scrolling beat em up. :love:

Kane Knight
05-06-2004, 05:55 PM
It's a shame that it's been panned for being so "kiddy" looking.

I haven't played it yet. Too many games I need to try to validate renting it.

Kane Knight
05-06-2004, 06:00 PM
I mean, I'm not gonna praise a game I've never even played, but it's just stupid to say a game is childish based on look.

Now if you don't like the game itself, the graphics certainly won't save it.

Funky Fly
05-07-2004, 01:23 AM
I mean, I'm not gonna praise a game I've never even played, but it's just stupid to say a game is childish based on look.

Now if you don't like the game itself, the graphics certainly won't save it.
The graphics, while kinda childish looking, are visually stunning. The control, the level design, the music, the villains, the moves... this game is perfect.

Kane Knight
05-07-2004, 01:52 PM
Again, not in a position to judge. :p

Funky Fly
05-07-2004, 03:16 PM
Again, not in a position to judge. :p
Rent it. It's worth it.

Mr. Monday Morning
05-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Rent it. It's worth it.

:y:

I dunno, I'd even go so far as to argue it might just be worth a purchase if that sort of genre is your thing, and it's cheap enough. Over here it can be bought for £15, if you even remotely like side-scrollers (and there's some lateral thinking in there as well...and it's tough) then I'd say it's worth a go.