PDA

View Full Version : So what does James Steele think about Sin Cara?

FourFifty
06-12-2011, 11:52 PM
Legit question for the man who would make sweet love to Triple H and not think it's gay (with much bro/Kliq love to James Steele).

Sin Cara is seen as this guy that HAS to make it big because Triple H found him. Now I'm not too impressed with the guy, as he can't work a mic or work a match with a guy bigger than a normal heavyweight. The guy has a mask that covers up too much so you can't get a feel for what he's feeling (something I care about as I've been studying acting). There's so much wrong with Sin Cara. He's fantastic in Mexico because Mexican wrestling does not have to make any sense. They'll do flips because it looks pretty. There's no reasoning. This works for Sin Cara in Mexico, but not for anyone in the USA.

I can name 10 other guys that WWE should have signed instead of Sin Cara.

Pac
El Generico
Chris Hero
Sean Waltman
ODB
Jimmy Cones
THE Brian Kendrick
Shad
One or IRS's kids
(insert your fav. unknown indy wrestler here)

Now I know that James Steele is TPWW's resident Triple H lover, but I'd like to know what he thinks of Sin Cara. So, Mr. Steele, IF THAT IS YOUR REAL NAME, what do you think of Sin Cara?

CSL
06-12-2011, 11:58 PM
You talk about 'doing flips for no reason' in terms of Sin Cara and then list PAC as your #1 guy WWE should sign. Followed by El Generico, who would look as threatening as a tub of chocolate mousse in WWE.

Juan
06-13-2011, 12:00 AM
Which one of those guys you listed would fit the "next Rey Mysterio" label WWE was looking for when WWE signed Sin Cara?

CSL
06-13-2011, 12:00 AM
ftr, I don't believe either PAC or Sin Cara are necessarily guilty of 'doing flips for no reason'/are both very good but I thought you bringing that point up only to then list PAC who does the same stuff, if not more but is about 1/100th as marketable is kind of absurd.

CSL
06-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Now Jungle PAC on the other hand...

Lock Jaw
06-13-2011, 12:10 AM
The guy has a mask that covers up too much so you can't get a feel for what he's feeling (something I care about as I've been studying acting).

Agree with this 100%. Been saying this from the start. He is never going to be as big as Mysterio because of the fact that you just can't get "into his head". You can't see his emotions. He can't draw people in with a look of pain, or wow people with a look of determination. Can't be happy. Can't be sad.

Other people's argument for it here has been "Yeah, but it is unique!"

I say, screw being unique. A full mask is ok for, say, a random luchadore in the 90s WCW Cruiserweight division.... but for a guy that you want to be a big star... just not going to happen with the full mask.

SlickyTrickyDamon
06-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Didn't they already hire Sean Waltman already for something? I thought I heard something like that.

Supreme Olajuwon
06-13-2011, 12:14 AM
Uh have you seen the "acting" in WWE? I'd prefer most of them wear full masks.

Supreme Olajuwon
06-13-2011, 12:17 AM
"(something I care about as I've been studying acting)"

Most pretentious parenthetical statement of all time.

SlickyTrickyDamon
06-13-2011, 12:29 AM
They also already have BOTH of IRS's sons under contract.

Autobahn
06-13-2011, 12:38 AM
Agree with this 100%. Been saying this from the start. He is never going to be as big as Mysterio because of the fact that you just can't get "into his head". You can't see his emotions. He can't draw people in with a look of pain, or wow people with a look of determination. Can't be happy. Can't be sad.

Other people's argument for it here has been "Yeah, but it is unique!"

I say, screw being unique. A full mask is ok for, say, a random luchadore in the 90s WCW Cruiserweight division.... but for a guy that you want to be a big star... just not going to happen with the full mask.

This can be worked around to a degree though. For example, focus on how you can visually express pain rather than using facial expressions, like grabbing your leg in pain or whatever.

I like Sin Cara, but it feels like he is being pushed down our throats as 'we have to see this guy as the next big thing'. Let it happen naturally. He has the potential for sure.

Supreme Olajuwon
06-13-2011, 12:40 AM
I wonder how much of this feeling that Cara's being pushed down our throats has to do with the fact that he's a face. I'd have to think it has at least something to do with it.

SlickyTrickyDamon
06-13-2011, 12:46 AM
True, nobody is really saying "Alberto Del Rio is being pushed down our throats." If a face got the amount of airtime that Alberto Del Rio got on both Raw and Smackdown on the Road to WrestleMania somebody would complain to all hell about it.

Supreme Olajuwon
06-13-2011, 12:55 AM
And I don't mean that in the sense of "Oh the IWC hates faces." I mean that in how it's hard to get a brand new face over period.

Lock Jaw
06-13-2011, 01:14 AM
True, nobody is really saying "Alberto Del Rio is being pushed down our throats."

I've said that before. The issue is not being face/heel.

... It's being Mexican. :shifty:

Supreme Olajuwon
06-13-2011, 01:39 AM
Or maybe the issue is that you're a huge jerk. Just saying. It's an option.

Wishbone
06-13-2011, 01:52 AM
Sincara is what he is. The guy was and is meant to be a mechandise mover and from what I've seen/heard he's doing his job well. The people buying the masks are kids and kids don't care about the emotion or acting aspects of wrestling they just want a crazy over the top hero who they can scream for at the top of their little lungs and who will keep their ADHD brains entertained with flashy non-sensical moves.

Sixx
06-13-2011, 02:41 AM
http://cdn.sescoops.com/wp-content/uploads/mistico_sin_mascara.jpg

Should have a hole in the mask to show that fantastic 'stache.

Brigstocke
06-13-2011, 02:48 AM
Isn't that Manny Pacqiuao?

Sixx
06-13-2011, 02:53 AM
Isn't that Manny Pacqiuao?

He actually looks like a teenage beaner gangsta wannabe.

chrisat928
06-13-2011, 03:01 AM
Looks more like Aaron Sanchez from Food Network.

Sixx
06-13-2011, 03:09 AM
Looks like this guy:

http://www.crestock.com/images/1430000-1439999/1438447-xs.jpg

What Would Kevin Do?
06-13-2011, 03:17 AM
Legit question for the man who would make sweet love to Triple H and not think it's gay (with much bro/Kliq love to James Steele).

Sin Cara is seen as this guy that HAS to make it big because Triple H found him. Now I'm not too impressed with the guy, as he can't work a mic or work a match with a guy bigger than a normal heavyweight. The guy has a mask that covers up too much so you can't get a feel for what he's feeling (something I care about as I've been studying acting). There's so much wrong with Sin Cara. He's fantastic in Mexico because Mexican wrestling does not have to make any sense. They'll do flips because it looks pretty. There's no reasoning. This works for Sin Cara in Mexico, but not for anyone in the USA.

I can name 10 other guys that WWE should have signed instead of Sin Cara.

Pac
El Generico
Chris Hero
Sean Waltman
ODB
Jimmy Cones
THE Brian Kendrick
Shad
One or IRS's kids
(insert your fav. unknown indy wrestler here)

Now I know that James Steele is TPWW's resident Triple H lover, but I'd like to know what he thinks of Sin Cara. So, Mr. Steele, IF THAT IS YOUR REAL NAME, what do you think of Sin Cara?

Chris Hero for the win. Everyone else... meh.

St. Jimmy
06-13-2011, 05:17 AM
El Generico is amazing WWKD, WTF.

Waylander
06-13-2011, 06:20 AM
Add Claudio to that list.

As for mr Cara, I think he'll struggle to get 'over' but if they're consistent with his push he'll get there.

djoutcry
06-13-2011, 08:49 AM
What about when Kane had a full face mask and had Paul as his mouth piece? It could be done with Cara, although giving him a manager would make him look heel'ish...

djoutcry
06-13-2011, 09:12 AM
You could cut open the bottom of his mask like how Rey has his, but then Sin Cara's name would make less sense.

jskinnyg
06-13-2011, 10:38 AM
Uh have you seen the "acting" in WWE? I'd prefer most of them wear full masks.

exACTLY!

Corporate CockSnogger
06-13-2011, 10:41 AM
What about when Kane had a full face mask and had Paul as his mouth piece? It could be done with Cara, although giving him a manager would make him look heel'ish...

Kane used to portray more emotion with his little head tilt alone than most other people on the roster.

What Would Kevin Do?
06-13-2011, 11:35 AM
El Generico is amazing WWKD, WTF.

Never said he wasn't. El Generico is amazing, but he'll never make it in WWE as he is. The gimmick itself seems like something Jericho or Christian would do against Sin Cara. More importantly though, move of his moveset will be gutted too, as I doubt WWE will even let someone use a regular, standing brainbuster.

That's why I said MEH for Generico. I think he's one of those guys who would just crash in the WWE. Hero, on the other hand, has a style that is very accommodating to the WWE style.

What Would Kevin Do?
06-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Add Claudio to that list.

Rock Bottom
06-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Sin Cara is either late or early in the WWE, depending on how you look at it. I don't think he can bring anything that Mysterio doesn't. It's probably tough to figure out what to even do with that guy, I don't really know. It's guys like that who would prosper with some type of light heavyweight division. I think the WWE has enough to do that, they just won't/can't put wheels on it.

I have to wonder why you mentioned Sean Waltman though. Unless he came out clean shaven as the 1-2-3 Kid and started scoring ridiculous upsets and fleeing the ring I don't see the point.

James Steele
06-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Sin Cara is learning to adapt and he has put on good matches, but he is 619 Light and until he gets a mouthpiece (I can't expect him to learn English and be able to cut awesome promos quickly) and deals with bigger guys he will be a upper midcard attraction at best. That isn't a bad thing, mind you. Triple H got thrown in pig shit and he ended up alright. Sin Cara will be fine as he fits the niche WWE wanted to fill.

Nervous Ferret
06-13-2011, 04:05 PM
So what does James Steele think about Sin Cara? I'll tell you what James Steele thinks about Sin Cara.

(it's important to me because I've also been studying up on acting recently)

BizarroKing
06-13-2011, 04:41 PM
I think Sin Cara is WWE trying to do something different which when you think about it could be something good in the long run. Now regarding your list...

Pac-I'm sorry I'm not sure who this is...

El Generico-Great gimmick, but knowing WWE, they'd probably bury him within weeks or saddle him with some sort of comedy gimmick...

Chris Hero-Mmm, yea this actually COULD work...but that all depends if WWE would be willing to let him succeed.

ODB-Let's compare her to the Divas in wwe...think about how they would work together...Doesn't seem possible.

Jimmy Cones-Haven't seen enough of him yet.

THE Brian Kendrick, Shad, and Sean Waltman-You DO realize they WERE in wwe and at least two of them had a chance to make it big only to screw themselves (in one case, more than once)

One or IRS's kids-Already under contract, one of them was Husky Harris.

Lock Jaw
06-13-2011, 04:52 PM
El Generico sounds like it already IS a comedy gimmick. You telling me it isn't?

FourFifty
06-13-2011, 05:28 PM
Still not a fan of Sin Cara, but I'd like to reply to a few things on this thread.

For the former WWE guys- I realize they were in WWE, but Vince has signed a number of people who have been with the company before. There are no burned bridges if there's a pay off on the other side.

With the full mask- It worked for Kane because he was a monster with a backstory the moment we heard Jim Ross say "IT'S GOTTA BE KANE!" Sin Cara is far from a monster. He's just a dude in a power ranger's mask. Rey's mask works for him because we can see the look in his eyes and the look on his face.

Pac/Generico doing useless flips- They can do more than useless flips... Generico more so than Pac, but these two guys can work a match. Generico is a comedy gimmick, but a serious worker (who will one day kill someone with his brain buster)

The Next Rey- Once again, eveyone (WWE writing staff included) needs to understand there is no "Next." Ric Flair wasn't the second Buddy Rogers. He was the first Ric Flair. Kane wasn't the next Undertaker, he was Kane. If WWE really wanted a "next" then Jack Swagger would be hitting the ring to Real American while Randy Orton drinks a few beers saying "OH HELL YEAH" as Zack Ryder pats himself on the back for being everyone's fav jobber after losing to Ziggler with a fisherman's suplex.

And anytime I can get the award with the phrase "Most prenteious statement" I'll take it.

Supreme Olajuwon
06-13-2011, 05:51 PM
Is that what your acting coach told you to say?

FourFifty
06-13-2011, 06:00 PM
Yes, my acting coach told me to say that, but I was told to add a little subtext into that.

What Would Kevin Do?
06-13-2011, 07:05 PM
The most impressive thing El Generico does is his leaping through the corner ropes to hit a suicide dive/tornado ddt. That is fucking awesome looking.

What Would Kevin Do?
06-13-2011, 07:07 PM
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XlTIN6TkQrg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

40 second mark.

Supreme Olajuwon
06-13-2011, 07:39 PM
Never seen that apron brainbustahhhhhhhhh before

looks dangerous as fuck