PDA

View Full Version : Top 25 Managers in WWE History

Providence Peep
06-15-2011, 06:49 PM
OK, so we all know WWE.com has published a list counting down the top 25 managers in WWE history. The list's criteria is measured by a manager's ability to get the crowd to react.

Matt Striker says, "A great manager is someone that can incite the emotions of the WWE Universe." WWE.com added: "As usual, he was right. When the final bell rings, it’s not about championships or main events - although those things matter - it’s about making the fans react."

So now, take a look at the list (if you haven't already) and see what you think.

1. Bobby "The Brain" Heenan
2. Jimmy Hart
3. Freddie Blassie
4. Captain Lou Albano
5. Sensational Sherri
6. The Grand Wizard
7. Paul Bearer
8. Arnold Skaaland
9. Jim Cornette
10. Mr. Fuji
11. Sunny
12. Paul Heyman
13. Miss Elizabeth
14. Paul Ellering
15. Vickie Guerrero
16. Slick
17. The Million Dollar Man
18. Harvey Wippleman
19. Stephanie McMahon
20. Oliver Humperdink
21. Teddy Long
22. Armando Estrada
23. Michael Hayes
24. Marlena
25. The Genius

The end of the list concludes with the following note: "Bearing in mind that this list was strictly for managers who spent time in WWE (explaining the notable omissions of greats like Gary Hart and J.J. Dillon), did we manage to mess up this Top 25?"

Personally, I don't know why Oliver Humperdink is ranked higher than Armando Estrada.

What do you folks think of the list?

CSL
06-15-2011, 06:55 PM
can't imagine why Oliver Humperdink, manager of Billy Graham, Paul Orndorff, Bruiser Brody, the Freebirds, Bam Bam and god knows how many more was put ahead of Estrada, manager of Umaga

CSL
06-15-2011, 06:58 PM
I think Cornette needs to be higher but I understand them putting him as low as he is, I think Heyman could be higher also, he'd have been 'a legend' if he'd have been born 5-10 years earlier. Not really sure why Lanny Poffo is on there, didn't he manage Mr Perfect for like 6 months and that was it?

Providence Peep
06-15-2011, 06:59 PM
can't imagine why Oliver Humperdink, manager of Billy Graham, Paul Orndorff, Bruiser Brody, the Freebirds, Bam Bam and god knows how many more was put ahead of Estrada, manager of Umaga

I thought the list was strictly for their WWE performance. I think Estrada was more "over" in the E than Oliver Humperdink (RIP) was.

Dave Youell
06-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Generally, that's a decent list.

CSL
06-15-2011, 07:04 PM
I thought the list was strictly for their WWE performance. I think Estrada was more "over" in the E than Oliver Humperdink (RIP) was.

guess it depends if it's the entire body of work of somebody that worked for Vince at one point or just the body of work in WWE. But yeah, what David Youell said.

Dave Youell
06-15-2011, 07:07 PM
But it's alot easier to list good managers.

90% of us would probably pick the same guys but in a different order

Providence Peep
06-15-2011, 07:11 PM
If this were not strictly WWE managers, I'd put Kevin Sullivan and Gary Hart somewhere on the list. "Luscious" Johnny Valiant should be on there, too.

CSL
06-15-2011, 07:14 PM
James Mitchell

CSL
06-15-2011, 07:15 PM
JoJo Dillon

CSL
06-15-2011, 07:17 PM
erm...

CSL
06-15-2011, 07:18 PM
seems they could have just gone with a 'Top 30 in History' and been done with

JimmyMess
06-15-2011, 08:00 PM
seems they could have just gone with a 'Top 30 in History' and been done with

True... but then they might end up leaving WWE guys off the list and putting in just great managers from other promotions, which doesn't do them much good

Joesgonnakillyou
06-15-2011, 08:15 PM
As long as Heenan is at the top, everyone's happy.

Jordan
06-15-2011, 08:43 PM
As long as Heenan is at the top, everyone's happy.
:y:

Nicky Fives
06-15-2011, 09:23 PM
That's probably the best list I've ever seen produced by WWE....I'd like to see Cornette a bit higher..... Cornette was a far better manager than Paul Bearer and managed loads more talent.....but other than that, I can't really complain.....

Seth82
06-15-2011, 09:32 PM
"Luscious" Johnny Valiant should be on there, too.

he was fucking awful

Seth82
06-15-2011, 09:33 PM
Harvey Wippleman as one of the greatest managers???

wow lol yeah don't think so...

Shisen Kopf
06-15-2011, 11:12 PM
Harvey Wippleman managed Giant Gonzales which should automatically qualify him fo da list.

XCaliber
06-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Never even heard of 6 or 8 and Johny Polo should be on this list.

Volare
06-16-2011, 02:29 AM
Harvey Wippleman managed Giant Gonzales which should automatically qualify him fo da list.

He also had Sid Justice.

Seth82
06-16-2011, 10:54 AM
Never even heard of 6 or 8

The Grand Wizard managed Superstar Billy Graham, Don Muraco, Greg Valentine, Pat Patterson, The Sheik, Sgt Slaughter, Stan Stasiak, Jimmy Valiant and many others

http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/pictures/b/billygraham/04.jpg

Arnold Skaaland managed Bruno Sammartino and Bob Backlund

was a fixture in the WWE since the 50's til his death

http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/pictures/a/arnoldscaaland/03.jpg

wwe2222
06-16-2011, 11:42 AM
I think Cornette needs to be higher but I understand them putting him as low as he is, I think Heyman could be higher also, he'd have been 'a legend' if he'd have been born 5-10 years earlier. Not really sure why Lanny Poffo is on there, didn't he manage Mr Perfect for like 6 months and that was it?

He managed the Beverly Brothers to a string of title match losses and jobbing. If it is about making the fans react...I do remember the Genius getting quite the heat for his poems before every match.

Seth82
06-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Vickie Guerrero as one of the greatest managers is a joke too

If this is managers in the entire WWE Universe I'd say where the hell is JJ Dillon, Skandor Akbar, JC Dykes, Gary Hart and Sheik Adnan El-Kaissie

Ermaximus
06-16-2011, 11:58 AM
No Clarence Mason?

CONSPIRACY!!!

CSL
06-16-2011, 12:01 PM
Vickie Guerrero as one of the greatest managers is a joke too

If this is managers in the entire WWE Universe I'd say where the hell is JJ Dillon, Skandor Akbar, JC Dykes, Gary Hart and Sheik Adnan El-Kaissie

The end of the list concludes with the following note: "Bearing in mind that this list was strictly for managers who spent time in WWE (explaining the notable omissions of greats like Gary Hart and J.J. Dillon), did we manage to mess up this Top 25?"

And Vickie is already more relevant/'famous' than Dykes and Sheik, maybe even Skandor.

CSL
06-16-2011, 12:14 PM
fuck, she's probably more famous than all of the ones you listed there but no way does she get put ahead of Dillon or Hart on any list

Seth82
06-16-2011, 12:15 PM
I Stand Corrected...

however Vickie Guerrero is awful IMO

Ermaximus
06-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Seth, look at all the amazing talent Vickie has managed over the years.

Edge
Hawkins and Ryder
Chavo
Bam Neely
LayCool
Eric Escobar
Dolph Ziggler
Tyson Kidd

Feel like I'm missing someone though.

Seth82
06-16-2011, 06:55 PM

Edge
Hawkins and Ryder
Chavo
Bam Neely
LayCool
Eric Escobar
Dolph Ziggler
Tyson Kidd

HA she should no way in hell be higher on the list then Sir Oliver Humperdink

AKin3D
06-17-2011, 04:14 AM
I don't like Vickie so high.
Where should Trish be placed if not top 25?

Phenomenal 1
06-18-2011, 11:31 PM
I don't like Vickie so high.
Where should Trish be placed if not top 25?

She shouldn't be placed on the list. Trash only managed Test and Albert and that's the end of her valet/manager resume. After that she was Mr McMahon's eye candy for a while and then became a top female performer. She doesn't even qualify as a legitimately manager in wrestling history IMO.

BizarroKing
06-19-2011, 12:27 AM

Edge
Hawkins and Ryder
Chavo
Bam Neely
LayCool
Eric Escobar
Dolph Ziggler
Tyson Kidd

Was about to ask when this was but then again considering how many managers Kidd has had I suppose that's no surprise.

Theo Dious
06-19-2011, 12:42 AM
She shouldn't be placed on the list. Trash only managed Test and Albert and that's the end of her valet/manager resume.

So spending time with Jericho, Christian, and Tomko mean nothing?

Phenomenal 1
06-19-2011, 12:55 AM

Being someone's meal ticket aka object of affection doesn't quite classify as managerial duties if you ask me

voncouch
06-19-2011, 03:39 AM
I usually Nerd Rage over every list WWE puts out. You should have seen me with the 50 superstars (Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair don't break the top 20?!?! FUUUUUUUUU!!!!!)

But I'm surprisingly okay with this list. There might be one or two I'd slightly move up or down, but seems pretty good to me.

AKin3D
06-19-2011, 11:33 PM

Add Val Venis and Bubba to that list. I'm sure there was someone else, but I'm too lazy to look.

Being someone's meal ticket aka object of affection doesn't quite classify as managerial duties if you ask me

Just because someone is a "meal ticket" doesn't mean they are not able to be a manager/valet.

Anyway, I'm sure Trish and Sable both are somewhere near #30.

Theo Dious
06-20-2011, 02:33 PM

So Sherri has no business on the list?