PDA

View Full Version : This week's Smackdown! Spoilers (Yes, WWE is not all about Punk - Yet!)

VSG
06-29-2011, 08:43 AM
By Craig Smith from PWI (http://pwinsider.com/article/59416/wwe-smackdown-spoilers-from-phoenix.html?p=1)

Smackdown begins with Christian trying to set up a contract signing for a world title match at MITB ppv. Teddy Long points out Mark Henry, not Christian pinned Orton in last week and Henry gets a match. If Henry wins, he might get the title shot. Obviously Christian is pissed. He's banned from ringside.

Orton versus Henry is up first. Ends with both men outside on the floor with ref counting when Big Show's music hits. No Show to be seen but Henry is distracted. Orton RKO's him at 8 count and gets in ring to win the match. Henry then trashes the sound board and throws the audio technician off the stage.

Daniel Bryan defeated Dibiase with a guillotine choke. Good match as always.

Backstage, Christian and Teddy are back to talking about the contract and Teddy accused Christian of being the one to play the Big Show's music. Teddy sets up the contract signing and a match between Christian and Sin Cara.

Video package on Khali turning on Rajin Singh 5 weeks ago.

Christian defeated Sin Cara in an OK match with the killswitch. Sin Cara hit his entrance. Started out ok but Cara started botching some moves. Had some good acrobatic moves though.

Cody defeated the Intercontinental Champ Ezekiel Jackson when Ted Dibiase interfered. OK match.

Kane defeated Wade Barrett with the chokeslam. Decent match. Kane even did a cross-body.

Contract signing. Christian has lawyer. Both say they are going to win and that they can't beat each other. Orton signs but when Christian goes to sign Sheamus comes out of the crowd and hits the brogue kick on both. He tears up the contract and leaves the ring with Orton and Christian down and out. That's the end of the taping.

Local main event was Orton versus Christian for the championship in a street fight. Good short match. Used the title belt as a weapon. Orton won and posed in ring and walked around ringside taking pictures and signing autographs to send the crowd home happy.

Crowd popped greatest for Orton, Christian, Kane and Sin Cara. 1/3 of upper level tarped off but higher attendance for this show than last time RAW came through.

VSG
06-29-2011, 08:44 AM
Another set:

For the dark match. Derrick Bateman defeated Johnny Curtis in a decent match.

On Superstars, Alicia Fox defeated Kaitlyn in a good a d lengthy match. P>The main event of Superstars saw Trent Baretta and The Usos defeat Heath Slater, Justin Gabriel, and Tyson Kidd. It was a tremendous match with tons of great spots

Once Smackdown started, Christian walked into Teddy Long's office with a contract, stating that since he won the tag team match last week, he's the number one contender. Long corrected him and said Mark Henry got the pin for his team, and if he beats Orton tonight, he'll get to fce him for the title at Money In The Bank.

First match is Randy Orton vs. Mark Henry. Good match with Orton taking a lot of punishment But still fighting hard. Big Show's music plays which gets Henry out of the ring. When Big Show doesn't come out, Orton hits the RKO and Henry is counted out. After regaining consciousness, he goes over to the soundboard and blames the operator for distracting him. He destroys his equipment and throws the operator off a platform.

Next match is Daniel Bryan vs Ted DiBiase. Since the soundboard is destroyed, they don't have entrance music. Another very good match that shows how well these two men know each other. Bryan defeats DiBiase.

Backstage, Cody Rhodes chastises DiBiase for not having won a match since May. He says if he can't stop failing he might as well wear a paper bag.

Christian returns to Long's office stating that since Henry lost, he's he number one contender. Long is suspicious and claims Christian was seen near the production truck when Bug Show's music played. Christian denies it. Long then says Christian has to wrestle Sin Cara.

Sin Cara vs Christian. Match of the night. Sin Cara has greatly adapted to the WWE style and both men were perfectly in tune. After many nearfalls, Christian catches Sin Cara with a spear, and ends his undefeated streak.

Next match is Cody Rhodes vs. Ezekiel Jackson. Pretty decent match that saw Rhodes win when DiBiase distracted Jackson.

Wade Barrett vs. Kane. A good match that saw both opponents move at a fast pace and get equal offense. Kane wins.

Contract signing with Christian and Randy Orton. Christian has a lawyer and states there's a clause in his contract saying that if the referee makes a mistake or he gets screwed over he gets an immediate rematch. Orton says he used to enjoy wrestling Christian, but now he's getting angry. Sheamus barges in, lays both men out, and tears up he contract. The end.

After the show, Long announces a street fight between Christian and Orton. Fairly quick match that saw Orton win. Afterwards he gave high fives, autographs, and pictures at ringside. He talked to some fans two. Classy guy

A great show, and the best I've seen from Smackdown in a long time.

Innovator
06-29-2011, 09:23 AM
Wade Barrett is doomed. Might as well release him.

HBPunk
06-29-2011, 09:26 AM
Christian defeated Sin Cara in an OK match with the killswitch. Sin Cara hit his entrance. Started out ok but Cara started botching some moves. Had some good acrobatic moves though.

Sin Cara vs Christian. Match of the night. Sin Cara has greatly adapted to the WWE style and both men were perfectly in tune. After many nearfalls, Christian catches Sin Cara with a spear, and ends his undefeated streak.

This was the same show right?? Im guessing the second guy had a beer or 5 during the show

Mr. Nerfect
06-29-2011, 09:27 AM
It's interesting to hear the difference of opinions on the Christian vs. Sin Cara match. I'm curious to see it. Quite interesting that Christian ended Sin Cara's undefeated streak. I quite like it, because it's some momentum for the heel #1 Contender, and Sin Cara really didn't need the streak. As X-Pac has said, the dude needs vulnerability to really get over.

Mark Henry is being kept really fucking strong, and again, I am interested. Sheamus seems to have inserted himself in the main event title picture, and we'll probably get a Triple Threat at Money in the Bank, which is good in a way, because it means that Christian can pin Sheamus, or Christian can be out of the decision -- which allows a SummerSlam blow-off of some sort. I think it'll either be that, or a match between Orton and Sheamus next week which sees the winner getting the title shot and the loser having to compete in Money in the Bank -- and if Christian goes into MITB, I think he's almost certain to win it.

Bryan vs. DiBiase sounds great, and DiBiase having great matches is only going to get him back up the card. This relationship with Rhodes, again, is interesting. I'm expecting a feud with Cody Rhodes post-SummerSlam, and I'm looking forward to it. Also, Rhodes seems next in line to challenge Zeke Jackson, and since Big Zeke doesn't really need the IC Title, I'm actually pretty hopeful for a quick title change.

Barrett vs. Kane sounds really interesting. Kane does his best work on SmackDown!, and has also been kept quite strong lately. I don't mind him going over Barrett, who is still finding his SmackDown! feet. It actually feels like a main event quality match, too.

Also, the Superstars match sounds pretty awesome. I've heard good things about the match all over the place.

TNA&USA#1
06-29-2011, 09:30 AM
I hate Christian using the spear. The guy is 200 lbs soaking wet. I'm not buying that he can knock a guy out for a 3 count by tackling his midsection.

VSG
06-29-2011, 09:33 AM
The second guy was a genuine fan, the 1st was one of us- over analyzing stuff, looking for mistakes rather than enjoying the show.

TNA&USA#1
06-29-2011, 09:37 AM
I really don't think you have to look too in depth to find mistakes in a Sin Cara match. The guy is sloppy.

HBPunk
06-29-2011, 10:15 AM
I think Sin Cara is just used to a very different style and he will take time. The non IWC fan wont spot most of his mistakes either

Ermaximus
06-29-2011, 10:20 AM
I hate Christian using the spear. The guy is 200 lbs soaking wet. I'm not buying that he can knock a guy out for a 3 count by tackling his midsection.

If Sin Cara can beat someone with a fucking huricanrana, why can't Christian win with the spear?

HBPunk
06-29-2011, 10:23 AM
Alex Riley wins with a fucking DDT

HBPunk
06-29-2011, 10:23 AM
How bland have finishers become in the last 5 years?

VSG
06-29-2011, 10:27 AM
So you prefer that top rope finisher of Sin Cara's?

Ermaximus
06-29-2011, 10:27 AM
Pretty bland HBPunk, pretty bland indeed.

Ermaximus
06-29-2011, 10:28 AM
So you prefer that top rope finisher of Sin Cara's?

No, I'm saying that if a guy can win a match with a Huracanrana, I don't see why a little guy can't win with a Spear. I mean, sure it looks funny and It'd probably never work on the likes of Mark Henry or Big Show, but there is still no reason to say he can't use it. It's a more legit finisher than what Cara does.

Droford
06-29-2011, 10:32 AM
How long til Sin Cara gets the WCW Rey Mysterio treatment and they take his mask off?

Then they call him Chili Con Cara.

Ermaximus
06-29-2011, 10:35 AM
In all honesty, Rey shouldn't even be wearing a mask since he lost his to Nash in WCW. Then again, it is the WWE and they know kids will spend money on his masks so, I guess I understand the marketing there.

HBPunk
06-29-2011, 10:44 AM
Did Alberto Del Rio wear a mask in Mexico? I reckon most guys would rather wrestle without a mask cos it can only be detrimental to their performance in the ring. Remember Rey vs Eddie at Mania when he was constantly adjusting his mask throughout the match?

VSG
06-29-2011, 10:46 AM
Ya Del Rio wore a mask in Mexico and Japan.

Juan
06-29-2011, 10:48 AM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfvd3c1JPs1qepzpio1_400.jpg

HBPunk
06-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Such a shame to cover those handsome features, tut tut. And was Ricardo Rodriguez anywhere nearby or was he just randomly stuck with Del Rio in WWE?

Juan
06-29-2011, 10:57 AM
Rodriguez was just a guy they signed from Chikara and paired with Del Rio.

Here he is wrestling as the masked wrestler Chimaera

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/VP6-ySQ0zvE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

HBPunk
06-29-2011, 11:03 AM
That was pretty good, Cloudy kinda looks like Brian Kendrick. Ricardo was better with the mask on considering what kinda face he had waiting underneath

Rammsteinmad
06-29-2011, 12:55 PM
I hate reading spoilers and then reading the persons review of the match... it always gives me expectations...

Especially 'Tom' or whoever always does Raw results... always puts his 'expert opinion' after the match and it's some shit like 'C+ match... don't understand why so-and-so was in it, match was ok...' I watch it and I think the match was great! And the reason 'so-and-so' was in it was because a heel vs. heel match doesn't work!!! (referring to the Punk/Del Rio/Mysterio triple threat).

XL
06-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Never understood this. Edge is barely any biger than Christian yet he got away with it? And people say Xtian is "too small" despite being the same size as mutli-time World Champs.
Did Alberto Del Rio wear a mask in Mexico? I reckon most guys would rather wrestle without a mask cos it can only be detrimental to their performance in the ring. Remember Rey vs Eddie at Mania when he was constantly adjusting his mask throughout the match?
I read on here that WWE had to convince him not to wear the mask, he was pretty adamant that he wanted to.

Rammsteinmad
06-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Pretty sure Mick Foley said in his first book too that he originally hated his mask because it got in his way, restricted his breathing etc.

GD
06-29-2011, 01:10 PM
THE STREAK HAS ENDED!

HBPunk
06-29-2011, 01:16 PM
What?!

DAMN iNATOR
06-29-2011, 02:01 PM
THE STREAK HAS ENDED!

What?!

He meant Sin Cara's undefeated streak that he had going in WWE.

HBPunk
06-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Oh, didnt realise that was such a big issue? Waltman said he should be more vulnerable, so there we go

DAMN iNATOR
06-29-2011, 02:14 PM
It wasn't really, but they did mention it quite a bit during his matches on RAW and SmackDown! ever since he debuted.

CSL
06-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Never understood this. Edge is barely any biger than Christian yet he got away with it? And people say Xtian is "too small" despite being the same size as mutli-time World Champs.

He definitely is. Not to mention about 3-4 inches taller. And which multi-time champs are the same size as Christian? He's one of the smallest guys, if not the smallest guy on the roster mass-wise.

HBPunk
06-29-2011, 02:22 PM
CM Punk is about the same as Christian, height and weight. He's a 3 time champ

CSL
06-29-2011, 02:29 PM
I did start editing that message as soon as I'd posted it saying the same thing is one of the few negatives about Punk and he appears to be smaller than ever over the last few months but I didn't want this to become a discussion about that. His size is probably one of the reasons those reigns combined amounted to about 3 months however. With everything else he has going for him, he'd probably be unstoppable if he put a bit more effort into his body.

Testicle
06-29-2011, 02:33 PM
If you can't have a 'good' match with X-tain you fucking suck. GET THE FUCK OUT SIN CARA!

Jura
06-29-2011, 02:35 PM
So the SD divas have been demoted to Superstars again.

TNA&USA#1
06-29-2011, 03:20 PM
Punk knees people in the face. You don't need to be huge to make that look effective. But tackling someone is a lot different than kneeing someone in the face.

HBPunk
06-29-2011, 03:29 PM
Punk knees people in the face. You don't need to be huge to make that look effective. But tackling someone is a lot different than kneeing someone in the face.

Fair enough he knees people in the face but he puts those people up on his shoulders beforehand so its still a difficult move. All Christian is doing is running fast at someone and if the guy sells well it works

GD
06-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Christian needs a wardrobe change or a new hairstyle.

HBPunk
06-29-2011, 03:52 PM
A change back to his old theme song too. The same song but the old version with the female vocals was far far better. Bring back all the stuff he had in summer 2005 and he'l be sorted

VSG
06-29-2011, 04:55 PM
Ya that female vocal theme is good and all but c'mon now:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2nqeRKgV-SU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

St. Jimmy
06-29-2011, 05:47 PM
Needs more CM Punk.

Mr. Nerfect
06-29-2011, 05:48 PM
It wouldn't really make sense for Christian to go back to those, though. His theme should either stay the same, or he should get a new one down the track.

XL
06-29-2011, 11:57 PM
He definitely is. Not to mention about 3-4 inches taller. And which multi-time champs are the same size as Christian? He's one of the smallest guys, if not the smallest guy on the roster mass-wise.
K, you got me on Edge but howabout...

Xtian: 6'2" / 227 lb
Punk: 6'1" / 222 lb<sup id="cite_ref-wwebio_0-2" class="reference"></sup>
Miz: 6'1" / 231 lb
HBK: 6' 1" / 225 lb
Rey: 5' 6" / 175 lb

If we're strictly talking mass then, yeah, I guess Christian lacks a little build if you compare his weight to others that are shorter than him.

But this is a discussion about him using the Spear. I'd wager that a guy his size hitting someone a few inches taller/10 - 20lbs heavier in the gut/sternum with his shoulder would hurt.

Moreso, he did it on Sin Cara who is half a foot shorter and 52lbs lighter than he is.

CSL
06-30-2011, 12:06 AM
Christian is simply billed at 227, probably from his first run. He is nowhere near that now. Looking at him, he's in great shape athletically but that's about it. I can't think off the top of my head of anybody with less muscle mass on their body currently employed as an on-screen, in-ring performer for WWE. I'd be surprised if he cracks 200. As for the spear discussion (which I didn't see/read), it's professional wrestling, if he does it well/it's taken well/looks good, he can use it on anybody. He should probably even build it a bit, the move is over via it's relation to Edge, he could get a nice amount of heat out of it.

XL
06-30-2011, 12:14 AM
How many of the guys actually match their billed stats? (I'm not saying they don't, merely asking how close they are)

Dunno about anybody else, but when I saw Chrisitan next to Edge I didn't SEE all that much difference.

GD
06-30-2011, 12:18 AM
http://www.wwe.com/f/reign/image/2005/06/493394.jpg?1298296887

http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/pictures/e/enc/11.jpg

http://www.canoe.ca/WrestlingImagesE/edgechristian.jpg

http://www.canoe.ca/WrestlingImagesE/edge_christian_16jun01.jpg

Yeah.

CSL
06-30-2011, 12:26 AM
I'd guess just about all of the WWE-presented stats are kayfabed for both height and weight but you see enough guys in spandex and not much else over the period of your life and it's not too hard to guess roughly where somebody is tipping the scales. Of everybody you listed there, I'd say not many of them are off by more than 5-10lbs outside of Christian and possibly HBK, maybe Punk as of the last 6 months. It goes both ways also, at one point (don't specifically remember when) Big Show was still being billed at 440lbs or 470lbs or something and he'd clearly long ballooned over that weight at the time.

MIZantine Empire
06-30-2011, 02:10 AM
packed house, pretty good showing. i was 2 rows from the entrance ramp, was awesome. IWC would have went nuts and busted thru their pants, a total of 4 daniel bryan appearances. Sin Cara and Orton got hands down the biggest pops of the night. there was this smoking hot blonde chick with big boobs behind me, who kept screaming for titus young..it was when she first did that i realized i could never satisfy her. lol. natalya is way sexy in person, as is alicia fox and aj. one of the funnier moments was after tret barretta getting squashed by jinder, they cut to a sheamus promo backstage, which cut out and alicia fox's music hit, trent barretta locked at our section and went "WTF?" was also in a section with two kids, who had to have been no older then 7, but knew so much about old school wrestling..it was refreshing. my fav is when i yelled "i love you maryse" and she pointed to me..made my year, lol...all in all was good start to finish, crowd was fun and it was enjoyable

MIZantine Empire
06-30-2011, 02:13 AM
one thing i forgot, which was kind of cool i thought, one person had a Justin Gabriel sign, and when him and Heath Slater came out Gabriel saw the sign right away and like slapped Slater on the arm and pointed to it.

chrisat928
06-30-2011, 02:22 AM
It took me like a minute of looking at your sig to understand what I was seeing.

Juan
06-30-2011, 04:54 AM
Who merged this? These are next weeks spoilers

XL
06-30-2011, 05:21 AM
http://www.wwe.com/f/reign/image/2005/06/493394.jpg?1298296887

http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/pictures/e/enc/11.jpg

http://www.canoe.ca/WrestlingImagesE/edgechristian.jpg

http://www.canoe.ca/WrestlingImagesE/edge_christian_16jun01.jpg

Yeah.
We're talking about mass, not height. And those pics are from 10 years ago!

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oVim4XBexPc?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oVim4XBexPc?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

I don't see a MASSIVE difference between the two body types. Maybe I can't look at a guy and know his stats just by sight.

XL
06-30-2011, 05:21 AM
Also, who is Titus Young?

GD
06-30-2011, 07:10 AM
We're talking about mass, not height. And those pics are from 10 years ago!

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oVim4XBexPc?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oVim4XBexPc?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

I don't see a MASSIVE difference between the two body types. Maybe I can't look at a guy and know his stats just by sight.

Christian weighs a few extra pounds than the 220 lbs weight limit. He also won the WWF Lightweight Championship on his debut which signifies the fact that he was a cruiserweight / lightweight back then.

Edge on the other hand has weighed 235 plus (approx) throughout his career in the WWE.

Since the difference isn't that significant, I will give you the benefit of the doubt.

XL
06-30-2011, 07:22 AM
Thanks for that Munda.

We've already gone past the "billed weights" thing - which would allow Christian to compete in the Lightweight Division regardless of his actual weight.

I'm talking by sight alone. I don't see a difference between the two when comparing muscularity/body mass. In that video both guys are toned not particularly muscular. They appear similar in weight.

MIZantine Empire
06-30-2011, 11:30 AM
Also, who is Titus Young?
i might have gotten his name wrong..he is an nxt rookie, and he looks like bobby lashley in size, and well in color

VSG
06-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Titus O'Neil??

MIZantine Empire
06-30-2011, 04:23 PM
Titus O'Neil??
ya thats him, i was trying to remember his name, and remembered he played football..for some reason titus young popped into my head, who played at boise. either way im an idiot

Londoner
07-01-2011, 06:21 PM
ahahahaha@there being no music for the wrestlers

Mr. Nerfect
07-01-2011, 10:57 PM
It was just for Daniel Bryan and Ted DiBiase's entrances.

Volare
07-01-2011, 11:30 PM
So does this mean TPWW Survivor is over?

Flash Funk
07-02-2011, 01:54 AM
The only was tonights show could have been better would have been for Christian to have been represented by.... Clarence Mason.

Londoner
07-02-2011, 05:48 AM
Watching the end of Smackdown now, lol@ Cole taking the piss out of Long saying Orton is the 'current'and 'reigning' heavyweight champion.

DaVe
07-02-2011, 06:03 AM
mark henry is on fire atm

and continuing on the christian discussion, he looks absolutely tiny for a wrestler. even though hes legit over 6 feet tall, prolly the height of steve austin, he looks real short and has pencil arms and legs, a 123-kid-type build. He's lost a tonne of weight - like most of the wrestlers - since 2001. Maybe he has a good look for a model, but not a world champion.

Edge on the other hand looks, and legit is, damn tall. He'd lost a little bit of weight over the years, and then a lot of muscle after his injury.

edit:

a few other things since I've remembered them. michaels said he was '200 lbs maybe' in a promo in his feud with Batista years back, while calling Batista 280 lbs which sounds about right.

Edge: 230 lbs
Christian: 190 lbs
Rey: 160 lbs, probably even 150 because he is absolutely tiny
Michaels: 200 lbs, 215 15 years ago
Batista: 280, legit 318 and 330 earlier in his career
Taker: 270 lbs these days; 295 four years ago; 330 lbs 1999

all for the same reason as what CSL said earlier

XL
07-02-2011, 12:29 PM
They really push this "Bare Knuckle Champion" thing for Barrett don't they? Just seems odd to me that they do that given that 1) it's not true and 2) it has nothing to do with his gimmick/style.

XL
07-02-2011, 01:22 PM
Watching the end of Smackdown now, lol@ Cole taking the piss out of Long saying Orton is the 'current'and 'reigning' heavyweight champion.
I didn't get that. I've heard that phrase used a lot over the years.

In fact, the constant bickering about what each other is saying is getting annoying.

The Naitch
07-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Christian needs a wardrobe change or a new hairstyle.

Why did he stop wearing this? He looked awesome here

http://m.s11.pollpigeon.com/media/answer_images/fc/fc6dd2a5a9a52bc96ca9ccad19c5c470_jpg_350x500_q85.jpg

XL
07-02-2011, 01:35 PM
RUMOUR has it that they are seen as a "TNA thing" now (despite the fact he wore them in WWE first).

The Naitch
07-02-2011, 01:36 PM
oh noes!