PDA

View Full Version : That Heyman Guy...

Vastardikai
07-26-2011, 09:11 PM
I wanted to talk about that one famous Heyman Guy, who Paul was huge on and wanted to make a huge star out of. He was a big deal in the indies, and everyone who ever actually wrestled him considered him the next big star.

His only problem was that most of the big wigs DIDN'T get him. They didn't think someone who had his look could draw. His career suffered a bit, despite his incredible promo ability and his matches. His early run under Vince was hampered because he wasn't one of "their creations." Creative didn't have anything for him until he made himself a big name on his own terms. But he didn't truly "Catch Fire" until he was given a shot due to someone else screwing up. He would go on to be one of the biggest deals in the business.

Of course, you all know which Heyman Guy I'm talking about, right?

loopydate
07-26-2011, 09:15 PM
Steve Austin

Vastardikai
07-26-2011, 09:18 PM
Funny how sometimes history repeats itself though, no?

Xero
07-26-2011, 09:20 PM
Who screwed up? Michaels? Bret?

Vastardikai
07-26-2011, 09:23 PM
Hunter Hearst Helmsley was supposed to win that King of the Ring, but was punished due to the Kliq Curtain Call. They person who was given the shot in his place was Steve Austin. And that win led to the infamous "Austin 3:16" promo.

loopydate
07-26-2011, 09:24 PM
HHH was supposed to win KotR96. Then the Curtain Call happened.

Xero
07-26-2011, 09:25 PM
Oh, okay, yeah.

Lock Jaw
07-26-2011, 09:41 PM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TCXVxzp5Lp0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Go to 2:00

JimmyMess
07-26-2011, 10:06 PM
what a strange coincidence, "Cult of Personality" is the song...

Vastardikai
07-26-2011, 10:19 PM
That's the main point of the thread: I was talking about Austin, but I could have easily been talking about someone else.

BollywoodSingh
07-26-2011, 10:48 PM
If you're implying that your original post could also apply to CM Punk, how did he get his shot because someone else screwed up? Are you referring to Jeff Hardy getting suspended before Wrestlemania 24, and CM Punk winning the Money in the Bank match instead?

Vastardikai
07-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Yes. He has actually benefited on more than one occasion due to Wellness-Related issues.

Tom Guycott
07-27-2011, 01:38 AM
I remember when that CM Punk guy started. He was one that was "too small to last in WWE", and was widely hailed as "some overrated indy guy who will be released soon".

Basically, everything everyone is saying about Danielson now.

Yeah, D.Bryan isn't a Heyman guy, but I just wanted to point that out in case he actually gets a legit run as a champion one day (as opposed to a "thanks for playing along, here's a belt!). Much like Punk now, Danielson will be the recipiant of a TPWW wankfest thrown by most of the people who hate on him now.

I also want an invite to that circle jerk when it happens. :kiss:

Tom Guycott
07-27-2011, 01:45 AM
Also, I remember some other Heyman guy who ended up with a reputation as an injury prone botch machine. That guy became <s>TNA</s> Impact Wrestling champion. More than once.

Can't remember his name though, because he had to change it.

Shadrick
07-27-2011, 06:11 AM
In all fairness, Kennedy fucked his shit up. He definitely had "it" and dropped the ball, and you can tell when you watch his shoot interviews that he kinda realizes it.

Tazz Dan
07-27-2011, 06:27 AM
Orton screwed Kennedy.

Shadrick
07-27-2011, 06:29 AM
Orton did a lot of the proverbial screwing. But Kennedy "not wanting to kiss Vinces ass" when Vince asked him to be closer to him and travel with him didn't help. Nor did his suspension for the Wellness Policy.

In business in general, a lot of people misconstrue being "likable" or building a good relationship with your boss(es) as "kissing ass" and Kennedy was one of these guys.

Mr. Nerfect
07-27-2011, 10:56 AM
To be fair, Kennedy could have been hot and the WWE lost their shit with him; but if he didn't piss off enough people, there is no way he'd have been released out of the blue like he was.

Kane Knight
07-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Orton did a lot of the proverbial screwing. But Kennedy "not wanting to kiss Vinces ass" when Vince asked him to be closer to him and travel with him didn't help. Nor did his suspension for the Wellness Policy.

In business in general, a lot of people misconstrue being "likable" or building a good relationship with your boss(es) as "kissing ass" and Kennedy was one of these guys.

To be fair, being a dick is normally viewed as a good thing in wrestling. Kennedy was just trying to fit in.

Lock Jaw
07-27-2011, 01:18 PM
I remember when that CM Punk guy started. He was one that was "too small to last in WWE", and was widely hailed as "some overrated indy guy who will be released soon".

Basically, everything everyone is saying about Danielson now.

Yeah, D.Bryan isn't a Heyman guy, but I just wanted to point that out in case he actually gets a legit run as a champion one day (as opposed to a "thanks for playing along, here's a belt!). Much like Punk now, Danielson will be the recipiant of a TPWW wankfest thrown by most of the people who hate on him now.

I also want an invite to that circle jerk when it happens. :kiss:

When Punk first came to the WWE he bored me to death as a face. I didn't think he was going to be released soon but I did think he was "some overrated indy guy". Only when he turned heel did I get into him.

Aguakate
07-27-2011, 01:37 PM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TCXVxzp5Lp0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Go to 2:00

Ok, I've come to a conclusion...PUNK IS GOING TO WRESTLE AUSTIN AT SOME POINT. FUCK THIS SHIT!

:D