PDA

View Full Version : has Santino run his course? (to the non 5 year old wrestling fan)

Rollermacka
08-03-2011, 01:08 PM
To an adult wrestling fan, do you think that Santino has run his course (he's just become childish comedic relief) or do you still find his antics funny? I liked him with Vladimir, he made Vlady a lot more tolerable, but now that he teamhas split I think he's just completely used as a comedic filler that appeals to WWEs child demographic

Anybody Thrilla
08-03-2011, 01:13 PM
I think he serves a purpose. He's essentially like a more legit Hornswoggle. I really liked him during that Sheamus/Morrison feud where Morrison kept saving him from ass beatings. If they give him something meaningful to do, he's fine. He just needs some direction for his comedy.

captaincharismark
08-03-2011, 01:14 PM
I think Santino's comedy routine has long ago ran it's course. The fans love it, but it's limiting any potential the guy has. We'll never get to see if he can do any great things in WWE if he's stuck as the running joke of WWE.

I actually went to a live WWE event in Memphis a few years ago, and Santino looked burned out and running through the motions of his gimmick. Apparently, even he's tired of it as well. He wasn't even smiling at times in the ring and on the ramp. And with good reason, since he was the appointed ref in a divas tag match...

Anybody Thrilla
08-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Maybe he wasn't smiling because he takes his role as a referee in a monumental divas tag confrontation very seriously...as he should.

whiteyford
08-03-2011, 01:28 PM
It gives him an identity if nothing else. He doesn't make me want to change the channel, his comedy stuffs usually quite short and he's decent enough in the ring.

Anybody Thrilla
08-03-2011, 01:29 PM
Seriously though, I really think that Santino can still be entertaining if he has an actual storyline. Making fun of Steve Austin...The Honk-o-meter...feuding with Lawler...Santina, to an extent...when he actually has something to DO, I think he's quite funny.

I could definitely see him being bored and burnt out now though, seeing as to how he's had nothing relevant to do for quite some time.

Hanso Amore
08-03-2011, 01:53 PM
WHen did the Mr Socko Cobra start?

#BROKEN Hasney
08-03-2011, 01:56 PM
Not even in the slightest.

Gertner
08-03-2011, 02:59 PM
The Cobra thing I believe started last week on Superstars in his tag match with Masters against Nexus.

Santino's hilarious, and there will always be a place for a comedy guy in the WWE. I'm actually excited to see some promos with Ryder if they stay together. They have the potential to provide some funny stuff. Hell, Santino is "Italian" and Ryder's whole Jersey Shore type gimmick is tailor made for Santino to be funny.

JimmyMess
08-03-2011, 03:07 PM
Not a bad stereotype for a Mississaugaian!

Sepholio
08-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Heel Santino would be funny right about now; have him still trying to be funny but in a giant douchebag sort of way instead.

CSL
08-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Apparently, even he's tired of it as well.

according to?

DLVH84
08-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Time to get serious.

Anybody Thrilla
08-03-2011, 03:25 PM
No, that won't help.

Kal-El
08-03-2011, 03:26 PM
I think Santino was at his best when he was the IC champ. Trying to be "The greatest IC champion of all the times"!

CSL
08-03-2011, 03:29 PM
his performance in the match with Ryder when they went over Otunga/McGillicutty on Superstars is probably the funniest thing I've seen over the last month or two in terms of "current" wrestling

Nicky Fives
08-03-2011, 03:39 PM
I got nothing against him..... throw him a few wins here and there to keep him legit and I'll have no problems.....

JKWJRMON
08-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Bring back the Cruiserweight Division or Lightweight Division, and have him champ.

Rammsteinmad
08-03-2011, 04:32 PM
His feud with Sheamus was awesome! Especially this:

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UZ2ib9wHCTA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gertner
08-03-2011, 05:05 PM
his performance in the match with Ryder when they went over Otunga/McGillicutty on Superstars is probably the funniest thing I've seen over the last month or two in terms of "current" wrestling

His first match with Ryder on Superstars was mint as well.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aA-0fnDC8yA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Aguakate
08-03-2011, 05:06 PM
Santino's character ran his course about a year and a half ago, or so.

Kane Knight
08-03-2011, 05:27 PM
To an adult wrestling fan, do you think that Santino has run his course (he's just become childish comedic relief) or do you still find his antics funny? I liked him with Vladimir, he made Vlady a lot more tolerable, but now that he teamhas split I think he's just completely used as a comedic filler that appeals to WWEs child demographic

I don't know what you're talking about. I think his third rate impression of a third rate Jay Leno segment is BRILLIANT! Always has been, and always will be.

...I don't think his antics have changed. Maybe just your perception of them.

Majunior
08-03-2011, 09:49 PM
I love Santino.

I do agree, however, he's at his best when he has a purpose.

XCaliber
08-03-2011, 10:50 PM
I don't think his act has gotten stale at all but he just needs to find the right peeps to feud as a singles wrestler rather than doing all this tagging he's been doing as of late.

Dante69
08-03-2011, 11:00 PM
Future Endeavor him already........damn

Shisen Kopf
08-04-2011, 01:41 AM
Santino is a moron. Get rid of him, he's bad for rasslin

captaincharismark
08-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Maybe he wasn't smiling because he takes his role as a referee in a monumental divas tag confrontation very seriously...as he should.

It was more a case of him smiling at times and others looking as if he didn't wanna be there. He obviously was staring at the divas, but other than that did seem too happy. Not that I can blame him, but live it would be hard not to notice his complacentness.

I imagine being a joke for your entire career starts to wear on you after a while. After a certain point, WWE should change his character and allow him to be serious. Now is that time IMO, as his routine has been stale for some time...

captaincharismark
08-04-2011, 01:58 PM
according to?

According to what I saw live at a RAW taping in Memphis(stay up with me here:) Hard not to notice his mannerisms and overall demeanor. Doesn't exactly take a rocket scientist to put two and two together. If he looked unhappy and tired of his routine, chances are that's how he feels. Just my opinion from reading his expressions...

Anybody Thrilla
08-04-2011, 02:58 PM
It was more a case of him smiling at times and others looking as if he didn't wanna be there. He obviously was staring at the divas, but other than that did seem too happy. Not that I can blame him, but live it would be hard not to notice his complacentness.

I imagine being a joke for your entire career starts to wear on you after a while. After a certain point, WWE should change his character and allow him to be serious. Now is that time IMO, as his routine has been stale for some time...

You couldn't have imagined I was being serious with that statement, right?

Gertner
08-04-2011, 04:41 PM
Santino being serious = "yawn"

RiX1024
08-04-2011, 06:10 PM
not as funny as Colt Cabana.

SlickyTrickyDamon
08-05-2011, 01:51 AM
It all depends on what the writers write for him. They aren't funny so how can Santino be?

captaincharismark
08-05-2011, 03:19 AM
You couldn't have imagined I was being serious with that statement, right?

You being sarcastic??? Never saw it coming.

Evil Vito
08-06-2011, 11:22 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Santino is still hilarious...although admittedly the "golden years" were when he was a heel, particularly the Maria interaction. I never thought he had that in him when he was a completely bland babyface during the first 3 or so months that he was on TV.

Come to think...if you don't count Lawler (semi-active) or Cena (who technically got moved to SD for an hour) - Santino is the most tenured member of the Raw roster. Kinda funny to think about.</font>

MoFo
08-06-2011, 11:59 AM
^^^ I agree, he was great w/ Maria & Beth, he plays off the divas really well, maybe he should have another valet/love interest.

Side note - Santino & Goldust in a Billy/Chuck bromance would be the best thing ever.

Rollermacka
08-06-2011, 09:38 PM
Side note - Santino & Goldust in a Billy/Chuck bromance would be the best thing ever.

I don't know, I don't really care for "man love" in wrestling right now. It could never be as good as Booker T and Goldie. I would actually lik to see Goldust in a serious heel run. Not a 15 minute one when he was with Coach, maybe he could come up with something that's diffrent but still "Goldust"

not as funny as Colt Cabana.

Jeez, I'm already tired of Colt Cabana and he's not even signed to a major promotion yet :-\

Anybody Thrilla
08-07-2011, 02:08 PM
He wrestled a dark match on Smackdown.

Swiss Ultimate
08-07-2011, 02:43 PM
Santino is the next world champion of TNA.

XL
08-07-2011, 02:43 PM
This one is easy. How do you solve a problem like Santino?

He should turn heel/join Punk's stable.

captaincharismark
08-07-2011, 02:56 PM
This one is easy. How do you solve a problem like Santino?

He should turn heel/join Punk's stable.

Which has been due for 3-4 years now. Him turning heel seriously should've happened once the Cobra lost him several matches. WWE seems hesistant to use him as anything other than a joke. It's a shame too, cause we'll never know if he could be a better character with a badass attitude...

Pintint
08-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Thee Cobra is the perfect way to make him into a new character. Have a heel beat him up really bad and tell him he's a joke. Next have a couple of weeks of Santino off TV and the Heel suddenly gets attacked by a random person backstage. That random person turns out to be Santino, but in a completely different persona. You can have Santino rename himself as "Cold Blood" and have him viciously attack and beat up stars backstage, capitalizing on his wrestling/fighting skills.

SlickyTrickyDamon
08-07-2011, 03:20 PM
Has "Matthew" infiltrated TPWW?

Anybody Thrilla
08-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Thee Cobra is the perfect way to make him into a new character. Have a heel beat him up really bad and tell him he's a joke. Next have a couple of weeks of Santino off TV and the Heel suddenly gets attacked by a random person backstage. That random person turns out to be Santino, but in a completely different persona. You can have Santino rename himself as "Cold Blood" and have him viciously attack and beat up stars backstage, capitalizing on his wrestling/fighting skills.

You're gonna go far, kid.

Anybody Thrilla
08-07-2011, 03:58 PM
Far away from these boards, preferably.

CSL
08-07-2011, 04:55 PM
http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr160/fishbulb-suplex/Wrestlers/Santino%20Marella/Santino_Marella_-_Anthony_Carelli_1.jpg
COLD BLOOD

Pintint
08-07-2011, 05:44 PM
http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr160/fishbulb-suplex/Wrestlers/Santino%20Marella/Santino_Marella_-_Anthony_Carelli_1.jpg

COLD BLOOD

See, it works. If you make it as a serious gimmick.
Also why doesnt he have hair under his armpits?
Shaving there sounds...complicated.

CSL
08-07-2011, 07:21 PM
god bless you Pintint :'(

and some will tell you it's a hygiene thing, some say armpit hair can "get in the way" of certain things, from shitarse shows in front of 30 people to Kurt Angle, just about everybody in wrestling does it although most probably couldn't tell you definitively why. And it's not that complicated :o

XL
08-08-2011, 02:18 AM
Whatever the reason, mases of armpit hair is just not pleasing to the eye.

XL
08-08-2011, 02:19 AM
Which has been due for 3-4 years now. Him turning heel seriously should've happened once the Cobra lost him several matches. WWE seems hesistant to use him as anything other than a joke. It's a shame too, cause we'll never know if he could be a better character with a badass attitude...
My Post.
Your head.

Taker it Easy
08-08-2011, 09:25 AM
I liked Santino as a serious wrestler, his mma influence was refreshing. It took me awhile to warm up to him after his debut and of course once I did warm up to him, that is when WWE decided to alter his gimmick. :naughty:

He was funny for awhile but that got stale and old, he bame the divas guy which was fitting because he was not that entertaining at the time. :shifty:

Santino and Vlad were an enjoyable tag team. They seemed to help each other out or advance each other in ways that neither could achieve via singles matches at that time.

I'm open to him doing good stuff in the future but right now I don't expect much from him. Hopefully creative will reconsider their point of view on him.

P.S. Santino should be a new Savio Vega.

XL
08-08-2011, 10:20 AM
Yes, because the original Savio was so successful, right?

Innovator
08-08-2011, 10:25 AM
If you speak ill of Savio Vega, we're gonna have problems.

XL
08-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Well he was no Rock/Austin [/captaincharismark]

Innovator
08-08-2011, 10:41 AM
My head already hurts with that logic.

captaincharismark
08-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Well he was no Rock/Austin [/captaincharismark]

You keep bringing that up, but I've never mentioned it here. Funny how you have to attempt to make a lame joke rather than stay on topic. Yet I'm the one trolling:roll:

CSL
08-08-2011, 01:13 PM
I don't think anybody thinks your trolling, just a bit ridiculous

DAMN iNATOR
08-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Santino's still good comic relief, plus we all know he can go in the ring. Everybody in here bitching about him needs to lighten up a bit. Plus, ya gotta love how a move as weak-looking as the Cobra has won so many matches for him.

XL
08-08-2011, 02:23 PM
You keep bringing that up, but I've never mentioned it here. Funny how you have to attempt to make a lame joke rather than stay on topic. Yet I'm the one trolling:roll:

Rammsteinmad
08-08-2011, 02:27 PM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M_Pt5Zo4ycE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Randy Orton has said before that Santino is the funniest guy he has ever travelled with. So at least we can be safe with the knowledge that Santino will always have a job. :D

Lock Jaw
08-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Turn him <s>heel</s> Russian

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wZMrOV22rRc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

captaincharismark
08-08-2011, 03:29 PM

Anymore ridiculous than XL??? That's setting the bar awfully high...

Mr. Nerfect
08-10-2011, 05:54 AM
Santino Marella has a safe job on the roster that could make him important to the company via merchandise sales, and people want to risk that? Now, I have all been for moving Marella up the card in the past, and I am still not against it -- but why can't it be with his current shtick?

I really want to see a feud between Marella and a super-serious heel with some mid-card weight. How about Jack Swagger or Drew McIntyre? Let's go Drew McIntyre, and rekindle the McIntyre/Kelly Kelly angle, with Marella also going after Kelly. McIntyre informs Marella that he plans to destroy him, and you get clips of Marella (hilariously) preparing for this match. McIntyre can win a surprisingly competitive match (and that's all you need to build Marella -- give him a little more each time), and then after the match, Kelly Kelly protects Marella from a McIntyre beat-down. Drew is all "What are you doing, Kelly?" and Marella pulls himself up behind McIntyre and takes him out with The Cobra, before making out with Kelly. McIntyre gets the win, but Santino gets the girl.