PDA

View Full Version : Bring back King of the Ring

King Jericho
04-30-2004, 09:02 PM
In my opinion I think the WWE should bring back the King of the Ring and heres why:

With the exclusive brand PPV's, the WWE had to drop a KOTR to make it even up for both brands, but i say they should bring it back, if not in place of a minor PPV, then in place of one of the 'big 4'. Obviously you can't drop Mania, The Rumble or Summer Slam, so it would have to be Surviour Series.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Survivour Series type matches, but because they don't really use the SS style match ups as much as they used to, why not drop it instead of KOTR? Because the KOTR could (usually) be used to advance a Career and make people (i.e Austin, HHH, Edge).

If they did bring back KOTR, i think they should have it in November like Survivour Series.... :y:

Thoughts?

Doink
04-30-2004, 09:08 PM
king of the ring was good but it started to get a bit tidious !

lawler = king cant beat that!

jr: bahgawd hes right!

Ricky
04-30-2004, 09:10 PM
Isn't it meant to be comming back as one of the 2 new PPV's they are doing?

King Jericho
04-30-2004, 09:21 PM
Isn't it meant to be comming back as one of the 2 new PPV's they are doing?

Might be, haven't heard this tho

Savio
04-30-2004, 11:49 PM
In my opinion I think the WWE should bring back the King of the Ring and heres why:

With the exclusive brand PPV's, the WWE had to drop a KOTR to make it even up for both brands, but i say they should bring it back, if not in place of a minor PPV, then in place of one of the 'big 4'. Obviously you can't drop Mania, The Rumble or Summer Slam, so it would have to be Surviour Series.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Survivour Series type matches, but because they don't really use the SS style match ups as much as they used to, why not drop it instead of KOTR? Because the KOTR could (usually) be used to advance a Career and make people (i.e Austin, HHH, Edge).

If they did bring back KOTR, i think they should have it in November like Survivour Series.... :y:

Thoughts?

You forgot Billy Gunn!

Wondermouse
05-01-2004, 12:08 AM
Mabel!

The CyNick
05-01-2004, 12:12 AM
Here's what I would do:

Have each brand run their own version of the KOTR in the summer, then at KOTR have the RAW winner face the SD winner to crown the overall King of the Ring.

I think for Survivor Series they should bring back War Games. I would actually like to see them use two rings (which would be cool because you could have a SD ring and a RAW ring) and have a 4 on 4 or 5 on 5 match with War Games rules.

What would be cool about that is that you would sell the RAW vs Smackdown concept and at the same time on the shows leading up to Survivor Series you would have matches on RAW and SD shows where they would be trying to get on the team to represent their brand at SurvSer. On top of that you would have feuds within the two brands that would have to be set aside during War Games for the benefit of the brand. I think that would be cool.

Then at Mania, I would do 3 interpromotional matches like they did this past year.

When you add the Rumble, that would mean all 4 dual PPVs would have some type of SD vs RAW competition. I would do a Ryder Cup type deal where each match would be worth a certain number of points, and after Mania the Cup would be awarded to one show. It would be a sort of bragging rights for the brand that wins, and the next year the other brand would work hard to win it back.

PureHatred
05-01-2004, 12:21 AM
I love both these ideas. Raw vs SD War games and the brand exclusive KOTR tourneys leading up to one match would do a great job of building the brand "competition." But besides prestige, wouldn't it be better if the stakes were higher? Like the King gets 'creative control' for a year? Or a huge check? And maybe the winning team gets to have an immunity list the next time there's a draft?

Meh. Maybe I just like gambling. Winner takes all situations always intrigue me.

RGWhat316
05-01-2004, 04:23 PM
I would love to see KOR come back. There are a bunch of guys that could be elevated even more by winning the tournament such as Cena or Orton.

Heyman
05-01-2004, 05:03 PM
Here's what I would do:

Have each brand run their own version of the KOTR in the summer, then at KOTR have the RAW winner face the SD winner to crown the overall King of the Ring.

I think for Survivor Series they should bring back War Games. I would actually like to see them use two rings (which would be cool because you could have a SD ring and a RAW ring) and have a 4 on 4 or 5 on 5 match with War Games rules.

What would be cool about that is that you would sell the RAW vs Smackdown concept and at the same time on the shows leading up to Survivor Series you would have matches on RAW and SD shows where they would be trying to get on the team to represent their brand at SurvSer. On top of that you would have feuds within the two brands that would have to be set aside during War Games for the benefit of the brand. I think that would be cool.

Then at Mania, I would do 3 interpromotional matches like they did this past year.

When you add the Rumble, that would mean all 4 dual PPVs would have some type of SD vs RAW competition. I would do a Ryder Cup type deal where each match would be worth a certain number of points, and after Mania the Cup would be awarded to one show. It would be a sort of bragging rights for the brand that wins, and the next year the other brand would work hard to win it back.

SOUNDS AWESOME.

I wrote a column about PPV formats once (and what I'd do). http://www.tpww.net/columns/1069747143.html

Evil Vito
05-01-2004, 05:05 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I wouldn't mind seeing them bring back the World War 3 Battle Royal. It could be held at Survivor Series, with the winner getting a shot at their brands title at the Rumble or something.

3 rings - 60 guys - 30 Raw, 30 Smackdown

The ring closest to the entrance would be a Raw ring (red ropes, Raw aprons, etc.) this ring would be where the Raw brand matches take place, and for the battle royal, there would be 20 randomly selected Raw guys in this ring.

The ring farthest away from the entrance would be a Smackdown ring (blue ropes, Smackdown aprons, etc.) the Smackdown matches would happen here and for the battle royal, there'd be 20 randomly selected Smackdown guys in this ring.

The middle ring could have the name of the PPV on it and have neutral black ropes (or if they wanted to show patriotism, white ropes). This ring would have 10 Raw guys and 10 Smackdown guys in it during the battle royal. Also if they have any interpromotional matches, they'd happen here.

They could make it go either of two ways: A) When it's down to the final 20, they all join in the middle ring. or B) When one of the side rings gets to the final 10 or final 5, they all go to the center ring.

It would make the winner seem like they really had to work their ass off to win, since they had to get through 59 other people, and they'd be rewarded with a Royal Rumble title shot.

Plus, it would give everyone on the roster an equal chance to win, since filling the 30-guy field for each brand would probably require using everyone that wasn't the main champ of that brand (even smark favorites like Paul London and Ultimo Dragon could be involved so that they could fill the field).

Meh, what can I say, I loved the WWIII match, maybe it's just me.</font>

Loose Cannon
05-01-2004, 05:05 PM
CyNick can you go apply for a writing postiton please?

Loose Cannon
05-01-2004, 05:07 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I wouldn't mind seeing them bring back the World War 3 Battle Royal. It could be held at Survivor Series, with the winner getting a shot at their brands title at the Rumble or something.

3 rings - 60 guys - 30 Raw, 30 Smackdown

The ring closest to the entrance would be a Raw ring (red ropes, Raw aprons, etc.) this ring would be where the Raw brand matches take place, and for the battle royal, there would be 20 randomly selected Raw guys in this ring.

The ring farthest away from the entrance would be a Smackdown ring (blue ropes, Smackdown aprons, etc.) the Smackdown matches would happen here and for the battle royal, there'd be 20 randomly selected Smackdown guys in this ring.

The middle ring could have the name of the PPV on it and have neutral black ropes (or if they wanted to show patriotism, white ropes). This ring would have 10 Raw guys and 10 Smackdown guys in it during the battle royal. Also if they have any interpromotional matches, they'd happen here.

They could make it go either of two ways: A) When it's down to the final 20, they all join in the middle ring. or B) When one of the side rings gets to the final 10 or final 5, they all go to the center ring.

It would make the winner seem like they really had to work their ass off to win, since they had to get through 59 other people, and they'd be rewarded with a Royal Rumble title shot.

Plus, it would give everyone on the roster an equal chance to win, since filling the 30-guy field for each brand would probably require using everyone that wasn't the main champ of that brand (even smark favorites like Paul London and Ultimo Dragon could be involved so that they could fill the field).

Meh, what can I say, I loved the WWIII match, maybe it's just me.</font>

I wouldn't do that because it's to much like the Royal Rumble. You don't want to have WW3 in November and then a Royal Rumble in January. People won't buy the Rumble if they just saw the same kind of match two months ago. I would go with the War Games instead.

Evil Vito
05-01-2004, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't do that because it's to much like the Royal Rumble. You don't want to have WW3 in November and then a Royal Rumble in January. People won't buy the Rumble if they just saw the same kind of match two months ago. I would go with the War Games instead.

<font color=goldenrod>As would I, but I doubt Vince would ever do that.

At least with WWIII, he could bury every cruiserweight on the roster by having them all get tossed first. :shifty:

Yeah, maybe you're right about November being too close to the Rumble, I'd say maybe do it at SummerSlam and give the title shot at Survivor Series.

Meh, I doubt my idea will happen either.</font>

The Naitch
05-01-2004, 06:08 PM
I would much rather see some WCW PPV's come back. They had good names. Well alot of them are better than the WWE ones today?

Judgement Day? Armageddon? Vengeance? I remember when PPV's had special names to them (ie Rock Bottom when Rock turn corporate) The PPV names would sound better if they had a theme to it.

Shaggy
05-01-2004, 06:10 PM
I like the whole idea of that leading up to the King of the ring show they have there own little tournaments. The final matches are held at the ppv and then the main event is the winners from the seperate catorgories. They need to bring this back. I also like the idea that was mentioned on here of the World War 3 thing. With the 3 rings and 60 men. 30 from each roster. That would kick so much ass.

The Naitch
05-01-2004, 06:20 PM
but we all know how Vince feels about "past WCW" concepts....

King Jericho
05-01-2004, 07:45 PM
but we all know how Vince feels about "past WCW" concepts....

he loves them :shifty:

ColdwaVer
05-01-2004, 08:06 PM
I would much rather see some WCW PPV's come back. They had good names. Well alot of them are better than the WWE ones today?
Yeah, Superbrawl, Bash at the Beach, Hog Wild and Road Wild were fabulous names for PPVs. :shifty:

I do wish they'd do a Souled Out PPV though.

The CyNick
05-01-2004, 11:34 PM
I love both these ideas. Raw vs SD War games and the brand exclusive KOTR tourneys leading up to one match would do a great job of building the brand "competition." But besides prestige, wouldn't it be better if the stakes were higher? Like the King gets 'creative control' for a year? Or a huge check? And maybe the winning team gets to have an immunity list the next time there's a draft?

Meh. Maybe I just like gambling. Winner takes all situations always intrigue me.

Yeah good points.

I actually think they should do the draft lottery every year in order to create new feuds, so yeah why not say the winner of the "_____ Cup" gets the first pick in the draft, but its not a lottery type deal they actually get to select which ever guy they want form the other show (champions excluded). Then the rest of the draft would go back to the lottery format like we seen this past year.

They could also throw in a cash bonus, say the winning side gets $1 million or something. The only problem is who gets the cash? Does it go to the GM or the workers or both?

The only problem with creative control for the year is that it would require say Heyman to be on RAW every week as well as SD. I dont like that too much because its too big of angle. It would have to keep going for the whole year, until the next year when it would likely go the other way and now say Bischoff would control SD as well as RAW.

I'd just rather see it like a Davis Cup in Tennis or a Ryder Cup in Golf where the winning side gets a trophy and bragging rights for the year. I can picture say RAW winning the first cup at Mania 21, then at the next Summerslam, Eric would bring the Cup and it would be eating at the SD guys that RAW has the trophy and have been bragging that they are the superior brand. That would motivate them to win any interpromotional matches in order to work towards getting the cup back for their brand.

The CyNick
05-01-2004, 11:35 PM
CyNick can you go apply for a writing postiton please?

hahaha, thanks, but I've never been fired from the Friends writing staff after getting coffee for the real writers, and I'm not a McMahon, so it seems like a longshot.

But if I ever do, I'll use you as a reference.

MVP
05-02-2004, 12:44 AM
I always loved the Lethal Lottery, perhaps that could be incorporated into a PPV one of these days. Same concept as War Games: RAW vs. SD.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the Lethal Lottery (back in 93); 40 wrestlers' names were put in a lottery, and four names would be randomly drawn and formed into two tag teams, the winning tag team would move on to the battle royal, and the remaining nine matches would decide the remaining 18 battle royal participants. The new version of the Lethal Lottery could have two RAW and two SD superstars teamed up at random for each match. The winner of the Battle Royal, whether he be from RAW or Smackdown could get a prrestigious award like CyNick mentioned.

Hired Hitman
05-02-2004, 12:49 AM
WWE + War Games = RATINGS

KillerWolf
05-02-2004, 05:31 AM
i remember the first King of the Ring. i remember thinking that it was obviously a ppv invented for Bret Hart to win. after bret hart won it, it seemed kinda pointless. it was cool when edge won it because he used the King of the Ring trophy to keep jolly ranchers in.

Fox
05-03-2004, 01:56 AM
KOTR should definitely be brought back. Right now, there is no real way for a mid-card WWE superstar to jumpstart themselves into main event territory. That's what the Intercontinental Title used to be about, but these days it's just something pretty to put on an "over" mid-carder. Randy Orton is referred to as the Legend Killer and the Living Legend more often than he is the Intercontinental Champion. And the US Title just doesn't mean anything.

KOTR would be the best way to get guys like Jericho, Christian, Orton, Cena, and Dupree into WWE main events. They should have 8 RAW superstars and 8 Smackdown superstars fighting qualifying matches to make it to the PPV. Then, at the PPV, 2 RAW stars and 2 SD stars for the Semi-Finals, with a RAW vs. SD KOTR Finale.