PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons

Rock Bottom
08-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Directions

I'll start off by posting something positive about a wrestler. The next person should then find and post a flaw about the wrestler, and then post something positive about another within the same post. Try to limit yourself to only one pro and one con per post, unless you have something you really want to get off your chest about a particular performer. Feel free to be as elaborate as you'd like about whatever points you make. But let's try to keep them objective, at least in this thread.

The point of this is to get specific opinions on a wide array of talent into some sort of confined discussion. While there are certain wrestlers that most of TPWW (fuck the acronym "IWC") is either for or against, there does remain a portion of talent for which there is no decisive consensus as it relates to their merits or flaws. Different points of view might shine a little bit of light on things we may not have noticed about these wrestlers as well.

Mark Henry: After years of ups and downs, and countless times enduring the abuse of his moniker "World's Strongest Man" simply to get mid-carders over, I feel like Mark Henry is finally bringing what he has to the table. The gimmick is obvious, it's not fancy, and it probably won't be too significant in the long haul.

However, when I see Mark Henry now, I think of a legitimate contender who may actually stand a chance of winning a match. I don't predict the obvious job during the introductions that a lot of us might have in the past anymore. I think this makes things more interesting, and he's filling the monster void well right now. If only I could buy into Kane again like that.

El Fangel
08-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Con - He fathered a hand.

Triple H - Most consistent heel in WWE.

Rammsteinmad
08-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Really isn't as great a worker as he's made out to be. Can put on brilliant matches with the right opponent, but his repertoire of moves really is pretty limited.

CM Punk - Basically the hottest thing in wrestling today.

Xero
08-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Possibly too smart for his own good.

Undertaker - Has had the best matches in his career during its twilight.

Rammsteinmad
08-27-2011, 05:50 PM

This sounds interesting. Please explain.

Aguakate
08-27-2011, 05:54 PM

Undertaker - Has had the best matches in his career during its twilight.

...IS in the twilight of his career.

John Cena: Is a VERY hard worker...no matter what you think of his ability (or lack thereof) he always shows up and gives 100%...does a lot of charity work (mainly with kids), which is always awesome.

Rammsteinmad
08-27-2011, 05:58 PM
Con - You can't see him!

Daniel Bryan - Arguably the best in-ring wrestler in WWE today.

CSL
08-27-2011, 06:00 PM
Arguably the worst look in WWE today.

John Morrison - Has nice hair.

Nicky Fives
08-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Con: Morrison has the personality of a doorknob

Pro: Zack Ryder is an Internet marketing genius that uses social media to put his name out there when WWE Brass is hesitant to put him on TV

Rammsteinmad
08-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Hi Nicky Fives! Welcome to five minutes ago. :wave:

Xero
08-27-2011, 06:05 PM
This sounds interesting. Please explain.

He's definitely smart when it comes to the business. Aside from ring and mic work, he knows what to say and what not to say. I just feel that he seemingly knows enough and is smart enough to make people uneasy about their spots (whether in management or talent). I feel it definitely adds to his detractors.

Aguakate
08-27-2011, 06:06 PM
Con: Morrison has the personality of a doorknob

...Which is quite ironic, since his girlfriend IS like a doorknob...

...you know...everybody gets a turn!

You know what I'm talking about?! You know what I'm talking about, right?!

Corporate CockSnogger
08-27-2011, 06:15 PM
No, I don't know what you're talking about.

Pintint
08-27-2011, 06:16 PM
Con : Zach Ryder never wins on TV.

Jinder Mahal : Pro : He is big and has muscles.

CSL
08-27-2011, 06:16 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com/tomko_no_tshirt-p235612497006939312q6wh_400.jpg

Rammsteinmad
08-27-2011, 06:17 PM
Doorknobs are pretty handy.

Aguakate
08-27-2011, 06:19 PM
No, I don't know what you're talking about.

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OEARkn-QtQ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Corporate CockSnogger
08-27-2011, 06:21 PM
Are you coming on to me?

Aguakate
08-27-2011, 06:23 PM
...Nah.

Corporate CockSnogger
08-27-2011, 06:24 PM
...Oh good...

... that could have been awkward...

... ...

BollywoodSingh
08-27-2011, 06:48 PM
Jinder Mahal - Con - needs to stop speaking in so much Punjabi. It's alright to throw some Punjabi lines in each promo (like Eddie Guerrero did in Spanish), but how is he going to get over if 90% of what he says can't be understood by most of the audience. I know he gets heat for it, but non-Punjabi people still won't get his point when he's cutting a promo.

Chris Jericho - Pro - awesome in the ring.

The Show Off
08-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Jinder Mahal - Con - needs to stop speaking in so much Punjabi. It's alright to throw some Punjabi lines in each promo (like Eddie Guerrero did in Spanish), but how is he going to get over if 90% of what he says can't be understood by most of the audience. I know he gets heat for it, but non-Punjabi people still won't get his point when he's cutting a promo.

Chris Jericho - Pro - awesome in the ring.

Con: He has now left the WWE twice while he was still at the top of his game and thus the WWE will never fully trust to put him over. And he's never carried a company the way his talent (in and out of the ring) suggests he should.

(**that was difficult Jericho is one of my favorites**)

Bully Ray: Pro: Is a very believeable and interesting heel that is easy to identify with because ever one knows a least someone like him. A loud mouth jerk that you'd like to shut up but you can't because he's bigger and tougher than you.

parkmania
08-27-2011, 06:59 PM
Y2J Con: At a point in his career where he could be considered a "made man" (He could go on a 6 month losing streak and get slotted in to have a world title match and we'd all buy it as credible), instead of furthering the business by helping teach and put over younger talent, he took his ball (ok, guitar) and went home.

Christian - Pro: Edge's retirement has helped him to step up his game and get more focused.

BizarroKing
08-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Con: WWE has been booking him as the whiny heel who has to hide behind lawyers.

Wade Barrett-Pro: He has that sort of look on him that makes him seem like a powerhouse heel if he steps his game up.

Wishbone
08-27-2011, 07:30 PM
Bully Ray: Con: Doesn't have the credibility to be a real threat to the world title scene

Mr. Anderson: Pro: Extremly talented on the mic and has a marketable 'look'

Aguakate
08-28-2011, 12:43 AM
...Was injury prone in the WWE and was never able to reach his potential. Got on Randy Orton's bad side, and subsequently, fired.

Alberto Del Rio: Great on the mic and even better in the ring.

Skippord
08-28-2011, 12:45 AM
con - he is not great on the mic at all

Ted Dibiase - Massive traps

Aguakate
08-28-2011, 12:47 AM
...No charisma whatsoever.

Sheamus: If given the green light to talk more freely on the mic, he could become a HUGE star for the WWE...much bigger than he is now.

BizarroKing
08-28-2011, 12:50 AM
...but during his 2 WWE title reigns he never officially 'defended' them, so he needs to build some cred back up I feel...

since no one answered my previous attempt...Wade Barrett-Pro: He has that sort of look on him that makes him seem like a powerhouse heel if he steps his game up.

Aguakate
08-28-2011, 12:53 AM
...he's pretty dull...not that entertaining on the mic...the classic and overplayed "heel foreigner"...

Kurt Angle: The best pure athlete ever to step into a professional wrestling ring.

BizarroKing
08-28-2011, 12:55 AM
...except he's in TNA while it's in the toilet...

Sin Cara: Amazing in the ring when he's not botching and given time to develop can become the "next Rey Mysterio".

Aguakate
08-28-2011, 12:56 AM
...a clown.

Vince McMahon: He IS Professional Wrestling. Period.

Tom Guycott
08-28-2011, 01:45 AM
Vinnie Mac - con: seeking to drive anything remotely competitive out of business, being the only widely recoginized show in town has hurt the product immensely.

Sheamus - pro: after being primed as an unstoppable monster heel and then nearly completely destroyed as a suddenly cowardly heel, the "fella" has been reborn Lex Lugar-esque as a pretty over face who can stand toe-to-toe with the afore mentioned (by Rock Bottom) Mark Henry, who in turn has "put out" Big Show AND Kane, thus giving Sheamus (and MH for that matter) an added reboost of credibility-by-association.

XL
08-28-2011, 01:55 AM
Sheamus - Con: Will be limited to the #2 Face position behind Orton on SmackDown.

Cody Rhodes - Pro: Great all-rounder, has promo and in-ring skills galore with a great handle on his character.

Sycophant
08-28-2011, 02:18 AM
Con - Will end up getting decent heat as a heel until he is traded to Raw in the next draft. He will then get thrown into a feud with The Big Show, I'm sure, which is where pushes go to die.

Robert Roode - Pro: Yes he is in TNA, but the man has some really good in-ring skills and is decent on the mic. Pretty solid overall.

The Show Off
08-28-2011, 02:58 AM
Robert Roode: Con: TNA's worst attribute is the fact that it can't elevate talent to main event status without it seeming odd at first. But more to the fact I should really give a con to Roode and not TNA. Roode is very basic in the ring, sure that means that all of is matches are pretty good but none are great except for against the Motor City Machine Guns but that's because the Guns are non stop entertainment. Roode himself has never been and better than average one on one wrestling match in his career, but seeing as he may be main eventing Bound for Glry against Kurt Angle if he can win the BFG Series he may very well make this con obsolete.

El Generico: Pro: An excellent in ring talent great ability to sell moves, ultimatly sympathetic as a face and has a great in ring exciting arsenal. This is the guy the WWE should bring in to be the next Mysterio I can see kids loving an lanky canadian guy in a mask doing incredible things in the ring, and I think he could tone down his style to fit the WWE style.

Blakeamus
08-28-2011, 04:58 AM
El Generico: Con: Couldn't even get a break with TNA.

Randy Orton: Pro: He can SELL a move and BUMP like a champ. Great charisma as a heel.

Autobahn
08-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Con: Randy needs a shave

Pro: Rick Rude was one of the best wrestlers never to hold the WWF title.

bigslimjj
08-28-2011, 09:23 AM
Con: Randy needs a shave

Pro: Rick Rude was one of the best wrestlers never to hold the WWF title.

Con: Magnum P.I. mustache

Pro: A.J. Styles- In ring execution of moves is damn near flawless,and he's the best thing TNA has and doesn't use correctly.

BizarroKing
08-28-2011, 10:08 AM
Con: The fact that he flip flops between being a face or heel and midcarder or ME so much it can be hard to keep up...

The Miz-Pro: He went from "Royal Rumble" jobber to ME in about 4 years, is excellent on the mic and gets impressive heat.

Pintint
08-28-2011, 11:12 AM
Con: The fact that he flip flops between being a face or heel and midcarder or ME so much it can be hard to keep up...

The Miz-Pro: He went from "Royal Rumble" jobber to ME in about 4 years, is excellent on the mic and gets impressive heat.

Con : His finisher kinda sucks...

Beth Phoenix :
Pro : She is extremely hot and a great wrestler...

Shisen Kopf
08-28-2011, 11:20 AM
Con-he got the clap from trishelle!

Tyson Kidd-pro he shaved his hair and doesn't look as stupid as he did before.

XL
08-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Beth - Con: Regardless of her talent...she's still a women and "nobody cares about women's wrestlings"

R Truth - Pro: Finally has a character that people on the internet AND the casual audience are behind.

Shisen Kopf
08-28-2011, 11:30 AM
R-truth-smoking cigarettes is bad mmmkay?

Great Khali-pro, his mother loves him

XL
08-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Khali - Con: Everybody else hates him

Hogan - Pro: Made pro wrestling/WWE huge.

Shisen Kopf
08-28-2011, 11:44 AM
Hogan-con- may have been gay with beefcake

Eddie Guerrero-Pro-was a good rassler and cut funny promos

bigslimjj
08-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Hogan-con- may have been gay with beefcake

Eddie Guerrero-Pro-was a good rassler and cut funny promosCon: Took too many drugs,made us miss him. :'(

Pro:Cody Rhodes-fastest rising star on Smackdown. Empeccable mic skills.

MoFo
08-28-2011, 03:43 PM
Cody is too ugly to play a narccisistic gimmick, thus is not believable in teh character.

Pro - Zeke Jackson - is a great, albeit basic, 'big man' who can fill the void that Batista and Lashley left. Also, torture rack is awesome and has fucking best music evar.

Pintint
08-28-2011, 03:49 PM
Cody is too ugly to play a narccisistic gimmick, thus is not believable in teh character.

Pro - Zeke Jackson - is a great, albeit basic, 'big man' who can fill the void that Batista and Lashley left. Also, torture rack is awesome and has fucking best music evar.

Con : He's bla...ck...j/k. He is...bland.

Pro - Skip Sheffield - He is big.

Rammsteinmad
08-28-2011, 04:31 PM
And injured.

Sting - Still 'going' with as much energy and enthusiasm as he was 20 years ago.

Volare
08-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Con that was 20 years old...became old ass joker.

Pro WWE Teamed up Truth and Miz

Corporate CockSnogger
08-28-2011, 04:44 PM
Sting - Was better with The Police than as a solo artist.

Hornswoggle - loved by the kids.

parkmania
08-28-2011, 08:50 PM
Hornswoggle - Con: his claim to fame is going to be that he was used as a gimmick to eliminate the Cruiserweight belt.

Matt Morgan - Pro: Is a reasonably intelligent "big man".

Xero
08-28-2011, 08:51 PM
Hornswoggle - Con: his claim to fame is going to be that he was used as a gimmick to eliminate the Cruiserweight belt.

Does anyone even really remember this? Does anyone even really remember the WWE cruiserweight title?

He's going to be remembered for being a cartoon in WWE.

CSL
08-28-2011, 08:57 PM

Matt Morgan - Pro: Is a reasonably intelligent "big man".

Con - He's still pretty bad/bland

Paul Heyman - Legit creative "genius"

Pintint
08-28-2011, 09:03 PM
Con - He's still pretty bad/bland

Paul Heyman - Legit creative "genius"

Con : Bad businessman, couldnt keep ECW afloat and pay his workers.

Curt Hawkins : Pro : He didn't cut his hair.

Riker
08-28-2011, 11:09 PM
Con - Faded into obscurity while his tag partner re-invented himself into an Internet Sensation

Tully Blanchard - One the the Most Underrated Heels of the 80s, and was number 2 to flair for most of that time.

Godfather4Life
08-29-2011, 12:19 AM
Tully Blanchard con- would have never made it on his own without four horsemen or double a.

Jake The Snake Roberts- Great Heel, Great Face, great move arsenal, one of the best in his time. great at playing mind games.

My Final Heaven
08-29-2011, 10:28 AM
http://www.thfire.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/bret_hart.jpg
Pro

http://www.onlineworldofwrestling.com/pictures/n/nailz/05.jpg
Con

Innovator
08-29-2011, 10:35 AM
Tully Blanchard con- would have never made it on his own without four horsemen or double a.

Jake The Snake Roberts- Great Heel, Great Face, great move arsenal, one of the best in his time. great at playing mind games.

Jake - Personal Demons got in the way.

Haku - Most underrated guy in the late 80s early 90s WWF scene.

My Final Heaven
08-29-2011, 10:36 AM
Con - Haku - Sailors and Drunks hated him for beating them up with ease.

The Fabulous Freebirds - Set the standard for Tag Team wrestling worldwide, and invented the "Freebird Rule", which is awesome.

Riker
08-29-2011, 10:50 AM
Con - Could never get over outside of the South.

The Godfather - Pro - Had some of the finest Hos this side of Vegas

RiX1024
08-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Con - Joined RTC and got buried afterwards.

Paul Burchill Pro - An amazing wrestler for his size

Sycophant
08-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Paul Burchill: Con - had a gimmick based on Jack Sparrow and cartoony gimmicks rarely get people over other than in a comedic sense.

Trish Stratus: Pro: Super hot and one of the few good in-ring female workers

Mister Sinister
08-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Con: Her matches are very much the same, as good as they are (meanly you can see her spots coming a mile away)

Alex Shelley: Great Wrestler, who a unique look

XL
08-29-2011, 12:17 PM
Shelley: Con - Too small to be considered by WWE/taken seriously by the current TNA bookers.

Booker T: Pro - One of the best all-rounders (charisma, mic skills, in-ring ability) in the history of wrestling.

Innovator
08-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Booker: Con - One of the worst announcers. CAN YOU FEEL ME

Brock: Easily one of the best runs in WWE, brought a sense of atheticism and realism to Smackdown.

XL
08-29-2011, 12:21 PM
Brock: Given too much, too soon, got bored, moved on.

Goldberg: Was THE MAN for a time in the late 90's.

Innovator
08-29-2011, 12:28 PM
Goldy - If his segment went more than 5 minutes he exposed as not ready for the moment. Took himself too seriously.

Goldust - Gimmick way ahead of its time. Underrated worker.

Shisen Kopf
08-29-2011, 04:34 PM
Goldust-Con-queering doesnt make the world work

Hakushi-Pro-was an evil jap

Pintint
08-29-2011, 10:07 PM
Goldust-Con-queering doesnt make the world work

Hakushi-Pro-was an evil jap

Con - Never got over outside of Japan.

Billy Gunn : Pro - Was an "ass man".

Shisen Kopf
08-29-2011, 10:58 PM
Billy Gunn-con- see goldust

Keith Stone-pro-always has a case of beer on him

parkmania
08-30-2011, 01:14 PM
Con - wears as much makeup as the Bella Twins

Masahiro Chono - devastating finishing move, and was starting to get over as part of "nWo Japan" on American television.

itsmeJD
08-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Masahiro Chono - at one point used the same finisher as Erik Watts, making it suck.

Erik Watts - had a longer career than anticipated.

Gertner
08-30-2011, 05:08 PM
Con - had a longer career than expected

Conquistador #2 : Had shiny ring gear

Pintint
08-30-2011, 09:15 PM
Con - had a longer career than expected

Conquistador #2 : Had shiny ring gear

Con : Always overshadowed by Conquistador #1.

Shawn Michaels : Pro - One of the best wrestlers of all time, well known legend, helped launch a new era in DX...

Asmo
08-30-2011, 09:35 PM
HBK Con: Way too egoistical at one point of his career (That's a rather subjective con)

RVD Pro: One of the best heavyweight flyers in the business, with an awesome "Look at me now" moveset that was unique thanks to the innovations thrown in.

XL
08-31-2011, 03:09 AM
RVD: Con - FINALLY handed the push of a lifetime he threw all away due to his love of pot.

Ultimate Warrior: Pro - was hugely over in the early 90s despite poor inring ability and bonkers promo.

RiX1024
08-31-2011, 03:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior: Con - He had no wrestling ability and his ego got the best of him.

Jerry Lynn: Pro - Truly one of the most underrated veteran in wrestling.

Innovator
08-31-2011, 09:11 AM
Mr. JL - Except for his in ring work, did nothing to stand out

Warlord - Inspired Batista.

XL
08-31-2011, 02:42 PM
Warlord: CON - Inspired Batista (seewhatididthere?)

X Pac: PRO - Was a very good in-ring talent

Aguakate
08-31-2011, 03:10 PM
Warlord: CON - Inspired Batista (seewhatididthere?)

X Pac: PRO - Was a very good in-ring talent

...Let his demons get the best of him.

Sid Vicious: Was entertaining on the mic and was MAD OVER with the fans, even when, as a heel, he'd go against whoever the "face WWF Champion" was.

Vastardikai
08-31-2011, 03:45 PM
Con: can't be trusted around Scissors or Squeegees (sp?)

Disco Inferno: Was able to farther than any Disco Dancing wrestler ever had a right to.

RiX1024
08-31-2011, 05:18 PM
Disco Inferno - Con: Could not be taken seriously therefore he sucked.

Raven - Pro: One of the most unique gimmicks in wrestling plus amazing mic skills.

parkmania
08-31-2011, 06:11 PM
Disco Inferno - Con: Could not be taken seriously therefore he sucked.

Raven - Pro: One of the most unique gimmicks in wrestling plus amazing mic skills.

Con - The apathetic heel persona didn't have much room for growth.

Matt Hardy: Pro - He's not currently employed by TNA or WWE.

Rock Bottom
08-31-2011, 06:53 PM
Con - The apathetic heel persona didn't have much room for growth.

Matt Hardy: Pro - He's not currently employed by TNA or WWE.

Matt Hardy (Con): Has social media accounts

Great Khali: The guy is fuckin huge and his face is scary as shit.

RiX1024
08-31-2011, 07:03 PM
Great Khali - Con: He's naff in the ring.

Stevie Richards - Pro: Decent wrestler, good mic skills, was once tipped to be the 'next Shawn Michaels'