PDA

View Full Version : OnLive launches in the UK, you can get any game (like DE:HR) for £1

G
09-21-2011, 08:11 PM
come on, for $1 wtf can you lose.

http://onlivefans.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/onlive-uk-launch.jpg (http://onlivefans.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/onlive-uk-launch.jpg)
To mark the launch of OnLive.co.uk (http://onlive.co.uk/), the company is celebrating with several great promotions. They include a partnership deal with British Telecommunications (BT). UK gamers can expect the following promotions from OnLive:

First-time OnLive purchasers can get their first OnLive PlayPass Game for just £1, (This is a £39.99 value)
BT broadband customers can get 100+ PlayPack Games for FREE for 3 months in addition to the OnLive PlayPass £1 game offer, (The PlayPack offer from BT is valued at £20.97).
Eurogamer Expo attendees can get a FREE OnLive Game System (while supplies last), a £69.99 value.

#BROKEN Hasney
09-22-2011, 01:53 AM
Despite meeting the minimum internet speed specs, my internet speed is too slow and the app won't launch. Well fuck them.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
09-22-2011, 02:28 AM
What is the catch to this application?

#BROKEN Hasney
09-22-2011, 02:57 AM
You have to have their software installed. Always a catch in my book, but try it, I want to see if you can get a Saints Row 3 pre-order for £1.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
09-22-2011, 03:06 AM
Do you really own the games?

I'm not reading through all their terms and conditions.

#BROKEN Hasney
09-22-2011, 03:08 AM
As much as you own games from Steam (or in fact any modern game, PC or console if EULA's ever hold up in court). Just without a Gabe Newell pinky swear that they'll get rid of the DRM if they go under.

I wouldn't pay double digits for a game from them if I don't at least have the files, put it that way.

NoJabbaNoBogRoll
09-22-2011, 03:44 AM
I'm more willing to trust a platform that you actually download the files from.

I'll probably get something in the £1 deal, though.

Kane Knight
09-22-2011, 01:18 PM
As much as you own games from Steam (or in fact any modern game, PC or console if EULA's ever hold up in court). Just without a Gabe Newell pinky swear that they'll get rid of the DRM if they go under.

I wouldn't pay double digits for a game from them if I don't at least have the files, put it that way.

One of the reasons I'm way of using them.

Emperor Smeat
09-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Do you really own the games?

I'm not reading through all their terms and conditions.

I think its more of a rental service like a streaming version of Gamefly than an actual digital distribution service like Steam and others. I also think once you stop paying, all the games you were currently playing get locked out similar to ending a Playstation Plus membership with the free games.

G
09-22-2011, 03:37 PM
I think its more of a rental service like a streaming version of Gamefly than an actual digital distribution service like Steam and others. I also think once you stop paying, all the games you were currently playing get locked out similar to ending a Playstation Plus membership with the free games.

If you pay for a game, you keep it forever. They also have a monthly sub you can get, which gives you unlimited access to over 100 games.

Kane Knight
09-22-2011, 03:55 PM
If you pay for a game, you keep it forever. They also have a monthly sub you can get, which gives you unlimited access to over 100 games.

Since it's streaming, you never "have" the game in the first place, and therefore don't "keep" it.

Emperor Smeat
09-22-2011, 03:56 PM
Didn't realize they added a buying option because most of the news about the service was more towards rental or streaming than actual ownership of the games. Its been a while since any real news about OnLive has occurred besides E3.

#BROKEN Hasney
09-22-2011, 03:58 PM
Yeah. If the service goes under, you're more fucked than you are with any other distributor.

Kane Knight
09-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Yeah. If the service goes under, you're more fucked than you are with any other distributor.

Aaaaaand this is what's stopped me from using them. Though if they had a 1 dollar deal lik this, I'd try them.

G
09-22-2011, 04:34 PM

Aaaaaand this is what's stopped me from using them. Though if they had a 1 dollar deal lik this, I'd try them.

Yes, I suppose that is correct if they go under. They state in their ToS that games will at minimum be available for 3 years.

I don't use their service to buy games at retail prices, like I would a CoD. They have sales all the time which I take advantage of, so if they do "go under" in a few years, I would have played my money's worth. Example, right now they have a 75% off coupon for any available game. I bought that new Warhammer for $12. Would've purchased Deus EX for the same price, but I have that in the mail. I think my OnLive library is up to 11 games now, and each game was purchased with a coupon code for a ridiculous price.

I don't mind the whole "you don't really own the game" theory at all, because I pay such low prices for their games that it is worth it to me.

Kane Knight
09-22-2011, 04:43 PM
They also state pretty openly that you're not "owning" them, but purchasing a pass. Didn't you just claim that you "keep" them "forever?"

It's not even if they go under, apparently.

Anyway, yes, that's more or less how I use Steam. If Steam dies in a year, all my games will have been worth it, even when (not if), it turns out Gabe pulled a Paul Heyman and sold out his promises.

I just haven't really noticed any OnLive deals that make it worth the usage, personally.

G
10-22-2011, 09:00 AM
US now gets their first game for free, and existing customers get their next for $1. Does not count for pre-orders.

List of games (http://www.onlive.com/games/featuredgames#&tab=new_releases)