PDA

View Full Version : IYO: John Morrison and Melina

GD
10-11-2011, 10:20 PM
IYO: John Morrison and Melina.

John Morrison

I have lost all interest in the John Morrison character. It started with his poorly booked return to RAW this year. It seemed forced and horrible. Not to mention, the losing streak. Other than that, I am not a fan of his new t-shirt.

Just like many other IWC fans, I believed that John Morrison was going to be the next Shawn Michaels and Miz was going to be the next Marty Jannetty. I am glad that didn't happen.

There have been times when I have found myself applauding John Morrison's wicked crazy spots. But other than that, he has nothing much more to offer (IMO). He was "funny" on his web series but when it comes to in-ring promos, he sucks.

I will not be shocked if he were to be future endeavored in the upcoming future owing to his attitude and relationship issues.

I personally believe that time will heal everything for JoMo. After all, he is a homegrown talent. If the WWE book him properly and pull off a "Chris Benoit/Wrestlemania XX", I would happily buy him as a World Champion. But I am not sure if that's ever going to happen.

Melina

I will start off by stating that I have never been a Melina fan. I get a strange vibe from her. She seems fake and shallow (IMO). I would like to add that I liked the splits that she did during her entrance. But that's about it. I am not a fan of her in-ring capabilities. Her match against Ashley at Wrestlemania 23 happens to be one of the worst Wrestlemania matches that I have ever witnessed.

All her drama with John Morrison and her physical association with Big Dave gets on my nerves. I might seem bias, but that's how I feel about her.

Feel free to post your opinions :wave:

Xero
10-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Melina was fine for what she was. Don't have much to say on her other than she's Matt Hardying her career.

As for Morrison, I really feel he's plateaued as a performer. He's, at best, meh on the mic and is overall a boring personality outside of doing his Parkour gimmick. What is his gimmick even? He's a Jim Morrison rip off? He eats peoples' lunches? That's more on creative, but still, I don't see any discernible gimmick or personality in him, and haven't since his Miz and Morrison run.

He's okay in the ring and can be fun to watch, but I don't see much, if any improvement from him in the last few years. His last stand out match I remember was the match vs. Miz from the beginning of the year, and before that his ladder match with Sheamus at TLC. Other than that, I can't tell you the last time I saw a Morrison match and cared. Honestly, he's little more than a spot monkey in the ring.

So, like I said, I believe he's plateaued and there's not much for him at this point. He's not going to be going anywhere in WWE anytime soon, so his impending release will be better for him than hurt him, I think.

Rock Bottom
10-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Shitty on the mic, but capable of fantastic things. Horrible circumstances surround JoMo. He could be a lot more than what he is.

BollywoodSingh
10-11-2011, 11:41 PM
I like Morrison in the ring. He has a unique style and usually has pretty solid matches. But his character is terrible. He always seems so uncomfortable anytime he says anything.

Supreme Olajuwon
10-11-2011, 11:50 PM
Melina was the worst thing ever. Annoying, untalented, full of herself. Everything you look for in someone to truly dislike.

I want Morrison to succeed but it looks like he's peaked. Dunno, he's still young and has gobs of talent, but he hasn't stepped up his game since his feud with Sheamus.

GD
10-12-2011, 12:08 AM
According to Ryan "Almighty" Clark, Morrison might not renew his contract.

CSL
10-12-2011, 12:13 AM
Almost obscene just how far Miz has surpassed him when looking back at the two of them 3-4 years. And the gap grows on every episode of RAW. Melina was/is a complete waste of time as a performer outside of walking guys to the ring and doing the splits.

Supreme Olajuwon
10-12-2011, 12:16 AM
Miz and Morrison seems like the classic case of hard work beating talent. Might show my kids a video montage of the two to teach them a valuable lesson.

Nah probably won't.

Supreme Olajuwon
10-12-2011, 12:23 AM
Really loved the video packages and promos they did during Miz's title run where they showed him overcoming adversity even when nobody said he could and then expected us to go "Boo, you worked to achieve your dream! You suck!"

Emperor Smeat
10-12-2011, 02:04 AM
Sort of amazing how Morrison had the better early years than the Miz and even the initial period after the tag team broke up but once Miz developed the "Awesome" part of his gimmick, he skyrocketed while Morrison barely has done anything worthy since then.

He still has potential but almost no chance of rising above his current status on RAW due to the face side basically being just about Cena with Punk now as #2. Even if he turned, the heel side on Raw is a bit packed in numbers.

Melina wasn't much of a problem for Morrison until maybe her last year or two in the company but by that point he was already in low to mid-card range and did manage to rejuvenate part of his momentum with the whole parkour gimmick. Most of the time the heat was just on Melina for most of the dumb things she would say or do.

Sixx
10-12-2011, 02:15 AM
Fun fact: melina means a sleazy bar in Polish.

KIRA
10-12-2011, 02:37 AM
A few things here,I'm gonna just list the things I think

1. Melina: he really really needs to let her go. I dunno why hed hang on to her after that whole fling with Dave. Grow some balls and ditch that harpy

2. He's a face some people are just better as heels its more fun and you get away with a lot more crap look how entertaining Henry is on the mic as a heel, Batista's likeabilty went up significantly in his final run as a heel. R-Truth went from floundering in the mid-card to likeable whack job with Miz as an unlikely but successful partner in crime Hell I want everything William Regal does to be as a heel cause its just that fun to watch.
In a lot of ways Morrison reminds me of Jerichos WCW face run I didnt pay much if any attention to him as a bland smiling pretty boy face.(I was a child mind you) but when he snapped threw temper tantrums and introduced ridiculous loopholes to keep his title, he became one of the main reasons I tuned in.

3.That gimmick it dosent work as a face and his music sucks hes supposed to be a Jim Morrison rip-off which no child in the audience will get much less care about yet he doesnt enter to a Doors ripoff rather a bad Jimi Hendrix ripoff but I digress.

In short I think he can be saved but he's going to need a massive personal and professional overhaul. I only say all this because I really do like the guy and I want him to stick around I think he can be awesome but he needs work done.

Rammsteinmad
10-12-2011, 04:02 AM
Morrison is awesome. Incredible in the ring, and he has a fantastic look. He has tonnes of charisma, but I think it was a lot more evident when he was a heel. In the past he has gotten over huge as a face, but he definitely seems a bit awkward on the mic. He's a main event waiting to happen though. Everytime WWE has teased a Morrison push the crowd have really gotten behind him.

As for Melina, I don't really care. She was okay back in 2005 as MNM, as it suited the characters etc, but since I don't really care for Divas wrestling, since MNM split I didn't really give a shit about her.

Interesting how the IWC has 'never liked her' though. I remember a few years ago there was the Melina bandwagon where everyone was praising her for how hot she is, and how she's a legit 'wrestler' and not another barbie etc... ah... the internet...

P.S. I never found Melina hot. But I still wouldn't say no. :shifty:

ZosoMetalManiac
10-12-2011, 04:12 AM
I think John Morrison has potential to be more than he has been. The crowd really seems to dig him too, and that's important. It's hard to push someone the fans don't give a shit about at all.

As far as Melina, I liked her better than some of the other Divas, but I was still rather indifferent to her. There was no hate, but no love either.

#BROKEN Hasney
10-12-2011, 04:31 AM
Probably the most insignificant thing in the history of insignificant things.

Disco Apocalypse
10-12-2011, 06:45 AM
JoMo

There were a few times in JoMo's career that I thought he would become legendary...
- Debut
- ECW Feud with CM Punk when he ditched Nitro for Morrison
- Feud with Jeff Hardy for IC title (specifically the cage match where he landed on the door)
- And more recently, this world title match with Miz on Raw

Despite these oppurtunities, his in-ring skills and his look, he's ended up nowhere. Really goes to show that all the talent in the world, you still need to eventually establish a gimmick... I really appreciate WWE putting faith in guys like Miz and Punk who can talk and actually put some effort into their "presence".

Melina

If it wasn't for Melina doing the splits, I would have thought she was one of the catering crew... there was just nothing there to write home about. Even Kelly Kelly will have more impact on the wrestling industry than her.

KIRA
10-12-2011, 09:54 AM
When I read the line pull a Benoit I thought how is a murder suicide gonna help him?

(Boooo)I know but thats what popped up

Cuse8
10-12-2011, 10:57 AM
jomo needs a complete gimmick change.. this i would mostly blame on creative

ditch the hippie jim morrison rip off and corny music..i stated before he could have a gimmick (if you call it that) of aj styles..simple, to the point, will impress in the ring

no corny fireworks, glasses, fur coats, etc..his athletic ability is easily one of the best in the wwe. use that which is his #1 positive, and find a way to hide the negatives (mic work)

MVP
10-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Morrison has a superstar look and is good in the ring, but has a bland personality. He could be TNA Champion.

Hanso Amore
10-12-2011, 12:23 PM
I do agree that a heel turn would freshen the gimmick and his character.

The problem is that so many guys right now need the "Heel Crutch" to get over.

I see no possibility EVER of a successful Swagger Face Run, I dont see Cody (Mad over as a heel) working as a face, and even Ziggler doesnt work as a face.

Seems like outside of Bourne and Kofi, they havent been able to create a NEW face star in quite some time.

stultiloquy
10-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Melina is awful.

Never really been a Morrison fan.

He can do some pretty impressive acrobatics in the ring, but I haven't seen a shred of personality out of him since he was teaming with Miz.

That, and if you botch one of your 'trademark' moves (Starship Pain) nearly every time you attempt it, just stop doing it and find something else.

dronepool
10-12-2011, 03:25 PM
I like John Morrison and Melina is pretty and did some cool splits but I haven't really payed much attention to her in the last few months whenever catching a stream or RAW every now and then. Last thing I remember was that she was in trouble with John or something.

Supreme Olajuwon
10-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Melina was released two months ago.

Funky Fly
10-12-2011, 04:25 PM
Morrison is basically a slightly shittier, more cartoonish Shelton Benjamin. All the talent and charisma in the world, but can't cut a promo to save his life. Quick fix: He needs a new valet mouthpiece and a more aggressive face persona ("She does the talking, I'm here to fight and do flips off shit" kinda thing). During tag matches, have him hog the spotlight a bit and show off, but still cater to the crowd. He should be someone the crowd gets behind, but other faces kinda don't like him and he doesn't give a shit kinda deal. He's never gonna be champ, btw.

And Melina is worthless. Morrison would do well to be rid of her

MoFo
10-12-2011, 04:52 PM
Melina is butters and has a face like a retarded horse.

Morrison can be great but needs a lot of help from creative to get crowd reaction ie when he was on that long ass run of momentum late last yr. His moves are a tad too OTT too.

addy2hotty
10-12-2011, 04:57 PM
What was Morrison like on the mic when he was tagging with The Miz?

erickman
10-12-2011, 05:07 PM
I like Morrison in the ring. He has a unique style and usually has pretty solid matches. But his character is terrible. He always seems so uncomfortable anytime he says anything.

i want to see him fued with aj styles, so he may have to go to impact wrestling, an i wish they would let him be johny nitro again with eric bischoff.

on miz i did not much like him till he joined r-truth now they are the best heels going, an going out to truths music that reminds me of angles old music.

Nicky Fives
10-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Not a fan of either..... Melina was a much better Diva than Morrison was a wrestler.....Morrison has flash in the ring, but has the personality of an old shoe..... every time he opens his mouth, it make me hate him more....

XCaliber
10-12-2011, 06:52 PM
Why is there no option for both good enough?

The Naitch
10-12-2011, 07:38 PM
-Needs to cut his hair
-Get rid of the pants and wear tights or trunks
-Go heel

Graveler
10-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Morrison is basically a slightly shittier, more cartoonish Shelton Benjamin. All the talent and charisma in the world, but can't cut a promo to save his life. Quick fix: He needs a new valet mouthpiece and a more aggressive face persona ("She does the talking, I'm here to fight and do flips off shit" kinda thing). During tag matches, have him hog the spotlight a bit and show off, but still cater to the crowd. He should be someone the crowd gets behind, but other faces kinda don't like him and he doesn't give a shit kinda deal. He's never gonna be champ, btw.

And Melina is worthless. Morrison would do well to be rid of her

I have the perfect manager for Morrison:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lochyk93vo1qgrfah.gif

Disco Apocalypse
10-12-2011, 10:58 PM

I see no possibility EVER of a successful Swagger Face Run, I dont see Cody (Mad over as a heel) working as a face, and even Ziggler doesnt work as a face.

Seems like outside of Bourne and Kofi, they havent been able to create a NEW face star in quite some time.

Ziggler will become a huge face/tweener... he just has to turn on Vickie Guerrero and he'll instantly be huge based on the heat she gets. Totally agree with Swagger and Cody Rhodes... although the old Cody Rhodes (Dashing) could have become a comedy face...

The MAC
10-13-2011, 02:01 AM
morrison -->tna ---> [/career]

Mr. Nerfect
10-13-2011, 04:28 AM
Cody Rhodes will work great as a face. He'll just drop insulting the fans and calling them ugly -- and aim his "monster" at the heels. He'll focus on being a dude bringing old-school back and people will love him.

As for the topic at hand -- personally, I still feel that Morrison is money. He stole the show at three straight PPVs in the past calendar year. The dude just needs to pull his head in and stop being such a douche. That's if he wants a main event career. The dude might be happy being a perpetual mid-carder, though. That's his thing to deal with.

Personally, I don't think Morrison needs a gimmick change or anything. I think he needs a scenery change. Morrison's greatest strength is his ring ability, and that will always be showcased better on the blue brand. Have John Laurinaitis fire Morrison for speaking out against him, or something -- and "RAW's loss becomes SmackDown!'s gain" where Morrison is concerned. A feud with Cody Rhodes, where Rhodes tries to disfigure "the pretty boy" could be great. Rhodes vs. Morrison would make a great IC Title match at WrestleMania next year. Introduce Goldust as Morrison's on-air coach, to give Morrison someone to play comedy off. And that way you're also not pushing a dude that might crash and burn mentally at any moment as the figurehead of the company. Even if he wins the World Heavyweight Title on SmackDown! -- he'll still be third fiddle to John Cena and CM Punk, at best -- and most likely Randy Orton as well.

As for Melina? Personally, I liked her as a character. When she was a part of MNM -- I thought her slutty character fit them so well. I also liked the way she was "one of the boys," and helped them out physically. When she moved into the ring full-time, I could feel her trying. I got the impression she had a great mind for in-ring stuff. But basically, her attitude ruined it all for her.

I think Melina could most make a name for herself as the slutty arm-piece to rising heels -- using her body to swing things her way. She should look into employment with TNA. They're more likely to go risque with Melina, which is what she really needs to matter.

XL
10-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Morrison is a sad case of the IWC turning on a guy.

At the start of 2011 there was a genuine "outcry" for Morrison to be pushed to the Main Event. He had a stunning match with Sheamus at TLC and was scheduled to face his former parter for the WWE Title. People here bitched that he didn't get that shot at the Rumble/NWO and instead got bumped to a shot on Raw. The match was good to great, people here still wanted to see JoMo bumped up the card.

Then news broke of Melina's backstage conduct but more importantly, that Morrison was indifferent to his girl fucking other guys. He lost "Man Points"/respect with Vince and almost immediately with the IWC. This was the tipping point from which there seems to be no return from.

Why do "we" care how Morrison/Melina run their relationship? I dunno, but obviously it matters to WWE as any semblance of a push went out of the window and JoMo is now "jobber to the stars". Seriously, he came back from injury and lost to the guy that injured him (and others), that's not how the story should go.

People can hide their dislike of the guy behind the fact that he can't promo but how is that different from the turn of the year when people clamoured for his push.

** DISCLAIMER: This post is based on an overall "trend" more than the changing opinions of the individual. There is no need to post "I never liked JoMo/never wanted him to get a Main Event push", etc. in response to this post **

Xero
10-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Morrison also bragged about being thrown out of a bar on Twitter. Getting thrown out is unprofessional enough, but to brag about it? In this day and age, where there's a crackdown on that type of shit in WWE, if you're doing it you're screwing yourself over.

I think it's a combination of losing his "man card" and Melina just being such an uncontrollable bitch that she's screwing his chances. Whether it's fair or not for Morrison to be punished for something she's doing is moot. He's with her and is proud of it. And let's not forget the snub he gave to Trish at Mania. Unprofessional and again a nod to Melina.

So outside of him not improving (which I believe is true), he's also highly unprofessional and bows to the whim of Melina. So there's definitely some legitimate reasons for him not getting the push.

XL
10-13-2011, 01:31 PM
Not getting the push is one thing, being "turned on" by the IWC is another.

Xero
10-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Well, I only care about their relationship because it affects his in-ring work and his push. I'm pissed that he's pissing away a possible push largely for something he could change. I can't speak for the rest of the IWC, but that's why I "turned on" him.

Supreme Olajuwon
10-13-2011, 03:14 PM
Yeah the thing with Trish at Mania really irked me. And I agree 100% that someone's relationship is their business and Morrison can let his girl fuck whoever she wants. But when it affects you professionally, especially in what was arguably one of the biggest spots in his career, then there's a problem.

Supreme Olajuwon
10-13-2011, 03:16 PM
But to keep with XL's theme, I'm sure it didn't help that he snubbed Trish, an IWC darling.

CSL
10-13-2011, 03:18 PM
I never liked JoMo/never wanted him to get a Main Event push

Supreme Olajuwon
10-13-2011, 03:26 PM
I loved Chris Candido, and his girlfriend fucked eeeeeeeeeeeeeverybody.

GD
10-15-2011, 02:38 AM
<iframe width="500" height="500" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/j2HniB_fkhQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

blak23
10-15-2011, 11:57 AM

Shamus bro

Mr. Nerfect
10-19-2011, 04:49 AM
Some interesting thoughts on Morrison posted in here. Haven't we known about the dude being the kind to let his girlfriend fuck whoever she wants for a while, though? Also, that has no effect on my thoughts towards him. Morrison might be into that sort of thing, for all I know. Also, I kind of wish he'd let me fuck Melina.

Morrison still gets things resembling pushes. People act as if the guy isn't made to look like he deserves to be in the main event. For your average fan, Morrison is still one of the "rising stars" of today's era.

XL
10-19-2011, 05:10 AM
What "things resembling pushes"? When has he been "made to look like he deserves to be in the ME"?

The one WWE Title shot they gave him - which should have been HUGE given it was against his former partner, a man that had so much heat he made a rookie (Riley) into a sensation for a couple months whilst fueding with him - was on an episode of Raw. They didn't even give him the shot at the Rumble, where the Title/undercard matches mean squat.

He lost to R-Truth when he returned from an injury caused by Truth. When does that ever happen? That's "bad" storytelling. He also lost to Christian around the same time and Christian has hardly been built up as a "legitimate Main Eventer" himself. He takes the fall in every Tag/Multi-man match they put on.

He may look "good" when losing but in no way, shape or form are WWE presenting him as a guy that should be looking at a ME spot.

And really, I have no issue with that. It's Vince's company he can push who he likes. I find more annoyance in the "I now dislike JoMo cos his woman is a ho/crazy/deluded and he let's her get away with it" line of thought.

XL
10-19-2011, 05:14 AM
-Needs to cut his hair
-Get rid of the pants and wear tights or trunks
-Go heel
So he basically needs to be The Miz?

Cool King
10-19-2011, 06:07 AM
My thoughts on Morrison and Melina are pretty much a mixture of things that have been previously said.

I like Morrison, he can be great in the ring but he just needs to calm down on his "acrobatics". I've seen his matches where he rarely flips around the ring and they're good to watch. I'm not saying he should 100% stop with those moves, but recently, almost every single move he's pulled off in his matches has been some sort of flip, corkscrew, inside-out routine, and it just gets to the point where I'm ":|" at those moves.

Also, I feel he needs a gimmick. He doesn't really have one at the moment. I don't think "Parkour" is his official gimmick of sorts, because it's just such a bad one that I don't think someone would actually think that up for an official gimmick.

Writer 1 : We need a gimmick for Morrison.

Writer 2: Let's give him a gimmick where he runs around a lot and jumps on things.

Writer 1: Perfect!

Nah. I feel like in the gimmick department, he's a lot like David Otunga.

Otunga didn't really have a gimmick after the death of Nexus. Him and McGillicutty were just "Two Guys" and nobody cared about him and the IWC always said that he needed a gimmick, but as soon as Otunga got a gimmick which consisted of giving law advice and wearing bow ties and constantly drinking from a travel mug, the IWC fell in love with the guy.

I feel like Morrison needs something like that. Just a good gimmick thrusted upon him without notice. I'm not one of those guys who thinks a heel turn is always needed for a failing face, but maybe a heel turn would help him but I don't think he needs to turn heel.

What might help him, along with a gimmick, is a change in attire. His sparkly tights still have the association of his MNM days and he's worn them for around six years now. Maybe get some normal tights, with some sort of design/logo on them and distance himself from the past. Be it face or heel, an attire change, even as little as loss of sparkles/fur can have a big impact and make people become more interested in a wrestler.

Lastly, his mic skills are poor. I'm not going to beat around the bush with that. His mic skills are most likely his Achilles' Heel. He just doesn't have the enthusiasm for what he says. For example, if he being cocky and says he's going to kick a guys ass, he'll say it in a very monotone voice, then when he's angry about something, he'll voice his opinion but it'll be in the same monotone voice. :-\

As for Melina, I've never really liked her. Her screaming was just diabolical and pissed me off like crazy, along with her constant insane murderer smile.

I don't miss her at all.

I won't comment on any of their personal lives though because it really isn't my place. :-\

Cool King
10-19-2011, 06:08 AM
Also....

Interesting how the IWC has 'never liked her' though. I remember a few years ago there was the Melina bandwagon where everyone was praising her for how hot she is, and how she's a legit 'wrestler' and not another barbie etc... ah... the internet...

Ahhhh how the bandwagon has fallen apart. I remember not too long ago, everyone on these boards were ejaculating over how hot Melina is and how talented of a female wrestler she is.

:p

Fox
10-19-2011, 08:56 AM
One thing that Paul Heyman was always very good at when it came to his wrestlers was he hid the negatives and accentuated the positives. With John Morrison, they haven't really been doing that, and its hurt him tremendously. The guy can't talk as a face. He's shown that as a cocky heel he can talk - he's no CM Punk or Miz or even Randy Orton, but he can cut a decent promo as a heel. But as a face, he's bland, boring and uninteresting, and he should be nowhere near a microphone.

What Morrison does best is put on fast paced, exciting matches. He should be showcased as such. Don't put him anywhere near a microphone. Let him be what Rob Van Dam was for ECW - a show off, cocky face, who goes out and does amazing moves in the ring and kicks people's asses. All action, very little talk.

I also agree that he needs a new look. The Morrison thing is kind of stupid considering the age of the audience, and it's also kind of stupid for those of us who DO get it, too. He's a rock star who doesn't play a fucking instrument. Yeah, THAT makes sense. His glittery pants and those gay frilly boots do nothing for his image, and neither does that horrendous furry coat he walks out in. That shit worked when he was a heel in MNM, but he's supposed to be "cool" now, and that attire is NOT cool. Look at the "cool characters" in movies and TV. None of them wear anything closely resembling what Morrison wears. He doesn't connect with the audience because there's nothing relatable about his current character.

They need to keep him off the mic, change his look and possibly his entrance music, maybe have him cut that ridiculous hair down a bit, and put him in the ring against opponents who can really "go" with him on his level.

XL
10-19-2011, 01:26 PM
He traded the fur coat for a leather one, that's something, right?