PDA

View Full Version : Thurston Moore and Kim Gordon split up - The DEATH of one of the greatest bands of all-time???

FakeLaser
10-18-2011, 02:06 AM
This is the worst ever

THE DEATH OF SONIC YOUTH???????

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EQJCyhqSZeM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="480"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uSk9YFlVrM8" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="480"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uku4MPvlnrM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="480"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/16wsRMs5LVY" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="360" width="640"></iframe>

Maybe the best band of the last 30 years.

Maybe my favorite band of all time.

The quintessential NEW YORK band.

Glad I got to see them.

RP
10-18-2011, 06:45 AM
Teen Age Riot is on my short list of about 20 songs that I will play on the jukebox at the bar when I go ot.

RP
10-18-2011, 06:49 AM
My first three go to songs for the jukebox...

Teen Age Riot- sonic youth
Story of My Life- social distortion
Bleed the Freak- aic

FakeLaser
10-18-2011, 06:13 PM
Sonic Youth basically paved the way for indie as we know it. They were the band to "make it" out of the No-Wave scene of the late 70s/early 80s in New York. They were artists and innovators, above all else, and still made great, timeless music up until this announcement. They were never a "dinosaur" band, pushing "greatest hits" albums with crap singles. Their content remained steady even as they entered their 50s. Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo are two of the greatest guitarists of all time. Kim Gordon is maybe the best frontwoman of all time.

I have called them "my favorite band" for years and years now. They redefined what can be done with guitar. They redefined what noise is. They were poets. They were artists. They were friends with William S. Burroughs. They used yr uncompromisingly. They played with Glenn Branca. They never compromised their aesthetic or values, even when they "kinda" went mainstream and tried to be remotely accessible with Dirty. They helped launch Spike Jonze's career. They painted. They made films. They ARE the New York scene.

They are the reason I use yr. They are the reason I tell people "may all yr dreams come true" instead of "have a good day" when I say goodbye. I quote them constantly, unknowingly.

Pretty much any indie band will point to them as an influence, be it musically or culturally.

I dunno. I don't know what to say. One of the most important bands of all-time. Some of my favorite tracks of all-time. Providence. Shadow of a Doubt. Inhuman. Beauty Lies In The Eye. Hey Joni. Pink Stream. Tom Violence. Hits of Sunshine (For Allen Ginsberg). Washing Machine. (I Got A) Catholic Block. Expressway To Yr Skull. Candle. Goo. New Hampshire. Eric's Trip. Dunno... can go on forever.

Just really glad I saw them at the Williamsburg Waterfront. It was maybe their last show ever in America. And the perfect way to go out. They played in the center of high culture in New York, overlooking the city that made them and they help made. Literally looking at the skyline as they played. They played songs encompassing their entire discography. Some stuff they haven't played in years, probably, like Death Valley '69, Kill Yr Idols, Tom Violence and Inhuman. And it ended with Thurston Moore screaming, slamming his guitar into the amp creating a sound drenched in reverb and distortion that could only be Sonic Youth.

And then he said "Anything is possible with the power of love."

And walked off the stage.

And that was it.

I hope that's not it.

FakeLaser
10-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Where's WeX

I know he feels me

Kapoutman
10-21-2011, 04:28 PM
I love Sonic Youth. They're the kind of band that's a bit hard to get into though. Like you need to be in a specific mood for them.

Buzzkill
10-21-2011, 10:32 PM
Honestly have never listened to a single Sonic Youth song. Not proud of that but just never entered my radar growing up

FakeLaser
10-23-2011, 08:32 PM
You should "give it a whirl"

You might like em

Kane Knight
10-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Holy shit. This is awful. Gonna go cut my wrists now.