PDA

View Full Version : NFL Blitz (XBL/PSN)

Emperor Smeat
10-18-2011, 07:12 PM
The NFL Blitz franchise is being revived with EA handing off development of a new game to their EA Tiburon studio (Madden series) and will use the NBA Jam announcer for calling the action.

Besides the usual 30-yard downs and 2 minute quarters, EA announced they are expanding and packing in a lot new features for the upcoming game such as a survival mode called Blitz Gauntlet and the use of "Blitz Bucks" as currency for the game.

Similar to Madden cards, Blitz cards will unlock players, teams, cheats, and enhancements which can be used in online and local multiplayer matches.

Also hinted but not detailed was the ability to customize game modes and mutliplayer matches revolving around a "risk-reward" style involving the betting of Blitz cards.

No actual release date was given but EA has said the game will be released around the time of this season's NFL playoffs (early 2012 release date). No platforms were revealed either but its assumed at least an Xbox 360 and PS3 version will be made.

http://www.screwattack.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/620x186_Featured_Banner/Gauntlet_638.jpg
http://www.screwattack.com/news/ea-reviving-blitz-franchise

Boomer
10-19-2011, 01:10 AM
The NFL Blitz franchise is being revived with EA handing off development of a new game to their EA Tiburon studio (Madden series) and will use the NBA Jam announcer for calling the action.

Besides the usual 30-yard downs and 2 minute quarters, EA announced they are expanding and packing in a lot new features for the upcoming game such as a survival mode called Blitz Gauntlet and the use of "Blitz Bucks" as currency for the game.

Similar to Madden cards, Blitz cards will unlock players, teams, cheats, and enhancements which can be used in online and local multiplayer matches.

Also hinted but not detailed was the ability to customize game modes and mutliplayer matches revolving around a "risk-reward" style involving the betting of Blitz cards.

No actual release date was given but EA has said the game will be released around the time of this season's NFL playoffs (early 2012 release date). No platforms were revealed either but its assumed at least an Xbox 360 and PS3 version will be made.

http://www.screwattack.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/620x186_Featured_Banner/Gauntlet_638.jpg
http://www.screwattack.com/news/ea-reviving-blitz-franchise

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Quick News Round-Up:
1) Update on the "Scrolls" lawsuit involving Mojang and Bethseda as Team Mojang won their court case allowing the company to keep the name of their current project. The court rejected all claims and momentary damages brought by Bethseda and their parent company in their attempt to have exclusive rights to the "Scrolls" name.

2) Achievements for the Xbox 360 version of Assassin's Creed Revelations were leaked with the big ones involving a lower max experience cap in multiplayer, Desmond specific achievements, and 2 related to previously unannounced historical landmarks in the game.
http://www.screwattack.com/news/spoilers-assassins-creed-revelations-achievements-leak

3) Capcom announces Monster Hunter 3G will not have online multiplayer and instead follow the PSP route of local/ad-hoc only. The game itself is a portable version of Monster Hunter Tri from the Wii but will still have 3D capabilities in exchange for the online modes the Wii and console versions of the series usually have.

Fucking hope that's a 15 buck XBL download, because I'll probably still buy it at 40 on disc. Blitz is one of my favorite franchises of all time. I could play it and Tecmo for ages and never have to play a modern football game again.

I'm also a stupid sucker for NFL Street. I love arcade sports games of just about any kind.

Kalyx triaD
10-19-2011, 07:16 AM
NFL Street 2 is the greatest football game ever made.

Boomer
10-19-2011, 10:21 AM
NFL Street 2 is the greatest football game ever made.

I hated the auto-gamebreaker from the game, so I usually play 3 if I want to go back to those games. But yeah, I think they messed up a few things in 3 that were just fine in 2 as well.

#BROKEN Hasney
10-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Dreamcast version of Blitz 2000 is the greatest football game. Fuck you all.

Boomer
10-19-2011, 11:46 AM
I own the PC version of 2000 to occasionally run on my MAME box, and I've got a Dreamcast and a copy of the game there too.

Boomer
10-19-2011, 11:49 AM
And I have a PS2 copy of 20-03 sitting next to my desk as I write this. I kinda like Blitz.

D Mac
10-19-2011, 03:25 PM
I take it there won't be bones breaking and scrodums rupturing in the new Blitz. :(

Kalyx triaD
10-19-2011, 03:27 PM
That's a good thing.

Boomer
10-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Blitz: The League wasn't awful. I actually managed a good amount of enjoyment from it. I never did much like passing in that game though, as it seemed the slow-down mechanic was one of the few ways to make it super successful.

That's probably why I like Street so much. Passing and rushing are both viable strategies. I wish Blitz had some more viable rushing options than quick passes and QB draws.

Boomer
10-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Oh yeah. Confirmed for January 3rd. 1200 MSP or 15 bucks on PSN. Day one purchase.

Kalyx triaD
10-19-2011, 04:21 PM
Personally, I found the Street series to be a better arcade football game than Blitz. It translated actual football into a simplified scheme (taught me how to read and exploit zone defenses in a way Madden never did - and it that knowledge translated to actual Madden). Blitz, while fun, was regressive. Sure it didn't aim to teach you football football like NBA Jam cared about actual basketball but Street hooked me that way.

None of this means I won't be on Blitz as the recent Jam is damned good. I just miss EA Big's offerings.

RoXer
10-19-2011, 05:13 PM
NBA Jam: OFE is really good. It's everything the disc release should have been. I was going to post about it in the "currently playing" thread once I get 200/200 gs (I know :roll: )

If there was an actual season this year and they allowed maybe 3 roster updates during the year and included a tournament or online season mode, then the 9 year old in me would have thought this was the perfect game ever.

Only gripe is the campaign ("Road Trip") took way too fucking long.

RoXer
10-19-2011, 05:14 PM
And I will also be buying Blitz day one and I will also be challenging you all and maybe even also set up a tournament.

Kalyx triaD
10-19-2011, 05:16 PM
No more tournies.

Kalyx triaD
10-19-2011, 05:17 PM
Unless it's the Arcade Edition 2012 tourny so I can defend my title.

Or a SFxT tag team tourny, which would be way more interesting but complicated as shit.

RoXer
10-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Something that I wish they could address (but won't (because they can't)) is the lag. It's what takes the fun out of NBA Jam: OFE and made Tecmo Bowl unplayable. All that is needed in NBA Jam: OFE is a quick press from one direction to the other to get open for a shot. Because of the arcade-dy-ness of the game and it's mechanics, you really need those extra .0001 of a second to properly react and defend. Even on the best connection, it's still difficult to play. But that goes with online gaming I suppose.

Fucking Tecmo Bowl was unplayable online.

RoXer
10-19-2011, 05:32 PM
And maybe make the AI ramping up the difficulty in order to keep the score close not so fucking blatent this time. When having a lead against the Heat, I cannot inbound the ball. At All. Even as Steve Nash and doing spin moves and going up or down or in between them, it won't matter. If the AI doesn't want you to have the ball then it will be so.

I hope they disguise that better in Blitz.

Boomer
10-19-2011, 05:36 PM
I played through all of NBA Jam on disc, and recently Goozexed it away. Should I even get OFE? The friend I played the game with moved way far away, but bought OFE, but I don't really want to play it all again if its really the exact same game. I watched GiantBomb play it on TNT, and besides the new ridiculous shots and the roster update, I didn't notice a big change to anything.

G
10-19-2011, 05:40 PM
I played through all of NBA Jam on disc, and recently Goozexed it away.

what. what is your name

RoXer
10-19-2011, 05:44 PM
Don't bother because the single player is too long. They made it a lot easier to team-up online so you can play with/against people but like I said the lag kind of throws off the timing of the game.

You can also invite your buddy and do co-op in the single player mode... which I guess wouldn't make single player. It's the campaign mode "Road Trip" and I think you both keep your progress on your own profile but I'm not sure. I don't see why it wouldn't do that though.

But if you just finished the disc version, then I wouldn't bother.

Boomer
10-19-2011, 05:45 PM
what. what is your name

Truitt

Boomer
10-19-2011, 05:47 PM
Don't bother because the single player is too long. They made it a lot easier to team-up online so you can play with/against people but like I said the lag kind of throws off the timing of the game.

You can also invite your buddy and do co-op in the single player mode... which I guess wouldn't make single player. It's the campaign mode "Road Trip" and I think you both keep your progress on your own profile but I'm not sure. I don't see why it wouldn't do that though.

But if you just finished the disc version, then I wouldn't bother.

That's what I figured. If my friends begs me to buy it I probably will, but I figured I was getting more points from Goozex than I would spend on the download for an updated version of the game, so I figured I might as well do it.

Kalyx triaD
10-19-2011, 10:19 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/t0rPXzweaVM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RoXer
10-19-2011, 10:52 PM
Someone should post all those posts in the Videogame News thread and post them here.

Kalyx triaD
10-19-2011, 10:59 PM
Go for it.

D Mac
10-20-2011, 12:57 AM
That's a good thing.

Not. I loved to see collarbones shattering and sticking needles in players asses to get them back on the field.

D Mac
10-20-2011, 01:00 AM
I take it there won't be bones breaking and scrodums rupturing in the new Blitz. :(
I loved to see collarbones shattering and sticking needles in players asses to get them back on the field.

Kalyx triaD
10-20-2011, 01:36 AM
I like good gameplay.

D Mac
10-20-2011, 01:42 AM
That's nice.

Emperor Smeat
10-21-2011, 12:01 AM
Take it with a grain of salt but a potential rumor concerns the NFL might force EA to take out the post-play attacks (ex. Hogan style leg drops to the head/body) in response to the new focus on concussion awareness the NFL is pushing.

If its true, then the NFL probably wants to extend the idea of no hits to the head to include even arcade-style games. It already affected Madden this year in terms of injuries.

Kalyx triaD
10-21-2011, 12:09 AM
Small price to pay.

D Mac
10-21-2011, 01:09 AM
I'll judge when the trial/demo comes out.

Reavant
10-22-2011, 05:58 PM
so dumb.... i wish midway was still around to continue blitz the league. Blitz the league 2 was even better. Plus the fictional characters based on real players and the storyline was pretty awesome.

D Mac
10-22-2011, 07:13 PM
I still have and play 2 from time to time.

Boomer
10-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Pretty sure I already watched an interview where they confirmed taking out hits post-play.

D Mac
10-23-2011, 02:42 AM
No Fun League

#BROKEN Hasney
10-23-2011, 06:01 AM
Ugh. I'd rather they dropped the NFL license rather than tone it down on their whims.

Blitz: The League was also the man.

dronepool
10-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Even though I don't watch football, I loved the NFL Blitz games back in the day, if I see it for 10 bucks or something I might be tempted.

D Mac
10-23-2011, 06:58 PM
For the record, Madden Arcade was horrible. Hope they don't rehash it or some shit.

Boomer
10-23-2011, 08:51 PM
Went back and watched the interview (its from EGM if you really want to hear it, but its not really worth posting) and he never specifically says the late-hits have been taken out. That being said, no late hits are seen in the two or three minutes of gameplay they show either.

Kalyx triaD
10-23-2011, 09:23 PM
Yeah, busted ass NFL Street engine. In fact I fear what the pussy league will do with Blitz now with that in mind.

Emperor Smeat
11-20-2011, 01:37 PM
EA finally confirms the NFL forced them to take out the late hits and other after-the-whistle sneak attacks from the game.

“They understand that it’s not a simulation and they understand that it’s over-the-top, but at the end of the day they really felt like, with the messaging that they have, and with their stance on player health and safety, that it was something that was better left out of the game at this point.”

No response on if they are also going to be forced to remove helmet-to-helmet hits or other brutal hits to the head during the in-game action.

http://www.screwattack.com/news/nfl-blitz-reboot-will-not-allow-after-whistle-attacks

Xero
11-20-2011, 01:40 PM
WWE didn't have a problem with their wrestlers looking like roid freaks in All Stars. The NFL shouldn't care about late hits. :foc:

FearedSanctity
11-21-2011, 02:18 AM
PG is killing the NFL

Emperor Smeat
12-02-2011, 05:05 PM
EA announces they are holding a public vote during this year's Spike TV's VGA show to determine who will be the cover athlete for the game.

Only 3 choices available between Roddy White, Ray Rice, and Patrick Willis.

http://www.screwattack.com/news/nfl-blitz-promoting-cover-athlete-vgas

Emperor Smeat
12-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Ray Rice won the contest for the digital cover star.

http://videogamewriters.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/NFL-blitz-cover.jpg

RoXer
01-07-2012, 05:11 PM
So this is pretty lame

Kalyx triaD
01-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Still kinda fun, just not 1200mp fun. 800mp easy. Sub-Zero is still nigh unstoppable.

SlickyTrickyDamon
01-07-2012, 05:15 PM
This makes me just want to turn on Project64 and play a real game of NFL Blitz.

D Mac
01-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Played the trial. Fun for like the first 2 minutes then gets old quick. Gonna go back to rupturing dudes scrodums in Blitz: The League 2.

G
01-07-2012, 11:17 PM
Played the trial. Fun for like the first 2 minutes then gets old quick.

so it's just like nba jam then

Boomer
01-08-2012, 10:53 AM
I think it's fine.

RoXer
01-08-2012, 01:52 PM
That's how I felt when I first heard the "no late hits" news. I didn't think it would be enough to alter the game and wasn't too worried about it. But after 2 demo games, it really is boring without late hits. Hard to believe such a small thing could alter the game but it does.

Emperor Smeat
01-08-2012, 03:58 PM
They also changed a few other things that doesn't seem big but also changed the game alot like actually going out of bounds without getting hit, lack of stuff to change in options (ex. quarter clock), and I think a ton of codes locked away.

Also seemed very weird to have a running back on the cover considering there really isn't any real rushing plays besides lateral passes which now force you out of bounds if tossed too quickly.

Boomer
01-08-2012, 04:17 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G1IOhqDm8B8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The lack of late hits doesn't bother me. Like Jeff from GB, I kinda just want to get to the next play instead of late hitting dudes.

But Blitz is one of my favorite games ever, and this is the best way for me to play it against people, with all of my college friends gone from town.