PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling Twits

kareru
10-25-2011, 10:03 AM
is the constant barrage of twitter/tweets/trends during wrestling shows annoying anyone else?

all the time it's, tweet us this,this is currently trending,this is what someone said about a particular subject regarding the current show

i mean once or twice is more than enough i understand the 'need' for these shows to interact with fans using the current social media, but watching vengeance and raw cole seems to be updating us every 5 minutes about it, i hope they are getting payed for all this free advertising, tna isn't exempt from this either they actually show tweets from fans who's opinion i could not give a fuck about.

Currently Trending:

#vegetablesongs
WE LOVE CHESTNUTS
#DominicanProblems

Supreme Olajuwon
10-25-2011, 10:35 AM
Lots of networks and shows are doing it and I don't mind it too much. That being said, Michael Cole is running it into the ground at an incredible rate of speed.

Cool King
10-25-2011, 10:36 AM
I'm pretty much the same as you, kareru.

I understand why the WWE are doing it. Interactivity and all that, but it does get annoying as you're watching the show.

I've said it before in the Vengeance Thread and in last night's Raw thread, but I really don't give a shit what people are talking about on Twitter. I wouldn't blame Cole for his constant updates on Twitter though, as he's only saying what Vince wants him to say but recently, especially last night, Cole's role seemed to be more of "Twitter Updater" than "Play-by-play Commentator" as he very rarely talked about what was going on in the matches.

I heard more from Cole last night about Twitter and what was "trending" than I did what was actually happening on the show.

I'm not saying they should stop the Twitter thing all together, but maybe just tone it down. Maybe at the start of the shows, show what the hashtags for the night are, then halfway through the show, show what's been "trending" and that's it.

Also, I wouldn't say I'm worried, as such, but it's got me thinking about the future of "The Promo" as last night and at Vengeance, they showed "tweets" from Zack Ryder and Wade Barrett talking about their matches, where usually there would be a little promo of them talking to the camera as they walked to the ring.

I would much rather hear and see wrestlers talking, than read what they typed up in their spare time. Also, you can't really get emotions across via text, so if a wrestler was supposed to be crazy and angry going into the match and claiming he's willing to maim his opponent, you couldn't really tell that by reading. You would have to see his face and hear his voice.

#BROKEN Hasney
10-25-2011, 10:41 AM
I think it was Lagana that said they should just put the logos and account names up, but never verbally reference them. Just nonchalantly popping up would give it a slight air of cool and curiosity rather than the visual and audio working in a tag team to ram it down your throat that you should be using this.

That I totally agree with.

ZosoMetalManiac
10-25-2011, 10:59 AM
I think the Twitter thing is kind of neat in a sense because it lets the fans and wrestlers interact. However, if I'm watching a show, I don't need to hear about Twitter all night long from the damn commentator. If I cared that much, I'd just go on Twitter. Give a few updates if you want throughout the night, but don't make it the basis for commentary when you have wrestlers in the ring working.

Innovator
10-25-2011, 11:07 AM
It's like the uncool dad who two years later finally jumps on the "technology bandwagon".

Wake Up Call
10-25-2011, 11:22 AM
#Getusedtoittwitterisnotgoinganywhere

Chuck Jones
10-25-2011, 11:36 AM
It's like the uncool dad who two years later finally jumps on the "technology bandwagon".

Hasn't than been the story of Vince for at least the past decade? At least five-ten years behind pop culture and technology?

Xero
10-25-2011, 11:37 AM
From PWInsider:

As many of you have notice, WWE has taken to promoting what WWE-centric personalities and topics are trending on Twitter with on screen graphics and mentions during comments, a promotion that began on Sunday's Vengeance PPV.

It would appear that the cross-promotion is not the company looking to show how hip they are, but is instead could be part of a deal to cross-promote Twitter.

In recent weeks, it was revealed that one of the things Twitter is doing to remain relevant and grow is to reach out to influential personalities, including actors, to get them on board with the micro-blogging service as a way to grow users and eventually design ways to advertise directly to their followers. The personalities who do so would then receive better "real estate" in Twitter searches.

It's certainly not a stretch to see WWE's integration of Twitter into their programming as the company's version of exactly that strategy, pushing their own "Universe" towards that end. WWE moves their audience to join Twitter and utilize its services and in turn, their brand awareness within Twitter users and searches grow, helping make the company get in front of new eyeballs beyond their own audience.

Mike the Metal Ed
10-25-2011, 11:39 AM
To follow a live discussion of this thread, and others, follow hashtag #TPWWForums.

What Would Kevin Do?
10-25-2011, 11:57 AM
The "this is now trending on Twitter" crap is lame, as is the "tweet @WWE #raw." Shut up.

I don't mind having the twitter names on the entrance plates.

I actually really like the little Twitter comments before some of the matches. I don't think it should ever replace the occasional pre-match promo, but it's a neat idea. Instead of the announcer saying "Hey, I talked to DZ before this match and he said..." it's a neat little way to get some info/insight before the match on the wrestler's thoughts. Plus, it lets a little personality sneak through.

Skippord
10-25-2011, 12:01 PM
it would be ok if Michael Cole weren't completely insufferable

Blakeamus
10-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Just like a WWE Network...could you see WWE creating their own social network in a few years? Might be idiotic and would fail just like XFL.

CSL
10-25-2011, 01:26 PM
I just don't care

Xero
10-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Just like a WWE Network...could you see WWE creating their own social network in a few years? Might be idiotic and would fail just like XFL.

They tried that with "WWE Universe". It failed.

Corporate CockSnogger
10-25-2011, 01:36 PM
Yeah I'm fine with it until Michael Cole blirts out some little twitter joke aimed at Jim Ross or Lawler. And I'm not even a big Cole-hater like some people, the way he talks about twitter just gets a bit irritating.

#BROKEN Hasney
10-25-2011, 01:36 PM
They tried that with "WWE Universe". It failed.

That was the best week ever on wwe.com though. They didn't realise it needed heavy moderation.

Xero
10-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Did it beat fans posting nudes of Tiffany and Chyna on the Live Events site?

#BROKEN Hasney
10-25-2011, 01:40 PM
It had that and just so much more. There was a thread on it, wonder if I could find it.

#BROKEN Hasney
10-25-2011, 01:41 PM
I think Tiffany was replaced with Mickie James back then though.

Lock Jaw
10-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Does not really bother me at all, to be honest.

#BROKEN Hasney
10-25-2011, 02:04 PM
http://www.tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?p=2126716

Gonna see if any of the links are on the internet archive.

Emperor Smeat
10-25-2011, 02:49 PM
I like the idea of the WWE using Twitter and other internet services considering in the past Vince or the WWE in general hated the internet (mainly due to spoilers and news).

Only thing I hated was the sudden Twitter feud between JR and Cole during the whole the show because Cole couldn't stop talking about it and decided to randomly interrupt the show to announce he wanted a match with JR. The crowd didn't react until Cole threatened to quit because they were not following the "feud" during the show.

dhellova guy
10-25-2011, 09:00 PM
Social media in general gets on my nerves

Anybody Thrilla
10-26-2011, 02:25 AM
This is all such a non-factor to me that I'm a little shocked that anyone is bothered by it. I actually like that they give the actual names for wrestler accounts, just so you know you have the REAL one. It doesn't detract from the action at all.

Anybody Thrilla
10-26-2011, 02:27 AM
It's also another outlet to sell storylines, which is good for RAW, considering they're working Smackdown guys over there with NO time added for these "Supershows". The more annoying thing to me is the influx of tag matches with people who have little-to-no reason to be teaming just to squeeze more people into the show.

Autobahn
10-26-2011, 06:10 AM

Amazing. Wish I was around to see this :lol:

Autobahn
10-26-2011, 06:24 AM
Looks like I didn't need to be around at the time after all...
http://web.archive.org/web/20080421184454/http://fans.wwe.com/go/forum/viewboard

Xero
10-26-2011, 01:14 PM
YEAH HE'S THE ANIMAL, PUNISHMENT UNLEASHED! Totally agree! When you're that musclebound, roided and that full of disapproving looks you're clearly better than everyone and don't need to prove it!

Shoulder block! Spear! Spinebuster! Powerbomb! Shoulder block! Shoulder block! AWESOME!

WM 25 Main Event, John Cena vs Batista in a dream match for the WWE Championship. There is no better way to end the biggest WM ever.

lol

Theo Dious
10-26-2011, 10:55 PM
This is all such a non-factor to me that I'm a little shocked that anyone is bothered by it.

I don't care about mentioning wrestlers' official accounts or what is or isn't trending, but Cole's "King of Tweets" bit, the "banter" between him and Lawler, and the Cole/JR "Twitter Feud" are seriously fucking obnoxious.

Anybody Thrilla
10-27-2011, 02:05 AM
For what reason, though? Is it really so bad? It's current, and it's another platform to build feuds.

Anybody Thrilla
10-27-2011, 02:06 AM
Is your problem with Twitter or with Michael Cole? He's SUPPOSED to be obnoxious.

#BROKEN Hasney
10-27-2011, 03:49 AM
Right, but it doesn't work. When King was heel and obnoxious, he made jokes. When Heyman was heel and obnoxious, he called the action and had a brief argument with JR and moved back to the match.

Michael Cole makes matches unwatchable. He was bad before as a straight play-by-play guy, but now adding yelling at people and getting himself over doesn't make me hate him, just stop watching.

owenbrown
10-27-2011, 05:36 AM

lmfao I forgot about this

Anybody Thrilla
10-27-2011, 05:44 AM
Right, but it doesn't work. When King was heel and obnoxious, he made jokes. When Heyman was heel and obnoxious, he called the action and had a brief argument with JR and moved back to the match.

Michael Cole makes matches unwatchable. He was bad before as a straight play-by-play guy, but now adding yelling at people and getting himself over doesn't make me hate him, just stop watching.

Michael Cole makes jokes all the time. He does seem more over the top with it on Raw, but on Smackdown, he's a lot more subdued. "Unwatchable" is a pretty subjective term, because I've never once thought about not watching a match just because Cole was on commentary.

I think we can all agree that he's not doing anything that he's not supposed to do, or he'd be yanked from the booth immediately. As far as "getting himself over", how many times over the years did Jerry Lawler step into the ring and win matches that he had absolutely no business winning? That puts people over WAY more than some dude on commentary talking shit.

I feel that Michael Cole has been highly entertaining since his "transformation", so I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's "not working" just because you don't like it.

owenbrown
10-27-2011, 05:44 AM
lol the fuck was I smoking in that thread?

Anybody Thrilla
10-27-2011, 05:46 AM
The fact that you would even say that he makes matches "unwatchable" should really be proof that it IS working. Can you honestly say that you've ever turned off a match because he was commentating? He's a heel that even smarks like us will boo. With all the CM Punk stuff, WWE clearly has a sense of what the IWC likes/doesn't. Who's to say they're not taking it a step further and pissing the IWC off on purpose? Just more points to consider here.

#BROKEN Hasney
10-27-2011, 06:54 AM
Yes, in fact I've fast forwarded through some pretty great matches on Raw just to get to the promos where Cole isn't talking.

He is more subdued on SD and PPV's, but that's mainly Booker not letting him speak. Which is beautiful.

#BROKEN Hasney
10-27-2011, 07:01 AM
Bodyslam... COVER! NEW CHAMPION! NEW CHAMPION! oo one count.

I know he did that even before this and it was bad then, but now he'll start yelling about The Miz and he does not have a voice suitable for shouting. It's like my ears are bleeding.

Next Big Thing
10-27-2011, 07:49 AM
Michael Cole makes jokes all the time. He does seem more over the top with it on Raw, but on Smackdown, he's a lot more subdued. "Unwatchable" is a pretty subjective term, because I've never once thought about not watching a match just because Cole was on commentary.

I think we can all agree that he's not doing anything that he's not supposed to do, or he'd be yanked from the booth immediately. As far as "getting himself over", how many times over the years did Jerry Lawler step into the ring and win matches that he had absolutely no business winning? That puts people over WAY more than some dude on commentary talking shit.

I feel that Michael Cole has been highly entertaining since his "transformation", so I wouldn't go as far as to say that it's "not working" just because you don't like it.

I gotta disagree with you here ABT. There's a difference between being an obnoxious character to get under the skin of the faces, your fellow commentator and the viewers and being an obnoxious character to the point where it completely distracts from the match and makes you want to watch the show on mute.

The great antagonists like Lawler and Heenan did so within the context of the match. If Heenan wanted to take a shot at Jim Ross during a Ted Dibiase match, he'd say something like, "That fan has no right to boo the Million Dollar Man. He's probably only got $8 in his pocket. Then again, $8 would probably get you about 18 acres of land in Oklahoma, right J.R." Cole at times goes on tangents that have absolutely nothing to do with the current guys in the ring and it's not necessary for him to do that let alone scream it, in order to get himself over.

Plus Lawler was a legit wrestler. When he gets in the ring for something like his feud with Bret Hart or the Miz, even though he has no business wrestling you can appreciate him as a heel or empathize with him as a face. Cole in a wrestling singlet bouncing around like an idiot for 90% of a match is a waste of time.

bigslimjj
10-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Josh matthews is their best "weekly" play by play guy. I say weekly due to JR's on again off again status. But seriosly bro,fuck mikey cole

Anybody Thrilla
10-28-2011, 03:07 AM
Lawler may have been a "legit" wrestler, but Cole has never stepped outside of his capacity level for a fight. He thought Lawler was washed up, and was proven wrong. J.R. is an even more logical beef for him. Even when Daniel Bryan got in his face on NXT, he was petrified. I think he's just a very good heel.