PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody else think Randy Orton is doing great work right now?

Anybody Thrilla
11-05-2011, 12:15 PM
Not too many people seem to be talking about The Apex Predator around these parts, but I really like what they've been doing with him. He hasn't been doing a ton in the promo department (which adds to his character, I think), and he's just been on FIRE in his matches. Seems truly focused/demented, and it's fucking working. I've been an on and off Orton fan for a while, but this might be his best work ever.

Your thoughts on the current Randy Orton, please.

Anybody Thrilla
11-05-2011, 12:51 PM
Maybe I'm the only one.

Blakeamus
11-05-2011, 12:57 PM
I really think since his stuff with CM Punk and Nexus at the beginning of the year, he's been on fire. The WHC picture was hot with him and Christian tearing it up for the summer months and he pulled great matches with Mark Henry. And it hasn't stop there at all. Now Orton is having great matches with Cody Rhodes. In my eyes, Randy Orton stepped up his game 10x in 2011. I would argue with anyone who thinks this man isn't this years Wrestler of the Year.

Supreme Olajuwon
11-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Been an Orton fan since Wrestlemania. He's been superb.

Anybody Thrilla
11-05-2011, 01:10 PM
I think his matches with Rhodes are almost better than his matches with Christian.

D Mac
11-05-2011, 01:18 PM
He's from Missouri, so instant greatness.

Anybody Thrilla
11-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Possibly.

http://demencha.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/tech6sm-thumb-400x331.jpg

ace3025
11-05-2011, 01:44 PM
I agree, lately he has definitely stepped it up! Since the move to Smackdown he has been unstoppable. He is doing great work that makes him look awesome, but at the same time he is turning the young/less meaningful talent into main eventers. Him losing to Henry made me believe Henry was a beast, and his matches with rhodes (winning or losing) have been great!!

Also agree that the less promo time the better for him

D Mac
11-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Who's that ABT? I'm sure he's great, just doesn't ring a bell.

Anybody Thrilla
11-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Tech N9ne, you nincompoop. How do you claim KC and not know about him? Even BDC knows who he is.

Emperor Smeat
11-05-2011, 02:25 PM
He still is a bit flat with his promos but his matches improved a lot once the RKO was made into an unpredictable move unlike Cena who almost always uses the same setup for his finisher.

jskinnyg
11-05-2011, 02:29 PM
I really think since his stuff with CM Punk and Nexus at the beginning of the year, he's been on fire. The WHC picture was hot with him and Christian tearing it up for the summer months and he pulled great matches with Mark Henry. And it hasn't stop there at all. Now Orton is having great matches with Cody Rhodes. In my eyes, Randy Orton stepped up his game 10x in 2011. I would argue with anyone who thinks this man isn't this years Wrestler of the Year.

And pulling great matches off with Sexual Chocolate are hard to do...

tjmidnight420
11-05-2011, 02:42 PM
pulling great matches off with Sexual Chocolate are hard to do...

That's pretty much all. Orton's really come into his own. I agree with ABT entiriely about the promos.

Gertner
11-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Orton has always been pretty great

Nicky Fives
11-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Orton has always been pretty great

And relatively under-appreciated.....

Rammsteinmad
11-05-2011, 02:56 PM
I made a Orton/Christian feud appreciation thread a while back, but yeah, Orton has been on fire since his move to Smackdown. He's really stepped up his ring-work and has his Viper/Apex-Predator persona nailed perfectly.

His feud with Christian could arguably be feud of the year, he got a watchable rivalry out of Mark Henry, and now his feud with Rhodes has basically made Rhodes a main-eventer.

My only real complaint is that it wasn't Orton and Christian in HIAC, I feel their rivalry warranted it a lot more than Orton and Henry. :(

Hadouken
11-05-2011, 04:16 PM
I think Orton is at the best he has ever been. Even better than the legend killer gimmick.

XCaliber
11-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Orton's been great for years hence why he is one of my favorite wrestlers he's really taken off since he'd formed Legacy I think.

Mr. Pierre
11-05-2011, 04:39 PM
Orton is WWE's workhorse. Always been a huge fan of his, but right now, he's better than ever. They are doing a great job of hiding his weakness (in-ring promos) and displaying his strengths (everything else). When his music cues, I make sure I'm not going anywhere because regardless of his opponent, he's going to put on an awesome show.

The stories that his matches tell make sense based off of moves, body language, expressions, etc. If he hasn't "peaked" already, then that's kind of scary, because he's been on fire. :y:

Kane Knight
11-05-2011, 05:58 PM
Tech N9ne, you nincompoop. How do you claim KC and not know about him? Even BDC knows who he is.

BDC had to be told by a Northerner.

Mr. Nerfect
11-05-2011, 10:05 PM
Orton has been doing great work lately. I'm not going to lie, though -- I personally skip through his matches sometimes. It's not that I hate the dude or don't recognise him as good; it's just a matter of taste.

That being said, I really want to see Orton win back the World Heavyweight Title from Mark Henry soon, and for Orton vs. Daniel Bryan to be SmackDown!'s main event at WrestleMania. That match would be absolutely tremendous and have me glued.

KaosDarksol
11-06-2011, 12:25 AM
The people he has been working with make him look good

Rock Bottom
11-06-2011, 12:37 AM

It's true. People have gone out of their way to make Randy look like a God in the ring. They should all receive a fair amount of credit for getting Orton to where he is today. That being said, Orton did a really good job of putting Mark Henry over.

Orton has the crowd behind him. He's proven that he can be both a face and a heel. His ring skills are solid and he, alongside the announce team, does a good job of presenting his gimmick. I'm not really sure what the future holds for him, but he has a solid fan base and I count myself as an Orton fan.

One of the biggest complaints about Randy Orton is that he can be boring, one-dimensional, and that his promos can be dull. I never find myself too bored, because Orton is a student of the psychology that goes into these feuds and matches. He plays his part very well. If that's what works for him, that's what works for him. Future Hall of Famer.

XL
11-06-2011, 03:25 AM
It was easy to say that when he was in there with Punk and Christian (and even Ziggler on the 2 occasions they've faced off) but when the guy can have a good match with Mark Henry you kinda have to admit that the guy wasn't being carried through those earlier fueds.

I'd guess that working with the likes of Punk and Christian has made Orton raise his game/he had learned a thing or two from them.

Anybody Thrilla
11-06-2011, 04:15 AM
Orton has worked with a ton of great opponents over the years. I think he probably learned the most from his feud with The Undertaker (and of course there's no way to validate that, just my thoughts), which is weird for me to say because I thought he severely tapered off after that feud. At one point, I thought his main event days were over, but he bounced back in a strong way, and he's beyond just "a solid hand" anymore.

If it wasn't the feud with Taker, it could have possibly been the feud with Mick Foley.

Mr. Nerfect
11-06-2011, 07:42 PM
That match at Backlash 2004 was one of the most important moments in Orton's career, no doubt. I also kinda like that Cody Rhodes is having an Intercontinental Championship reign that is sort of following the same trend as Orton's. I kind of wish that their Street Fight was for the title, though, and that Wade Barrett or someone helped out Rhodes to retain.

XL
11-06-2011, 08:23 PM
The fued with Foley put Orton "over the top" and the one with Taker helped establish him as a Main Event player but neither set the in-ring standard that we've come to expect from Orton.

GD
11-06-2011, 11:34 PM
Randy Orton has been a consistent performer. He is smooth in the ring and fans of all ages like him. His recent feud with Cody Rhodes is a delight. Not as good as I expected it to be, but I am quite happy.

The only time he got on my nerves was when he defeated Christian for the World's Heavyweight title on Smackdown. Other than that, I love to see him do his thing in the ring.

ortonisawful
11-23-2011, 11:50 PM
I find Orton as captivating as gut rot. I'm still waiting for the day that someone explains to me why the backbreaker variant he does isn't his finisher, because it actually looks like a capable finisher. That poor man's Ace Crusher he so desperately wants to be the Diamond Cutter of the new era is as much of a farce as the booking committee and Cole's heel shtick put together. In short, he's Justin Credible's mic skills married to Billy Gunn's workrate, and that's being exceptionally kind. We're not in the Age of Orton, we're in the Age of Medicore.

And the truly depressing part is, Cena's worse in the ring.

Lock Jaw
11-24-2011, 12:18 AM
Billy Gunn had exceptional workrate.

Juan
11-24-2011, 01:41 AM
I find Orton as captivating as gut rot. I'm still waiting for the day that someone explains to me why the backbreaker variant he does isn't his finisher, because it actually looks like a capable finisher. That poor man's Ace Crusher he so desperately wants to be the Diamond Cutter of the new era is as much of a farce as the booking committee and Cole's heel shtick put together. In short, he's Justin Credible's mic skills married to Billy Gunn's workrate, and that's being exceptionally kind. We're not in the Age of Orton, we're in the Age of Medicore.

Smark alert

Skippord
11-24-2011, 01:45 AM
that was beautifully written though

Anybody Thrilla
11-24-2011, 01:25 PM

I appreciate your thoughts on the matter. I am not in accordance with your views, but I will defend to the death your right to express them.

I would, however, like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Anybody Thrilla
11-24-2011, 01:27 PM
I have seen people get more over with much weaker-looking finishers, though.

MoFo
11-24-2011, 02:06 PM
The RKO is awesome, ban that fucking tard.

Anybody Thrilla
11-24-2011, 02:13 PM
Don't you think that would be a tad extreme, MoFo?

MoFo
11-24-2011, 07:49 PM
Don't you think that would be a tad extreme, MoFo?

Would u rly miss this?

Skippord
11-24-2011, 08:06 PM
seriously tell me that is not phenomenally written.

Avenger
11-24-2011, 08:17 PM
ortonisawful is CM Punk I think

Triple Naitch
11-24-2011, 08:48 PM
Initially, I thought Orton was going to be boring as a face but he has really been doing his best work for the past year.