PDA

View Full Version : Before or After: The Giant/Big Show

TheChamp
11-05-2011, 11:39 PM
“Before or After” returns with another edition, and WEEEEEEEELLLLL!!!! WELL IT’S THE BIG SHOW’S TURN ON BoE!!!!! Was Big Show (or The Giant) better before or after he became John Cena’s stepping stone at WrestleMania 20?

KaosDarksol
11-06-2011, 12:21 AM
Before. Once he put cena over all he really did was put people over, but then again he is good at it

Triple Naitch
11-06-2011, 12:23 AM
Before by far.

Lock Jaw
11-06-2011, 12:25 AM
My two favorite Big Show incarnations are:

- Paul Heyman era Smackdown. Where he wore large suits, feuded with Brock, and had Heyman as a manger for awhile.

- His Undisputed Tag Team Runs with Chris Jericho and The Miz.

Honorable Mention:

- That time he exploded from a statue in the Dungeon of Doom, killed Hulk Hogan, and laughed like a maniac.

El Fangel
11-06-2011, 12:27 AM
It seemed/s to be a right of passage for any future star to take down the Big Show at some point in their career.

Rock Bottom
11-06-2011, 12:30 AM
Before. I give the big guy credit though. There's only so much you can really do with him, but he's been a pretty solid guy all the way through. He's tried to reinvent himself, and sometimes it lasted a bit, although it's usually just some alternation between a monster and a funny guy. I thought he was misused for a while. I'm not a fan of that cap he wears now either, it looks ridiculous.

Shisen Kopf
11-06-2011, 12:51 AM
Rasslin wise he was way better before but for everything else he's more enjoyable after he left WCW.

Aguakate
11-06-2011, 12:52 AM
Before.

Not only before WM20...

...Before WWF/E.

Tazz Dan
11-06-2011, 01:07 AM
You realise before WMXX does include WCW right? Cause it was before that.

Emperor Smeat
11-06-2011, 01:11 AM
Before.

He had some good moments after such as helping build up the ECW brand by being its champion and his tag team moments with Miz and Jericho but he had a lot more memorable moments before WM 20 and his time in WCW.

blak23
11-06-2011, 01:50 AM
before

Rock Bottom
11-06-2011, 01:41 AM
You realise before WMXX does include WCW right? Cause it was before that.

Weapons aren't only welcomed...

...They're allowed.

Rock Bottom
11-06-2011, 01:41 AM
In all seriousness though, his statement makes sense.

Rock Bottom
11-06-2011, 01:42 AM
I really hated the Big Show/Jericho ambiguously gay duo thing.

Tazz Dan
11-06-2011, 02:17 AM

The question is, 'Was Big Show/The Giant better before or after his WMXX match with Cena'. If he believes he was better in WCW than he was in WWF/E before that match, it is still before said match. If question had on been 'Was Big Show/The Giant better in WWF/E before or after his match with Cena' then it would make sense.

Seth82
11-06-2011, 02:33 AM
definitely before.

loved his run as Champ in WCW.

Rammsteinmad
11-06-2011, 03:43 AM
Before, but he's had some pretty good moments since then too.

RiX1024
11-06-2011, 05:14 AM
Before it is.

Nicky Fives
11-06-2011, 08:01 AM
before.....

Sixx
11-06-2011, 09:23 AM
I want to punch you in the spleen for that font.

Shisen Kopf
11-06-2011, 10:19 AM

Serious business this rasslin. Wooooo!

#BROKEN Hasney
11-06-2011, 11:21 AM
Before he joined WWE, let alone this one minor incident.

Pintint
11-06-2011, 11:52 AM
I agree, Show was at his best before he joined the WWE.

Evil Vito
11-06-2011, 12:01 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Definitely before. Once 2006 came along and he wound up in ECW, he was horrendously out of shape - even by big guy standards. Taking that year or so off was a brilliant move on his part.

He's a very entertaining guy and he can be very funny as well. Love the Big Show. But yeah, he was at his best before WM 20.</font>

DLVH84
11-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Before, hands down. Especially in his early days in WCW, he was agile for a giant.

weather vane
11-06-2011, 12:52 PM
<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RRM2aBbz_8A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Gertner
11-06-2011, 01:38 PM

I calculated his workrate on my Workrateometer and it was 5.6 in WCW compared to 3.4 in the WWF/E, so I'd have to say before.

JimmyMess
11-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Before.

Big Show with hair > Bald Show

XL
11-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Before, hands down. Especially in his early days in WCW, he was agile for a giant.
But did he use a Spinning Heel Kick?

Aguakate
11-07-2011, 08:29 AM
He was better in WCW, but I always had this feeling that he was picked on by Hall and Nash backstage.

DLVH84
11-07-2011, 10:38 AM
But did he use a Spinning Heel Kick?

No, but he did an awesome missile dropkick.

Mr. Nerfect
11-07-2011, 07:37 PM
I never really saw the dude in WCW, but he was reportedly a killer. Didn't he like win the WCW Championship in his first match?

That being said, I think Big Show now has found a level of mastery over his craft -- not to the point where he is having five-star matches, or anything; but he just gets everything. There were times when Big Show used to be horrible and lost in the shuffle (WWE circa 2001-2002 until Heyman took over his booking).

Personally, I think Show still has got a lot to offer the business, and has some great moments to come. Some random suggestions for Big Show's future:

* A feud with Dolph Ziggler. Mr. Perfection works great with larger opponents. Ziggler's matches with Kane were far better than they had any right to be. Ziggler could tell a great story with Big Show, being the annoying mosquito that Show can't swat. It could also raise Ziggler's stock as a legitimate threat to any World Title. Show should be making some stars, and Ziggler is a great candidate for that.

* A team with Zack Ryder. Show working in tag teams has been done with so many guys over the years, and that makes perfect sense. It's a great way to keep Show on television, letting him be dominant, but without booking the show around him. A Ryder/Big Show tag team would not only be super-over, but it could lend credibility to Zack Ryder, and merely give Show something to do.

Ryder & Show versus Curt Hawkins & Tyler Reks could be a great little tag team feud on RAW. Ryder gets beaten up by his former partner and his monster partner, before Ryder tags in The Giant who kills both heels dead.

But yeah, I'm actually going to lock in after. Show was booked to be a monster in ECW, and there have been moments as a face where I have literally marked out for the dude. I never got to do that in his earlier WWE career. But I understand why people are saying before. It's just my personal view.

DLVH84
11-07-2011, 08:26 PM
I never really saw the dude in WCW, but he was reportedly a killer. Didn't he like win the WCW Championship in his first match?

That being said, I think Big Show now has found a level of mastery over his craft -- not to the point where he is having five-star matches, or anything; but he just gets everything. There were times when Big Show used to be horrible and lost in the shuffle (WWE circa 2001-2002 until Heyman took over his booking).

Personally, I think Show still has got a lot to offer the business, and has some great moments to come. Some random suggestions for Big Show's future:

* A feud with Dolph Ziggler. Mr. Perfection works great with larger opponents. Ziggler's matches with Kane were far better than they had any right to be. Ziggler could tell a great story with Big Show, being the annoying mosquito that Show can't swat. It could also raise Ziggler's stock as a legitimate threat to any World Title. Show should be making some stars, and Ziggler is a great candidate for that.

* A team with Zack Ryder. Show working in tag teams has been done with so many guys over the years, and that makes perfect sense. It's a great way to keep Show on television, letting him be dominant, but without booking the show around him. A Ryder/Big Show tag team would not only be super-over, but it could lend credibility to Zack Ryder, and merely give Show something to do.

Ryder & Show versus Curt Hawkins & Tyler Reks could be a great little tag team feud on RAW. Ryder gets beaten up by his former partner and his monster partner, before Ryder tags in The Giant who kills both heels dead.

But yeah, I'm actually going to lock in after. Show was booked to be a monster in ECW, and there have been moments as a face where I have literally marked out for the dude. I never got to do that in his earlier WWE career. But I understand why people are saying before. It's just my personal view.

Yes, he did win the title on his first wrestling match at Halloween Havoc on October 29, 1995, winning by disqualification, thanks to the interference of Jimmy Hart, who revealed the next night on Nitro, erased the no-disqualification rule and the title would change hands on a disqualification or countout.

However, he was stripped of the title on Nitro on November 6, 1995, due to the controversial finish at Halloween Havoc.

Gertner
11-08-2011, 11:22 PM

I was literally laughing at this for 15 minutes

wwe2222
11-09-2011, 12:00 AM
I enjoyed him most when he first joined WWE and when they called him Big Nasty Paul Wight. I never did enjoy the Big Show moniker