PDA

View Full Version : Hogan and Austin getting booed as faces

BollywoodSingh
11-22-2011, 01:16 AM
Babyfaces like The Rock, John Cena, Goldberg, and Shawn Michaels have been heavily booed by the crowd every now and then in their careers...but has this ever happened to babyface Austin or babyface Hogan?

I'm thinking it happened to Hogan in WCW sometime before the nWo started but I'm not sure. I don't ever remember Austin getting booed as a face though.

Juan
11-22-2011, 01:35 AM
You answered your own questions at the end there.

Heyman
11-22-2011, 05:31 AM
Babyfaces like The Rock, John Cena, Goldberg, and Shawn Michaels have been heavily booed by the crowd every now and then in their careers...but has this ever happened to babyface Austin or babyface Hogan?

I'm thinking it happened to Hogan in WCW sometime before the nWo started but I'm not sure. I don't ever remember Austin getting booed as a face though.

You are correct.

I will say this about Austin though. Once the WWE turned him back into a face after Survivor Series 2001, his pops started to die down considerably. Actually - scratch that. Austin was still getting great pops with his 'bionic redneck' theme but the fans lost interest after he went back to his OLLLLLD character and OLLLLLD theme music.

Fans cheered him out of respect, but the pops were relatively lukewarm. By the time 2002 Royal Rumble hit, Austin was playing 3rd fiddle to The Rock and Triple H as faces. Austin grew frustrated with management and that is how the rift slowly started.

Austin got popped huge when he returned in 2003, but he hasn't received nearly the same pops ever since. Even now whenever he returns, they are lukewarn pops at best.......nowhere near the level of The Rock and Hogan. It's too bad as well....seeing as how Austin, in his prime, was bigger than both The Rock and Hogan in their primes.

whiteyford
11-22-2011, 06:19 AM
I don't think Austin gets the same level of pops as Rock/Hogan solely because he makes more appearences than either, he's never really been away from the WWE for an extended period since he retired and you know when he comes back its not to wrestle.

JimmyMess
11-22-2011, 06:53 AM
Plus Austin has never been one for all the pomp and circumstance that comes with a big return. He's just "play my music" and does his thing.

So when he makes returns every now and then he goes right down to business.

Steveviscious89
11-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Yeah, Hogan was getting very little positive cheers from crowds during his time before the nWo. They were just sick of him and it was getting pretty stale with the whole dungeon of doom thing. I don't remember Austin ever getting booed for no reason. His character just wasn't built to be booed.

Lock Jaw
11-22-2011, 01:02 PM
All faces get booed in Canada. Especially during 1997.

OldSchoolFan
11-22-2011, 01:42 PM
I don't think Austin gets the same level of pops as Rock/Hogan solely because he makes more appearences than either, he's never really been away from the WWE for an extended period since he retired and you know when he comes back its not to wrestle.

Doesn't Hogan appear regularly on Impact?

JimmyMess
11-22-2011, 01:44 PM
Austin and Cena have the same mentality in their characters that they don't care if they are boo'd or cheered... but Austin never spoke about it. He just did his thing, and literally didn't give a fuck as a character, and they loved it. Anti-hero works no matter how much you push a super-baby face to be "the guy"

whiteyford
11-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Doesn't Hogan appear regularly on Impact?

I completely blanked that out of my mind.

OldSchoolFan
11-22-2011, 04:45 PM
I completely blanked that out of my mind.

Well the 6 Impact fans will be pissed to know that...

Stickman
11-23-2011, 01:31 AM
I cant remember a lukewarm Austin reaction at all, always massive pops.

Theo Dious
11-23-2011, 11:10 PM
An Austin pop that is considered lukewarm is only lukewarm compared to his hottest pops. Kind of like when they refer to the sun as being "cold" compared to some other stars.

Gerard
11-24-2011, 10:55 AM
Survivor series 91 i recall a small chunk of the crowd booing Hogan and cheering for taker, had their own urns and everything.

Kane Knight
11-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Survivor series 91 i recall a small chunk of the crowd booing Hogan and cheering for taker, had their own urns and everything.

You sure they weren't trying to boo urns?

Aguakate
11-25-2011, 09:24 PM
I don't even remember why WWE decided to have Austin turn heel in 2001, I don't ever remember the fans booing him prior to that.

Maybe Vince wanted to shake things up a bit, not go with the same Austin vs McMahon storyline.

It WORKED, I mean, I loved Austin as a heel in 2001, it's just, I don't think it was because he'd run his course and fans were booing him.

#BROKEN Hasney
11-27-2011, 03:30 AM

Now I have an image in my head of kids stealing their grandmas ashes from the house and taking it to a wrestling event :'(

Zeeboe
02-12-2012, 04:22 PM
Don't you recall the "What" era Heyman in early 2002? Austin was so over that other wrestlers who had nothing to do with Stone Cold were getting "What" chants directed at them.

All faces get booed in Canada. Especially during 1997.

Only the ones who were feuding with Bret Hart.

Rollermacka
02-13-2012, 10:58 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Vly0lzHQoAM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
There are some very apparent booes for Hogan durring this promo