PDA

View Full Version : [spoiler]Smackdown 1/06[/spoiler]

Juan
01-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Opener was the WWE Intercontinental Title bout between Champion Cody Rhodes and Booker T. Arena was really smoke filled due to the opening fireworks. Fans are on to clear the air and it is getting cold in the Verizon Arena!

Solid back and forth. Good near fall sequence ends when Rhodes catches Booker in the face with his springboard kick off the ropes and gets the pin to retain IC Title.

Commercial airs for RAW showcasing Chris Jericho's return and asking what Y2J will have to say this Monday night.

*Backstage Cody Rhodes runs into his brother Dustin. Cody tells Dustin that he has accomplished more than the former Goldust ever did and that he is about to surpass their father Dusty.

*Zack Ryder is shown in Teddy Long's office talking about being Teddy's assistant general manager. Teddy corrected Zack and said he was the assistant to the GM. Zack said as United States Champion he is too busy and mentioned recommending a replacement as Drew McIntyre walked in. Teddy questioned the recommendation and Zack said he does not recommend Drew as Santino Marella comes in. Dialogue back and forth with Santino reminding Teddy he was supposed to fire Drew for losing last week. Out of this a match is set up with Drew vs Santino. If Santino wins he will be the assistant and Drew is fired. If Drew wins Teddy will consider not firing him. Aksana enters as the others exit.

*In another vignette, AJ is talking to Alicia Fox as Daniel Bryan walks in. The divas were discussing Bryan's World Title defense against Big Show. Bryan seemed confident and asked AJ why she is friends with Fox.

*Hornswoggle beat Heath Slater in an over the top rope challenge. Slater attacked afterward and Justin Gabriel made the save.

*Hunico defeated Ted DiBiase.

*Wade Barrett comes out to give an update on Randy Orton's condition. He says Orton has a herniated disk in his back and will have to miss the Royal Rumble in Orton's hometown of St. Louis. Barrett talks about how he will win the 30 man Rumble and this brings out Sheamus. After a verbal exchange, Jinder Mahal comes out. Barrett leaves and it is Mahal and Sheamis face to face. Mahal slaps Sheamus. A brawl ensues and it ends up two on one with Barrett and Mahal against Sheamus. Sheamus gets the edge briefly before Barrett takes over and leaves. Mahal then put the camel clutch on Sheamus.

*A tale of the tape between Daniel Bryan and Big Show is shown.

*Santino Marella over Drew McIntyre with the Cobra.

*A video is shown of the WWE '12 video game with Michael Cole beating up Daniel Bryan and winning the World Title.

*Drew McIntyre is in Teddy Long's office asking for another chance. Teddy says tonight was strike two. (Note: I either misunderstood the stipulation or Long says strike two instead of the actual firing.) Next week could be strike three for Drew according to Long.

* In a non-title bout, Epico and Primo defeated WWE Tag Team Champions Kofi Kingston and Evan Bourne. Finishing sequence had Epico pull Primo out of the way of Bourne's shooting star press and then Primo got the pin.

* Big Show was being interviewed when Daniel Bryan. Animosity starts to show a little more in this one.

* A video advertises Sheamus vs Jinder Mahal for next week's SmackDown on the heels of the angle from earlier.

* Tamina defeated Natalya with the Superfly Splash.

* Mark Henry comes out to do commentary for the main event.

* In the main event, after Big Show broke up submission attempts Daniel Bryan went to the floor and talked smack to Mark Henry. Henry pushed Bryan to cause a disqualification. Bryan wins by DQ and retains the World Title to end the show with the champion kissing his title on the ramp.

Evil Vito
01-03-2012, 11:54 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Is Bryan going heel? Between his over the top celebrations with the belt and chickenshitting himself to a DQ finish it seems to be that way.</font>

Corndad
01-04-2012, 12:17 AM
<font color=goldenrod>Is Bryan going heel? Between his over the top celebrations with the belt and chickenshitting himself to a DQ finish it seems to be that way.</font>

I was kinda thinking that as well. Might be exactly what he needs. Let him show a heelish sadistic side. A modern day Kurt Angle type. Depending on Orton's health might be setting up Orton/Bryan for Mania which wouldn't be a bad thing.

Mr. Nerfect
01-04-2012, 03:08 AM
Personally, I think keeping Daniel Bryan babyface is the right way to do things. My guess is that they are just stretching things out so they can have Daniel Bryan vs. Big Show vs. Mark Henry at the Royal Rumble. Oh, and it's hard to cleanly book Bryan over Big Show, isn't it?

Nicky Fives
01-04-2012, 08:15 AM
I don't like where this is heading for Drew.....

Corporate CockSnogger
01-04-2012, 08:22 AM
I'm just glad they're doing something with him.

Cuse8
01-04-2012, 09:36 AM
i dont know who i feel worse for..drew or heath

Hanso Amore
01-04-2012, 10:28 AM

Soon Heath will be wearing an Eagle suit. Then Fired

Xero
01-04-2012, 10:30 AM

Slater was never anything.

Shisen Kopf
01-04-2012, 11:55 AM
And I quote:

* Big Show was being interviewed when Daniel Bryan. Animosity starts to show a little more in this one.

Nice writing there. When Daniel Bryan does what? Good lord who the fuck writes this crap?

MoFo
01-04-2012, 12:21 PM
A video is shown of the WWE '12 video game with Michael Cole beating up Daniel Bryan and winning the World Title.

:lol:

:y:

#1-norm-fan
01-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Alright, I am not a fan of Ted DiBiase jobbing so much.

erickman
01-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Soon Heath will be wearing an Eagle suit. Then Fired

yeah he may have to follow chavo to ring la king tna

Indifferent Clox
01-04-2012, 12:44 PM
OK he's most defense going heel. Probably gonna end up using ah and actually be dating another diva. This will give him heat when he breaks ajs heart. Plus hell keep winning in fluke/ possibly intentional dq victories. If he still holds the title by mania and wins via dastardly means he could be the biggest heel RN.

Ermaximus
01-04-2012, 02:21 PM
I'm sensing a Sheamus/Bryan, Barrett/Bryan, or Orton/Bryan WM title match at this point.

Mr. Nerfect
01-06-2012, 11:34 AM
SmackDown! was really interesting. Daniel Bryan actually seems really confident in whatever role they are having him play. Believe it or not, he's got character. He took no shit from Big Show (face), and had a smart-ass answer for everything Show said (could be either) -- but there was almost a sense of entitlement to it (heel). And then in the match, he showed heart, guts, determination and ferocity (mainly face qualities), but then obviously ducked the match at the end (heel, unless you're Eddie Guerrero).

Right now, there seems to be a "Daniel Bryan Experiment" going on. He's still being presented as a babyface (Cole was still on Show's side), and he's being put over as a great talent in the ring; but he is definitely going out of his way to screw around with babyfaces and win at any cost. I get the vibe that if people cheer him, he'll remain a face; but if people boo, a proper heel turn could be imminent. Right now, I'm happy enjoying the ride, because as much as I think Bryan lends himself to being a natural babyface in terms of ability and presentation, he seems so natural in the weird mixed vibes role they've given him. It's like the pressure's off, and he speaks his mind and wrestles the way he wants (the natural flow of a match).

I'll go on the record saying that I actually don't care whether Bryan is a face or a heel at this point. He could be a unique case that wrestles all comers, with shades of grey, and can be a babyface against heels or a heel against babyfaces. Would that work? Maybe not, but if anyone could pull it off, right now it feels like Bryan could. He seriously shone against Big Show tonight, in my opinion.

Cuse8
01-06-2012, 11:43 AM
SmackDown! was really interesting. Daniel Bryan actually seems really confident in whatever role they are having him play. Believe it or not, he's got character. He took no shit from Big Show (face), and had a smart-ass answer for everything Show said (could be either) -- but there was almost a sense of entitlement to it (heel). And then in the match, he showed heart, guts, determination and ferocity (mainly face qualities), but then obviously ducked the match at the end (heel, unless you're Eddie Guerrero).

Right now, there seems to be a "Daniel Bryan Experiment" going on. He's still being presented as a babyface (Cole was still on Show's side), and he's being put over as a great talent in the ring; but he is definitely going out of his way to screw around with babyfaces and win at any cost. I get the vibe that if people cheer him, he'll remain a face; but if people boo, a proper heel turn could be imminent. Right now, I'm happy enjoying the ride, because as much as I think Bryan lends himself to being a natural babyface in terms of ability and presentation, he seems so natural in the weird mixed vibes role they've given him. It's like the pressure's off, and he speaks his mind and wrestles the way he wants (the natural flow of a match).

I'll go on the record saying that I actually don't care whether Bryan is a face or a heel at this point. He could be a unique case that wrestles all comers, with shades of grey, and can be a babyface against heels or a heel against babyfaces. Would that work? Maybe not, but if anyone could pull it off, right now it feels like Bryan could. He seriously shone against Big Show tonight, in my opinion.

if they give bryan free reign on the mic that could be a big positive. nxt season 1 after he was eliminated and went off on the wwe and michael cole was great stuff

Ultra Mantis
01-06-2012, 07:01 PM
Bryan was heeling it up all night and he suits the smug little prick role perfectly. Good to see they're actually putting some effort into his character, he's actually becoming interesting. Not much else worth checking out this week other than Cody / Bookah, Hunico's new finish and Team Rosa.

DaVe
01-06-2012, 08:05 PM
yeah, that main event was compelling stuff.

And Mark Henry on commentary appeared as legit as they come.

Tazz Dan
01-06-2012, 08:46 PM
Yeah, they're definitely going down the heel path with DB, and I think it's going to be a winner. Like someone else said, the smug prick role is coming off well from him.

Mr. Nerfect
01-06-2012, 08:56 PM
yeah, that main event was compelling stuff.

And Mark Henry on commentary appeared as legit as they come.

I loved Henry on commentary, actually. The dude talks with such authority. I marked out when he told Michael Cole to shut up.

Primo & Epico are quickly becoming one of my favourite aspects of the WWE. I would like to see them get some mic time, because I believe Primo, especially, has got plenty of charisma bottled up there. I would love to see Air Boom vs. The Cousins Colon added to the Royal Rumble card. Perhaps even a Ladder Match? Throw that on a show with CM Punk vs. Dolph Ziggler; John Cena vs. Kane; Beth Phoenix, Natalya & The Bella Twins vs. Eve Torres, Kelly Kelly, Alicia Fox & AJ; and Daniel Bryan defending the World Heavyweight Championship against Big Show and Mark Henry in a Triple Threat Match, and I feel you'd have a really fucking solid PPV right there. Oh, and there's that thing called the Royal Rumble. A great way to kick off 2012.

Emperor Smeat
01-06-2012, 10:07 PM
I like how Bryan is slowly becoming what Christian became in how the title now starts to corrupt his ego to the point now he considering doing anything to keep it (ex. Henry's slap to get a DQ) or starts to hate anyone who questions him (ex. Alicia). He's not a full-blown heel yet but at the same time is getting too smug as the champion for the brief time he's held it.

Much better than doing nothing of real importance before and maybe could even end up giving him a longer run than the WWE originally planned.

DaveBrawl
01-06-2012, 10:40 PM
I want to change my commentator of the year vote to Mark Henry.

Mr. Pierre
01-06-2012, 10:46 PM
The show opened and closed with some really good stuff.

-Cody/Booker was a solid match. Booker put Cody over like a million bucks. I'm really shocked that the Cody/Goldust match actually seems to be happening in the near future.

-Bryan/Show was very good also. Bryan looked great, and the match told a good story. Henry on commentary was awesome. Really glad they are turning Bryan instead of Show. A triple threat for the Rumble seems inevitable.

Triple Naitch
01-06-2012, 10:52 PM
I really like the Bryan/Kurt Angle comparisons. Henry was also gold as guest announcer.

What Would Kevin Do?
01-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Yeah, it could be interesting to see where they go with Bryan.

I'm assuming he'll eventually break out his "I have until 5 referee." I'm really hoping he starts doing that after getting disqualified in a big match. Like if he wrestles Mark Henry in a week or two, and loses the match, but keeps the title because he just refuses to break a simple submission.

Also, as the crowd boos him more, I'm imagining he'll turn his back on them rather quickly, stating, much like he did in ROH, that the belt gives him the right to wrestle how he wants to.

#1-norm-fan
01-07-2012, 01:57 AM
I loved Henry on commentary, actually. The dude talks with such authority. I marked out when he told Michael Cole to shut up.

Primo & Epico are quickly becoming one of my favourite aspects of the WWE. I would like to see them get some mic time, because I believe Primo, especially, has got plenty of charisma bottled up there. I would love to see Air Boom vs. The Cousins Colon added to the Royal Rumble card. Perhaps even a Ladder Match? Throw that on a show with CM Punk vs. Dolph Ziggler; John Cena vs. Kane; Beth Phoenix, Natalya & The Bella Twins vs. Eve Torres, Kelly Kelly, Alicia Fox & AJ; and Daniel Bryan defending the World Heavyweight Championship against Big Show and Mark Henry in a Triple Threat Match, and I feel you'd have a really fucking solid PPV right there. Oh, and there's that thing called the Royal Rumble. A great way to kick off 2012.

Why did you add an 8 divas tag match while explaining how stacked the RR card could be?

Volare
01-07-2012, 02:11 AM
Solid smackdown. Loving the Dick Bryan attitude, then getting serious in the ring.

Oh yeah, Henry's commentary was awesome. Loved every minute of up, especially when he owned Cole in the beginning of the match.

Innovator
01-07-2012, 10:34 AM
Kinda marked for seeing a little bit of the American Dragon last night. Suits him better than the "gee golly" DB

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-07-2012, 10:53 AM
hahahah watched only the main event. Mark Henry was tremendous. fanboy in me woulda loved Bryan to get the tap, but the finish was pure Eddie Guererro thus making it awesome.

Innovator
01-07-2012, 10:59 AM
I want Mark Henry on commentary at all times.

What Would Kevin Do?
01-07-2012, 11:25 AM
I also love that Henry, while being a heel, put DB over in commentary in one match then Cole has since DB has been there.

Ol Dirty Dastard
01-07-2012, 12:20 PM
Yeah you could tell Henry being a pro was doing his best to put DB over. It's easy not to do as a monster heel, but he did it.

erickman
01-07-2012, 02:38 PM
I also love that Henry, while being a heel, put DB over in commentary in one match then Cole has since DB has been there.

yep cole has become the new don west, i wish they let booker do what henry did last night when booker 1st came in, smackdown needs a 2 man team of josh and heel former wrestler like henry, an cole needs to stay on raw.

Nicky Fives
01-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Bryan is much closer to The Man That Cannot Be Named than Angle.....

XCaliber
01-07-2012, 04:12 PM
It appears Bryan is a tweener at the moment we shall now for sure if he turns heel when Cole stops talking shit about him.

Rammsteinmad
01-07-2012, 04:34 PM
A Daniel Bryan heel turn could be great. If Orton if healthy for Wrestlemania I could definitely see this being the Smackdown title match. Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton, Chris Jericho vs. CM Punk, The Rock vs. John Cena and possibly Triple H vs. Undertaker again. :drool: :drool: :drool:

Rammsteinmad
01-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Also, I have no problems with a Goldust vs. Cody Rhodes match, but I really hope it does happen at Wrestlemania, as Goldust was originally pushing for.

#1-norm-fan
01-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Also, Kane vs Rey Mysterio: Night of 70,000 Masks

#1-norm-fan
01-07-2012, 09:43 PM
As for Cody, Don't really feel like Goldust would be WrestleMania-like. Ideally I'd want Cody vs DiBiase but it doesn't look like Ted's going anywhere anytime soon sadly.

I'd go with Cody vs Ryder title vs title or possibly Cody vs Sheamus for the Title.

Mr. Nerfect
01-08-2012, 03:57 AM
I would also cast my vote for Cody vs. Sheamus. Goldust and Cody can have their match at Elimination Chamber, where Rhodes can retain before Sheamus comes out and says that Cody should face someone in their prime now. Rhodes vs. Ryder could be a solid match, too, however. Ryder has to do something at WrestleMania.

Mark Henry would make a fine commentary when he decides to retire, if he decides that he wants to keep building a legacy with the company (I never thought I'd be saying that about Henry). Also, I would not mind seeing Henry turn into a default face against a hypothetical heel Bryan. The finish with Bryan keeping a hold locked in on Henry long past the five count in a match would be great storytelling.

Bryan vs. Show vs. Henry could actually become a decently compelling story.

Mr. Nerfect
01-08-2012, 04:57 AM
Just for fun, here's how I would book Daniel Bryan heading into the Royal Rumble PPV:

Next week, I'd have Daniel Bryan open the show in a suit and show us how he defeated Big Show the previous week. Bryan says that a lot of people have accused him of getting himself intentionally disqualified...and they're right! No one would give a 210lbs man a chance against The Big Show, but here Daniel Bryan is -- not only a survivor but a victor!

Big Show comes out and he's none too happy. Show asks Bryan if he is really proud of he how he beat him last week. Bryan says "Yeah, I am! What? Do you have a problem with me beating you using the rules?" Bryan drives the point home by asking Show if he likes beating up smaller people? He calls him a bully, and says that Bryan should have the right to take whatever advantage he can. Big Show says it's the "World Heavyweight Championship." If Bryan is too little to keep up, then he should go play somewhere else. Theodore Long comes out, and while Bryan is correct -- he did technically defeat Big Show last week -- he does agree that Big Show deserves another chance at the title. Therefore, tonight we are getting Big Show vs. Daniel Bryan for the World Heavyweight Title, and the winner will defend the title against Mark Henry at the Royal Rumble. Oh, and it's No Disqualification. Bryan looks worried for a second, but then gets back on the mic and asks Show (who is laughing) if he thinks that worries him? Show thinks he's the best because he's the biggest; Mark Henry thinks he's the best because he's the strongest; but Daniel Bryan thinks he's the best because he's World Champion. Bryan is really getting in Show's face (as much as he can) at that point, and Show goes to hit Bryan with the WMD, but Bryan dodges and slides out of the ring as quickly as anything, looking only mildly concerned.

In the main event, Daniel Bryan and Big Show work another (hopefully) surprisingly good match, with Show using his power to almost get Bryan in several "Holy shit, he's gotta be done!" moments, but Bryan uses resilience and savvy to wear Big Show down (and perhaps some weapons). Bryan then gets a guillotine choke on Show in the ropes, and Big Show taps. The referee doesn't call for the bell, though, and Lilian Garcia informs us that although this is No Disqualification, the match is No Holds Barred, so Bryan's submission is not officially conclusive. Bryan is upset, but then after some more brawling with Show, he gets him in the ropes again. The referee is yelling at Bryan that it doesn't count, but Bryan ignores him and holds the submission in. Show taps again, but the referee can't call for the bell. Bryan then chokes Show out, and the referee eventually stops the match for Show's safety, and awards the match to World Heavyweight Champion Daniel Bryan.

Bryan then done his wacky over-the-top celebration as medics attend to Big Show. Mark Henry then comes out and walks to the ring as Bryan stands his ground to end the show.

The following week, Bryan says that he feels bad for Show's family, but Big Show got what he wanted. He wanted another match, he wanted disqualications to be taken out of the equation, and he not only lost, but he got choked out. Bryan says that Show is reportedly not happy, and that just makes him the World's Largest Sore Loser. Bryan says that he has beaten Show a total of three times now in World Heavyweight Title matches -- in their first match, yeah, he was advantageous; in their second he won because he was smarter; but in the third he just won because he was better. And he even made him tap-out twice during their last match! CM Punk isn't the only one who can lay claim to being "The Best in the World." Bryan says that Big Show is really starting to sound like Christian to him.

Bryan says that he knows his next defence is scheduled to be against Mark Henry at the Royal Rumble, and given that Henry beat him a few times last year, he's really looking forward to proving that he can beat him. But, if Mark would be so polite, there is another stop on Bryan's World Heavyweight Championship tour. Bryan turns his attention to the announce desk. He says that Michael Cole has been showing people a video of Michael Cole beating Daniel Bryan for the World Heavyweight Championship. Well, since Cole likes to brag about his 1-0 streak at WrestleMania, how about Cole laces up the boots again and gets into the ring for a World Heavyweight Title match against him, and he can find out what championship material Bryan actually is.

Michael Cole is like a deer in the headlights and he says that he has some disparaging things to say about Bryan at times, but last week, Bryan really impressed him with his victory over Big Show. And he proved him wrong the week before, too. Cole even agrees with the measures Bryan went through to retain the World Heavyweight Championship. Bryan then tells Michael Cole that he's an absolute coward. Bryan says that he can't believe any woman would marry such a coward, let alone have kids with them. Bryan basically gets a chance to shoot back at Michael Cole for the months and months of burying from the announce table. Bryan gets right in Cole's face, and Booker T actually puts himself between Cole and Bryan to stop a fight breaking out. Booker T can audibly be heard saying "Man, I've got no love for this man, but we're out here to do a job," and that sort of thing. Bryan then thinks for a bit and lays one on Booker "Hey, Book -- I'd challenge you to a match, but you can't even beat Cody Rhodes." Booker then turns around, looks upset for a minute, and then kicks Bryan in the chin. The two start brawling on the floor, and they do a pull-apart and we get Daniel Bryan vs. Booker T in the main event for the World Heavyweight Championship.

In that match, Bryan gets the clean submission, despite Michael Cole interference to try and help Booker T, and Bryan then leaves the ring and gets right in Michael Cole's face. He grabs Michael Cole and demands that Cole tell everyone that Daniel Bryan deserves to be the World Heavyweight Champion. Cole does it, and then Bryan does his big over-the-top celebration. As he gets near the top of the ramp and is kissing his title, Mark Henry makes his way out and they stand toe-to-toe to end the show.

Not too sure about the third show, but perhaps you could do some sort of tag team match with Daniel Bryan & Cody Rhodes facing Mark Henry & Booker T. There, Daniel Bryan actually bails on Rhodes, to "conserve energy for his Royal Rumble match," and Rhodes is pinned by Booker T. No Strongaroonies, though.

Mr. Nerfect
01-08-2012, 05:00 AM
For those of you who can't be bothered reading the details:

* Daniel Bryan becomes a whiny heel who brags (rightly) about some dickish heel wins he gets over Big Show -- the one this week and the one next week in a No DQ Match after he chokes Big Show out using a hold in the ropes.

* Mark Henry is confirmed as Daniel Bryan's RR opponent.

* Bryan fires back at Michael Cole and wants to fight him, but Booker T stands up for Cole, because although Cole is pathetic, he can't see an unfair fight like that.

* Bryan provokes Booker T into a fight, and then makes him tap-out in the main event.

parkmania
01-08-2012, 10:04 AM
If he goes full heel, does DB forsake the name WWE gave him and return to Bryan Danielson a la the backstage interview the week after he got eliminated from NXT.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qktVY3FTAvk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Anybody Thrilla
01-08-2012, 03:13 PM
Daniel Bryan was amazing throughout this broadcast. Love it.

Swiss Ultimate
01-09-2012, 12:56 AM
I thought he was going to snap and become a bad ass submission machine who wouldn't take shit from anybody.

DAMN iNATOR
01-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Wonder if they're thinking of doing a shorter version of M.V.P.'s losing streak, only to have Drew inexplicably start winning matches left and right and eventually becoming world champ for the first time?

Would be far better than having him lose for another month or whatever and then just releasing him and pretending he never existed.

XCaliber
01-09-2012, 12:09 PM
I'm sure they will have McIntyre rebound they wouldn't have moved him in the first place if they didn't have anything planned for him in fact I wouldn't be surprised if he is the one to cost Sheamus the Royal Rumble.

parkmania
01-09-2012, 05:02 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qktVY3FTAvk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, I love how Striker is trying to keep him from saying "Bryan Danielson".

Corndad
01-09-2012, 05:57 PM
I can't wait till we see this Daniel Bryan....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WTA20nsWnSw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>