PDA

View Full Version : Is it really Michael Cole's fault?

Swiss Ultimate
01-13-2012, 07:48 AM
I have gotten the impression that everything the announcers say is fed to them by script-writers and Vince. Am I wrong?

I just keep seeing people complain about Cole's horrible commentary and blaming Cole for it. I don't enjoy it either, but is he really at fault? Isn't that part of the reason why Joey Styles retired from commentary because he hated the style?

#BROKEN Hasney
01-13-2012, 07:56 AM
It is his fault, it's his delivery.

Watching 1999 and he is god-awful. The only time he was bearable was during his run with Tazz.

MoFo
01-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Since he turned heel hes the best commentator in the biznizz.

I love him.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Sx1PhviIAt4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cuse8
01-13-2012, 08:47 AM
hes awful, ive lost count how many times ive wanted to mute raw

i understand hes on a script and a lot of it is being told what to say, but hes terrible with it, im embarassed to say we went to the same college for the same major

Rammsteinmad
01-13-2012, 08:48 AM
I'm a Cole Miner. Didn't mind him so much as a face announcer, he was just 'meh doing his job' kinda thing, but since his heel turn I really like him. I love how he always finds excuses to defend the heels, how he finds a cheap excuse to blame the face for something, his bickering with the other announcers, especially with Booker T and Josh Matthews on Smackdown, where I imagine they have a slightly more relaxed atmosphere, and his antics on the mic/in the ring.

You can blame his deliverence, his ability to stick to the match etc all you like, but at the end of the day, the guy is being fed lines and he's doing his job. He's a heel announcer, and right now he's a heat magnet. Job done.

Corporate CockSnogger
01-13-2012, 08:49 AM
He only bothers me when he bangs on about Twitter. Other than that I don't really have a problem. Find Lawler to be worse.

Rammsteinmad
01-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Also, that video posted above is glorious.

Rammsteinmad
01-13-2012, 08:51 AM
He only bothers me when he bangs on about Twitter. Other than that I don't really have a problem. Find Lawler to be worse.

Pretty much this. Lawler's constant sucking up to the faces became incredibly stale quicker than John Cena matches.

Another thing I like about Coles character is that the guy has pretty much been hated on since he debuted with the company, both in real life and in kayfabe. This heel persona seems so natural for him to play now, it's like 'after ten years of taking shit from you, I'm still announcing Raw, Smackdown and monthly PPV's! So fuck you!'.

But yeah, the Twitter thing is kinda annoying. Especially coz I don't use Twitter.

Rammsteinmad
01-13-2012, 09:07 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RLzcXZfqH7E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3dAoSZdzBVw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Corporate CockSnogger
01-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Not sure why everyone found that anal bleeding stuff funny. Seems on par with a poop joke to me.

whiteyford
01-13-2012, 09:18 AM
The only time he was bearable was during his run with Tazz.

Actually enjoyed his stuff with Taz,thought the two of them worked really well together,didnt mind his run with JBL either but everything else is usually terrible.

Juan
01-13-2012, 09:19 AM
I dunno, when even WWE admits that he has been burying talent and then actually tones down his character you know there's at least a slight problem with his commentary.

#BROKEN Hasney
01-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Not sure why everyone found that anal bleeding stuff funny. Seems on par with a poop joke to me.

Booker's reaction mainly. That was gold.

Rammsteinmad
01-13-2012, 09:24 AM
It's the way he says it with a dead straight face, yet you know he's saying it to be a prick. And of course Bookers and JR's reactions are awesome.

Kane Knight
01-13-2012, 09:36 AM

Preeeetty much.

Though I gotta say, I realised I've basically been tuning him out. I couldn't remember much of what he's said of late.

It's a habit I've picked up from years of shitty commentary.

Honestly, he just doesn't sound that bad, though.

Jordan
01-13-2012, 09:37 AM
I do think he has a great character but he has GOT TO STOP BURYING TALENT. Prime example of inspiration on how he should work would be Bobby Heenan at Bash 94...

He KNEW Hogan could beat Flair and was SCARED of the the outcome of the match. He still pulled for Flair but he KNEW what Hogan was capable of. He still played the heel but absolutely put Hogan over to WCW fans as superman.

Cole has got to stop personally buying talent. I'm not saying he is shooting, but his work comes off like a shoot which is not helping people get over.

At the same time, Daniel Bryan needs to fucking get it together.

jerichoholicninja
01-13-2012, 10:47 AM
What he needs is to not be paired with a super face commentator. When Lawler was a full out heel commentator Jim Ross was rather neutral, he'd give a heel credit when credit was due but call him out on his heel actions. Lawler cheers against the heels and cheers for the faces.

Most of the commentary is just the two of them arguing with each other. With Lawler and JR, JR would call the match and Lawler would make snarky asshole comments but they would do their job and call the march. It seems like Cole is doing his best to bury the face and Lawler is telling Cole why he is wrong, completely forgetting there is a match going on.

Majunior
01-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Yeah, Cole gets fed lines. Yeah, he's doing what he was told to do quite well.

That said, the fact they had their primary announcer constantly burying half the roster is a huge problem. I can't believe it took the WWE so long to figure out it was a bad fucking idea. It's good they toned him down, and right now he seems to be in a sweet spot.

I still miss traditional play by play though. I really hate when you listen to commentary and what's going on in the ring seems like a secondary concern.

Theo Dious
01-13-2012, 10:58 AM
If they're feeding him directions to sound like a whining jackass high school cunt, then no, it isn't his fault.

MoFo
01-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Also, NxT season 3 was the best show in wrestling the last decade, because of Punk and Cole taking the piss out of everything.

0:20 - end

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YMzCRYZxFEY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kane Knight
01-13-2012, 11:27 AM
If they're feeding him directions to sound like a whining jackass high school cunt, then no, it isn't his fault.

Shouldn't that increase his popularity with the smarks?

Avenger
01-13-2012, 11:28 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sY7A07XlguE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#1-norm-fan
01-13-2012, 12:28 PM

That and the whole serious vibe to it was hilarious to me. I still don't know if he was actually supposed to be suffering from anal bleeding or if it was Cole being a dick. If it was Cole being a dick, the deadpan delivery was the greatest thing he's ever done.

#1-norm-fan
01-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Also, NxT season 3 was the best show in wrestling the last decade, because of Punk and Cole taking the piss out of everything.

0:20 - end

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YMzCRYZxFEY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've been catching up on NXT over the past few days after only watching it here and there since season 3. It has by far the best commentary in wrestling. It always feels so laid back like they don't need to worry about the integrity of the product and they just have fun. So entertaining.

#1-norm-fan
01-13-2012, 12:34 PM
And William Regal is awesome. But everyone already knew that.

JKWJRMON
01-13-2012, 01:31 PM

Lawler is worse because I don't think he and Cole work together well.

XL
01-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Bottom line, it's all down to Vince at the end of the day.

That's the same reason I don't take issue with Cena's no-selling antics. Yeah, they're frustrating but it's up to those in charge to correct behaviour like that. Same with Cole. If his work is damaging the product it's up to Vince to curb it.

JimmyMess
01-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Regardless of what is fed into the headsets, like posters before me have said, it is all about delivery.

I have literally changed the channel because of how shit comes out of his mouth. That's not heat, that's a terrible performance.

Gerard
01-13-2012, 04:30 PM
/Cockeny accent/ E's a faacking caaant /Cockney accent/

wwe2222
01-13-2012, 04:31 PM
He is terrible. He has no idea how to call a big moment. There are so many moments in wrestling history that were made better and felt bigger because of the commentating around it.

Cole has no talent for it.

Taker it Easy
01-13-2012, 04:48 PM
TONY SCHIAVONE better sold the talent and the in ring action better than Cole has in some time it seemed. Cole plays a heel and negates his responsibilities as a commentator. Those being to provide play by play of the on going match, sell the angles and put talent over or under. In the last case he simply burries talent.

It seems to be noticable that in the past week or two he has began to improve and tone down or improve the 'heelness' he has used, as a possible crutch, for so long.

#1-norm-fan
01-13-2012, 05:07 PM
Cole would be an excellent color commentator to a McMahon-like play-by-play guy.

Kane Knight
01-13-2012, 05:38 PM
Regardless of what is fed into the headsets, like posters before me have said, it is all about delivery.

I have literally changed the channel because of how shit comes out of his mouth. That's not heat, that's a terrible performance.

Changing the channel is awesome heat.

Wait, we're talking about someone NOT IWC approved?

Changing the channel is terrible.

ace3025
01-13-2012, 05:44 PM
Cole being told what to say is not his fault, delivering it in a way that tells the entire viewing audience they should tune out because wrestler x sucks is his fault. You can be a whining heel that cowardly supports the bad guys without completely dismantling any credibility the faces have. Daniel Bryan is the perfect example of what NOT to do as commentator

Theo Dious
01-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Shouldn't that increase his popularity with the smarks?

They don't like to have the mirror held up to them.

MoFo
01-13-2012, 09:19 PM
TONY SCHIAVONE better sold the talent and the in ring action better than Cole has in some time it seemed. Cole plays a heel and negates his responsibilities as a commentator. Those being to provide play by play of the on going match, sell the angles and put talent over or under. In the last case he simply burries talent.

It seems to be noticable that in the past week or two he has began to improve and tone down or improve the 'heelness' he has used, as a possible crutch, for so long.

Wut.

Schiavone was wack, he said every single thing was the greatest moment in wrestling history.

I get selling a moment, but even the most dense of fan would know Buff Bagwell vs David Flair is not match of the century.

Cole is awesome.

Emperor Smeat
01-13-2012, 11:32 PM
Lawler needs to take some of the blame considering he's barely helped out and still doesn't mesh well with Cole in the booth unlike JBL or Josh Matthews who became great pairings for Cole. Cole turning heel and becoming the messenger for the anonymous GM was the best thing for him since at least now Lawler has some real motivation to interact with Cole than barely doing nothing before.

Cole's biggest problem is how easily he goes overboard to the point of becoming annoying especially when its carrying over to every match and feud. It made sense why he loves the Miz and hates Bryan since NXT developed those reasons but everything else he doesn't have a real reason to trash (ex. Ryder) or continue support certain wrestlers (ex. Cena even though Cole is a heel).

Gertner
01-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Cole is awesome. The IWC just hates him because he makes fun of their jerk off material. Punk does the exact same thing as Cole does to the heels.

#1-norm-fan
01-14-2012, 11:17 AM
:nono: Are we really doing the "Cole does the same thing as Punk" thing again?

Tom Guycott
01-14-2012, 11:28 AM
Is it really Michael Cole's fault?

http://www.wrestling18.com/images/02/michael_cole_lost_it__by_killerofhell-d33mp0c.jpg
<iframe width="360" height="20" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PffzzTowTeg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kane Knight
01-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Cole is awesome. The IWC just hates him because he makes fun of their jerk off material. Punk does the exact same thing as Cole does to the heels.

Smark hypocrisy?

I've believed you before, but that just strains credibility.

Mr. Nerfect
01-15-2012, 01:05 AM
Michael Cole is a capable announcer, he's just not suited for it with his current character. There's no play-by-play guy in the booth, currently. If they want Cole out there, they need to have Josh Mathews out there as well. Someone providing a more level-headed balance. Personally, I think they need to get rid of Cole out of the booth on RAW and SmackDown!, though. At least temporarily. He could be used far more efficiently as the mouthpiece for someone.

Also, since Jerry Lawler has spoken out about commentary, I would probably give him a job helping out younger talents elsewhere. Have Josh Mathews or Jim Ross handle the play-by-play duties on RAW (or have both), and give another color commentator the chance to shine on RAW. William Regal could use a bit more polish, and I personally don't like Booker T in the commentary booth. I would suggest Matt Striker, but the company doesn't trust him there, and he's not really a "name." JBL would be a perfect choice, in all honesty. He knew how to be a heel and put over basically everyone.

#1-norm-fan
01-15-2012, 01:35 AM
I like Booker T as a commentator in a train-wreck sort of way. Sort of like Mike Adamle.

Gertner
01-15-2012, 02:26 PM
Regal is perfect on NXT. He'd be out of his element on Raw or Smackdown, but as the "veteren giving advice to the rookies"" style that he has, he's perfect for the show.

Shisen Kopf
01-15-2012, 02:34 PM
Michael Cole is pretty funny. Why all the hate for him? At least he's entertaining unlike the snoozefest that is Daniel Bryan. So what if he is burying rasslers if they were good it wouldna matter. Amirite lads?

Gertner
01-15-2012, 05:11 PM
Shisen speaks the truth like usual.

Damndirty
01-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Michael Cole might go a little, just a little too far with it, but he is not the reason for viewer decline. Heel announcers have been putting down the talent for as long as I can remember. Lawler did it and so did Heenan, but I didn't hear them go as far as to insult people because of a legitimate illness they had (if they did, I didn't hear it because I either didn't pay attention or wasn't there to hear it). Nevertheless, the populace isn't basing this on the commentators as much as people here are giving them credit for. It is because, like I've said many MANY times before, of a lack of a rival federation that matches up with them.

GD
01-16-2012, 12:14 AM
Cole was gold on NXT

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9XOB9qhcxB0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u1V7BdNNYmE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wwpxycxOnyI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vLTYSqbDR3g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mr. Nerfect
01-16-2012, 02:35 AM
A Michael Cole and William Regal duo on NXT could potentially be greatness.

#1-norm-fan
01-16-2012, 09:39 AM
Haven't they been on together before? It feels like with all the combinations, they would have had to have been for at least one or two episodes.

#1-norm-fan
01-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Michael Cole might go a little, just a little too far with it, but he is not the reason for viewer decline. Heel announcers have been putting down the talent for as long as I can remember. Lawler did it and so did Heenan, but I didn't hear them go as far as to insult people because of a legitimate illness they had (if they did, I didn't hear it because I either didn't pay attention or wasn't there to hear it). Nevertheless, the populace isn't basing this on the commentators as much as people here are giving them credit for. It is because, like I've said many MANY times before, of a lack of a rival federation that matches up with them.

People seriously need to grasp the difference between an announcer and a color commentator. It seems like it needs to be restated on every page.

Iop
01-16-2012, 09:54 AM
The only color commentator in the WWE right now is Booker T, right?

Kane Knight
01-16-2012, 09:54 AM
Cole was gold on NXT

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9XOB9qhcxB0" allowfullscreen="" width="480" frameborder="0" height="360"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u1V7BdNNYmE" allowfullscreen="" width="640" frameborder="0" height="360"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wwpxycxOnyI" allowfullscreen="" width="640" frameborder="0" height="360"></iframe>

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vLTYSqbDR3g" allowfullscreen="" width="640" frameborder="0" height="360"></iframe>

So the thrust of his commentary is "lollll this show sucks."

#1-norm-fan
01-16-2012, 10:13 AM
The only color commentator in the WWE right now is Booker T, right?

... Jerry Lawler... William Regal...

You know, people who are there to to commentary on the action as opposed to play by play.

Hence the titles.

#1-norm-fan
01-16-2012, 10:22 AM
So the thrust of his commentary is "lollll this show sucks."

Pretty much. And since the show is for the most part generic, green rookies who make you cringe on the mic and all have identical characters which makes the matches usually paint-by-numbers and not really important, I enjoy it. The fact that the commentators act like they're not even on the air half the time makes NXT. It's not like there's product integrity to protect or anything.

Kane Knight
01-16-2012, 11:15 AM
Pretty much. And since the show is for the most part generic, green rookies who make you cringe on the mic and all have identical characters which makes the matches usually paint-by-numbers and not really important, I enjoy it. The fact that the commentators act like they're not even on the air half the time makes NXT. It's not like there's product integrity to protect or anything.
I love the message here. It's okay to put out shit as long as we remind you it's shit constantly.

#1-norm-fan
01-16-2012, 11:19 AM
I love the message here. It's okay to put out shit as long as we remind you it's shit constantly.

I didn't say it was okay to put out shit...

Damndirty
01-16-2012, 12:16 PM
People seriously need to grasp the difference between an announcer and a color commentator. It seems like it needs to be restated on every page.

So sue me, I made a typo!

#1-norm-fan
01-16-2012, 12:54 PM
It wasn't a typo I was referring to. It was the lumping in of Heenan and Lawler with Cole. They have very different jobs.

Kane Knight
01-16-2012, 12:59 PM
I didn't say it was okay to put out shit...

Not in those exact words. You're just endorsing content you know is shit because they remind us it's shit.

Kane Knight
01-16-2012, 12:59 PM
So sue me, I made a typo!

Dude, learn what a typo is.

If you're lost, look at a Clox post. Statistically, there's two typos per word.

#1-norm-fan
01-16-2012, 01:11 PM
Not in those exact words. You're just endorsing content you know is shit because they remind us it's shit.

I don't think it's shit. I like NXT. Pretty much because of the commentary and sometimes because it's fun to watch the trainwreck.

Kane Knight
01-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Yes, you don't think it's shit. Just a trainwreck.

#1-norm-fan
01-16-2012, 05:51 PM
Yes, you don't think it's shit. Just a trainwreck.

One made entertaining by the awkwardness and commentary.

#1-norm-fan
01-16-2012, 06:07 PM
It's like watching a wrestling version of MST3K.

Kane Knight
01-16-2012, 06:09 PM
It's like watching a wrestling version of MST3K.

Except MST3K didn't produce both the content and the commentary.

#1-norm-fan
01-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Who gives a fuck who produced the content? I like the show for the same reasons.

#1-norm-fan
01-16-2012, 06:20 PM
You're stuck in this mindset of "It's a wrestling show so you're only allowed to be entertained by the commonly accepted 'wrestling show' aspects of it".

Tom Guycott
01-16-2012, 06:25 PM

I think the bigger issue is that WWE needs to grasp that concept with Cole.

I've stated that he's capable on the mic, and capable as a heat machine, but they need to separate the "two characters" of Cole and chose one direction. The same guy goes from calling the action fairly impartially to one match, to becoming dedicated to burying Daniel Bryan in the next, then completely ignoring calling the 3rd match to talk about something else, such as bashing JR or Booker T depending on the show, having an out and out orgasm when Miz arrives, then back to impartial action calling in the course of one show.

And where does all that heat go when he does trash someone? Nowhere. He can "like this kid" or "hate that guy" all he wants, but they kind of make it as meaningless as Booker T's Fave Five with 18 people in it. Even Booker or JR will point out positive traits in people they don't really "like" in terms of faces and heels (Booker, for example, has been putting over Wade Barrett for quite awhile, and his complaint about Cody Rhodes before their little program was that "he has all the tools, but he *has* to use that facemask as a weapon!!!"). There's no flaw in who Cole likes, and nothing good in who "bugs" him. This would be served better to speak in those terms if he were a manager or some other onscreen personality who's job wasn't to try to get all the in ring talent over. There's no point in badmouthing someone like Ryder if it only serves to make him sound weak and worthless in the long run. It's akin to what Austin was trying to do with calling Lance Storm "boring" as opposed to what actually happened... it backfired. One of the reasons why it did was because Steve just gave the crowd something else to chant, like "Asshole" or "What!?"

Again, I say either scale his character down a bit OR take his ass out of the booth and give him a heel stable to run with. He could be ranked up there with the likes of Heenan as a manager, and people would love to see him in a position to get his ass kicked by whatever face is in a feud with one of his clients.

James Steele
01-16-2012, 06:36 PM
#1-wwf-fan, you like it because it is so shitty it's good.

#1-norm-fan
01-16-2012, 06:40 PM
#1-wwf-fan, you like it because it is so shitty it's good.

More like I like the commentary on the rookies being so shitty. And the awkwardness of them being shitty.

When you say "You like it because it's so shitty..." it implies that I find the show as a whole as shitty and that's not the case. The shitty aspects feed the aspects that I find amazing.

#1-norm-fan
01-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Thus making me find the show as a whole... not shitty.

James Steele
01-16-2012, 06:47 PM
But the aspects you find amazing are the "hilariously shitty" parts, so the shitty parts feed the shitty parts which make it not shitty. You are full of shit.

#1-norm-fan
01-16-2012, 06:50 PM
I don't find the commentary hilariously shitty! I find the commentary hilarious! Shit!

Damndirty
01-16-2012, 06:51 PM
I swear I'm gonna kick you in the balls if you say the word "shitty" one more time!

#1-norm-fan
01-16-2012, 06:53 PM
To be fair, Kane Knight started the "shit" talk.

Damndirty
01-16-2012, 07:02 PM
This is about as bad as that episode of South Park where saying "SHIT!" 160 times makes an apocalyptic dragon come out of the ground.

Kane Knight
01-16-2012, 07:10 PM
You're stuck in this mindset of "It's a wrestling show so you're only allowed to be entertained by the commonly accepted 'wrestling show' aspects of it".

Come now, you know that's not true.

Kane Knight
01-16-2012, 07:11 PM
To be fair, Kane Knight started the "shit" talk.

To be fair, it's hard not to read your posts without thinking "shit."

#1-norm-fan
01-16-2012, 07:45 PM
To be fair, it's hard not to read your posts without thinking "shit."

Yes because "Come on now you know that's not true" is the greatest response ever after being called out on your retardation.

Damndirty
01-16-2012, 08:02 PM
Okay Goddammit! Here comes the dragon!
http://www.gifbin.com/981536

Kane Knight
01-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Yes because "Come on now you know that's not true" is the greatest response ever after being called out on your retardation.

Yes, the stuff I didn't say is clearly my retardation. :lol:

#1-norm-fan
01-16-2012, 09:17 PM
What the fuck are you on about? Are you going to come up with a remotely logical argument to this whole "You think NXT is shitty" nonsense or are you going with typical Kane Knight "I can't think of any other ways to argue this and I don't want to admit that I'm not making sense so I'll try to change the argument"?