PDA

View Full Version : If they made a FPS where you can buy upgrades with cash

Iop
01-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Do u think it would work?

For example, with every $20, your guns become more powerful. $10 gets you better armor...
etc.

Do u think people would compete on spending the most money to get the most powerful character?

Should this be in the next big COD or Halo game?

Discuss (ting)

#BROKEN Hasney
01-13-2012, 12:23 PM
Team Fortress 2 and Eliminate already do this.

TF2 is quite balanced though and has weapon drops for free. Eliminate is an iPhone game that just whores the best weapons for cash, or buying more time to level up to earn the weapons.

What Would Kevin Do?
01-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Some people might by into it, but then you're going to get people like me who just won't care. Not that I play multiplayer a lot outside of a few games, but a scheme like that would really turn me off to the game anyway.

Funky Fly
01-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Do u think it would work?

For example, with every $20, your guns become more powerful. $10 gets you better armor...
etc.

Do u think people would compete on spending the most money to get the most powerful character?

Should this be in the next big COD or Halo game?

Discuss (ting)

It's a slippery slope. You're going to end up wit the FPS version of Gran Turismo prologue. Buy a game with like 3 guns and pay to buy the other 20.

The Destroyer
01-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Pay to win = bad.

Xero
01-13-2012, 02:12 PM
This is where the industry is going, at least from the bigger companies and shovelware companies only looking for the cash.

Will people do it? They already do, as mentioned in the thread. People are stupid with their money, that's why Facebook games are so lucrative. I personally wouldn't buy into something like this unless it was a game I REALLY loved. Like WWKD, it would probably turn me off than anything, but I'm anything but the casual gamer nor am I really that hardcore, and casuals and super hardcores are the ones who would buy into this (depending on the game), the previous being the big money maker.

Even similar to this, things that we normally would have gotten five years ago in a game are now built into DLC packs. And I'm not just talking characters, even cheats can fall into this, like the WWE 12 unlock all DLC. We're already on this road, and I think it's partially why I've come to love Indie games, because they tend not to do this and for any extra DLC it tends to go far and beyond what you'd expect from a big company's title, especially for the price.

#BROKEN Hasney
01-13-2012, 02:14 PM
http://www.destructoid.com/ea-selling-a-100-dlc-car-in-need-for-speed-world-218026.phtml

Usually I get angry or dismayed when one of Electronic Arts' shenanigans come to light, but when it comes to the downloadable content for Need for Speed World, I can't help but laugh. The free-to-play PC racer is offering cars for cash, and you need to spend obscene amounts of money for "premium elite" vehicles.

The first car to demand a ludicrous price tag is Koenigsegg CCX "Elite" Edition, which hopes to cost users $100. Yes, that's a hundo in exchange for a single virtual racing car, more than most games in their completion cost. Fortunately, it's discounted until December 21, only costing $75 at the moment. How generous!

EA recently instituted a subscription fee for Tetris, and is offering rides in Theme Park for $60. It's a shame, because I always thought free-to-play was an interesting model with serious potential. More fool me for not guessing the locusts would tear into it and ruin the whole thing before it ever gained serious ground.

EA rolls out $100 car for Need for Speed World [GameSpot]

Beautiful example of it.

Kane Knight
01-13-2012, 04:16 PM
What was that game where someone bought a 16K item for it before it was even released?

#BROKEN Hasney
01-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Something called Age of Wulin, a "Martial Arts MMO".

Kane Knight
01-14-2012, 11:13 AM
That would be it.

Shit's gonna get ridiculous one day.

:shifty:

The Rogerer
01-18-2012, 06:15 PM
There was a FPS I read about in EDGE magazine a few years ago. I don't know if it ever came out, but the idea was that people would fight in deathmatch for money prizes, but you would have to pay to play, pay for your ammo and the like.