PDA

View Full Version : Should the Royal Rumble ever be used to elevate an unknown?

Graveler
01-26-2012, 02:46 PM
As of late, I've been thinking about how they had Santino and Del Rio as the final two at last year's Royal Rumble. Granted, we all knew that ADR was gonna win, but the idea of someone like Santino unexpectedly winning was intriguing. How would you react if someone like Drew Mcintyre or Tyson Kidd won the Royal Rumble? Will it help with the transition into the main event scene? Will the fans buy into it?

Corporate CockSnogger
01-26-2012, 02:55 PM
I'd enjoy it solely for the shock factor and the kayfabe idea that anybody can win the rumble, rather than just one of the two or three guys they've pushed hard in the past few weeks.

Destor
01-26-2012, 03:11 PM
with so much money tied into mania i think no. you need some real stength out front so the rumble winner needs to be a sure bet. that said this year, with Rock/Cena headlining, i think this is the one exception where you could have a relitive unknown upset and win the rumble. but as a rule, no.

Nicky Fives
01-26-2012, 03:29 PM
I would like to see it, but it won't happen.....

Nark Order
01-26-2012, 03:46 PM
Having relative unknowns win the World Heavyweight Championship is fine but having them win the Royal Rumble is OUT OF THE FUCKING QUESTION.

Juan
01-26-2012, 03:57 PM
Sure you're not suggesting Daniel Bryan is a relative unknown?

Theo Dious
01-26-2012, 04:06 PM
No. Elevating unknowns is what MitB is for.

Theo Dious
01-26-2012, 04:07 PM
Sure you're not suggesting Daniel Bryan is a relative unknown?

lol This makes me want to take a sign to an event that says "WHO IS THAT GUY WITH THE BELT"

#1-norm-fan
01-26-2012, 04:08 PM
I think with two "main event" titles, you can afford to have someone who isn't quite at the "main event of WrestleMania" level win. Like last year. Del Rio was not ready to main event WrestleMania but he won the Royal Rumble, got a World title shot in a match that didn't have the pressure of being THE main event and all was well.

This year, WrestleMania is being sold on Rock-Cena. Add to that Taker's streak and another "main" title match and I don't see why the winner NEEDS to be someone huge.

Kane Knight
01-26-2012, 04:17 PM
Santino was an unknown last year?

Theo Dious
01-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Well he was a main event unknown.

Kane Knight
01-26-2012, 04:22 PM
You know, they could really elevate an unknown without him winning the Rumble. Just having an amazing showing and making it to the final few should be enough.

Though the IWC may be the wrong place to suggest this, as it's also the place where you can have a meteoric rise adn still be in the doghouse.

Destor
01-26-2012, 04:23 PM
You know, they could really elevate an unknown without him winning the Rumble. Just having an amazing showing and making it to the final few should be enough.

Though the IWC may be the wrong place to suggest this, as it's also the place where you can have a meteoric rise adn still be in the doghouse.
i agree with every word of this

Rammsteinmad
01-26-2012, 04:36 PM
I agree with Iginfest. But don't tell him that.

Tanawesome
01-26-2012, 04:44 PM
Having an "unknown" win the Rumble would take long term compelling story telling and WWE doesn't do that.

#1-norm-fan
01-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Having an "unknown" win the Rumble would take long term compelling story telling and WWE doesn't do that.

I think that's the exact opposite of what it would take...

TheChamp
01-26-2012, 08:08 PM
It would be definitely something to watch for. Just as Money in the Bank made mid-carders into main-eventers, I think that winning the Rumble out of the blue, or at least being there in the final 4 after coming in the top 5, would catapult someone's status. They could even throw that person who lasts the longest, but doesn't win it, in the Elimination Chamber next month. Maybe he can be the last one pinned or something and just build on it.

#1-norm-fan
01-26-2012, 08:41 PM
I kinda like the idea of giving the reward of an elimination chamber spot to the runner up in the Rumble or the person that lasts the longest.

Sting Fan
01-26-2012, 08:41 PM
I think that's the exact opposite of what it would take...

I'm going to assume he meant post Rumble to hype said person.

glanville6
01-27-2012, 12:11 AM
Winning it? No. A low carder taking out a high mid-carder to main eventer?

Yes!

It didn't really work out with Maven when he eliminated Undertaker, but the whole idea of trying to "make" someone works in an environment like the Rumble. One man wins, 29 men lose. So, say... Alex Riley makes it into the Rumble, is in the "final 4" an eliminates a guy like HHH or Taker...it might build him up for a nice mid-card match for Mania. Or a DiBiase. Not too many guys who are lower than mid card who could pull it off.

Droford
01-27-2012, 12:14 AM
Santino was an unknown last year?

Should the Royal Rumble ever be used to elevate a joke?

NO

Lock Jaw
01-27-2012, 12:30 AM
It seems to me like the Rumble hasn't been used to its "full potential" since 2006 when Rey Mysterio won it.

I feel like the Rumble should be used to help to elevate a wrestler on the cusp of the main event and solidify them as a star.

Not for established people like Taker/Cena/Orton/Edge to win.

Alberto Del Rio was a nice try, but did not quite work out. His turn into a star only came with the Money in the Bank.

Droford
01-27-2012, 12:36 AM
they've used MITB to make new stars for the most part, I think the Rumble will be used for established guys

Mr. Nerfect
01-27-2012, 03:17 AM
I don't think the idea is a terrible one. I mean, I remember suggesting last year that Daniel Bryan potentially win the Rumble and have his Road to WrestleMania essentially be about his build to the main event -- perhaps even with Vince McMahon trying to strip Bryan of his earned title shot, because he's not enough of a "big name."

And that's essentially how I would go with an "unknown" winning the Royal Rumble. Kofi Kingston, or someone, wins it, and whatever authority figure is running the show is sort of like "Yeah, dude, I know -- but WrestleMania is meant to be big, you know? So I'm going to put you through all these tests."

Jordan
01-27-2012, 04:42 AM

NO

Paul Heyman booked Mikey Whipwreck to be a great ECW Champ, Santino could totally pull it off with the right booking.

James Diesel
01-27-2012, 05:48 AM
Give Trent Baretta the win and test this theory

SlickyTrickyDamon
01-27-2012, 05:50 AM
What do you really mean by unknown? A person never before seen in the WWE or not known to be a main event player?

Nobody really is unknown if they work for the WWE.

Kane Knight
01-27-2012, 08:58 AM

NO

More accurate when discussing Marella.

Hanso Amore
01-27-2012, 10:05 AM
I would like it. But as people mentioned, it would be hard with the money on the line for WM.

But I wouldnt mind seeing a newer type win it, and with everyone treating it as a fluke. Then roll that story out into EC. Have a guy like Miz says its a fluke, but let the person in question get some clean raw wins over big names, and then defend his rumble win in the EC or something and win. Then they will have a nice legit build up to WM.

Graveler
01-27-2012, 11:47 AM
What do you really mean by unknown? A person never before seen in the WWE or not known to be a main event player?

Nobody really is unknown if they work for the WWE.

I meant a person not known to be a main event player. No way in hell should they ever pick some celebrity to win it. But getting back to my point, the rumble should be a little more unpredictable. Building a darkhorse who wins the rumble is arguably easier than someone who cashes in on a down champion.

whiteyford
01-27-2012, 12:19 PM
In theory it should be once in a while,the whole idea that anyone can win it would get some legitimacy. It makes even more sense when you consider that theres two world title matches at each 'Mania,and in this years case the Cena/Rock match is the main event anyway. The only real problem is how they'd book the winner afterwards,if they portray it as a fluke without building them up before 'Mania its a waste,essentially you've got the same scenario as MITB in how the winners perceived. Although if the follow Hanso/Noids approach you get someone a solid 2-3 month exposure which is more than most Rumble winners get or need.

Kane Knight
01-27-2012, 12:36 PM
In theory it should be once in a while,the whole idea that anyone can win it would get some legitimacy.

I always thought the nobodies should get the occasional bone anyway, especially in the era where they most promoted "Anything can happen in the WWF/E."

But I maintain, you don't have to actually win to have that happen. Just giving a solid showing against a champion, in the rumble, etc is enough. The title/event is less material than a good showing. It might be more legitimising in the long run to have a hot match over a sudden win.

Assuming they can keep focused for more than three weeks.

whiteyford
01-27-2012, 12:53 PM
Like Glanville said,making it to the final four and eliminating a HHH/Undertaker calibre talent should be enough to elavate a talent, but yeah it all comes down to how they follow that up.

Kane Knight
01-27-2012, 04:02 PM
Like Glanville said

And Kane Knight already kinda said before that....:p

whiteyford
01-27-2012, 04:25 PM
Yeah but i like Glanville:kiss:

Mr. Nerfect
01-27-2012, 07:49 PM
As Glanville and whiteyford have suggested, you don't need to win the Royal Rumble to be elevated from it. Didn't it use to be that at least one of the Final Four was not exactly a big name star? I remember in 2001, you had Billy Gunn in there right up until the end. Even Kane doing so well and setting records and the like was a bit of a surprise.

In 2002, Mr. Perfect came in third place, I believe, after Kurt Angle and Triple H -- lasting longer than Stone Cold Steve Austin -- who won the event in 2001. Going back in time, 2000 had X-Pac make the Final Four, coming in at #30 to eliminate Kane before getting tossed by Big Show (but technically coming in third place), with Billy Gunn almost making the Final Four again.

whiteyford
01-27-2012, 08:08 PM
I think the only problem with Glanville, and who ever else's point, is that getting down to the last few is only benificial if thats built upon, actually being a Rumble winner gives them a level of credibility regardless,i can't think of anyone whose won the Rumble that hasn't went on to be a World champion eventually. The problem there is that they used to put the KOTR over like that too.

Mr. Nerfect
01-27-2012, 10:55 PM
I think the only problem with Glanville, and who ever else's point, is that getting down to the last few is only benificial if thats built upon, actually being a Rumble winner gives them a level of credibility regardless,i can't think of anyone whose won the Rumble that hasn't went on to be a World champion eventually. The problem there is that they used to put the KOTR over like that too.

I agree entirely. Just doing well in the Royal Rumble, as has been brought up here time and time again (Billy Gunn, Maven, X-Pac, etc.) isn't enough if it's not done right.

glanville6
01-28-2012, 02:56 AM
They tried harder with Maven than anyone, too. I think they did it right, but...just not with the right person. If I remember correctly, this was 5 months or so before Taker and Jeff Hardy had that ladder match. I think Jeff Hardy in that Maven spot would have worked really well and put Jeff over really well.

Not that Hardy wasn't over, but he could have been a main eventer right there.

Next Big Thing
01-28-2012, 11:34 AM
I think it could be used to give a Superstars/NXT guy credibility in a feud with an upper midcard guy he eventually "costs" a title shot to by eliminating him. I think it could also be used to give a midcard guy on the cusp a boost to main event status, assuming he has had some build up prior.

Having someone like Barretta or Kidd actually win the Rumble would be shocking, but after that wore off the majority of the fans would tune out.

Disturbed316
01-28-2012, 12:09 PM
Wasn't Yokozuna relatively "unkown" when he won the Rumble?

steveweiser
01-28-2012, 04:32 PM
bit of a baptism of fire, throw an undercard guy in there, nobody sees it coming and brings a huge talking point back to the WWE, if they dont live up to expectations you could cut them from storylines somehow or lose at mania, its not forever if need not be

Kane Knight
01-28-2012, 04:36 PM
Yeah but i like Glanville:kiss:

Fair enough, just don't lecture me on something I said first.

That's Noid's job.

Flash Funk
01-28-2012, 04:36 PM
I agree, this would be the best year to do it with Rock/Cena and the Taker man going for 20-0. Then in future years when they say things like "Jinder Mahal could very well win the Royal Rumble" we couldn't totally dismiss it.

Swiss Ultimate
01-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Jericho gets eliminated at the end of the rumble by one of the jobbers that they fed to Brodus Clay and then he gets super angry about missing out on all the mind-fucking promos he had set up for after he won the Rumble.

Jordan
01-28-2012, 05:04 PM
Jericho gets eliminated at the end of the rumble by one of the jobbers that they fed to Brodus Clay and then he gets super angry about missing out on all the mind-fucking promos he had set up for after he won the Rumble.

That would be hilarious. HAWKINS FOR THE WIN

Mr. Nerfect
01-28-2012, 10:02 PM

You know, that's not entirely out of the realm of possibility. I think it would do more to hurt Jericho for a big name to eliminate him (if he's not winning the match). It makes Jericho appear "silver medal" quality, as opposed to him being dumped out due to arrogance or freak error in a moment that "should not have happened."

If they're going with a darker Jericho (eventually), then this could be the trigger to get him there, too. Jericho's constantly put younger guys over (JTG, Heath Slater and Evan Bourne all come to mind), and if he got dumped out by a Zack Ryder or Kofi Kingston, it would be huge for them.

Damndirty
01-29-2012, 01:35 PM
I actually want to see Kofi win this one, but I am not expecting it.
I expect Del Rio comes back and wins it twice in a row, or Jericho does it.

XCaliber
01-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Wasn't Yokozuna relatively "unkown" when he won the Rumble?

Hadn't been around all that long but same could be said about ADR when he won it.