PDA

View Full Version : ****ing Mccaw...****ing Canucks

KleptoKlown
05-04-2004, 02:28 AM
letting go of Burke :nono:

MoRcHeEbA
05-04-2004, 03:25 AM
yeah wtf, Boston just became the luckiest team ever. Lets see, Burke takes over a team that is losing 30 Million a year and finishes about 9th or 10th in the confrence. 6 years later they win a division, are now making a profit for the team. He's got rid of Bure and everyone thought he was nuts... Horrible move whatever team gets him will have my respect.

Heyman
05-04-2004, 03:27 AM
I pray to god that McCaw comes to his senses and changes his mind.

Probably won't happen though. :'(

YOUR Hero
05-04-2004, 11:24 PM
Burke sort of burnt his bridges with his over vocal actions. The Mccaws are very low key and from what I understand they found their frontman, Burke, to be too vocal and somewhat embarrassing.

The team does need somewhat of a major shakeup and maybe with Burke still there, he wouldn't make the needed moves since he's worked so hard to put this team together. I just hope whoever they put in place is someone within the organazation so the team isn't gutted and whatnot. Tambellinni or Crawford.

Also, as with St. Louis when they let their GM go, people think these are purely economical moves with the impending strike coming. No need paying out millions of dollars to management that isn't going to have anything to manage.

The CyNick
05-05-2004, 12:29 AM
Dropping Burke is one of the dumbest moves in the history of the NHL.

da_king
05-05-2004, 10:29 AM
<font color="#ccffcc">

the thing i don't really get is that with a new CBA comming up, guys who can ice a competitive team while working under a budget (like burke) are going to be extremley valuable.
</font>

Heyman
05-05-2004, 04:46 PM

This is the same organization that traded Cam Neely for Barry Pederson. :nono:

p.s. And da king - your comments are 100% correct.

John la Rock
05-05-2004, 05:22 PM

:y:

Heyman
05-05-2004, 10:35 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Dave Nonis take over I GUESS. Nonis has proven himself to be a respectable contract negotiator.

I hope McCaw knows what he's doing.

da_king
05-07-2004, 10:23 AM
<font color="#ccffcc">
well it's official, nonis is the guy. not a bad choice, he knows the the organization more than an outsider would and is used to dealing with player contracts. downside is his lack of actual gm experience but he's been mentored by burke for a long while now so hopefully he'll know his stuff. pretty emotional press confrence too.

</font>

Heyman
05-07-2004, 08:28 PM
<font color="#ccffcc">
well it's official, nonis is the guy. not a bad choice, he knows the the organization more than an outsider would and is used to dealing with player contracts. downside is his lack of actual gm experience but he's been mentored by burke for a long while now so hopefully he'll know his stuff. pretty emotional press confrence too.

</font>

My concern about Nonis is his ability to judge talent. There is no doubt he will be more than adequate when it comes to delaing with the public, and getting contracts done, but how will he do evaluating talent in any potential trades? What about drafting?

I realize he has peices around him and has been around a while, I just worry that when it comes to hockey decisions, he is somewhat of a downgrade. Hopefully Tambellini sticks around for a year or two in his position of assistant GM...

YOUR Hero
05-07-2004, 10:36 PM
Nonis is a smart guy. If he feels he needs more people within his inner circle, he;ll get them.

MoRcHeEbA
05-07-2004, 11:08 PM
My concern about Nonis is his ability to judge talent. There is no doubt he will be more than adequate when it comes to delaing with the public, and getting contracts done, but how will he do evaluating talent in any potential trades? What about drafting?

There's a reason they have scouting staff ;) most GM's are only shown players that the scouts like anyways. They usually just pick the one they like best :p

KleptoKlown
05-08-2004, 03:11 PM
Well im glad they kept it withen the organization. Still think that letting Burke go was a big **** up, but Nonis will do a fine job. Tambelline(sp) would have been fine as well. Nice to know you have extra guys ready to take over at any time I guess :-\

Heyman
05-08-2004, 05:13 PM
I wonder what Dan Russel thinks about all of this.

Did his attitude towards Brian Burke change when the canucks started winning?

When I used to live in BC during highschool (98/99), Dan Russel was VERY anti-Burke. Every night on Sports Talk, he used to bash Burke and the canucks ENDLESSLY.

I wonder what he thinks of Burke's firing. Did he comment on it?

da_king
05-09-2004, 02:27 PM
<font color="#ccffcc">
i think russells reaction just sort of mirrored what everyone else was thinking, that it was really strange but it's the owners right to do what he wants. i think russel and burke had some feud going for a while there for reasons i don't know, i think it may have had something to do with russell not getting the broadcasting job when robson and then hughson left. also there was a phase there don taylor took over the show or something, don't know the whole story there. burke used to be a regular on the show and they seemed pretty good friends and then, yeah, he went through a phase where he seemed to really pick on burke but i think it's imporved the last little while, don't know if it's related to the winning or if it's just burke and russell mending fences.

</font>