PDA

View Full Version : Sheamus Speculation

Anybody Thrilla
02-04-2012, 12:26 PM
So Sheamus has built up a pretty impressive resume in his short time of prominence in WWE. A former WWE champion, King of the Ring, and now Royal Rumble winner. As far as I can tell, he's definitely got the goods...but do you guys think he's ready to become one of the "elite"?

A couple questions for you all:

1) Was the Sheamus Rumble win premature, or do you feel it was time to pull the trigger on him?

and

2) What do you think the Wrestlemania plans are for Sheamus? Punk and Bryan both seem to be wrapped up elsewhere, but Elimination Chamber is right around the corner, so things could change.

GO.

Innovator
02-04-2012, 12:31 PM
I think Sheamus needed the win, he was pegged to win the Rumble in the early fall but then they had him do nothing for 3 months. He needed that extra little something to put him over the top. I think the early WWE title runs hurt him more than anything, since he free fell into not even having a Mania match last year.

If I had the book/pen/tear in my eye, I would have Henry (if he's healthy enough) win the Chamber. I felt that before Henry got hurt Mania was lined up to be Sheamus taking on the unbeatable monster Mark Henry.

St. Jimmy
02-04-2012, 12:34 PM
I'd much rather see Danielson vs. Anyone at Mania. If it's Sheamus, fine.

Anybody Thrilla
02-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Remember when Sheamus was going to wrestle Daniel Bryan at last year's Mania, then they were just like "psyche"? Maybe we'll get that for real this year with the title on the line?

XL
02-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Judging by the reaction he's getting from the live crowd he's more than ready to step up to the Big Boys Table.

I could see some form of multi-man match for the World Heavyweight Championship at Mania. Hard to believe that Orton will be cut from the headline match on the SmackDown side of things. So, Sheamus v Bryan v Orton v Barrett?

Anybody Thrilla
02-04-2012, 12:42 PM
I could get behind that match. I love all four of those guys.

Supreme Olajuwon
02-04-2012, 12:45 PM
He got over as a badass heel, which as we know makes it acceptable to cheer for him as a face. Plus he's pretty darn talented and looks like a main eventer. I'd say it was the right call to put him over.

Def think he should go over Bryan instead of Henry though. He needs to start off his reign on a positive note, and a match with Bryan would absolutely do that.

#1-norm-fan
02-04-2012, 12:55 PM
He'd go in as the huge favorite over Bryan. I don't like that. The Sheamus-Henry feud ended abruptly last summer with Henry beating Sheamus at SummerSlam (albeit by countout) and Sheamus failing to end Henry's reign of terror. The match wasn't half bad either. It should be Sheamus vs Henry at WrestleMania.

Supreme Olajuwon
02-04-2012, 12:58 PM
I don't really care about favorites. Bryan is playing the chicken shit heel who will do anything to win. That's fine.

Plus I'd rather have an entertaining match more than anything else.

Anybody Thrilla
02-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Didn't Sheamus get a count out victory over Henry on the Smackdown after SummerSlam or something? Also, the allure of Henry's reign of terror being stopped has all but dissipated with him losing the title to The Big Show and being punked numerous times by not only the Big Show, but Sheamus himself.

Bryan's whole title reign has been based on the fact that he isn't supposed to win, but he somehow finds a way to do it. With the luck of the Irish on his side, maybe Sheamus will be the one to pull the horseshoe out of Bryan's arse. I don't think the deck would seem too stacked against Bryan with all of the crazy title defenses he's squeaked out of.

#1-norm-fan
02-04-2012, 01:04 PM
They would need to find a way to make it seem like Bryan can win a one on one match with Sheamus. I doubt there would be enough hype for Bryan finally getting what's coming to him to make it interesting meaning they'd have to find a way to make it seem like he can somehow win a one on one match against Sheamus.

#1-norm-fan
02-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Especially after they will have built this as "Sheamus' rise" back to the top. Beating Daniel Bryan is a pretty weak pinnacle to that rise.

Anybody Thrilla
02-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Well how about they just book the match and have Bryan go over? I'd be OK with that too.

#1-norm-fan
02-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Hmm...

#1-norm-fan
02-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Kinda don't want Sheamus to lose ever again. lol

Anybody Thrilla
02-04-2012, 01:09 PM
I want to milk this Bryan title run for as long as possible because I don't really see him ever being the champ again once it's over. I think he's doing a great job right now, though.

Evil Vito
02-04-2012, 01:10 PM
<font color=goldenrod>I think Sheamus/Bryan is definitely the way to go. It would be a fantastic match and it would be neat to see them come full circle after being snubbed from last year's Mania. It would also work for Bryan's character to have him somehow escape the Chamber with his title intact.

Bryan's also the perfect opponent for Sheamus because I think Sheamus should end the 4 year streak of Rumble winners not making the most of their title opportunity. As such, he should be facing a heel and I'd hate to see Barrett or Rhodes be a 1 month transitional champ for their first reign.</font>

#1-norm-fan
02-04-2012, 01:14 PM
GOD, I hope it's not Barrett or Rhodes.

Hell, Orton wouldn't be a terrible choice but I feel like with Rock vs Cena, another face vs face match would be too much.

El Fangel
02-04-2012, 01:15 PM
From not even following the product closely for a long time I can say Sheamus deserved it.

As for I would like to see him face, It would be Punk.

Anybody Thrilla
02-04-2012, 01:18 PM
I have no interest in Sheamus v. Punk @ Wrestlemania unless Sheamus turns and becomes the muscle for John Laurinitis...but it's too early for him to turn back to heel now.

#1-norm-fan
02-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Yeah. Gotta be Sheamus vs the world heavyweight champ.

St. Jimmy
02-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Bryan vs. Sheamus vs. Barrett vs. Rhodes is best case scenario.

Orton needs a singles match to make him look good, possibly with some vet.

St. Jimmy
02-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Just fucking swerve everyone and give us what we want: Jericho vs. Danielson vs. Punk

Anybody Thrilla
02-04-2012, 01:25 PM
Bryan vs. Sheamus vs. Barrett vs. Rhodes is best case scenario.

Orton needs a singles match to make him look good, possibly with some vet.

That match seems a little heel-heavy as it stands. You would almost need to have Orton involved just for some balance. However...

Just fucking swerve everyone and give us what we want: Jericho vs. Danielson vs. Punk

...if this is on the table, I don't even give a fuck about the other side of things.

Evil Vito
02-04-2012, 01:39 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Another possible idea (not one I'd do, but just brainstorming) would be to have Miz or Ziggler win the WWE Title at the Chamber. Presumably, Jericho would get eliminated by Punk and Jericho would get some revenge before he leaves, setting up the title change and their WM match. Sheamus would then elect to challenge the Raw champion. Jericho/Punk is a big enough match that the WWE Title wouldn't be necessary per se.

I don't want this to happen, because again a 1 month title reign for either Miz or Ziggler would accomplish nothing. It'd also basically guarantee Orton is in the World Heavyweight Title match since there'd be no other faces left on the SmackDown side. But I wouldn't put it past WWE to throw a curveball like that, it's been a few years since the Rumble winner decided to challenge the other brand's champion.</font>

XL
02-04-2012, 02:28 PM
I don't like the idea of the guy going into the title match bein champ just for the month but I do like what it sets up.

Jericho v Punk
Sheamus v Ziggler (WWE Title)
Bryan v Orton (WHC)

Anybody Thrilla
02-04-2012, 02:38 PM
This won't happen, but it crossed my mind at the beginning of this past Smackdown...

You know how Cody Rhodes has been spending all of this time "elevating" the Intercontinental championship to a new level of prestige? Remember how he talked about doing "all of the work" in the Royal Rumble?

Well, the winner of the Rumble traditionally has gotten a shot at ANY title, right? What if Cody kept antagonizing Sheamus and telling him that if he REALLY wanted to be the top champion, he would have to become the Intercontinental champion. At first, Sheamus would laugh at the idea, but Cody's continued attacks and taunting set that Irish fire ablaze, and he finally uses his Royal Rumble shot for Cody's Intercontinental title at Wrestlemania.

I know it won't happen, and I think they actually clarified "one of the show's world titles" for the first time this year, but I think it could have been interesting.

Rammsteinmad
02-04-2012, 02:41 PM
So, Sheamus v Bryan v Orton v Barrett?

This is exactly what I'm predicting/hoping for at Wrestlemania.

All four men have intertwining angles and histories, and we haven't had a 4-Way title match at Wrestlemania since WM16.

Lock Jaw
02-04-2012, 02:41 PM
I kind of want Sheamus to be in a singles match, but do not want to see Daniel Bryan as champ at Mania.

The only other possible match I could see though is a triple threat Sheamus vs. Barrett vs. Orton

Lock Jaw
02-04-2012, 02:46 PM
NO WAIT. Screw all that. Have Christian kill The Great Khali, take his spot in The Chamber. He wins it and fights Sheamus at Mania.

By far the best option.

Especially if they let Christian win at Mania.

XL
02-04-2012, 03:01 PM
I pitched Christian v Sheamus for Elimination Chamber but that is better.

Jordan
02-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Well after the Ryan Clark report of an all former champions Money In The Bank, it allows Punk/Jericho ...

I can't see Orton not getting the title at The Elimination Chamber so I think we will get a babyface-off with Sheamus and Orton at Mania... perhaps. I mean it's the "biggest match" they could do, plus Orton deserves it more than anyone else.

Bryan would be great in Money In The Bank, even though I'd love to see him face Sheamus I don't think its a safe prediciton.

XCaliber
02-04-2012, 06:45 PM
I'd say it was the right time if anything they pushed him way too hard early in his tenure and quickly fell down the ladder but was lucky enough to bounce right back. He should challenge for the WHC and Bryan should still be the champ after EC and it should remain as a 1 on 1 match but if they decide to maybe toss Orton is as a 3rd person i'd be okay with that but no one else. Either way the match will be overshadowed by Rock/Cena, Jericho/Punk, Undertaker/Triple H 3, and MITB which is why I believe was the reason he was booked to win it and not Jericho in the end.

Kane Knight
02-04-2012, 06:46 PM
Sheamus seemed premature when he was a champion. Anything beyond that doesn't really seem premature anymore.

Mr. Nerfect
02-04-2012, 06:52 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Another possible idea (not one I'd do, but just brainstorming) would be to have Miz or Ziggler win the WWE Title at the Chamber. Presumably, Jericho would get eliminated by Punk and Jericho would get some revenge before he leaves, setting up the title change and their WM match. Sheamus would then elect to challenge the Raw champion. Jericho/Punk is a big enough match that the WWE Title wouldn't be necessary per se.

I don't want this to happen, because again a 1 month title reign for either Miz or Ziggler would accomplish nothing. It'd also basically guarantee Orton is in the World Heavyweight Title match since there'd be no other faces left on the SmackDown side. But I wouldn't put it past WWE to throw a curveball like that, it's been a few years since the Rumble winner decided to challenge the other brand's champion.</font>

This is exactly what I see happening. At Elimination Chamber, I could see the last three guys in the RAW Chamber being Punk, Miz and Jericho. Punk hits the GTS on Jericho and eliminates him, which pisses off Jericho, who then nails Punk with a sneaky Codebreaker, allowing The Miz to get the pin and capture his second WWE Championship.

This sets up:

a) The Miz vs. Sheamus for the WWE Championship, which I think would give a lot of people backstage a boner. The Miz and Sheamus are both great at public appearances, and could hype a title match between each other like nobody's business. It won't be the most personal match on the WrestleMania card, and would simply be Sheamus calling The Miz as "horse's arse that talks too much" and The Miz claiming to be the champion the WWE needs to move forward, but with The Rock vs. John Cena confirmed, this is a pretty sizable WWE Title match that could further cement the main event status of both Miz and Sheamus.

b) CM Punk vs. Chris Jericho, which will be an amazing in-ring exhibition, but really doesn't need the WWE Title. Jericho understands that he doesn't need to be in the title picture anymore, and Punk is smart enough to understand that being a babyface and chasing after being screwed out of what is rightfully yours is not exactly bad for his momentum as a babyface. Punk vs. Jericho is at the stage where it could be seen as a "main event" without a title in there, and it seems to fit Jericho's failure at the Rumble. If he fails at Elimination Chamber, a bitter Jericho can look to show the world he still has it.

Meanwhile, I think that Randy Orton is a logical choice to challenge Daniel Bryan for the World Heavyweight Championship. There is money on Bryan constantly escaping with the World Heavyweight Title, and he can basically ensure the best match possible out of whoever dethrones him. That being said, I can't see the Orton/Barrett stuff being done. Yeah, Barrett could appear in Money in the Bank, or we might even get Wade vs. Orton for the WHC; but I think the best way to go is a Triple Threat between the guys. Yeah, they've done three Triple Threats for the WHC at Mania in the title's ten year history, but they could shake the match up a bit. They could have an elimination stipulation, which I think could actually be a nice way to have Bryan retain the title at Mania (I think his heel reign could really have legs, and could set up a more personal feud for the WHC).

My ideal booking would be for Orton to eliminate Barrett with an RKO, and then Barrett helps Bryan retain. Yeah, it'd be so similar to the Jericho/Punk/Miz stuff, but it makes sense, and would lead to Orton vs. Barrett in some sort of Extreme Rules Match at the next PPV (or perhaps another Falls Count Anywhere Match to play off that being the match that Barrett took out Orton in), while Bryan is all "YES! YES! YES! I'm the best!" before Big Show or someone challenges him. Or maybe a returning babyface Mark Henry? Or even a babyface Christian? Yeah, let's go with this:

* Daniel Bryan retains in the Elimination Chamber by being super-sneaky, despite everyone thinking he will lose.

* Sheamus beats some heel to build momentum for WrestleMania. Let's go with Drew McIntyre, who is still trying to prove he belongs on the SmackDown! roster. Hell, throw in Hunico and Jinder Mahal to make it a Gauntlet test for Sheamus, of sorts.

* The Miz wins the WWE Title in the main event due to Jericho taking out CM Punk after being eliminated.

* Sheamus chooses to face The Miz for the WWE Title. Both men go on talk shows to talk about how they're the new top dogs.

* Daniel Bryan is all "YES! YES! YES! I don't have an opponent!" so Theodore Long announces some sort of two-week tournament to decide who faces Bryan. Shenanigans ensure, and Orton and Barrett both end up as Bryan's opponents.

* At WrestleMania, Orton pins Wade Barrett to eliminate him from the Triple Threat Elimination Match. It's down to Bryan and Orton, so Bryan gets himself purposely disqualified. Theodore Long comes out and says "Hold on a minute, playa. This ain't goin' down at WrestleMania, ya feel me? We're going to continue this match... and it's going to be No Disqualification! Holla, holla, holla!" Bryan shits himself, but just as it looks like Orton is about to win, Wade Barrett takes him out with a steel chair shot to the back. Bryan then pins Orton and makes it through the biggest show of the year with his World Heavyweight Championship.

* Sheamus Brogue Kicks The Miz and becomes the WWE Champion at WrestleMania for the third time in his career (but his first reign as a babyface).

* At Extreme Rules, we get Sheamus defending the WWE Championship against The Miz in an Extreme Rules Match; Daniel Bryan defending the World Heavyweight Title against Christian in a Ladder Match; some sort of multi-man match featuring John Cena, Alberto Del Rio, Kane, R-Truth and other main eventers to decide a #1 Contender for the WWE Title; Randy Orton facing Wade Barrett in a Falls Count Anywhere Match; Mick Foley and Dolph Ziggler battling in a Hardcore Match with Ziggler's MITB briefcase on the line (Ziggler wins MITB at WrestleMania and is forced to put his title shot on the line against Foley); and Kharma killing Beth Phoenix in an Extreme Rules Match.

* Bryan retains his World Heavyweight Title against Christian and Sheamus remains the WWE Champion. Dolph Ziggler cashes in, however, having a career night defeating both Foley and Sheamus in one night to become the WWE Champion. Meanwhile, John Cena is the #1 Contender for the WWE Title. Over the Limit sees Orton get "one last shot" at the World Heavyweight Title, after he is drafted to RAW and Bryan thinks he doesn't need to defend against him anymore. Cena faces Ziggler, while Sheamus battles Jack Swagger to build momentum back to the WWE Title picture. Either Ziggler or Cena is drafted to SmackDown! (with Supershows it doesn't really matter if Cena is officially SmackDown! or not), and there's the hyped possibility of the WWE Title and World Heavyweight Title switching brands.

XL
02-04-2012, 08:35 PM
What about Punk/Jericho? What are they up to?

Triple Naitch
02-04-2012, 08:37 PM
I think it was now or never for Sheamus. He has never been hotter as he is right now and the company seems to be really behind him outside of the ring.

I would like to see a triple threat between Orton, Barrett, and Sheamus at Wrestlemania but not sure how to work it out. I feel like you need Orton to add that extra star power to one of the main events.

Fox
02-04-2012, 09:56 PM
I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't believe in the Sheamus hype. He's proven that he can work, but there are a ton of guy who are either on the roster now or who have come through the ranks of the WWE and been let go who could work just as well if not better than Sheamus.

I don't care much for his promo ability and I think his character lacks any kind of real edge. As a heel he was pretty entertaining, but as a face I don't know if I buy him or not.

I think he's gotten pushed way too hard, and a lot of it has to do with the fact that he's in Triple H's back pocket. That's worked in his favor far more than anything else.

Jericho should have won the Rumble - it would have been the big pay off to his return and the strange angles leading up to the Rumble with Jericho not speaking. Sheamus' win basically came out of nowhere, and he would have benefited from an earned #1 contendership victory for Mania as he will from the Rumble win. A Jericho win at the Rumble would have been one of those "moments." Sheamus' win? Not so much.

XL
02-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Does Jericho deserve to walk back in the door and be given a huge win like the Rumble victory though?

#1-norm-fan
02-04-2012, 10:29 PM
Sure.

But it was predictable and since Sheamus and Jericho are both probably getting title shots at WrestleMania, why not give the Rumble win to Sheamus?

Lock Jaw
02-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Does Jericho deserve to walk back in the door and be given a huge win like the Rumble victory though?

Yeah, for sure.

#1-norm-fan
02-04-2012, 10:40 PM
It seems like people focus a lot on what a certain wrestler "deserves".

The ENTIRE BUSINESS revolves around pleasing the fans whether it be in the long run or short. No wrestler "deserves" anything.

Kane Knight
02-04-2012, 11:07 PM

He's Jericho. The answer's pretty much "yes."

Jericholic
02-05-2012, 01:31 AM
Orton could win at Elimination Chamber and Sheamus would challenge him at Wrestlemania

Jericho and Punk face each other for the title (either could have it), and Daniel Bryan wins MITB at Mania and then cashes in to make it a Triple Threat Match for the title, and follows through on his promise to cash in at Wrestlemania

#1-norm-fan
02-05-2012, 01:51 AM
Iiiinteresting...

Shadrick
02-05-2012, 06:28 AM
Daniel Bryan wins MITB twice in a year in your scenario?

Cool King
02-05-2012, 07:33 AM
Orton could win at Elimination Chamber and Sheamus would challenge him at Wrestlemania

Jericho and Punk face each other for the title (either could have it), and Daniel Bryan wins MITB at Mania and then cashes in to make it a Triple Threat Match for the title, and follows through on his promise to cash in at Wrestlemania

I was thinking along the lines of that but instead of Bryan, have Christian win the MITB match.

Just some bullet points here about what might happen. I thought I'd put this before the bullet points, so to mention that all of this was thought up on the stop as I was typing, so no real thought has went into it, it's just what made sense and sounded interesting as I was typing.

Bryan somehow wins the SmackDown Elimination Chamber match.
The Miz wins the Raw Elimination Chamber match. The Miz is WWE Champion.
Sheamus selects to go after The WWE Championship.
The Miz talks about how he's now main evented two WrestleMania's in a row, both entering as WWE Champion and WrestleMania XXVIII will be no different from WrestleMania XXVII.
Bryan has nobody to face at WrestleMania.
Long schedules an Over The Top Rope Battle Royal on SmackDown.
Three men left, Orton, Barrett and Gabriel.
Barrett is eliminated by Orton.
Barrett sneaks back in as the ref's are busy breaking up a fight. (Let's just say DiBiase & Mahal)
Orton Eliminates Gabriel but is then quickly eliminated by Barrett.
Barrett is number one contender
Orton protsets to Long the next week and Long says that Barrett was declared the winner and he can't take someone out of the match, but he can add someone to it and that he'll add Orton to the match.
We now have a Triple Threat Match for the World Heavyweight Championship. Bryan/Barrett/Orton.
At WrestleMania Sheamus wins the WWE Championship. The WWE Championship is now a SmackDown Exclusive Title.
Orton Wins the World Heavyweight Championship.
SmackDown now has two World Titles.
Orton is beat up badly and is celebrating when Christian's music hits.
Christian runs to the ring and cashes in his MITB briefcase which he won at the beginning of the PPV.
Christian wins the World Heavyweight Championship.
On SmackDown, Christian claims that he got his payback on Orton for what he did during his first reign as World Heavyweight Champion and that the match at WrestleMania was his "One More Match".
Orton comes out and is pissed and we have an Orton/Christian feud again.
The Draft comes along before Extreme Rules and Christian is drafted to Raw, just as he was about to face Orton in a Title match at the PPV.
On Raw, Christian says how awesome he is and his interupted by John Cena. Cena and Christian have a bitchfest at each other and it ignites a Christian/Cena fued (Hello, 2005), but over the World Heavyweight Championship.
Over on SmackDown, Orton is even more pissed off because he never got his title shot.
Long says he can't do anything as Sheamus already has an opponent for the WWE Championship. (Classic bias from Long ;))
During the WWE Championship match at Extreme Rules, Sheamus retains his title.
Orton comes out of nowhere and RKO's Sheamus. Orton Heel Turn.
We now have a Sheamus/Orton feud over the WWE Championship on SmackDown.

All that could possibly lead into Summerslam, I don't know.

I get the feeling at the moment, some of the matches that will be on the card at WrestleMania will be....

Cena vs Rock
Punk vs Jericho
Sheamus vs The Miz (WWE Championship Match)
Barrett vs Orton vs Bryan (World Heavyweight Championship Match)
Ryder vs Kane
Kharma vs Phoenix (Diva's Championship)

#1-norm-fan
02-05-2012, 12:08 PM
Punk and Jericho should be for the title. It's the biggest match on the card except for Cena vs Rock. This whole "Well, it doesn't need to world title" thing has a limit. At some point when you've kept knocking the world title down the card because matches "don't need it" you've put the title as a midcard title. It doesn't make any sense. It is THE crown jewel of the company. Hell there's two of them now and neither is big enough to be competed for in the top two matches at WrestleMania? Come on.

Kane Knight
02-05-2012, 04:47 PM
Oh my God, you're right. They're devaluing a fake title in a fake sport.

XL
02-05-2012, 04:54 PM
Bryan retains at EC.
Sheamus decides to face him at Mania.
Somehow Barrett and Orton get involved.
Teddy Long comes out and books all of them in....a TAG TEAM MATCH for WrestleMania. HOLLA HOLLA.

#1-norm-fan
02-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Oh my God, you're right. They're devaluing a fake title in a fake sport.

Kane Knight doesn't believe in titles.

#1-norm-fan
02-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Pushes also don't matter. Nor does the placement of matches on a given card. It's all fake. The feuds are fake too. They're meaningless. The matches are fake, why have matches? Those promos? They're not really angry! Why have fake promos in a fake sport? All meaningless.