PDA

View Full Version : Rock vs Hogan Wresltemania 18...and Raw

Wake Up Call
02-12-2012, 11:06 AM
Can Rock/Cena even come close to creating the atmosphere the Rock/Hogan did at Wrestlemania? Maybe, seeing as it is in Miami and that's the Rocks hometown. However, what about the Raw afterwards?

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uuc-LKVeTP0" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

#1-norm-fan
02-12-2012, 11:11 AM
I think it will top it atmosphere-wise and match-wise.

Rammsteinmad
02-12-2012, 12:10 PM
The match will definitely be better, I don't know if it will be 'greater' though.

#1-norm-fan
02-12-2012, 12:38 PM
Cena and Rock will have a much bigger impact on the business. Rock isn't as far into "has-been" territory as Hogan was and Cena isn't in his last year or so full-time like Rock was and also garners a better "big fight" reaction than Rock did. Rock was booed by default, Cena will be booed because they'll genuinely want to hate Cena. I think it's going to be better in every way.

steveweiser
02-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Looking forward to this so much, HAS to be better wrestling wise and atmosphere wise due to the hatred for Cena like no other. Rock in his some town too, this will be huge. Or at least i hope so, just a shame from my point we don't see Rock that often anymore but he did have his spotlight and shone for a long time so i don't mind too much.

St. Jimmy
02-12-2012, 01:09 PM
No. /thread

Gerard
02-12-2012, 01:49 PM
No. /thread

^ This.

Arashi Kage
02-12-2012, 01:58 PM
I was at WM18, so I'd like to say "no".

WM18 was like a ceremonial gathering of WWF fans who grew up with watching WWF Superstars after Saturday morning cartoons. Canada was nWo country and Hulkamania country - even the atmosphere outside of SkyDome before the event was electric, with many people wearing old school Hogan shirts and/or bandanas from the late 80's.

While serving as Hogan's final run, it was also our last run as serious fans of professional wrestling.

It's cool how 10 years later, this Rock-Cena thing is sort of full circle. I do feel like it is a notch below Hogan-Rock, however, there is a whole new generation of fans now.

For us, we grew up with Hogan, and were still serious fans during the attitude era (high school years), and don't relate to Cena and the current product. The question is, are there still a significant number of fans who watched the Rock 10-12 years ago, and still follow wrestling today? Can this new generation of fans "bring it", like the fans did 10 years ago?

#1-norm-fan
02-12-2012, 02:25 PM
No. /thread

Flawless reasoning...

Zeeboe
02-12-2012, 02:36 PM
Not a chance. :)

Jura
02-12-2012, 04:12 PM
No. Hogan/Rock were bigger than Cena and The Rock now. Since Cena is not an old dude they have a better chance at having a better match in a lot of aspects but the dynamic, atmosphere, etc would probably not be on par with Hogan/Rock.

XCaliber
02-12-2012, 06:50 PM
From a personal standpoint heck no I grew up watching Hogan and The Rock was like my favorite wrestler at the time unless there is some major buildup soon I just don't see it happening but what transpires afterwards could prove to be more interesting that event made Hogan turn face so this one could very well finally turn Cena heel again.

Emperor Smeat
02-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Match-wise, it should be better considering Rock is younger and better athletic than Hogan as the "legend" in the match but it won't have that special feeling of the sudden crowd shift that came out of no where Hogan-Rock had.

The crowd spontaneously turned on The Rock even though he was the face and cheered Hogan even though he was the heel. Its already assumed for the Cena-Rock match, the crowd would be heavy pro-Rock especially since its in his hometown and both wrestlers are just faces who don't like each other but still work together (ex. Summerslam).

Swish
02-12-2012, 08:43 PM
No. Simply because The Rock and Hogan both appeared in box office smash hit movies. like (Tooth Fairy, and Gremlins 2.). The fans loved it so much..

That The Rock and Hogan will re-unite in a movie called.
(Black Jacked). I can't wait..

But back on topic The hype last year was good but coming back to say he's facing Cena this year was just to hype up the ppv it's self not the match.

I bet you now Kane will face Cena at Mania as it's looking likely.
100% says we won't get Rock vs Cena.... It just won't happen.

Jordan
02-12-2012, 09:39 PM
I think that Rock/Cena is the biggest match of all time.

CSL
02-12-2012, 09:42 PM
not a chance the atmosphere will be the same, not without a roof

Captain of Fun
02-12-2012, 09:51 PM
No chance, for reason's stated above.

I was there, and it was one of the most incredible things I've ever experienced. There were people fucking crying.

Jordan
02-12-2012, 09:56 PM
You guys do realize that this isn't Rock/Hogan II (or III) right? Don't compare and you won't be disappointed. I really hope that The Rock is dick enough so that they can do the fans switching sides during the match to Cena's corner, I'm not counting on it but it would be cool. Other than that, expect the most heated crowd since Rock/Hogan for sure. Though the no roof factor could come into play on that, we'll see.

#1-norm-fan
02-12-2012, 10:00 PM
not a chance the atmosphere will be the same, not without a roof

Damn, I didn't think about the fact that there's no roof. That's gonna hurt it.

XL
02-13-2012, 08:56 AM
No. Simply because The Rock and Hogan both appeared in box office smash hit movies. like (Tooth Fairy, and Gremlins 2.). The fans loved it so much..

That The Rock and Hogan will re-unite in a movie called.
(Black Jacked). I can't wait..

But back on topic The hype last year was good but coming back to say he's facing Cena this year was just to hype up the ppv it's self not the match.

I bet you now Kane will face Cena at Mania as it's looking likely.
100% says we won't get Rock vs Cena.... It just won't happen.
:wtf:

#1-norm-fan
02-13-2012, 09:54 AM
100%

So that ends that.

DAMN iNATOR
02-13-2012, 12:59 PM
Not going to say it will be impossible but it most likely won't come anywhere near the quality of Rock v. Hogan 1 or 2 (the gaytarded one at No Way Out '03 where the power was cut mid-match by Vince thanks to Sylvain Grenier [then a referee] paying him off to do so and allowing a cheap Rock win). The crowd level might come sort of close but I even doubt that. Haven't seen an extremely hot crowd for a show since probably Backlash or Insurrextion 2002 (Insurrextion that year was the last ever event under the "WWF" banner, before the next night's RAW having a bunch of promos to "Get the 'F' Out").

Also, Wake Up Call, not to one-up you or anything but I couldn't help but notice you hadn't posted the entire segment, but I noticed a series of related vids at the end which will show the whole thing, so everyone here knows the ENTIRETY of what happened that night on RAW:

Poison Saga: Return to the People, part 1
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/IxPdQW_Scz4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Poison Saga: Return to the People, part 2
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fCBFlBQXkbo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Poison Saga: Return to the People, part 3
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uMGM-jJPVSo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OldSchoolFan
02-13-2012, 02:32 PM
I am already "over" the Cena/ Rock garbage... and honestly likely to turn WM off when this match starts. I don't know why but it has already fallen into "why waste my time" territory.

Jordan
02-13-2012, 02:57 PM
I am already "over" the Cena/ Rock garbage... and honestly likely to turn WM off when this match starts. I don't know why but it has already fallen into "why waste my time" territory.

LOL pay 60 bucks and then turn off the main event... brilliant.

Rollermacka
02-13-2012, 03:22 PM
http://www.tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?t=112299

OldSchoolFan
02-13-2012, 05:28 PM
LOL pay 60 bucks and then turn off the main event... brilliant.

But why watch it if it doesn't interest me... 2 guys who to me aren't currently entertaining to me just seems to be a waste of time... Now things COULD change between now and then but as it stands I would rather they skip it.

DAMN iNATOR
02-13-2012, 05:29 PM
But why watch it if it doesn't interest me... 2 guys who to me aren't currently entertaining to me just seems to be a waste of time... Now things COULD change between now and then but as it stands I would rather they skip it.

Because then THE CABLE COMPANIES WIN!!! :eek::( :shifty:

OldSchoolFan
02-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Damn... That is a valid point...

weather vane
02-13-2012, 05:51 PM
I cannot see it touching Rock/Hogan...

OldSchoolFan
02-13-2012, 06:02 PM
They should cancel this and do Hogan /Cena... Now THAT I would watch

Gerard
02-13-2012, 07:18 PM
They should cancel this and do Hogan /Cena... Now THAT I would watch

It would be impossible to book that match as it would never fucking end, Hogan would keep hulking up, and Cena would do his red faced, angsty constipated looking, no sell routine.

DAMN iNATOR
02-13-2012, 07:47 PM
It would be impossible to book that match as it would never fucking end, Hogan would keep hulking up, and Cena would do his red faced, angsty constipated looking, no sell routine.

Time-limit draw. :shifty:

Rock Bottom
02-14-2012, 04:02 AM
I don't think it will be as big, for far different reasons.

Hulk Hogan was the ultimate face, for a really, really long time. He was synonymous with the entire concept of a baby face. Flag-waving, children's hero, that sort of thing.

It was remarkable when Hulk Hogan turned heel and created the completely different character of Hollywood Hogan. Hulk Hogan, especially to a mark, was the one guy that you knew would never be a heel. He would always be the one to do the right thing, etc.

The night after their match (even though it actually occured during the match, when fans began to boo The Rock and cheer Hogan), their segment was really great. The Rock had enormous heat going into it, and pretty much willed the boos out of the building. I still think The Rock is the best wrestler on a microphone. What's bigger, is that Hulk Hogan officially turned face again that night. Hulk Hogan returned to his roots. The nostalgia was through the roof. And it all happened with two of the biggest names of professional wrestling, especially in modern times.

I don't think you can ever top that. Why? Because it's Hulk Hogan. There's never going to be another Hulk Hogan. Ever. That piece of history is cemented.

You just reconciled three eras in wrestling through one guy. Hogan. Cena is not Hogan, and he never will be, no matter how hard he works.