PDA

View Full Version : Funkasaurus is EXTINCT

Hanso Amore
02-15-2012, 01:28 PM
– According to sources, WWE officials have put the Brodus Clay gimmick on hold for now. Vince McMahon apparently feels that Clay needs to work on his in-ring style. The match between Clay and Heath Slater several weeks ago was said to have been the final straw. It should be noted that the match never aired on SmackDown due to post-production edits.

I didnt hear about this match? Was he not carrying his weight? Botches? Seemed the typical squash formula. Dance, T Bone, Finisher.

Poor Clay - Debut is pushed for weeks, he finally makes it with a pretty over gimmick off the bat, and now gets depushed and will probably just show back up as himself in a few weeks.

CSL
02-15-2012, 01:30 PM
my bad indeed

Razzamajazz
02-15-2012, 01:32 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WWaLxFIVX1s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hanso Amore
02-15-2012, 01:34 PM
I feel like his gimmick doesnt lend well to "time off"

He needed to keep going to get that Rikiski like "comedy of a big man dancing" following.

XL
02-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Somebody <s>Call My Momma</s> Find Me A FacePalm Meme

#BROKEN Hasney
02-15-2012, 01:40 PM
He must have gotten worse than on NXT then, looked like a fucking beast in the ring and didn't notice any botches. Maybe a little green, but a fuxking suplex machine.

Kapoutman
02-15-2012, 01:44 PM
His match were competent squash matches. Even live on Raw, I never noticed any botches. Goddammit.

St. Jimmy
02-15-2012, 01:45 PM
Thank God.

Corporate CockSnogger
02-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Should I get hiiiim? :(

Evil Vito
02-15-2012, 01:51 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Yeah, really don't get what WWE are doing here. The gimmick was actually getting over.</font>

Anybody Thrilla
02-15-2012, 01:52 PM
Damn, I was JUST jammin' to that theme song before I saw this thread. I'm surprised at how saddened I am by this news.

Anybody Thrilla
02-15-2012, 01:52 PM
SUPLEX BABY :(

Aaronp43
02-15-2012, 01:54 PM
I guess funk is not on a roll anymore somebody call my mama

Kapoutman
02-15-2012, 01:55 PM
Thank God.

You're no fun, St.Jimmy. What the funk, man?

XL
02-15-2012, 01:57 PM
His match were competent squash matches. Even live on Raw, I never noticed any botches. Goddammit.
Botched his entrance a lot.

I'm presuming that the pyro was supposed to go off as he stomped the mat, he was always late. Worse than Sin Cara (remember him?) :shifty:

Evil Vito
02-15-2012, 01:58 PM
<font color=goldenrod>My only guess is that WWE may feel like his ring work isn't good enough to compete in longer matches or something. Problem is his gimmick doesn't really lend itself to non-squash matches anyway.</font>

MisterLee
02-15-2012, 02:03 PM
I love his gimmick but how long can we go with squash matches? I dunno..feel bad for the guy. lol

jerichoholicninja
02-15-2012, 02:12 PM
If they gave him more than 1 minute to do more than 3 moves they might have seen what he could do.

XL
02-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Maybe they did and didn't like what they saw and "demoted" him?

Double D
02-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Maybe Ernest "The Cat" Miller's momma called Brodus Clay's momma to complain. WWE would have had to pull the plug, nobody wants a 3 time karate champion's momma coming down on them. If I could be Lance Storm for a minute though, I agree that though he was enjoyable to watch, I feel like squash matches were as far as this gimmick could take him.

Emperor Smeat
02-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Not sure what there wasn't to like in the ring considering as others have said, all he did was quick squash matches. He was being booked as a goofy dancing type wrestler and his in-ring style of him having fun worked out well with the crowd.

This situation is almost similar to when Curtis finally debuted only to disappear again after a couple of weeks. Must be some sort of curse from that season of NXT.

#BROKEN Hasney
02-15-2012, 02:37 PM
Botched his entrance a lot.

I'm presuming that the pyro was supposed to go off as he stomped the mat, he was always late. Worse than Sin Cara (remember him?) :shifty:

Which added to the comedy aspect of the character.

Actually pissed off. As soon as they have a big man that can move, they dump him. I miss Husky Harris too.

Then they put Big Show and Mark Henry in a feud for the top title and a man who can barely walk let alone wrestle in Khali into Smackdown's main even at the next PPV.

Droford
02-15-2012, 02:40 PM
my farewell party has been moved up..

makes me happy, couldnt stand him

na na na na..hey hey hey..GOOD BYE

#BROKEN Hasney
02-15-2012, 02:43 PM
St. Jimmy and Droford disliked him. I suddenly feel like a man with impeccable taste for loving him.

XL
02-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Maybe Ernest "The Cat" Miller's momma called Brodus Clay's momma to complain. WWE would have had to pull the plug, nobody wants a 3 time karate champion's momma coming down on them.
No chance. We all know that it's only Judy Bagwell who calls anybody to complain on behalf of her son.

The Jayman
02-15-2012, 02:48 PM
let's not forget Shelton's momma

jskinnyg
02-15-2012, 03:28 PM

MUAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

I fI can be serious for a minute... I actually liked the gimmick a lot... My bad... In ring work was rusty... But no more rusty then say, Cody when he was starting off...

Poit
02-15-2012, 03:44 PM
:(

Cool King
02-15-2012, 03:49 PM

http://28.media.tumblr.com/AszZx7AwRq40jujeKl3JdR2Lo1_500.jpg

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/3650/18956453.png

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/4711/cenafacepalm.png

http://www.sosphotography.sosugary.com/albums/August-23-10/normal_WWE_Raw_2010_08_23_720p_HDTV_x264-WYW_mp4_005266594.jpg

Take your pick.

Kapoutman
02-15-2012, 03:54 PM
I'm with Hasney all the way on this.

Hanso Amore
02-15-2012, 04:01 PM
Although this may sound a bit much, when he walked out that first time dancing, with the chicks, I was so excited. Not just for him, who I enjoyed, but for SOMETHING NEW AND DIFFERENT.

Comedy can sell in the WWE and I miss these types of characters. Santino was gold, but has run his course. I just felt like with Punk, Danielson as champs, Work Horses like Ziggler main eventing, and some new gimmicks, things were going to swing in a new direction.

Then It got derailed by this, Taker vs HHH 3, Khali etc.

Anybody Thrilla
02-15-2012, 04:04 PM
Hey, did you guys hear that Hasney and Kapoutman went "all the way"? :naughty:

Anybody Thrilla
02-15-2012, 04:05 PM
Although this may sound a bit much, when he walked out that first time dancing, with the chicks, I was so excited. Not just for him, who I enjoyed, but for SOMETHING NEW AND DIFFERENT.

Comedy can sell in the WWE and I miss these types of characters. Santino was gold, but has run his course. I just felt like with Punk, Danielson as champs, Work Horses like Ziggler main eventing, and some new gimmicks, things were going to swing in a new direction.

Do you really want to put Taker vs HHH 3 on the same plane as The Great Khali? I fear that may be a bit of an overreaction.

Swiss Ultimate
02-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Thank God.

This is why you're going to get banned.

Innovator
02-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Funkasaurus chants, better kill it.

St. Jimmy
02-15-2012, 04:12 PM
This is why you're going to get banned.

gl; better men have tried.

Kapoutman
02-15-2012, 04:15 PM
Hey, did you guys hear that Hasney and Kapoutman went "all the way"? :naughty:

You want in?

James Steele
02-15-2012, 04:17 PM

I can see how Taker/HHH 3 is taking up some time, but people will pay $60 to see HHH/Taker on PPV. Khali is bad, but he isn't taking up more than 20 minutes a week.

#1-norm-fan
02-15-2012, 04:19 PM
He's gotta come back relatively soon with the gimmick in tact for he's fucked.

Seriously, he was one of the best things going. He brought a fun feeling that WWE hadn't consistently seen in a REALLY long time. He needs to be part of WrestleMania.

#1-norm-fan
02-15-2012, 04:22 PM
I can see how Taker/HHH 3 is taking up some time, but people will pay $60 to see HHH/Taker on PPV. Khali is bad, but he isn't taking up more than 20 minutes a week.

Yeah, I was pretty much against the idea of another HHH-Taker WrestleMania match but I am intrigued with the direction they're going with it. They've made me want to see it.

Khali on the other hand is just giant filler that they're using to milk the last bit of "Look at this guy toppling that huge motherfucker" out of to get people over.

Rammsteinmad
02-15-2012, 04:33 PM
It kinda pisses me off when WWE keep doing this. They did it with Kozlov, Big Zeke and recently Mason Ryan. They push a guy and realise he sucks and then basically kill the push and thats the end of a decent push that could have gone to someone else. I liked Brodus Clay, for a big man he was decent in the ring, and had tonnes of charisma to entertain with, so even though they could have had plenty of time to work on things like in-ring style while he was still in development, they decide to hype him up for forever, have him debut and get himself over after a couple of weeks, and then drop him.

Hanso Amore
02-15-2012, 05:20 PM
Do you really want to put Taker vs HHH 3 on the same plane as The Great Khali? I fear that may be a bit of an overreaction.

Im not putting them on even ground, if it came off that way it was not my intent.

I just was exicted for some "new" possibilities and it seems to be settling back to where its been. I get the Taker HHH angle selling, and am fine with it. Just an example.

I also was trying to figure out why they pulled Clay up with this new gimmick during the very busy wrestlemania season, where many people get temporarily slid to the side for the major angles.

Dukelorange
02-15-2012, 05:33 PM
Poor Naomi...

Destor
02-15-2012, 07:10 PM
If they gave him more than 1 minute to do more than 3 moves they might have seen what he could do.

ugh...i could explain the concept of house shows to you but im not gonna bother

Destor
02-15-2012, 07:14 PM

MUAHAHAHAHAHAAA!!!

I fI can be serious for a minute... I actually liked the gimmick a lot... My bad... In ring work was rusty... But no more rusty then say, Cody when he was starting off...

you're using "rusty" wrong fyi

Damndirty
02-15-2012, 08:36 PM
This is the same crap that happened with Pirate Paul Burchill! Aw fuck it... Nothing WWE does shocks me anymore. I'm just gonna sit back and watch it like grandma used to watch her soaps.

Innovator
02-15-2012, 08:40 PM
Poor Naomi...
Because her name is I moan backwards?

FourFifty
02-15-2012, 10:52 PM
...lemme see if I have this right....

They hype up this monster for weeks, he comes back as Fat Funk, and then they decide he doesn't have enough polish on him to work?

After the weeks and weeks of hype they couldn't send him to FCW to refine his skills a bit more, and then they bring him back... Really? WWE got me to care about a gimmick based on how fucking absurd it was, and now they're taking him out? At least he could be Teddy Long's new assistant to keep him on tv.

Droford
02-15-2012, 11:08 PM
WWE's magazine says that Brodus Clay's first Mattel figure was supposed to be released this month.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ef6aS_PL--Q?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ef6aS_PL--Q?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Skippord
02-15-2012, 11:13 PM
maybe he's just filming the new WWE films production Funkrassic Park

#BROKEN Hasney
02-16-2012, 12:54 AM
ugh...i could explain the concept of house shows to you but im not gonna bother

I don't know why people have house shows. Seems like they'd break a lot of your stuff.

Skippord
02-16-2012, 01:25 AM
I would totally watch a shot for shot remake of Jurassic Park with Brodus Clay playing the part of every dinosaur

Dark One
02-16-2012, 03:15 AM
I would totally watch a shot for shot remake of Jurassic Park with Brodus Clay playing the part of every dinosaur

http://i281.photobucket.com/albums/kk209/HisReptilianMajesty/FunkrassicPark.jpg

Dukelorange
02-16-2012, 06:27 AM
Because her name is I moan backwards?

No, because of a fan of Diva wrestling I like to think she would be one of the girls that would help make the division more watchable... her matches in FCW are pretty good.

whiteyford
02-16-2012, 06:37 AM
I didnt see anything wrong with his ring work,not that you really saw much, but he was getting over with a comedy gimmick so why not run with it? Let him work longer matches and cut promos on house shows to develop rather than stopping his push altogether...i miss suplex machines.

James Diesel
02-16-2012, 09:14 AM
If they had given him a spot in the rumble for like 2-7 minutes instead of that squash Mcintyre match it would've given him a better chance to show some moves, selling, and eventually, his character's mortality, cause he wouldn't have won.

I dunno. I certainly hope to see more Funkasaurus on TV soon. Everyone from the hardcore fans, to the casual fans, even to non-fans, seem to love the hell out of this gimmick.

.........present St. Jimmy's excluded

Innovator
02-16-2012, 09:16 AM
BACK IN THE DAY, he would have had a monster spot in the Rumble, get eliminated shadily and gotten a Mania feud out of it.

XCaliber
02-16-2012, 11:47 AM
I just don't get it from what I've seen on tv he seems compitent enough mind you his matches are short which makes it hard to gauge so the whole house show theory is probably right.

Mr. Nerfect
02-17-2012, 02:36 AM
The guy's not released yet. Give him some time in FCW to work his ass off and get some polish. He can get himself over when he gets back.

#BROKEN Hasney
02-17-2012, 02:43 AM
I'm beginning to think FCW's the problem. Bar only half their the Nexus, barely anyone has done anything decent after getting called up. Even then, Wade was in OVW for a while and Slater in DSW.

Don't know if they need new trainers down there to show them the "WWE Style" or what.

Destor
02-17-2012, 08:27 AM
I'm beginning to think FCW's the problem. Bar only half their the Nexus, barely anyone has done anything decent after getting called up. Even then, Wade was in OVW for a while and Slater in DSW.

Don't know if they need new trainers down there to show them the "WWE Style" or what.
fcw is a major problem

Mr. Nerfect
02-17-2012, 08:54 AM
Well, give him his release and send him to Japan or something. Nothing will turn him into a beast quicker, right?

Damndirty
02-17-2012, 10:19 AM
Well, give him his release and send him to Japan or something. Nothing will turn him into a beast quicker, right?

Godzilla vs. Funkasaurus

Big Vic
02-17-2012, 02:56 PM
let's not forget Shelton's momma
I loved her character.

#BROKEN Hasney
02-18-2012, 05:31 AM
Did some research. The only guys regularly on main TV that started their WWE development in FCW are:

Sheamus
Daniel Bryan
The Usos
Ted DiBiase
Justin Gabriel
Epico
Hunico

It's no wonder they're picking up experienced indie guys now, they clearly can't shake the green off the guys they hire. Barring Sheamus, every single one of them is either 2nd/3rd generation or made an alright name for themselves elsewhere first.

I don't watch indy wrestling anymore as I don't have the time to keep up and the ROH TV show is shit, but I hope they keep using those promotions as their wrestling school and grabbing the cream of the crop, because taking green guys is fucking suicide for them.

Juan
02-18-2012, 05:43 AM
What about Wade Barrett?

#BROKEN Hasney
02-18-2012, 05:54 AM
Started in OVW.

Destor
02-21-2012, 12:54 AM
didnt shemus work in DCW? 99% sure he did

#BROKEN Hasney
02-21-2012, 02:15 AM
I'm going by wiki pages, so I will bow to any other sources, but it says he just debuted in October 2006 in FCW.

Vastardikai
02-21-2012, 02:56 AM
Did some research. The only guys regularly on main TV that started their WWE development in FCW are:

Sheamus
Daniel Bryan
The Usos
Ted DiBiase
Justin Gabriel
Epico
Hunico

It's no wonder they're picking up experienced indie guys now, they clearly can't shake the green off the guys they hire. Barring Sheamus, every single one of them is either 2nd/3rd generation or made an alright name for themselves elsewhere first.

I don't watch indy wrestling anymore as I don't have the time to keep up and the ROH TV show is shit, but I hope they keep using those promotions as their wrestling school and grabbing the cream of the crop, because taking green guys is fucking suicide for them.

And many of the 2nd/3rd generation guys started training with Harley.

Maybe these are some crazy ideas:

1. Maybe selecting the developmental territory based on it's proximity to places you like to go clubbing is a BAD idea?

2. Maybe they should have a competent school with a solid track record of turning out good workers.

James Steele
02-21-2012, 03:04 AM
What caused the split with OVW anyway? OVW produced damn near every new big name of the 2000s.

#BROKEN Hasney
02-21-2012, 03:48 AM
And when Heyman was booking, a damn fine wrestling show that was comparable to the main brands in terms of booking.

The Johnny Jeter V Matt Cappotelli feud for the OVW title was amazing.

Hanso Amore
02-21-2012, 09:35 AM
What caused the split with OVW anyway? OVW produced damn near every new big name of the 2000s.

WWE decided that instead of paying OVW and DSW, and butting heads with their bookers, that Steve Keirn could just do it in florida. They would save money and get to do it THEIR way.

Jim Cornette has a really good insider take on it. Basically points out how John Laurenitis is a fucking munger.

erickman
02-21-2012, 04:27 PM
WWE decided that instead of paying OVW and DSW, and butting heads with their bookers, that Steve Keirn could just do it in florida. They would save money and get to do it THEIR way.

Jim Cornette has a really good insider take on it. Basically points out how John Laurenitis is a fucking munger.

i seem to rember vince was pissed at cornett at the time and cornett was still part of ovw, funny thing is tna usses ovw now

James Steele
02-21-2012, 05:34 PM
i seem to rember vince was pissed at cornett at the time and cornett was still part of ovw, funny thing is tna usses ovw now

...and Cornette is with ROH and Heyman is "done with wrestling".

Vastardikai
02-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Other big thing I want to point out:

Funkasaurus is being scaled back because he "can't work," yet Otunga is still allowed to wrestle...