PDA

View Full Version : Does the "Supercard" concept still work in today's landscape?

Xero
02-23-2012, 03:38 PM
This is something I've been thinking about for a while. As it is, WWE has their supercard in WrestleMania, and to a lesser extent SummerSlam. Back when TV was all squashes and interviews and PPVs were *THE* shows to watch, this was a fine concept. However, today, especially with how they constantly have first-run matches on television, I feel that the concept of the supercard cripples the rest of the years' PPVs.

At WrestleMania, we have John Cena vs. The Rock, Triple H vs. The Undertaker and Chris Jericho vs. CM Punk. Those three matches are easily PPV main events in their own right, but they're being thrown onto one single show. Instead of bumping the buyrates for three different PPVs, they focus on this single PPV.

Don't get me wrong, I understand how the supercard is a good concept in the short term, but long-term, they're throwing three huge matches onto one show. Granted, this show will make up to four times the buys of any other PPV, but it still begs the question of whether focusing on one or two big shows a year is smart business for the OTHER PPVs.

Discuss.

Anybody Thrilla
02-23-2012, 03:42 PM
I see what you're saying, but there just HAS to be a Wrestlemania, if for no other reason than to give "closure" to the year (yeah, I know it's in April, but you know what I mean). It's like the end of the season, and things start fresh again after that. You build up all of the best shit for the "Super Bowl" or whatever, and then you hit the reset button.

That post was crappily worded, but I think the points are there.

Anybody Thrilla
02-23-2012, 03:43 PM
Wrestlemania is looming all year, and that's everyone's endgame in kayfabe (and realistically too, I guess) to be a part of it some how. I think it works.

CSL
02-23-2012, 03:47 PM
this is kind of like saying does the Super Bowl still work despite it taking away from other playoff and big regular season games

Anybody Thrilla
02-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Yeah, that.

Next Big Thing
02-23-2012, 04:13 PM
I agree with what you're saying, but Wrestlemania is supposed to be big like this.

I think the way the WWE does pay per views cheapens the remaining pay per views more than what the WWE shows on Raw or Smackdown do each week. Pay per views used to bring closure to a program or at least set up a final battle (e.g., cage, casket match, stipulation, etc...) at another PPV. Or at least it felt that way to me.

Now, it seems like some feuds just go on and on for the sake of filling pay per view slots which means that those stories also have to be played out on t.v. which decreases the big time feel of the match. Why should the audience care about Summer Slam or Survivor Series when it's pretty much a guarantee that those same headliners and feuds will continue on the next pay per view? On top of that, you have gimmicks that used to mean finality (Hell in a Cell; TLC; Elimination Chamber; MITB; etc...) being used as the basis for pay per views. It cheapens the whole "high stakes" aspect.

Supreme Olajuwon
02-23-2012, 04:13 PM
I dunno, even with one of those 3 matches headlining a show, people might hesitate to spend the money to order the PPV. It's like yeah, I wanna see Jericho and Punk, but it's a lot of money for just one match.

Here, there's no hesitation. People are gonna pay for this card.

Next Big Thing
02-23-2012, 04:15 PM
this is kind of like saying does the Super Bowl still work despite it taking away from other playoff and big regular season games

You're not American, don't talk about our game like you know us or know what we're about or have the NFL Network as part of your cable package. GOSH!

Frank Drebin
02-23-2012, 04:31 PM

Correct, but the better example would be the one Anybody Thrilla gave. At the end of the day, this is all a TV show. SummerSlam is the mid season point and 'Mainia is the season finale. You have to wrap up multiple plotlines at these events or no one watches en mass to give the big ratings boost (or in this case, PPV buys) you want.

For the same reasons that you cannot have a TV show that only has one character or plot to follow per episode, you cannot expect people to buy a PPV based on one match.

JKWJRMON
02-23-2012, 06:56 PM
It has to be big, but I think they had a fresh idea with the whole year build up of the Cena-Rock main event, and blew it. yeah we got 5 weeks, and yeah Rock will be on tv more now, but I think they could have done a better job.

Now that Taker and HHH are in a Hell In A Cell, really, who gives a fuck about Rock vs. Cena? Shit I'm more excited to see Punk vs. Jericho, than Cena vs. Rock.

Jordan
02-23-2012, 08:04 PM
The only true super shows are The Rumble and Mania it seems, according to PPV buys.

Frank Drebin
02-23-2012, 10:07 PM
The only true super shows are The Rumble and Mania it seems, according to PPV buys.

Has that historically been the case? They used to treat Summerslam like 'Mainia with celebs getting involved. Big time names like.....Frank Drebin:

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mXLrwLqU8CE?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mXLrwLqU8CE?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Destor
02-23-2012, 10:15 PM
I agree, Every show is a super card. thats the problem. mania is...well a super super card. origionally a super card was a card with nothing but names vs names top to bottem, likely with a big program at the top. now...jeez...putting together what gives the impression of a super card is practically impossible because the audience is spoiled. but thanks to the attitude era there really isnt any way to go back. this bischoff style of hot shot booking has practically ruined any hope of building up good angles over long periods of time. hell watch possible match that would get you hyped have you not seen on free tv?

does the super card concept work? some mondays it does i suppose... it takes a super super card to get people excited, and thats a challenge to make work.

Kane Knight
02-23-2012, 10:58 PM
I dunno, even with one of those 3 matches headlining a show, people might hesitate to spend the money to order the PPV. It's like yeah, I wanna see Jericho and Punk, but it's a lot of money for just one match.

Here, there's no hesitation. People are gonna pay for this card.

This is kind of the thing for me.

Rumble and Mania for the longest time have been the only PPVs I ordered. Rumble because the Rumble itself is almost certainly going to be special and Mania because...Well, it's going to be a huge card with a lot of stuff on it. Getting effectively 3-4 main events each year is enough to go from "Maybe I'll buy" to "fuck yeah."

Sometimes, the match ordering can be a bit of a letdown, though. If the biggest "main event" isn't last, it can be a detriment.

But as a whole, the "supercard" is the one thing that keeps me interested. Long as it remains a cut above.

JEPW
02-24-2012, 04:25 AM
It's the only PPV I order, precisely because the card is dreamy. If they're gonna start worrying about the other PPVs then the first thing they need to do is cull about 5 of them.

Mr. Nerfect
02-24-2012, 08:26 AM
I've been thinking about this for a while, too. Ideally, all the WWE's PPVs would be performing well. All of them would be "must-buys," and once you view one you just need to get the next one. I guess that's the idea the WWE tries to use when they have feuds extend past a few PPVs, but I think where they fall short (and it's not just their fault -- there are practical economic reasons that come into it) is that they just give us too much of the same, and depend too much on their main event.

When I was younger, I used to get excited about the entire cards; and not because they were "Supercards." But every PPV match would have a story, and I'd legitimately care about the outcome. Air Boom and Primo & Epico had a match at the TLC PPV, but anyone that wasn't following Superstars would have had no clue they were feuding.

I think my booking philosophy for the other PPVs in the year would be to ask whether or not, top-to-bottom, people wanted to pay for the seven or eight matches I am asking them to pay so much money for? What's the story behind them, and are the fans at least getting some sort of closure -- if not to the full story than at least a chapter to it. I think that the Attitude era actually did a really good job at that.

For example, in my perfect world, the PPV after WrestleMania would still be Backlash. It always used to perform pretty well, and there are no silly gimmicks that they need to force. It'd be a combination of WrestleMania fall-out and fresh beginnings. My ideal Backlash card post-Mania would be:

WWE Championship
CM Punk (c) vs. John Cena
Special Guest Referee: The Rock

-It seems like a long-reach now, but I would still love it if CM Punk took a few digs at Cena and Rock hogging the main event at WrestleMania when he is trying to prove he is The Best in the World and therefore relevant (unlike Chris Brown). He beats Jericho at Mania and then interjects himself into the Mania main event and gives Dwayne the GTS to cost him the match to an unknowing Cena. Both Cena and The Rock obviously have problems with this, and Cena is named the #1 Contender to the WWE Title (you know, after winning the biggest match of all-time and all), and The Rock is made Special Guest Referee by whoever is running the shows (my guess is that they'll let Johnny Ace do it). Punk vs. Cena is blockbuster huge, and The Rock having a grudge against both men causes interest. Cena would win the WWE Title here, and Punk would make the challenge to The Rock in what Punk calls Dwayne's "real hometown" of LA for SummerSlam.

World Heavyweight Championship/Intercontinental Championship
Daniel Bryan (c) vs. Big Show

-At WrestleMania, I'm predicting that Big Show wins the Intercontinental Title from Cody Rhodes, making him the second modern Grand Slam Champion in WWE history (the other being Edge). While Show gets a happy measure of revenge against Cody for giving him shit, he still wants to be the absolute best on SmackDown!. He's given a match against Daniel Bryan in a scenario not unlike Hogan vs. Warrior from WrestleMania VI. Cody Rhodes would interfere to cost Show his IC Title and opportunity at the World Heavyweight Title here, setting up a blow-off match between the two at Over the Limit.

World Heavyweight Championship #1 Contender's Match
Sheamus vs. Randy Orton

-I'd personally like it if Orton found his way into the World Title picture for WrestleMania (seeing as Bryan gave Orton his concussion in storylines), and Bryan used the Triple Threat to worm his way out of Miami with the World Heavyweight Title (perhaps a belt shot to Orton). Given the funny finish, whoever is GM lets Orton and Sheamus find out who should truly be Bryan's one-on-one opponent at Backlash. Putting two of your top faces against each other is bound to get people excited, and it may not be Rock vs. Austin, but it's certainly the same sort of dynamic. Truthfully, I think Sheamus could use the win a bit more than Orton, and he's been built up as the title contender all year, while Orton's more or less been kicking ass on the side. Give Sheamus the big establishing win and have him take the title from Daniel Bryan at Over the Limit (giving that PPV a big moment).

Chris Jericho vs. Kharma

-People might "WTF?" at this, but this would get the WWE a lot of media attention. Kharma is an absolute beast, and they've put her against some male competitors and made her look quite good. Imagine if Chris Jericho came out and said that he wanted a rematch with Punk, and it's not fair that Cena is getting the title shot at Backlash, and then Kharma came out and called Jericho a whiny little girl, and then says she likes to beat up little girls. Kharma would likely be the Divas Champion at this point (as I think she'll beat Beth Phoenix at WrestleMania), and she could talk about how she wants to prove that women can be every bit as tough as men. Jericho can pretend to take the moral high ground, before turning it into slightly sexist heat (as a master of promo psychology, he could very easily do this). Admit it: You would be bizarrely curious to see this match. If anyone in wrestling is good enough and smart enough to pull off a compelling male vs. female match, it'd be Chris Jericho. The end could give Jericho the win, but also protect Kharma, say if Beth Phoenix interfered and got some revenge on Kharma by costing her the match?

Loser Leaves RAW
Alberto Del Rio vs. Rey Mysterio

-Essentially a feud that has been going since Del Rio's awesome debut in the WWE. When Mysterio returns, it would be reasonable to assume that he would want some revenge on Del Rio for putting him out (again). It could be reasoned by the General Manager that these two need to settle their score once and for all, so he could put them in match in which the loser is exiled from the other's presence. I'm not sure how healthy he is, but Rey could work in the Johnny Ace vs. Teddy Long storyline for Mania, opposite Del Rio, and then hopefully be healthy for a good showing here. Mysterio wins, and Del Rio is cast off to the blue brand, where I think he shines much better, and where he actually helped with ratings.

Dolph Ziggler vs. Kofi Kingston

-If they do Money in the Bank at WrestleMania (and I think they should), then I see Ziggler being the man to bring the briefcase down. Kofi Kingston could have a fantastic showing in the match, and possibly be the second-to-last guy up there on the ladder before Ziggler's win. Kofi, with his interesting "I'm no underdog" angle, could go after Ziggler, and want to prove he's better than him. Cue this match, and these two are so familiar with each other that you know it'll be good. Kofi could get the clean win, since Ziggler has the title shot locked up, and Kofi would get a boost by defeating a future World Champion.

Cody Rhodes vs. Goldust

-After losing his first singles title to Big Show, Cody undergoes another metamorphosis. Gone are the white trunks to match his title, and Cody wants revenge on Big Show. Goldust steps in and tells his brother that he needs to let it go; he lost, and he needs to re-evaluate his career. Cody tells Dustin that he won't take advice from a joke, and things come to the Cody vs. Goldust match everyone is talking about. Cody wins here to bounce back from Mania.

WWE United States Championship
Jack Swagger (c) vs. Ted DiBiase

-I'd like it if the pre-Mania Battle Royal was used to give the winner a shot at either the US or IC Title at Backlash. It's a chance for the winner to break out and get the new wrestling year for them off to a good start. I think of too many guys that would be better suited to that than Ted DiBiase. This could really be any mid-card babyface they really feel like pushing, though. Justin Gabriel, Yoshi Tatsu and Tyson Kidd also come to mind. But anyway, this is used as an opener to get the crowd warmed up and give them a feel good moment on a reasonable scale.

Honestly, if I saw a card like that, I would strongly consider buying the show. Each match furthers a storyline or tells a definitive chapter in a story. Whether it's the first singles title win of a guy like Ted DiBiase, the path to justice for a top SmackDown! Superstar or The Best in the World being stripped of the item that allows him to prove it. And from there you have stories set up for the next PPV as well -- Big Show vs. Cody Rhodes in some sort of specialty match, Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus for the World Title (and possibly Intercontinental Title) and a return match for the Divas Championship between Kharma and Beth Phoenix. I feel as if PPVs these days maybe have one or two interesting matches, with just random shit thrown together.

And I haven't even used The Miz, R-Truth or Santino Marella on this card. Not because I hate them or that they aren't talented; but I honestly feel as if a more pressing story featuring lower players can add more to the overall feel of a show (as far as pacing goes) than a thrown together match featuring bigger names (something that you would get on RAW or SmackDown!, for example). Let Miz and R-Truth have a match on the PPV pre-show exclusively for the DVD, or something.

Mr. Nerfect
02-24-2012, 08:30 AM
I talked about things a bit too creatively. But basically to sum it up, I feel that a PPV could get more buys by not trying to be like WrestleMania. That's what WrestleMania's for. Let your smaller PPVs tell a more progressive story over the night, with some mid-card bouts (properly built, of course) used to advance the development of certain characters. It doesn't mean you can't have one or two huge matches in there to capture attention.

Frank Drebin
02-24-2012, 05:04 PM
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1634556510544&id=36e4d993769ace49d6cc3ecd2454fbff (http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoX4eCUhPtQgANzqJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMTQ4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimage s.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dsupercard%26n%3D30%26ei%3Dutf-8%26y%3DSearch%26fr%3Dyfp-t-701%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D120&w=420&h=350&imgurl=www.prlog.org%2F10145385-supercard-minisd-rumble-adapter-free-superkey.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.prlog.org%2F10145385-supercard-minisd-rumble-adapter-free-superkey.html&size=34.1+KB&name=SuperCard+miniSD+Rumble+Adapter+%2B+Free+SuperKey+%7C+PRLog&p=supercard&oid=ecbad60c4319fc0e6390a4e5cc34c2d4&fr2=&fr=yfp-t-701&tt=SuperCard%2BminiSD%2BRumble%2BAdapter%2B%252B%2BFree%2BSuperKey%2B%257C%2BPRLog&b=91&ni=180&no=120&tab=organic&ts=&sigr=12gar3b41&sigb=13fdqitsj&sigi=1281m63pf&.crumb=aaLhf5sNJek)

James Steele
02-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Noid, do you remember Chyna/Jericho's long feud over the IC Title?

DLVH84
02-24-2012, 06:14 PM
What about the WrestleFests they used to hold at baseball stadiums?

Mr. Nerfect
02-25-2012, 11:47 PM
Noid, do you remember Chyna/Jericho's long feud over the IC Title?

I didn't watch then, but I have seen bits and pieces of it on video and DVD.

Kharma is bigger and more talented than Chyna, in my opinion. And Jericho is, right now, arguably the best in the world.

Damndirty
02-26-2012, 11:27 PM
If they aren't doing any supercards for these PPVs between Wrestlemanias, then they really don't need that many PPVs. Would it really financially hurt to get rid of a few of them? You could start turning three hour Raw or Smackdown supershows into those events that were once PPVs, like they did with the King of the Ring. This way, they can promote the supershows many weeks prior to them, and save some money in the process.

Blakeamus
02-27-2012, 06:42 AM
I was thinking about this the other day. Do they REALLY need a PPV in between the Rumble and WM?

Blue Demon
02-27-2012, 07:44 AM
For the sake of build up and story lines they should, on an extreme level, go back to only "the big four." If not that, maybe bi-monthly PPVs instead. Maybe this will help make WrestleMania feel more special.

Damndirty
02-27-2012, 10:14 AM
Well, I also figured that people would be more drawn to the supershows if there can actually be legitimate title matches, not like the punk vs. ziggler botches in the weeks prior to the Rumble. 98% of the time, the potential supercards on the supershows go to shit, because a)screwy finishes that couldn't exactly be confirmed as a finish. b)interference almost ALWAYS happens for a DQ. c)the match goes by cleanly, but the title wasn't on the line so who cares? Elimination chamber and Hell in the Cell matches should happen on Raw or Smackdown sometimes, and if they have a small PPV, make one of those occasions to be set up by a stable, like a DX or NWO themed PPV.

Blakeamus
02-27-2012, 11:14 AM
For the sake of build up and story lines they should, on an extreme level, go back to only "the big four." If not that, maybe bi-monthly PPVs instead. Maybe this will help make WrestleMania feel more special.

Yeah, I would be all for them going bi-monthly. Can't see them go back to their old roots with just 4 PPV's a year, and I actually wouldn't want it that way.

DLVH84
02-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Yeah, have 4-5 PPVs bi-monthly, with SNMEs in between to set them up.