PDA

View Full Version : The greatest console ever created?

HellFireRider666
04-03-2012, 04:26 PM
in your opinion

Kane Knight
04-03-2012, 06:03 PM
No love for the Virtual Boy?

El Fangel
04-03-2012, 06:11 PM
No love for the Virtual Boy?

Doth not speaketh that name!

El Fangel
04-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Easily PS2 for me, with the SNES a close second. The vast library of games in incredible for bother systems but the PS2 edges because several of the games I played when I truly jumped into being a gamer was on the PS2.

The SNES holds a special place in my heart however and I must give it the respect it deserves.

XCaliber
04-03-2012, 06:42 PM
PS3 cuz "it does everything".

Party Hardy
04-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Ps 1 my fav u know?

Requiem
04-03-2012, 06:58 PM
I'll say N64 only because of some of the 'greatest games of all time' that came from N64. I'm actually torn between it and SNES, due to how awesome some SNES games were, and how much time I spent playing and replaying some of the games. N64 might win out just barely though.

Kalyx triaD
04-03-2012, 10:28 PM
Though N64 had some of the greatest games ever, PS2 was in a point in my life my everything. It was the dawn of my current gaming habits, whereas a lot of my Big N fanboy habits are faded. It cemented my love for multiplayer, fighting games, generous third party support, and technical comfort. Mind you, the original XBox offered the same thing plus XBLive and more power - but it all started with what PS2 offered me.

So I give it to PS2.

G
04-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Can't believe the fucking PS3 is tied for the lead. Those people should be put down.

G
04-03-2012, 11:49 PM
Why isn't this public

G
04-03-2012, 11:51 PM
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5pJR3T7rVIo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SlickyTrickyDamon
04-04-2012, 02:00 AM
Though N64 had some of the greatest games ever, PS2 was in a point in my life my everything. It was the dawn of my current gaming habits, whereas a lot of my Big N fanboy habits are faded. It cemented my love for multiplayer, fighting games, generous third party support, and technical comfort. Mind you, the original XBox offered the same thing plus XBLive and more power - but it all started with what PS2 offered me.

So I give it to PS2.

What he said, PS2 wins. :y:

I was going to give the OP of this thread some plus rep for a good poll, but he already has been banned.

dronepool
04-04-2012, 02:16 AM
PS2 was the Super Nintendo of the late 90's and half of 2000's. PS2 wins simply for the arsenal of great games.

Immortal Moose
04-04-2012, 01:45 PM
I'd have to go with then N64 because all the great games I played on it a the hours and years I spent playing it.

Pintint
04-04-2012, 09:48 PM
I have a soft spot for the SNES due to all the amazing 16 bit RPGs, so I voted SNES.

Poit
04-04-2012, 10:51 PM
SNES - the golden age of RPGs

Big Vic
04-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Can't believe the fucking PS3 is tied for the lead. Those people should be put down.

PS3s can play all of the PS2 games, maybe thats why.

Requiem
04-05-2012, 01:06 PM
No they can't. Only the first models were backwards compatible. I have one that is, and I still wouldn't call the PS3 the greatest console ever made.

Really don't think any of the current generation systems deserve the title of 'greatest console ever made'.

Big Vic
04-05-2012, 01:07 PM
What about the Wii?

LoDownM
04-05-2012, 01:22 PM
PS1/PSX, whatever you want to call it. I did have an NES before that and played the hell out of it. But when the SNES came out, I couldn't talk my parents into getting me one and I stopped playing games. PS1 is really what got me back into gaming, was my purchase of something over 100 bucks bought with my own money.

Emperor Smeat
04-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Personally the N64. Had a lot of games and great memories from that system.

Probably between the NES, PS2, and SNES for actual greatest of all time. I'd go with the SNES since it did become the basis for the Playstation brand and was part of the "Golden Era" with the Genesis.

MVP
04-05-2012, 03:22 PM
Going with SNES for the same reason Poit and Pintint.

Extreme Angle
04-05-2012, 06:32 PM
PS1 hands down

DAMN iNATOR
04-06-2012, 11:24 AM

Actually very few of them can. Most cannot.

What about the Wii?

The controller system was a nice novelty at first, but the Wii is nowhere near the top of the all-time console list. I wouldn't hold my breath about the Wii U's chances to make it into that convo either.

Anyway, gotta be SNES end of story.

Requiem
04-06-2012, 11:28 AM
What about the Wii?

lol definitely no.

SNES and N64 were 50x the system Wii is. Wii's library of games doesn't even scratch the caliber of quality that N64 and SNES had.

Kris P Lettus
04-06-2012, 11:31 AM
The fact that SNES is dominating the NES makes me feel old..

Spaff
04-10-2012, 10:03 PM
No Xbox vote?

Requiem
04-10-2012, 10:08 PM
original xbox wasn't "that" great, especially compared to the likes of either playstation 1 or 2 consoles, or n64 and snes.

Spaff
04-10-2012, 10:19 PM
Usually it is the case that someone will pick it for nostalgic reasons or for a particular game or maybe a time in there life they enjoyed and look back on with fond memories, i personally never had one just found it a bit strange

Kane Knight
04-12-2012, 11:20 AM

No.

Only the hardware-based BC models could do that, and they were pretty limited in that. Most of the PS3s that had BC couldn't play all games, and even those they could had some serious issues. Was it as bad as the 360? No, but it had a lot of problems.

The fact that SNES is dominating the NES makes me feel old..

I'm not sure why. The NES was a good console, but the SNES stepped it up quite a bit. Not to mention the good games to crapware ratio was a bit better. Not perfect, but the sheer amount of shite for the NES was phenomenal.

Kris P Lettus
04-12-2012, 11:30 AM
I'm not sure why. The NES was a good console, but the SNES stepped it up quite a bit. Not to mention the good games to crapware ratio was a bit better. Not perfect, but the sheer amount of shite for the NES was phenomenal.

It was the beginning of 16 bit gaming, of course some of the game were shit..

Requiem
04-12-2012, 11:32 AM

*8-bit

SNES was 16-bit.

#BROKEN Hasney
04-12-2012, 11:32 AM
Outside of 3 Nintendo franchises, I don't think the NES holds up at all these days. Probably how we'll look back at the Wii.

A lot of SNES/MD games are still awesome today.

Still will never understand the PS1 love. Had a couple of good games, but it was mostly crap load times with big blocks of GFX. The N64 wasn't much better mind you, again outside a couple of Nintendo franchises. I thought it was the worst generation and took the Dreamcast and the rest of the consoles that followed that generation to pick it back up.

Requiem
04-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Outside of 3 Nintendo franchises, I don't think the NES holds up at all these days. Probably how we'll look back at the Wii.

Still will never understand the PS1 love. Had a couple of good games, but it was mostly crap load times with big blocks of GFX. The N64 wasn't much better mind you, again outside a couple of Nintendo franchises. I thought it was the worst generation and took the Dreamcast and the rest of the consoles that followed that generation to pick it back up.

Gotta disagree about the N64 games. PS1 had over a thousand, and barely any worth mentioning. Out of a total of 387 N64 games, there were SO many worth mentioning. I still play many of them to this day. I don't think there is a single system that can claim as many memorable games as the N64. Not saying other game systems didn't have memorable games. But the sheer amount of quality games that came from N64, and how (most) people speak so fondly of them today, just says a lot to me. The N64 had 'character'. Was all about the fun. As the first to pull off 4-person multiplayer without the need to purchase extra accessories just to be able to do it, like multi-taps, I'd say it was a pioneer for what we came to see in multiplayer gaming on consoles today.

Even though PS1 COULD do multiplayer like that, barely any games were worth it. I still remember some games you had to system link 2 systems together just to play multiplayer. It was a hassle, and most of the multiplayer games just weren't worth it. Then N64 comes along, has 4 player right out of the box, and a huge library of games that took advantage of it right away and were actually MADE for it instead of just tacked on.

Was definitely one of the worst overall generations, due to the large amount of crap consoles that came other than the few 'top ones'. But it was also the most 'important' generations of consoles, and although PS1 ran away from the competition with over 100million units sold, the N64 set the gold standard for multiplayer gaming. It was important because it definitely seems to be a transitional generation of systems. They were just beginning to experiment with 3D, and the systems there really set the stage for what we could expect next gen. Nobody had any preconceived ideas of what a game could be. It was new tech, and the possibilities were endless. There was a lot of creativity from this generation.

Kris P Lettus
04-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Just to let you know, I have a Yobo NES console and like 140 games which I still play quiet a bit..

#BROKEN Hasney
04-12-2012, 12:14 PM
The thing with the N64 is that the good games were so fucking good, it blurs the memory of all the crap. Mario 64, Zelda, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Smash Bros., No Mercy, Mario Kart and the Banjo games were phenomenal.

Requiem
04-12-2012, 12:15 PM
Also really don't think the Dreamcast had anything to do with picking anything back up. What games did it have that anyone gives a crap about today? The few games it did have worth mentioning, weren't even exclusives. If it had been released 2-3 years earlier, it MIGHT have dominated, assuming their game library had gotten bigger. PS2 took over the market with its vastly superior library and hardware for a reason though.

Requiem
04-12-2012, 12:25 PM
The thing with the N64 is that the good games were so fucking good, it blurs the memory of all the crap. Mario 64, Zelda, Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, Smash Bros., No Mercy, Mario Kart and the Banjo games were phenomenal.

There were certainly more good games than that. But I get what you're saying. There were some absolute garbage games on the system.

But also compared to how many games the system actually had, such a larger % of them were good compared to like the PS1 for instance. Used to rent like 2 N64 games a month back in its hayday. Would often rent the most random games multiple times because they were so fun. Have probably legit BEAT more N64 games than any other console so far. Just the sheer amount of multiplayer games that were tops, were great.

Just saying that with the sheer amount of PHENOMENAL games it had, I don't think that generation was lacking at all. It really set the stage for what we could expect after that. Just various aspects were really fresh and I didn't feel as if they were on a downward slope at all. Still haven't had THAT MUCH fun on a console to date. And that's after having an Atari Coleco, NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, PS3, and 360 over the years. Although I will say that my experiences with PC-gaming have certainly competed, but I'm not sure if PC can even be compared to consoles as they are such different beasts.

Kapoutman
04-12-2012, 12:30 PM
N64 for me, mainly because of the multiplayer aspect, and because of the fact that I have never spent as much time playing video games before or since. That's despite the fact that I've been playing since the NES days.

SNES is a close second place.

PrettyCool
04-12-2012, 12:34 PM
What is ur guys thought on the Sega Saturn?

I thought it had better graphics than PSX even though everyone says PSX has better graphics.
If they made more games for it, imo, it wouldve been better than psx.

The Jayman
04-12-2012, 01:00 PM

I would like to add WCW/NWO Revenge and WM 2000 to that list :y:

#BROKEN Hasney
04-12-2012, 01:56 PM
I think they're implied whenever anyone mentions No Mercy.

Emperor Smeat
04-12-2012, 02:42 PM

NES has a lot more memorable ones especially once you add in Capcom and Konami's games.

Problem with the PS1 and N64 was it being in the early 3D era so obviously programmers had almost no experience with making 3D games. By the time the Dreamcast and PS2 arrive, they had years of experience and that generation improved a lot of things wrong with the previous one (ex. more RAM to handle 3D graphics).

The Jayman
04-12-2012, 02:46 PM
I think they're implied whenever anyone mentions No Mercy.

:y:

El Fangel
04-12-2012, 03:59 PM
NES deserves the love because without it, there is a very real possibility we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Kapoutman
04-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Even if it started something, it doesn't mean it's the best one.

Kane Knight
04-13-2012, 11:40 AM

The NES was the beginning of 16 bit gaming?

Kane Knight
04-13-2012, 12:39 PM

I think that describes their more recent consoles.

What is ur guys thought on the Sega Saturn?

I thought it had better graphics than PSX even though everyone says PSX has better graphics.
If they made more games for it, imo, it wouldve been better than psx.

o hai guise wot do u think of 48X CD drives i think the 32X r faster despite wot ppl sai

NES deserves the love because without it, there is a very real possibility we wouldn't be having this conversation.

ahahahaha.

o wate. ur srs

Big Vic
04-13-2012, 01:06 PM
I HATE when top 100 lists put pong up in the top ten "Because OMG its the first one"

==========================================

Actually very few of them can. Most cannot.
Mine can :cool:

The controller system was a nice novelty at first, but the Wii is nowhere near the top of the all-time console list. I wouldn't hold my breath about the Wii U's chances to make it into that convo either.

Anyway, gotta be SNES end of story.*WHOOSH*

Mooияakeя™
04-13-2012, 01:07 PM
For me, the Mega Drive (including Mega CD)

El Fangel
04-13-2012, 02:20 PM
Alright, chances are video games would have eventually happened. Though I have doubts anyone voting in here hasn't owned one at some point.

The Mask
04-13-2012, 02:53 PM
SNES and megadrive were probably around my peak game age, i was a SNES lad though up until about 96 or so. N64 was cool but the only game i would return to now would be no mercy.

don't really care for anything post that too much. my 360 is my favourite console i've had in about 10 years but it seems games now are all FPS or sports franchises or similar. nothing as exciting as olde fashioned platform games or even stuff like streets of rage and road rash.

Kane Knight
04-13-2012, 04:28 PM
Alright, chances are video games would have eventually happened. Though I have doubts anyone voting in here hasn't owned one at some point.

Eventually? ahahahaha

o rite ur srs

Crazy Nick
04-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Mine would probably have to be the PS2, even though I didn't get one until years after it came out. It just had such a wide variety of games that I really enjoyed and it had a really long life span. Not to mention you could play DVDs as well as PS1 games too.

El Fangel
04-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Eventually? ahahahaha

o rite ur srs

Do you need an invitation to speak? I get that you are amused by what I'm saying but if you wish give your view then go ahead. This thread is basically an open invitation to debate given its context.

#BROKEN Hasney
04-13-2012, 06:26 PM
Considering the NES was trounced by the Master System in Europe and even more trounced by 8-bit computers like the C64 and Spectrum, I'm pretty sure that without the NES, one of them would have taken over in the US too.

Rammsteinmad
04-13-2012, 06:39 PM
Mine would probably have to be the PS2, even though I didn't get one until years after it came out. It just had such a wide variety of games that I really enjoyed and it had a really long life span. Not to mention you could play DVDs as well as PS1 games too.

Probably this.

Emperor Smeat
04-13-2012, 06:48 PM
Considering the NES was trounced by the Master System in Europe and even more trounced by 8-bit computers like the C64 and Spectrum, I'm pretty sure that without the NES, one of them would have taken over in the US too.

Depends on if you believe the legend of Sega being the first ever to buy an NES console just so that they could open it up and see what made it great and then used what they saw to create the Master System.

Nintendo did release the NES about a year ahead of the Master System in the three main regions but most likely PC gaming would have a stronger dominance if the NES had failed.

Japan never felt the effects of the crash so Nintendo was already strong there while Europe was more pro-PC gaming than the US. Maybe Mac gaming would have taken over considering Commodore took a beating from the crash.

El Fangel
04-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Learn something everyday.

#BROKEN Hasney
04-13-2012, 07:01 PM
That "Sega opening a NES up" rumour doesn't have much basis in reality. The SG-1000 was released on the very same day as the Famicom which is the console that became the Master System (Mark III in Japan at first) and the only real change was improved video hardware which was the aspect where Sega beat Nintendo in that generation.

V
04-17-2012, 09:56 AM
extremely difficult choice between N64 and SNES, but I went with N64. I remember how excited I was to get that system, and every game I bought for it. those were the days.