PDA

View Full Version : Is the "Legends" thing totally played out?

Gertner
04-12-2012, 05:32 PM
You all know me, I couldn't give two shits about workrate, but I'm kinda tired seeing these old relics on T.V. The Legends appearing has been completely done to death. I don't want to see Hacksaw Jim Duggan or Slaughter or anybody else relevant from the 1980's.

Am I alone on this?

Lock Jaw
04-12-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm not tired of it... but I'm tired of seeing the same ones all the time.

Droford
04-12-2012, 05:39 PM
I was wondering while watching SD if guys now will do the same thing in 20-30 years.

I have my doubts.

Fignuts
04-12-2012, 05:48 PM
I still enjoy Piper's sporadic appearances, but that's about it.

Lock Jaw
04-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Yeah. I can never get tired of Piper.

Pretty "worn out" on Slaughter and Duggan.

Swiss Ultimate
04-12-2012, 05:51 PM
I dunno. All I know is that I didn't watch Smackdown or care that I missed it.

Cool King
04-12-2012, 05:52 PM
I'm not tired of it... but I'm tired of seeing the same ones all the time.

Yeah. I can never get tired of Piper.

Pretty "worn out" on Slaughter and Duggan.

Damian Rey
04-12-2012, 06:01 PM
Im tired if yesteryears legends. The 80s are not relevant today, so bringing back guys from that era doesnt make as good of tv as it did 10 years ago. If they want to bring back guys fron the past, they should tap into the guys from the mid 90s to about the turn of the century. Those guys are a little more relevant and capable than the federation years' guys.

Lock Jaw
04-12-2012, 06:02 PM
Bring back Bull Buchanan.

DrCrawford
04-12-2012, 06:03 PM
yeah im tired of seeing duggan. i agree that i want more late 90's guys to appear not people from the late 80's early 90's

Lock Jaw
04-12-2012, 06:04 PM
I want to see them continue the Duggan is Kelly Kelly's father storyline, though. They went nowhere with that revelation!

Jordan
04-12-2012, 06:05 PM
It's time for new Legends. The New Age Outlaws, Steve Blackman, Gangrel, Shane o' Mac, bringem back!

Skippord
04-12-2012, 06:07 PM
maybe if you weren't such a fat virgin smark you would appreciate the fighting spirit these legends brought to the ring

Droford
04-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Bushwackers - Headbangers
Sgt Slaughter - The Patriot
Hacksaw Jim Duggan - Lethal Weapon Steve Blackman

Damian Rey
04-12-2012, 06:17 PM
Vader, Shamrock, Goldust, hell, get some WCW guys like Luger, the Steiners, Buff Bagwell, etc. They need somenew faces out there badly. The current crop just doesnt have it anymore. Well, Piper still has it, but hes an anamoly.

Frank Drebin
04-12-2012, 07:00 PM
To answer the thread question - Yes, it is played out because they keep trotting out the same legends everytime they do an old school type show. Its mostly guys who are still involved in things backstage which gives it even less of a "wow" factor when they come out. Its been said here already, but Piper is still the goods (See his Pipers Pit with Cena a few months back).

I didnt even care to watch the live smackdown when I saw the crew they had lined up for it - felt like it was going to be like a holiday show where nothing happens and there is just a food fight at the end.

Gertner
04-12-2012, 07:02 PM
Clox, get the fuck out of my thread. It's a cock-sucker free zone.

Rammsteinmad
04-12-2012, 07:17 PM
I was thinking the same thing watching Smackdown. It's been pretty boring for quite some time to be honest. Always the same ten guys, the only difference is I don't recall seeing Jimmy Snuka on Smackdown, unless I missed him.

Definitely agree they need some newer legends. I wanna see some really obscure, random guys that haven't been seen in forever. The Headbangers are a good example. Maybe someone like Raven, Dean Malenko or Perry Saturn.

Rammsteinmad
04-12-2012, 07:17 PM
Fuck, forgot Bobby Eaton.

dronepool
04-12-2012, 07:39 PM
You all know me, I couldn't give two shits about workrate, but I'm kinda tired seeing these old relics on T.V. The Legends appearing has been completely done to death. I don't want to see Hacksaw Jim Duggan or Slaughter or anybody else relevant from the 1980's.

Am I alone on this?

I enjoy Piper but the rest I couldn't really be amused by.

Gertner
04-12-2012, 07:45 PM
Fuck, forgot Bobby Eaton.

He should be a full timer, not a special appearence legend. The guy is just hitting his prime.

Damian Rey
04-12-2012, 08:21 PM
Hardcore Holly, Ahmed Johnson, MORE JBL, DLo Brown, Hakushi, The Godfather, Val Venus, Rikishi, Too Cool. Kronik, Sid, DDP. The possibilities are endless and all of those guys are still able to physically able to contribute. Id shit my pants for a Diamond Cutter.

Gertner
04-12-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm pretty sure both members of Kronik have been dead for a while.

Damian Rey
04-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Darn. Well regardless, theres a ton of older WCW guys who can be brought in for legend themed events. Stevie Ray, Billy Kidman, Raven, Goldberg, Glacier, Ernest Miller, Malenko, Ultimo Dragon, Juvy. A gimmick battle royal is in order.

Seth82
04-12-2012, 08:41 PM
yeah its lame seeing the same ones trotted out all the time

what about guys like Harley Race, Jerry Brisco, Terry Funk, Jose Lothario, Blackjack Lanza or Mulligan

Lock Jaw
04-12-2012, 08:43 PM
Only one member of KroniK is dead. Bryan Clark/Wrath/Adam Bomb is still alive.

Droford
04-12-2012, 08:51 PM
how many of these 90's guys are in TNA right now lol

Damian Rey
04-12-2012, 08:53 PM
All of those guys are too ancient, Seth. They wont be recieved well by the live crowds because they wont know who the fuck they are. I want legends that can still bump. If Jose Lothario is still around, I highly doubt he can do anything apart from hobbling around the ring, waving at people who dont know who he is.

Emperor Smeat
04-12-2012, 08:53 PM
Not tired of the WWE brining in Legends once in a while but like others have said, it does get boring or predictable when its just the same ones showing all the time.

I liked how Hacksaw showed up this year during the Rumble because that was the 25th anniversary and his special status as the first ever winner. On the other hand, someone like Dusty Rhodes becomes too predictable because when he shows up, its always for a skit or promo involving Goldust, Cody, or both.

Frank Drebin
04-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Run down a list of the rosters for the wrestling games for N64, and you could come up with some good options that people would mini-mark out for during and old school night:

Glacier, DDP, La Parka, Psychosis, Raven, Kidman, Saturn, Disco Inferno, X-Pac, Shamrock, Godfather/Papashango, D'lo Brown, Gangrel.......Insane Clown Posse.

Rollermacka
04-12-2012, 09:58 PM
I'd like to see just a night featuring "Legends" who are basically former wrestlers nobody really cared about.

Galaxy, Luther Reigns, Mustafa, Tom Brandi, Mo, Mantaur, Squat Team II, Razor Ramon (the fake one), Rick Fuller

Pintint
04-12-2012, 10:35 PM
Bring back Bull Buchanan.

I highly support this proposal.

Jura
04-12-2012, 10:42 PM
They did. He didn't look too good.

BigCrippyZ
04-12-2012, 11:15 PM
Run down a list of the rosters for the wrestling games for N64, and you could come up with some good options that people would mini-mark out for during and old school night:

Glacier, DDP, La Parka, Psychosis, Raven, Kidman, Saturn, Disco Inferno, X-Pac, Shamrock, Godfather/Papashango, D'lo Brown, Gangrel.......Insane Clown Posse.

:yes::y:

Well, I could deal without ICP honestly, but other than that, maybe Vader, Billy Gunn, Road Dogg, instead of the same guys we've been getting the last few years.

#1-norm-fan
04-13-2012, 12:19 AM
The nostaliga of it has worn off since now it's more of a "current" thing to bring in old guys to do stuff than it is something that makes you think fondly of the past.

With the exception of course of guys like Piper, Fink, etc who still have something to offer.

Hanso Amore
04-13-2012, 12:24 AM
WOULD LITERALLY KILL TO SEE DISCO INFERNO ON WWE TV

Hanso Amore
04-13-2012, 12:25 AM
I love the Legends idea. Nod to the past and lets the fans see older talent.

Just got to keep it fresh.

Rammsteinmad
04-13-2012, 07:29 AM
The problem is also bringing in legends people know. Guys like Piper have a lot of 'classic moments' in their careers, so even newer WWE fans would know that he has a history with the company.

I would seriously mark the fuck out if we saw obscure, forgotten guys from WCW make appearances. Guys like Lash LaRoux, Prince Laukea, Konnan or Lodi. Hell, even more higher-profile guys would be a fresh change; such as Lex Luger, Buff Bagwell, Sean O'Haire or Rick Steiner. But the problem is, nobody from todays audience will really know or care about these guys. Especially the cruiserweights I listed. (Though the crowd popping for a Lash LaRoux return would be incredible).

Rammsteinmad
04-13-2012, 07:30 AM
But def guys like DDP should be used more in legends roles now, and not just one backstage segment a year.

Mr. Nerfect
04-13-2012, 08:15 AM
I got really excited when I heard SmackDown! was going "old-school," because I thought that for one night they would bring back the original SmackDown! set and theme music:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9ozZFi3jre0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Then I found out it was just going to feature dudes who were considered legends when SmackDown! actually first went on the air and was kind of upset. :-\

It's great that the WWE gives these guys money to go out there and do their thing -- it's got to be really rewarding and special for these dudes who busted their ass back in the day -- but it's not something that I really like to see. It's mainly because these guys are too old to do anything but talk, or do anything that will really stick the following week and if they do something physical, it's at the expense of a dude who will be there next week and it sort of makes them look weak.

I have no problem with the occasional Piper's Pit, or interviewing Pat Patterson about how prestigious the Intercontinental Title is, or even having the occasion comedy segment with Ron Simmons. Hell, bring back some guys as managers to get the younger generation over. It's just seeing "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan still wrestle, as tough as I'm sure that sumbitch is, that kind of wears on me.

Give me a Scotty 2 Hotty appearance, though. That would be welcome.

Taker it Easy
04-13-2012, 08:42 AM
The short answer is yes, it is played out. The Torch recently hosted an article regarding this that I agree with mostly.

I think it is less than effective to sell a show based on a legends and that it also does not build up your current product. It is great to see young talents work with legends, they may learn something yet that seems unlikely if it is a one night scenario.

Some legends are of value in appropriate places and quantity. Piper may be able to add to the product, for example. Fink can still announce well. Hacksaw was great in the Rumble, a true surprise. Yet on Super Smackdown they seemed to be a jambalaya of geriatrics and out of place figures.

Fragile X has a great idea, it is time to bring back the legends of the 90's. WWE may have poor business ethics behind the scene, in regards to maintaining long term positive relationships with non 1980's talent. This is the future of legends.

P.S. I was disgusted to see the legends beat up Cole and whomever else they beat up. It was like a poorly staged or thought out reverse Clockwork Orange.

Beating up Cole is so last year.

Rollermacka
04-13-2012, 09:07 AM
WOULD LITERALLY KILL TO SEE BUFF BAGWELL ON WWE TV

Taker it Easy
04-13-2012, 09:11 AM
Regarding the time I met Buff Bagwell. (http://www.tpww.net/forums/showthread.php?p=3760296#post3760296)

James Steele
04-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Taker It Easy there, guy.

Innovator
04-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Every big angle needs a Piper's Pit, he always hits a home run when he appears

whiteyford
04-13-2012, 03:10 PM
Like everyone else has said, the concept is still good just the Legends that are tired and played out. They're releasing a new ECW DVD soon so why not bring in old ECW talent as a way to help plug it,same with WCW when they release new DVDs, at least mix it up a little.

Skippord
04-13-2012, 04:35 PM
well they don't bring in old ECW talent because their dick supervisors at Pizza Hut won't allow it

whiteyford
04-13-2012, 04:45 PM
I see what you did there...

Theo Dious
04-13-2012, 07:21 PM
Sgt Slaughter can show up whenever the hell he wants to. Piper can show up to deliver hype. Mick Foley can show up to do commentary. Other than that I don't give a shit about any of those guys.

#1-norm-fan
04-13-2012, 07:46 PM
Yeah, situations like that where the guy is actually doing something he's really good at is cool. Foley coming in to cut a killer promo or commentate, Piper doing Piper's Pit, Fink announcing something, Pat Patterson sucking a dude's cock, etc.

Gertner
04-13-2012, 07:53 PM
well they don't bring in old ECW talent because their dick supervisors at Pizza Hut won't allow it

That's what happens when ROH wrestlers get any power.

itsmeJD
04-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Fink should still have a full-time announcing gig. Fuck Justin Roberts and his goofy ass enunciation..

#1-norm-fan
04-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Yeah, but it's like announcers. They gotta groom the next guy. Fink can't do it forever.

itsmeJD
04-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Well tell that fucker to stop announcing the way he does....I want to punch him in the nuts everytime I hear jjjoooooHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHnn cEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEnnnaaaaaa.

For the record, Fink should do it until he's dead. Groom the other fuckers on shows I don't watch like Superstars or NXT.

Skippord
04-13-2012, 09:17 PM
I'm a little surprised Fink isn't dead already

Mr. Nerfect
04-13-2012, 10:32 PM
I like Justin Roberts. A lot. :(

Howard Finkel will always be the man, though. I have no problem with CM Punk bringing him in to do special ring introductions for him more often.

Lilian Garcia is the worst ring announcer the WWE has.

Mr. JL
04-13-2012, 11:08 PM
I fucking cannot stand Justin Roberts.

#1-norm-fan
04-13-2012, 11:13 PM
I don't know what people want in an announcer. I feel like people are asking too much after Howard Finkel's amazingness. People need to move on and be accepting of the next era. Finks don't grow on trees.

Tom Guycott
04-14-2012, 12:19 AM
Basically, the consensus is that "Legends" are a good idea, but the window needs to shift from the usual suspects from the early/mid 80's.

Honestly, when people talk about SCSA, they act like he was still actively wrestling and that it were only year ago that his feud with The Rock over the Intercontinental Title (which he chucked off a bridge) happened. The "heyday" of Austin 3:16 was like 15 years ago. Guys like Austin should be brought in for shows like this.

The guys IN THAT WHEELHOUSE should be "Legends" by now. They need to see that people like New Age Outlaws were the established names for the young kids who just started watching like guys like Duggan and Slaughter were for older people like me. As "cool" as it was for that attempted angle of Nash, honestly, HE is in "Legend" position. Needs occasional screentime for random surprise appearances for that "I remember him" pop. Not so much taking a shot at his rickety legs as pointing out that he's about in the point of his career that he's the "new Piper".

One thing that doesn't help is that so many wrestlers that would fall into this area are either dead (like Owen... hell, the first 5 people I thought of were dead :'( damn), still active, or Jeff Jarrett.

Really, how many gems like Steamboat will still be able to go hold for hold with their younger counterparts? Nostalgia only goes so far. Even there, you have to play to their strengths... or in this case, where they may still have them after age and injury catches up with them.

Tom Guycott
04-14-2012, 12:21 AM
I don't know what people want in an announcer. I feel like people are asking too much after Howard Finkel's amazingness. People need to move on and be accepting of the next era. Finks don't grow on trees.

Also, Chimmel.

And be thankful for even Lilian, as it could be worse. We could still be in the days where LINDA was a ring announcer. Ugh, that'll put butts in seats.

LuigiD
04-14-2012, 01:03 AM
I do like seeing the legends but its always the same shit.
I do feel like they are starting to take notice though.
We have all heard of the rumors of WWE 13 having an Attitude theme. Legends are cool..just not the same ones.

MoFo
04-14-2012, 01:18 AM
Hate it when Duggan and Snuka take spots in the Rumble as 'surprises'.

XCaliber
04-14-2012, 02:48 PM
I'm with most peeps on this one I don't mind having Legends appear once and awhile but at the same time they shouldn't be using the same ones repeatedly like Slaughter and Duggan for jobbing especially.