PDA

View Full Version : Led Zepplin - Stairway to heaven...Satanic Message?

KleptoKlown
05-05-2004, 10:07 PM
I've heard about this before, that if you play stairway to heaven backwards, you'll hear some satanic message. Never actually <i>heard</i> it played backwards till now, gotta say, the whole heaven and hell thing...well, make up your own minds.
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/stairway.php

Silent
05-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Sounds fake. Sometime I will download the song and reverse it myself in CEP.

KleptoKlown
05-05-2004, 10:14 PM
i wanna try it on vinal one day.

Evil Vito
05-05-2004, 11:04 PM
<font color=goldenrod>Is it possible to reverse songs in Winamp?</font>

Penner
05-05-2004, 11:08 PM
I heard about that.

You can reverse songs in sound recorder.

Penner
05-05-2004, 11:20 PM
<embed src="http://www.symcanada.com/users/school/pennz/sth.wav" autoplay=false controls=true>
http://www.symcanada.com/users/school/pennz/sth.wav

Here's one I did on sound recorder. I took it from my mp3 of the song.

Sounds pretty close. It would probably sound even closer on vinyl.

MVP
05-06-2004, 12:02 AM
I don't believe it.

Champion of Europa
05-06-2004, 01:04 AM
I'm freaked out now.

Tranny
05-06-2004, 01:10 AM
Sounds fake. Sometime I will download the song and reverse it myself in CEP.

I thought so too, but I did it, and it's not fake..

el fregadero
05-06-2004, 01:25 AM
Who cares? Doesn't make me think any less of the song/band.

KleptoKlown
05-06-2004, 04:36 AM
Who cares? Doesn't make me think any less of the song/band.

never said it makes any less of the song or the band...

its still a little strange to say the least.

Vega
05-06-2004, 05:01 AM
LOL

That rules.

Kane Knight
05-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Sounds like it was enhanced.

Funky Fly
05-07-2004, 03:03 PM
After hearing Penner's version, I must agree with KK (the knight, not the klown). IThe flash ne is very enhanced.

Kane Knight
05-07-2004, 03:10 PM
I recorded the lyrics myself, reversing them in sound recorder. If you use your imagination, it still sounds kind of like those words, but only kind of. I don't think anyone not in the indset already would come up with this.

The enhanced version sounds wrong. It has something to do with the contours of the sound.

It sounds like this was strained to backup a fabrication. Other supposed "backmasked" messages sound similar if you're in the right mindset and actually looking for it.

Disturbed316
05-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Damn :eek:

Downunder
05-07-2004, 08:31 PM
You hear what you want to hear.

Backmasking was a concept made up by a record company exec to get kids to ruin their vinyl records by playing them backwads to get them to buy more.

The Forgotten One
05-07-2004, 11:00 PM
http://www.reversespeech.com/Simple_Examples.htm

Check that shit out.

Jesus Shuttlesworth
05-08-2004, 01:51 AM
Sounds like the start of a Wu Tang beat off the Wu Tang Forever CD lol

Hired Hitman
05-08-2004, 02:28 AM
i just tried it in sound recorder and it kinda sounds the same, like KK said.

some one will need to get the song off the cd or something to compare...

Hired Hitman
05-08-2004, 02:29 AM
okay penner did it, i'd listen to that :cool:

Hired Hitman
05-08-2004, 02:31 AM
that is kinda cool... like there are two sides to everything :D

xXxClouderxXx
05-08-2004, 02:35 AM
i sang the verse almost exactly like plant acopella and recorded it in sound recorder and reversed it and it played out my voice saying oh heres to my sweet satan and so on.... :shifty: :shifty: so i was kinda freaked out cause i seriously thought it was fake but i guess that proved it wasent... :shifty: :shifty: was this planed by zeppelin or was it just a reflection of robert plants subconstious mind.... who knows?

Hired Hitman
05-08-2004, 02:40 AM
... On that reverse speech website, it says that what you say played backwards is what you're thinking... I'm gonna try it out.

xXxClouderxXx
05-08-2004, 02:47 AM
the weirdest part is where he says "there was a little toolshed where he used to make us suffer, sad satan"

THATS STRAIGHT ****ED UP RIGHT

Hired Hitman
05-08-2004, 02:49 AM
nothing really :/

Kane Knight
05-08-2004, 03:17 AM
I hear the Bible contains Satanic messages if played backwards. :shifty:

xXxClouderxXx
05-08-2004, 03:24 AM
I hear the Bible contains Satanic messages if played backwards. :shifty:
Hmmmm :wtf: i dident kno u could even "play" the bible forward :wtf:

Hired Hitman
05-08-2004, 05:43 AM
Well The Church tends to Play the bible for all it's worth... what? ;)

Kane Knight
05-08-2004, 12:03 PM
Hmmmm :wtf: i dident kno u could even "play" the bible forward :wtf:
You're a retard.

KleptoKlown
05-08-2004, 03:03 PM
well guys, its not really a satanic message...instead of 666, he's saying sex sex sex, toolshed is toolsheath (tool=penis sheath=condom) and he's suffering because someone was making him wear a condom, which was unheard of in the 70s.

So its not satanic, its just that Plant is really a pervert :shifty:

Kane Knight
05-08-2004, 03:05 PM
And instead of Satan, he's saying Seyda.

(Sorry, Seyda, the closest I could come before your name was Stan...Didn't work too well)

KleptoKlown
05-08-2004, 03:08 PM
But seriously, in order to write lyrics that mean something going forward, and mean something goings backwards is next to impossible...one or two words, maybe, but full verses, well you'd have the be a lyrical genius beyond lyrical geniuses. I highly doubt this was done intentionally.

Regardless of its intentions is does sound pretty cool :D

Kane Knight
05-08-2004, 03:15 PM
{lepto]{lown']But seriously, in order to write lyrics that mean something going forward, and mean something goings backwards is next to impossible...one or two words, maybe, but full verses, well you'd have the be a lyrical genius beyond lyrical geniuses. I highly doubt this was done intentionally.

Regardless of its intentions is does sound pretty cool :D
It's actually possible. Some people can "see" the geometry of sounds, their shapes and whatnot. It's a function of both psychoacoustic and linguistic faculties.

However, it's exremely unlikely that it's more than coincidence.

Savio
05-08-2004, 04:08 PM
He said may queen pretty weird.

OssMan
05-08-2004, 04:31 PM
Holy shit. I did my own version in Sound Forge and I'm freaked out.

Savio
05-08-2004, 07:43 PM
I sang it my self and it kinda sounded like the same thing backwards.

05-10-2004, 04:28 PM
Actually the theory is that the toolshed was supposed to be some sort of club where several of the band members frequented, but that's besides the point - the whole theory on backmasking is a complete myth. If it's meant to be in there then you'll know it (IE the stuff the Beatles and Pink Floyd did which is obviously deliberate). If, when played backwards, it sort of vaguely sounds like the words you've heard it's supposed to be, then it's a total fluke constructed by someone who has the imagination to think up some sentences it sounds like as opposed to something deliberately set up.

On the other hand, I'll admit it does sound pretty cool. The Stairway to Heaven one (greatest song ever, by the way) is blatantly accidental despite some odd references in the song ("and if you listen very hard, the tune will come to you at last" or "And you know sometimes words have two meanings"... interesting) but it's still cool in my eyes.

There's some other good examples out there too - during Another One Bites the Dust by Queen when Mercury repeats the title of the song over, when played backwards it sounds like "It's fun to smoke Marijuana". And I read somewhere a while back that the theme to Popeye has some profanity-ridden stuff on sex, but I've never tried it.

Finally, don't you think it's odd that nobody has ever played a song backwards and found a hidden backwards message instructing you to help old ladies across the road, study hard, eat your vegetables and be a nice person in general, instead prefering to promote sex, drugs, rock'n'roll and Satan?

Kane Knight
05-10-2004, 04:32 PM
Another one bites the dust is another one where if you listen closely, in the right mindset, you can sorta justify it. That's all.

My favorite Queen example is the supposedly "backmasked" intro to "One vision."

Supposedly, "sweet Satan" Shows up there too. :roll:

OssMan
05-10-2004, 04:34 PM
http://subliminal.ytmnd.com/

05-10-2004, 04:37 PM
Oh, here's a couple more I remembered - the Pokemon theme is supposed to have "I love Satan" in there several times (either there are lots of words that sound like 'Satan' when spoken backwards or there's something they're not telling me) and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star is supposed to say "I wish there were no Allah". Hmmm...

Kane Knight
05-10-2004, 04:38 PM
k

xXxClouderxXx
05-10-2004, 06:21 PM
Kane... why do you give me bad reps? do you hate me? if you do explain please

OssMan
05-10-2004, 06:39 PM
TAKE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE. :rant:

The Outlaw
05-10-2004, 08:22 PM
Judas Priest - Beyond Realms

Wasn't that the song that allegedly caused two teenagers to enter into a suicide pact with one surviving?

I remember it was a Judas Priest song. Anybody with help on this? The message backwards said something like I want to die or I took my life or something?

el fregadero
05-10-2004, 08:49 PM
It was a Judas Priest song, but the messages, supposedly, could be heard when listening to the song in it's normal manner (forward).

The Outlaw
05-10-2004, 08:50 PM
Finally, don't you think it's odd that nobody has ever played a song backwards and found a hidden backwards message instructing you to help old ladies across the road, study hard, eat your vegetables and be a nice person in general, instead prefering to promote sex, drugs, rock'n'roll and Satan?

Mindless Self Indulgence - Backmask ;)

Kane Knight
05-11-2004, 01:21 AM
There's a difference between backmasking and sublimidable messages.

Kane Knight
05-11-2004, 01:22 AM
I hear that when you play Eminem songs backwards, you get positive messages.

packt up
05-11-2004, 10:41 AM
Judas Priest - Beyond Realms

Wasn't that the song that allegedly caused two teenagers to enter into a suicide pact with one surviving?

I remember it was a Judas Priest song. Anybody with help on this? The message backwards said something like I want to die or I took my life or something?

It apparently said the words "do it" over and over again if I remember correctly which the parents said was a reference to suicide and drove the kids to it. And as El Freg said it was heard playing the song forward.

The judge said there was something which sounded like that but accepted that it was due to some technical glich or process during recording and the band were found not guilty.

Hired Hitman
05-11-2004, 10:52 AM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Kane Knight again.

05-11-2004, 12:34 PM
There's a difference between backmasking and sublimidable messages.

I know, but that's half the issue with backmasking - conspiracy theorists believing that Led Zepellin/Queen/Britney Spears/AC DC stuck them in deliberately in order to preach the word about Satan/drugs/sex/Satan again. The point is unintentional backmasking always seems to produce messages of a very shady nature as opposed to anything positive.

Kane Knight
05-11-2004, 12:50 PM
I know, but that's half the issue with backmasking - conspiracy theorists believing that Led Zepellin/Queen/Britney Spears/AC DC stuck them in deliberately in order to preach the word about Satan/drugs/sex/Satan again. The point is unintentional backmasking always seems to produce messages of a very shady nature as opposed to anything positive.
Yeah. Conspiracy nuts and Puritans don't understand the difference.

Backmasking doesn't work in the same way, but the arguments often confuse the two. Backmasking won't really have any effect unless you know what to look for, and play the records backwards. So basically, the idiots are promoiting that which they're decrying (Of course, whether it was the artist's intent or not).

Keep in mind that this whole Satanism in music goes back as long as there's been a real musical community.

Back in the days of the Church being one of the biggest patrons of music, the Tri-Tone was avoided because it was considered the "Devil's interval." IT was called that because a diagram of a tri-tone looks like a pitchfork...:|

I'm serious here. It's how blues got the monicker the "Devil's Music."

05-11-2004, 01:27 PM
While we're at it, let's boycott McDonalds because their logo is a big 'M' and a capital M looks like a pair of horns.

Kane Knight
05-11-2004, 02:21 PM
I like the way you think.

If you play their old jingle (Food, Folks, and Fun) backwards, you end up with "Kill your parents in the name of our Dark Master."

Also, Ronald has Red Hair. Clearly a demonic visage, especially with that horrible smile.

05-11-2004, 02:25 PM
I've always maintained that I would never let any of my kids anywhere near Ronald McDonald, the guy is really scary looking, and I'm not even afraid of clowns.

I remember when my brother worked there, he brought home the staff newsletter once, which included a page with pictures of all the recent parties and stuff they'd had - all the Ronalds looked totally different, with only one thing in common - the misery etched across their face. I guess sad clowns DO make me laugh after all.

OssMan
10-08-2004, 11:48 PM
well sorry to bump this thread, but I took the Pat Boone (50's style singer who sang metal and rock covers) version of Stairway to Heaven, and you could still here it. I will upload it and put it on here.

OssMan
10-08-2004, 11:51 PM
<embed src="http://members.cox.net/mikenegrin/boonestairway.wav" autostart=false">

The Mask
10-09-2004, 01:53 PM
I hear that when you play Eminem songs backwards, you get positive messages.

I hear when you play eminem songs backwards, they sound better.

DaveWadding
10-09-2004, 03:21 PM
No, Mask, they sound better when you dont play them at all.

Champion of Europa
10-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Its shocking how many words in the English language sound like "Satan" backwards.

loopydate
10-09-2004, 09:02 PM
Its shocking how many words in the English language sound like "Satan" backwards.
Yeah.

I mean, if artists weren't allowed to use "Natas" in songs anymore... :shifty:

M-A-G
10-09-2004, 09:19 PM
To this day, I still don't get what the hell is so great about that song. Maybe backwards is the way to go.

The Mask
10-09-2004, 09:29 PM
Yeah, I'm with M-A-G. The solo rules quite a lot, but the rest is.. meh. led zep have far better.