PDA

View Full Version : If a fat guy can be a very very popular champ, how could it happen?

Damndirty
04-30-2012, 04:50 AM
I can see it happening, and I "want" to see it happen, but by a very slim margin, can I see it. Is our generation addicted to seeing the equivalent of a Nazi super-soldier as the only way to draw a huge crowd, or is there hope for fat bastards? Does this personify gluttony, and why people shun heavyweights with a little chunk on them as sinful? Samoa Joe almost got there, so what went wrong? If there is a fat wrestler who can go the distance, who and how?

James Steele
04-30-2012, 04:56 AM
Samoa Joe is an overrated piece of shit with an extremely unlikeable face.

Anyway, Dusty Rhodes was a fat ass for the 70s-80s and he is one of the biggest names in all of wrestling. A fat guy can get over and be one of the biggest stars in wrestling, but they will have to be like CM Punk in their ability to just be undeniably awesome in every aspect of pro wrestling. Dusty had it all. Anyone who truly has "it" in every aspect is going to get over and won't be held back forever.

Shadrick
04-30-2012, 05:04 AM
Foley?

Damndirty
04-30-2012, 05:08 AM
When I think of a "fat" guy to be a real badass, I think of Sammo Hung. He is "fat", but he is not out of shape. There haven't been too many fat guys I wasn't a fan of, but there were some who were just fat and only relied on that. I think with this age aiming towards tolerance, a fat superface is what we need. People may disagree with me, and I don't give a shit, but the whole Hitler-esque view of how a person should look or act is getting really fucking annoying to me.

James Steele
04-30-2012, 05:08 AM
Foley transcended his girth.

Damndirty
04-30-2012, 05:11 AM
Foley was another favorite, but still, in his prime, people were begging for the Rock or Austin more than him (not me, btw). Nobody else would take as much damage as that mofocko!

James Steele
04-30-2012, 05:13 AM
Foley was another favorite, but still, in his prime, people were begging for the Rock or Austin more than him (not me, btw). Nobody else would take as much damage as that mofocko!

I think you are underestimating just how over "Mankind" was.

Shadrick
04-30-2012, 05:15 AM
Mankind was over as shit, Damndirty.

Damndirty
04-30-2012, 05:21 AM
Yeah, but still... during the Mcmahon Helmsley Era, people went for the Rock. I remember that like yesterday, hell, I even wrote it in my journal. I couldn't give a shit about the Rock as much as I did Foley, nowhere near. I was even PRAYING for Foley to win, but... the Rock still stuck. I was definitely pissed and even went into a hiatus period.

VSG
04-30-2012, 06:58 AM
Mizark

Swiss Ultimate
04-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Yeah, but still... during the Mcmahon Helmsley Era, people went for the Rock. I remember that like yesterday, hell, I even wrote it in my journal. I couldn't give a shit about the Rock as much as I did Foley, nowhere near. I was even PRAYING for Foley to win, but... the Rock still stuck. I was definitely pissed and even went into a hiatus period.

Single greatest bad post in wrestling forum.

:eek:

Innovator
04-30-2012, 10:41 AM
You have to be a common man working hard with your hands.

Swiss Ultimate
04-30-2012, 11:42 AM
Like Regal.

Shadrick
04-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Or Dusty.

Nark Order
04-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Yep. That was the joke, Shadrick.

Good thing you were here to needlessly point out that Inno was making a Dusty Rhodes reference. What would we have done?

MoFo
04-30-2012, 12:36 PM
Umaga should of been champ.

Keith
04-30-2012, 02:22 PM
Yokozuna was Champion in a time when Vince and the WWF was still into big, muscular guys, coming off the heels of Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, etc.

Now, the only guy who's transcended his bodytype has been Mark Henry.

DAMN iNATOR
04-30-2012, 02:23 PM
It's happened before. Is your memory so shot that you can't even remember Mark Henry winning the WHC last year?

CSL
04-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Mark Henry isn't close to being "fat" in the sense of Samoa Joe, Yoko, Dusty etc

Keith
04-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Mark Henry isn't close to being "fat" in the sense of Samoa Joe, Yoko, Dusty etc

True. He's the only guy who's close to being in that group. No one else comes to mind right now. Rotunda's son is in the "Dusty, Yoko, Samoe Joe" club, but he isn't even a regular on the WWE Roster.

Ruien
04-30-2012, 02:32 PM
Why would I want a guy with a gut be my champion?

DLVH84
04-30-2012, 02:39 PM
It would be a great change of pace. Because it would give them a different type of champion for challengers to face.

BollywoodSingh
04-30-2012, 03:38 PM
Yokozuna was Champion in a time when Vince and the WWF was still into big, muscular guys, coming off the heels of Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, etc.

Now, the only guy who's transcended his bodytype has been Mark Henry.

Mark Henry's body type helps his career. He might be a bit fat but he also falls into the big man/monster category. Same with Yokozuna. I think this thread is more about wrestlers that are fat but aren't considered "big men", like Samoa Joe and Husky Harris.

Supreme Olajuwon
04-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Rikishi was over as fuck back in the day. Swear to god that chubby samoan could've been a great world champ.

PrettyCool
04-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Rikishi was over as fuck back in the day. Swear to god that chubby samoan could've been a great world champ.

Not really, when they tried to push him as a main eventer, he totally failed...

James Steele
04-30-2012, 04:04 PM
Not really, when they tried to push him as a main eventer, he totally failed...

...because they completely changed him and turned him heel by revealing him as the one who ran over Stone Cold because he "did it for The Rock". He couldn't play a violent badass heel after rubbing his ass in peoples' faces for the past year and a half.

Keith
04-30-2012, 04:07 PM
He couldn't play a violent badass heel after rubbing his ass in peoples' faces for the past year and a half.

Right.

It's the same thing with Big Show. He's done so much goofy stuff, that it makes it difficult for me to view him as a credible heel, as a "monster".

Supreme Olajuwon
04-30-2012, 04:09 PM
I think Big Show could do it. However, when Rikishi turned heel, they still had him wearing that fucking thong. COME ON MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

James Steele
04-30-2012, 04:10 PM
Brodus Clay is going to be like Rikishi. He will be over and be a "fun gimmick" that they will kill once they try and push him and completely change what got him over in the first place. Why is Santino so fucking over? Because he is FUN. Fans like to have FUN at wrestling shows.

Keith
Haha yeah. The difference between Heel Rikishi and Face Rikishi is he stopped dancing for fans.

James Steele
I think Big Show could do it. However, when Rikishi turned heel, they still had him wearing that fucking thong. COME ON MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Yeah, now he was rubbing his ass in their faces OUT OF RAGE.

Keith
04-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Yeah, now he was rubbing his ass in their faces OUT OF RAGE.

It would be great if when he went heel, he would've kept rubbing his ass in people's faces but as he did it, he'd be taunting people like "What? What are you gonna do about it?"

Damndirty
05-05-2012, 09:13 PM
It's happened before. Is your memory so shot that you can't even remember Mark Henry winning the WHC last year?

Yeah, but see how long his reign lasted? I remember why it wasn't worth mentioning. This thread is not just some fat guy wins the championship, I'm asking how can he be a very very popular one, a Superface (a Cena, Rock, Austin, or Hogan).

St. Jimmy
05-05-2012, 09:33 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vmI7vbg69tk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

St. Jimmy
05-05-2012, 09:34 PM
NEXT. WORLD. CHAMP.

Damndirty
05-05-2012, 10:14 PM
They need more ROH guys in WWE to complete the formula. Someone like Colt Cabana, who's heavyset but not out of shape.

Mr. Nerfect
05-06-2012, 09:35 PM
Part of me was sort of hoping for Colt Cabana to be in the crowd and assault Jericho in the crowd at Extreme Rules. :-\

I'd have been really hyped for CM Punk & Colt Cabana vs. Chris Jericho & Christian.

SlickyTrickyDamon
05-06-2012, 09:36 PM
Fat guys can get over as long as they wear something that hides the fact that they are massively fat.

Husky Harris would have been better off not wearing wrestling trunks.

Indifferent Clox
05-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Funkasourous will be a future champ

SlickyTrickyDamon
05-06-2012, 10:57 PM
They going to have a Dance Competition title? I thought they were going to do a Swimsuit competition title when Torrie Wilson won all of them in a row.

itsmeJD
05-07-2012, 11:21 AM
For some reason, whenever I see Brodus Clay I imagine him throwing that headbutt into both of those stupid dancers and ditching that stupid gimmick. The only thing I can compare it to is when Bischoff had the HLA girls out only for 3 minute warning to totally fuck them up. If Brodus turns, he needs to do it mid-dance with two rib busting headbutts.

Vastardikai
05-08-2012, 04:26 AM
Husky Harris would have been better off not wearing wrestling trunks.

:lol::naughty::shifty: STD thinks Husky Harris would be better off naked! :shifty::naughty::lol:

I'm just giving you shit for the way you typed that out.

owenbrown
05-08-2012, 04:32 AM
:|:nono:

Keith
05-08-2012, 11:12 AM
For some reason, whenever I see Brodus Clay I imagine him throwing that headbutt into both of those stupid dancers and ditching that stupid gimmick. The only thing I can compare it to is when Bischoff had the HLA girls out only for 3 minute warning to totally fuck them up. If Brodus turns, he needs to do it mid-dance with two rib busting headbutts.

At some point, fans are going to turn on Brodus. They will begin booing him.

FourFifty
05-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Rikishi could have done it during his prime. That one bit on Raw where they drew a "random" name for a title shot and it turned out to be Rikishi (which I think is a decent idea for a PPV where someone gets their name drawn at random), he could have done it last night. With his ties to The Rock, he could have been put in the main event. It's almost criminal that Rikishi didn't become WWE champion.

Swish
05-08-2012, 12:56 PM
Vader had that spot, am surprised he never got the chance
to become WWE Champion back in the day.

His feud with Goldust was awesome when he vader bombed Luna :D

Keith
05-08-2012, 03:15 PM
I remember watching a Jim Cornette shoot on You Tube, and he said that Vader and Shawn were supposed to have a trilogy of matches: Summerslam 1996, Survivor Series 1996 (where Vader would beat HBK for the WWF Title and Royal Rumble 1997 (which was held in Shawn's hometown of San Antonio, Texas and where he was supposed to regain the belt, thus ending the feud).

However, after their 1996 Summerslam match, HBK allegedly complained to Vince that Vader was "too stiff" and he didn't like working with him. So the feud was dropped, and it was Psycho Sid who ended up working with Shawn at Survivor Series 1996 and Royal Rumble 1997.

Anybody Thrilla
05-08-2012, 04:03 PM
I still remember Sid using that camera as a weapon. I was shocked when he won.

Vader would have been way better in that match, though.

Keith
05-08-2012, 04:04 PM
This is where Jim talks about how HBK had a lot to do with Vader not making it big in WWF

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/kUZizMxgSlY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Keith
05-08-2012, 04:12 PM
And this is where Jim Cornette talks about how Vader and HBK were supposed to work the three matches, as I said above:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mIKBDHNYeII" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

XL
05-09-2012, 04:52 PM
NEXT. WORLD. CHAMP.
Does Steen have some dirt on the McMahons?

Double D
05-09-2012, 08:06 PM
http://i.imgur.com/extcM.jpg

How could anyone forget the most dominant ECW Champion of all time? So the answer is yes, it only takes 4 tits and Matt Striker in your corner.

James Steele
05-09-2012, 11:42 PM
http://i.imgur.com/extcM.jpg

How could anyone forget the most dominant ECW Champion of all time? So the answer is yes, it only takes 4 tits and Matt Striker in your corner.

He was never ECW Champion.

*EDIT: ...unless you mean Extreme Chicken Wings Champion.

Curd
05-10-2012, 01:31 AM
He could be very poop-ular by doing some or all of the following:
1) Incorporate a running @$$ attack in his moveset (like Iceman Parsons and Goldust)
2) Bust out some vanilla midget moves (anything with twisting and/or flipping)
3) Subtly act like a heel while wearing a $#*T-eating grin (like Big Show, but every single second while on camera) :D

SlickyTrickyDamon
05-10-2012, 01:36 AM
Does Steen have some dirt on the McMahons?

He was trained by the Quebeccers. Could be a reason why he's not in the WWE yet. I heard Jacques has some heat with them.