PDA

View Full Version : You know, I thought the Rolling Stone lists were horrible...

Vastardikai
05-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Then I saw Spin's 100 Greatest Guitarists of All Time...

http://www.spin.com/articles/spins-100-greatest-guitarists-all-time?page=0

According to this bullshit list, do you who is a better guitar player than Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Randy Rhodes, Eric Clapton, Robert Johnson, and Eddie Van Halen? FUCKING SKRILLEX!!!! None of those guys are on the list, but Skrillex is at 100.

Better than that, if you get to #10, be prepared to laugh your ass off.

I'll give them props for recognizing some death metal axe-men, as well as Wino and King Buzzo.

Juan
05-03-2012, 10:47 PM
I dunno, I think Jam Master Jay makes more sense than Skrillex

I mean, listen to this

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NMeIJVfcccM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

or even

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KC6cjzoG1-Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Although #10 might be a bit too high on the list

CSL
05-03-2012, 10:49 PM
it mentions why Hendrix, Johnson, Clapton and co. (the"traditional" guitarists) aren't in it in the opening paragraph

Vastardikai
05-03-2012, 11:45 PM
it mentions why Hendrix, Johnson, Clapton and co. (the"traditional" guitarists) aren't in it in the opening paragraph

I didn't see the explanation, but I understand where they're going. It's bullshit, because I'd argue the inclusion of Skrillex at the expense of even Kirk Windstein (Crowbar), Woody Weatherman (COC), or Tim Sult (Clutch) is a travesty.

More than that, I'd probably put Willie Nelson in my personal top ten of guitar players. And how can they disqualify Hendrix when he used his guitar playing talents for "unique and exploratory ends?"

Kane Knight
05-04-2012, 11:30 AM

Still fucking stupid to include people who don't actually, you know, play guitar in a list of the best guitarists.

I do get the whole "old guard" deal, but that's still retarded.

Requiem
05-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Dumb list.

Jack White gets listed as like the 17th greatest guitar player of all time in their normal list, but in an 'alternative' list he gets bumped down to 33. And somehow Prince is still on this list even though they bumped out a lot of the old guys?

Rammsteinmad
05-04-2012, 11:52 AM
Seriously have no idea who half of these guys are.

Blue Demon
05-04-2012, 12:24 PM
It's a pretty ridiculous list...also this:

dronepool
05-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Many years ago learned these "of All Time..." lists are almost always some journalist (or magazine publisher's) bullshit opinions, so it's a waste of energy to get annoyed at their lists.

Rammsteinmad
05-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Pretty much what Dronepool said.

I can understand the logic behind trying to do something different than the usual Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page etc stuff, but it kinda comes across that whoever wrote this list just listed any small/obscure/unknown guitarist he could think of, for the sake of making himself seem artsy and eclectic.

Rammsteinmad
05-04-2012, 05:50 PM
I mean, if he's avoiding the typical big names, there's a shit-ton of guitarists who should have been on that list who never make those types of lists. Where's Brendt Allman and Gary Wehrkamp?! Nobody here knows who they are, so they're perfect for that list! :mad:

(Guitarists from Shadow Gallery, for the -0.003 people who interested).

Droford
05-04-2012, 06:53 PM
The top 40 comedy albums of all time (linked at the bottom of this) is an even bigger joke..Who the fuck thinks Patton Oswalt deserves to be in the top 5 with George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy and Bill Cosby. Really?

whiteyford
05-04-2012, 06:54 PM
No Status Quo either,c'mon.

Kane Knight
05-06-2012, 08:35 AM
The top 40 comedy albums of all time (linked at the bottom of this) is an even bigger joke..Who the fuck thinks Patton Oswalt deserves to be in the top 5 with George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy and Bill Cosby. Really?
Who the fuck thinks Bill Cosby deserves to be in the top five?

Kane Knight
05-06-2012, 08:38 AM
Many years ago learned these "of All Time..." lists are almost always some journalist (or magazine publisher's) bullshit opinions, so it's a waste of energy to get annoyed at their lists.

Pretty much what Dronepool said.

I can understand the logic behind trying to do something different than the usual Jimi Hendrix/Jimmy Page etc stuff, but it kinda comes across that whoever wrote this list just listed any small/obscure/unknown guitarist he could think of, for the sake of making himself seem artsy and eclectic.

Just not seeing these as the same.

FakeLaser
05-06-2012, 10:30 AM
Wait

Skrillex plays guitar?

Kane Knight
05-06-2012, 10:36 AM
No, they don't Flaser. That's kinda covered right in the article.

Gertner
05-06-2012, 11:39 AM
Wait

Skrillex plays guitar?

Yeah, he was in some band before the Dubstep shit.

Fignuts
05-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Who the fuck thinks Bill Cosby deserves to be in the top five?

Many, many people.

His act is timeless. I've seen him live and he was amazing.

El Fangel
05-07-2012, 01:10 PM
This mag had Pinkerton as the 3rd worst album of the year. The next year it placed #16 on their all time list.

So yeah, don't take this mag seriously at all.

Kane Knight
05-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Many, many people.

His act is timeless. I've seen him live and he was amazing.

lollllllz.

St. Jimmy
05-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Music Journalism? Radiohead? RADIOHEAD.

RADIOHEAD.RADIOHEAD.RADIOHEAD.RADIOHEAD.RADIOHEAD.RADIOHEAD.RADIOHEAD.RADIOHEAD.RADIOHEAD.RADIOHEAD. RADIOHEAD.RADIOHEAD.RADIOHEAD.RADIOHEAD.RADIOHEAD.RADIOHEAD.RADIOHEAD.RADIOHEAD.RADIOHEAD.RADIOHEAD. RADIOHEAD.RADIOHEAD.RADIOHEAD.RADIOHEAD.RADIOHEAD.RADIOHEAD.

St. Jimmy
05-07-2012, 07:02 PM
lol @ Number 1 though. I knew Spin was a shitrag, but seriously? That's even worse.

#1-norm-fan
05-07-2012, 07:13 PM
It's titled simply "Greatest Guitarists of All Time" and then in the first paragraph, he puts qualifiers on it...

Sounds legit.

Fignuts
05-07-2012, 11:02 PM
lollllllz.

That's exactly what I do when I listen to Cosby, yes.

Kane Knight
05-08-2012, 01:09 AM
It's titled simply "Greatest Guitarists of All Time" and then in the first paragraph, he puts qualifiers on it...

Sounds legit.
Totally legit.

Is Beethoven on the list? Because he didn't play guitar, but he totally wrote some killer riffs.

Kane Knight
05-08-2012, 01:09 AM
That's exactly what I do when I listen to Cosby, yes.

After jammin' to Pat Boone and watching the 700 club?

Buzzkill
05-08-2012, 12:07 PM
this is an outrage

Fignuts
05-08-2012, 10:28 PM
After jammin' to Pat Boone and watching the 700 club?

Given your...attempts at humor throughout your many years at tpww, I won't put too much stock into your jabs at my admiration of Bill Cosby's fine work, and my taste in stand up comedians in general.

Good day, sir.

Kane Knight
05-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Given your...attempts at humor throughout your many years at tpww, I won't put too much stock into your jabs at my admiration of Bill Cosby's fine work, and my taste in stand up comedians in general.

Good day, sir.

Given your...Appreciation of Bill Cosby as a top comedian, I won't mut too much stock in your jabs at my...Attempts at humour.

Fignuts
05-08-2012, 11:06 PM
I believe I said good day.

parkmania
05-16-2012, 05:06 PM
KK, I defy you to name 5 comedians that were funnier than Bill Cosby who were able to keep people laughing for 1 1/2 to 2 hours (the length of "Bill Cosby: Himself is 105 minutes) without resorting to potty humor or swear words.

Nicky Fives
05-20-2012, 07:46 PM

I think I recognized 8 names....