PDA

View Full Version : The beauty of the Johnny Jeter vs. Matt Cappotelli feud in OVW

Mr. Nerfect
05-14-2012, 12:14 AM
Does anyone else remember this? This was a golden time for OVW, as Paul Heyman was head of creative down in OVW -- which was the WWE's developmental territory at the time. Come to think of it, beyond CM Punk, Ken Anderson and The Miz, this time in OVW's history really didn't produce too many long-term stars, which was sort of its point, but oh well.

Johnny Jeter (perhaps better known for being "Johnny" in The Spirit Squad) and Matt Cappotelli (Tough Enough 3 Winner alongside John Morrison) would form a tag team called "The Thrillseekers." As a babyface team they would enjoy some success in OVW before Johnny Jeter earned an OVW Heavyweight Title shot in a tag team match where the man who scored the fall would receive a title shot.

Jeter would go on to win the OVW Heavyweight Championship from Brent Albright, but would shock the OVW audience when he turned on his best friend, Matt Cappotelli, who had suffered an injury at the time.

The new OVW Heavyweight Champion would embrace the dark side, and would do some pretty heinous things in recent weeks to ensure that he remained the top champion in OVW.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/UaQcxLP5G3s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jeter would become obsessed with his own success, to the point where he made enemies out of much of the OVW locker-room; long-time OVW announcer, Dean Hill; and even the owner of OVW himself, Danny Davis.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iUqzPICs_uo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This all led up to a 2/3 Falls Match with Matt Cappotelli, when the scorned ex-partner and best friend returned to active competition. I can't find a video of that match, but Jeter won the first fall using his usual heel tactics, but Cappotelli would take advantage of Jeter missing a top rope move to even things up. Cappotelli would defeat Jeter in the final fall when he caught Jeter coming off the top rope with a Spinning Heel Kick with his Superkick finisher for the pin.

It was quite the epic match for a developmental league to have, and what really impressed me in OVW was Jeter's heel work. I've made threads before about Jeter, and I do wish I know what happened to the guy, because he was absolutely amazing. Looking at the guy, I can't help but be reminded of Chris Jericho.

Curd
05-14-2012, 02:58 AM
Noid, you bring back some great OVW memories...or what constitutes my scatter-brained "memory." :roll: :y:

James Steele
05-14-2012, 03:28 AM
Did Capotelli ever recover from the brain tumor?

Mr. Nerfect
05-14-2012, 04:27 AM
It has been completely removed. I've heard no word on if he ever plans to return to wrestling, however. His WWE contract only ran out in 2009.

Innovator
05-14-2012, 09:38 AM
He was on Colt's podcast a couple months ago, I think he's done with wrestling. His outlook on life is amazing though.

This program had one of my favorite moments, where both guys entered the ring for their match, but there was a wall of referees/officials in between them. The officials left the ring one by one until there was one ref in the middle. Just a great way to build how much these guys hated each other.

Hanso Amore
05-14-2012, 11:46 AM
He was on Colt's podcast a couple months ago, I think he's done with wrestling. His outlook on life is amazing though.

This program had one of my favorite moments, where both guys entered the ring for their match, but there was a wall of referees/officials in between them. The officials left the ring one by one until there was one ref in the middle. Just a great way to build how much these guys hated each other.

Thats a pretty decent little spot.

Mr. Nerfect
05-16-2012, 07:18 AM
OVW was full of them at the time. Heyman was doing really great work down there. CM Punk, Ken Doane and Brent Albright had a really cool little program, as well. Punk helped Doane defeat Albright with the OVW Television Championship on the line and Albright was understandably pissed. He went after Punk, and they worked their in-ring magic, and I remember one awesome promo from Punk justifying a submission loss to Albright:

"Yeah, I tapped out to Brent Albright's Crowbar submission. He had my arm -- it's my arm, and I didn't want him to have it."

Not verbatim, but that was essentially it. Punk basically lost via clean submission, but somehow looked good while also putting over how lethal Albright and his submission wrestling was.