PDA

View Full Version : WWE tag team division (does anyone care?)

Rollermacka
05-21-2012, 02:16 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/SpI19fu3bHw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It seems that the WWE is including more tag teams onto the roster. This may finally be the resurgence of tag team wrestling that many of us have wanted... but is it too late?

Benny Lava
05-21-2012, 02:17 PM
I love The Usos.

Gertner
05-21-2012, 02:20 PM
The Usos beat ZigSwag on Superstars this past week.

Anybody Thrilla
05-21-2012, 02:21 PM
I like most of the teams they have now. They just need to be put into storylines that mean anything other than "I WANT TO BE TAG TEAM CHAMPION!!!!" and they'll be fine. Does anyone care right now? No. But that's because there's no reason to.

I do like the potential of the AW thing with Primo and Epico. I'm at least interested in what they're going to do next.

Gertner
05-21-2012, 02:24 PM
It'd be nice, but nothing that'd make me watch or not watch.,

Ermaximus
05-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Gertner lies. He can't wait to see Punk and Danielson win the tag team titles. :shifty:

Gertner
05-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Instead of wrestling, they can cut promos and wait for their opponents to fall asleep and then pin them.

Emperor Smeat
05-21-2012, 04:37 PM
Yes since it provides more variety and lets more people be on tv.

The Air Boom vs Awesome Truth feud was a perfect way to restart the division until Bourne decided on being a dumbass.

There are some good teams available but the WWE hasn't done a great job overall making people want to care about them or seen as just "filler" for a show. The Attitude Era tag teams were special because the WWE built up the teams really well and the crowd found reasons to care about those teams.

DrCrawford
05-21-2012, 07:04 PM
im not interested in the tag division atm. i have no interest in watching boring stereotypical minorities being a team.

Immortal Moose
05-21-2012, 07:35 PM
I'd like them to build up a solid tag team division but I think I've gotten used to WWE's tag division being in this state unfortunately. So I'm somewhere between meh and yes, but I picked yes.

KaosDarksol
05-22-2012, 03:41 AM
Seems like they are working on it they just need to give the tag teams some more build up and put some more actual tag matches on raw

Benny Lava
05-22-2012, 07:38 AM
http://catch-americain.wifeo.com/images/d/dre/drew-mcintyre-cody-rhodes.jpg

The belts look like giant elongated coins made by putting them on railroad tracks.

whiteyford
05-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Pretty much what Thrilla said, no point in rebuilding a division if there are no feuds/angles given proper TV time to get teams over, no excuse once the 3 hour Raws start though.

St. Jimmy
05-22-2012, 05:28 PM
No. No. NO.

Noid
05-23-2012, 11:54 PM
I care, but it's clear that the WWE is still not entirely sure how to go about building a division.

K.Smoke
05-25-2012, 08:17 AM
I think the help has come in the way of an hour added to Raw. This will give them not only a chance to display more talent, but it will also give them a chance to make the titles important. WWE and WHC already hold some prestige despite Cena getting the mainevent without it on way too many occaisions. IC US and Tag should get some real air play here.

Keith
05-25-2012, 08:20 AM
I care, but it's clear that the WWE is still not entirely sure how to go about building a division.

This. I care about tag team wrestling.

However, I can't get into the current tag team landscape because it's not being done correctly.

Gertner
05-25-2012, 06:24 PM
Here's how I feel about it

I like tag team wrestling, it's not essential to having a good show, but it's nice to have. It doesn't draw fans, but it's a nice complimentary piece.

K.Smoke
05-25-2012, 06:45 PM

I like tag team wrestling, it's not essential to having a good show, but it's nice to have. It doesn't draw fans, but it's a nice complimentary piece.

This is because of the disrespect of the tag titles. Not only that but the US and Intercontinental titles are receiving the same disrespect. We use to have real tag teams. Primo and whats his face was a ok tag team and a battle with them and the Usos would go over much better for the division then R-Truth and Kofi who everyone knows wont last as a tag team. I wonder whose stupid idea it was to tag them up. I am sooooo glad Kofi doesn't act like he sees little jimmy.

St. Jimmy
05-25-2012, 06:51 PM
The 15 people who voted yeah are TNA fans.

Noid
05-27-2012, 03:35 AM

I agree with you, Gertner.

Tag team wrestling, in my opinion, does serve a great purpose to shows and talent development, though:

* A tag team match can get the crowd pumped, and in my opinion, makes for a damn fine in-ring opener on PPV. Properly pushed tag teams may not generate huge amounts of cash these days, but they can be over and help the rest of the show out with setting a good tone.

* Wrestlers who don't have properly developed personalities, aren't going to draw a dime or need a bit of covering up in the ring are perfectly suited to tag teams. On one hand, a guy like Tyson Kidd is perfect for tag team wrestling, because he can't promo to save his life (despite being a god in the ring), while a guy like Jinder Mahal has got presence, but doesn't know what to do with it just yet -- also making him an ideal tag team worker at this stage of his young career.

Tag team wrestling is basically a low-pressure situation to help guys along in their developmental process, and to fill time on shows and get crowds excited. And there have been tag teams that have made money before, mainly through merchandise sales. To get them to that stage, though, you need to dedicate at least some time and energy into marketing them. Air Boom seemed like they could have been those guys eventually, but Evan Bourne fucked it up. I'm glad Kofi Kingston is getting the opportunity to keep up the slack, though. Kofi's got all the tools to be a major player eventually, but being in the tag division right now is the best thing for him, in my opinion, since the main event scene is pretty fucking full.

Noid
05-27-2012, 03:47 AM
ROH and TNA have crappy tag divisions themselves at the moment. They seem to get theirs repaired much more quickly, however. Daniels & Kazarian seem to be settling into a proper tag team role, however, and I don't mind that, since both are super-talented but there's no real room for them anywhere else. I do think that they dethroned Joe & Magnus too quickly, but whatever. It kind of makes sense, since the history between Daniels & Kazarian goes back further than that of Joe & Magnus. I hope we haven't seen the last of that team, however.

What TNA is missing right now, though, is that real tag team. Two guys who have a genuine reason to want to be partners, have a tag team name and can work together. If I were TNA, I'd try and coax Paul Birchill in and put him in a team with Doug Williams as a new British Invasion. If only they could get Homicide back to team with Hernandez, as well. The LAX and British Invasion would strengthen any division right now.

ROH have got some teams, but they just seem to play hot-potato with the belts. Wrestling's Greatest Tag Team and The Briscoes have had a great rivalry, but it seems it's coming to the end and a new chapter needs to be written. Since they have absolutely no personalities whatsoever, I think The American Wolves and Future Shock should be put back together into proper teams.

Kevin Steen & Jimmy Jacobs would also make a pretty decent ROH team, given that they are currently aligned; but Steen is currently charged with carrying the World Championship of the company. If he dropped it, though, I would be behind him heading into the tag division with Jacobs. Given their violence history with both men, a rebuttle team of BJ Whitmer & El Generico would also be really cool.

As for who would then carry ROH's singles division? Well, the list of guys who have it all in ROH is pretty short. Personally, I think their best bet could actually be a pushed Kenny King. That would mean taking him and Rhett Titus out of the tag team division, but Titus is also a guy with ring skills and personality. What they could do is something similar to the rise of Johnny Jeter and Matt Cappotelli in OVW -- have one win the ROH World Title, and then kick the other to the curb, claiming that now they were out for themselves. It's simple, cliched, but it would work, and set up the other guy to take the ROH World Title in a properly built feud.

thewholefnshow
05-27-2012, 10:56 PM
I think they should do away with the tag titles for the time being and reintroduced the TV title.

Damndirty
05-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Well, they had a good main-eventing tag team in Miz and Truth, and for no reason, broke them up. Show and Khali would've been unbeatable! Epico and Primo have good in-ring skills, but have no part in promos. Ryback should'nt even have a partner but go after the tag titles anyways.

SlickyTrickyDamon
05-27-2012, 11:12 PM
http://catch-americain.wifeo.com/images/d/dre/drew-mcintyre-cody-rhodes.jpg

The belts look like giant elongated coins made by putting them on railroad tracks.

They look pretty good on those two.

Damndirty
05-27-2012, 11:37 PM
When was that?

SlickyTrickyDamon
05-28-2012, 12:24 AM
September 19-October 24 2010.

CSL
05-28-2012, 12:35 AM
Well, they had a good main-eventing tag team in Miz and Truth, and for no reason, broke them up.

outside of the whole Truth "failing a drug test and getting suspended" bit

Damndirty
05-28-2012, 12:46 AM
They still shouldn't have broke them up, they should've had a couple of Miz solo appearances until it was up. WWE has no idea how to "successfully" adapt after a setback.

Tom Guycott
05-28-2012, 02:05 AM
...unless they can move merch to screaming fangirls like JNH. Then it's one public apology, and water under the bridge.

dingdongyo
05-28-2012, 10:33 AM
bring back demolition and i'll care.

Damndirty
05-28-2012, 03:38 PM
I suspected they were using deneuralizer flashes in subliminal ads that flash once in a while during a live broadcast, but I think it only worked on the creative writers.

XL
05-28-2012, 06:23 PM
I care about interesting characters and storylines regardless of whether they are for singles competitors or not.

I could draw up a Tag Division of 10 teams right now but to get people legitimately interested in the division they would need to give those teams a reason to be together beyond wanting the belts for 5 minutes. They need to create competition between the teams or issues for them to fued over when they aren't chasing the titles. The teams need identities and promo time to establish them.

Point is case, Damien Sandow is 1000x more interesting to an audience that Primo or Epico because he has a defined identity. They need to achieve that wih everybody they have.

Relaunched Tag Division

R-Boom
Epico/Primo
Hunico/Camacho
Young/O'Neil
The Usos
Hawkins/Reks
McIntyre/Ryan
Swagger/Riley
DiBiase/McGillicutty
Curtis/Bateman

So many guys on that list that are doing pretty much nothing/slumming it on NXT and with the new series coming up they'll need something to do, plus with another hour of Raw to be filled there's no reason a division that big couldn't get ample time.

Gertner
05-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Khali and Jackson have been tagging as of late on NXT and winning.,

owenbrown
05-28-2012, 06:33 PM
WAITAMINUTE....THERE ARE TAG TEAMS?! AND A TAG TEAM DIVISION?! :?:

Damndirty
05-28-2012, 08:56 PM
I don't know....

Pintint
05-28-2012, 10:31 PM
I love tag wrestling, so yes, I definetely care. The tag division to me has always been second to the world

Damndirty
05-28-2012, 11:33 PM
Khali and Jackson have been tagging as of late on NXT and winning.,

I think Zeke and Ryan need to tag up, since they're about the same size. I did like Jackson & Kozlov too, but that's extinct.

Shisen Kopf
05-28-2012, 11:59 PM
I would like to change my vote. Who do I petition to get this done?