PDA

View Full Version : Westerns

Buzzkill
06-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Anybody else here a big fan? Might be my favorite genre from a "filmmaking" standpoint...I pretty much love any good western or any movie with traits of a Westerm (Spaghetti Westerns "especially")

My favorites (more or less in order)

Once Upon a Time in the West (Sergio Leone)
The Wild Bunch (Sam Peckinpah)
The Searchers (John Ford)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (John Ford)
Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood)
The Good The Bad and the Ugly (Serio Leone)
The Proposition (John Hillcoat)

Sergio Leone + Ennio Morricone = best

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sXldafIl5DQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sXldafIl5DQ?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="739.2" height="415" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Post ur favs!

CSL
06-20-2012, 05:44 PM
not a fan of ye olden western, very much enjoyed the remakes of True Grit and 3:10 To Yuma tho, have Jesse James on DVD but still haven't watched it, Unforgiven is great also. Still need to watch Tombstone, might watch it tonight actually

Requiem
06-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Have seen a lot of OLD westerns with John Wayne and the like, due to my dad being a huge fan of westerns when I was growing up. Not really a fan of most of them though.

Once Upon A Time In The West is INCREDIBLE. Just watched it again last week actually. Just absolutely love the tension and the build-up. Honestly haven't seen all of the Eastwood westerns. Don't even remember which one it is that I HAVE seen.

True Grit, 3:10 to Yuma (remake), TAOJJBTCRF (jesse james), and Tombstone, are all pretty fantastic.

I do like 'comedy' westerns too. Support Your Local Sheriff/Gunfighter are both great though it's been years since I've seen them.

Lonesome Dove is really good too.

Westerns are a genre that haven't gotten enough attention in modern cinema. Film makers could really do something fantastic with the budgets and tech that's out now.

Jura
06-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Was looking at revolvers a few weeks back and it made me want to watch 3:10 to Yuma again and then that made me want to watch more Western-themed movies. I don't think I've seen many. There's that one with Leonardo DiCaprio and Sharon Stone I think.

ClockShot
06-20-2012, 09:25 PM
The Searchers is my favorite movie of all time.

Malfeitor
06-20-2012, 09:40 PM
not a fan of ye olden western, very much enjoyed the remakes of True Grit and 3:10 To Yuma tho, have Jesse James on DVD but still haven't watched it, Unforgiven is great also. Still need to watch Tombstone, might watch it tonight actually

Val Kilmer as Doc Holliday is too rad. You'll dig it.

YOUR Hero
06-20-2012, 09:53 PM
the outlaw josey wales

Nicky Fives
06-20-2012, 09:54 PM
do Shanghai Noon & Shanghai Knights count? Because those are the closest I've ever come to watching a Western.....

Jura
06-20-2012, 09:57 PM
You've probably seen Wild Wild West with Will Smith.

mitch_h
06-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Huge fan of Westerns, some stuff not mentioned that I would recommend

Stagecoach

McCabe and Mrs Miller is probably my favourite, although it's more revisionist and doesn't play like your typical western.

The Ox Bow Incident - Kinda like a western version of 12 Angry Men upto and including Henry Fonda

Some good and dark Anthony Mann westerns with Jimmy Stewart (Winchester 73, The Naked Spur)

High Noon
High Plains Drifter - Slightly surreal, underrated Clint Eastwood western.
I don't know if the Treasure of the Sierra Madre counts, but a must watch for sure.

DLVH84
06-20-2012, 11:08 PM
I grew up watching old Westerns, as my mother is a huge John Wayne fan, especially the Western ones.

The ones that really stood out for me for Westerns were...

McLintock!
True Grit (the original)
Chisum
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
Unforgiven
Tombstone
The Quick and The Dead

Seth82
06-20-2012, 11:40 PM
I liked the original True Grit

El Vaquero de Infierno
06-21-2012, 06:49 AM
You can't lose with a John Wayne western, or those with James Stewart and Richard Widmark.

YOUR Hero
06-21-2012, 10:18 AM
I could watch westerns all day every day.

Ever see 'My name is Nobody' ?

Emperor Smeat
06-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Westerns are one of the few genres I don't like as much as others but as favorites I like the classic Clint Eastwood films and True Grit as a more recent film.