PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Superhero and Villain

Emperor Smeat
07-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Who would you consider as your favorite superhero and villain?

It doesn't have to be limited to just comic books for choices and can include tv cartoons, shows, and films.

Lock Jaw
07-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Superman and Lex Luthor.

whiteyford
07-26-2012, 04:33 PM
Gambit & Magneto.

VSG
07-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Batman & Joker

Rammsteinmad
07-26-2012, 04:39 PM
Spider-Man.

No idea about villain.

Corporate CockSnogger
07-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Define superhero

whiteyford
07-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Are you trying to use Billy Gunn, Buffy or Desmond?

Corporate CockSnogger
07-26-2012, 04:56 PM
...maybe :(

whiteyford
07-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Buffy qualifies obviously....the other two are debatable.

Corporate CockSnogger
07-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Yeah Billy gets a definite no. But Desmond has powers, they're just not really all that useful if he came up against any old regular villain. He kinda needs the situation to be right for him to have any use.

Damian Rey
07-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Batman and Joker

Corporate CockSnogger
07-26-2012, 05:00 PM
Also where does Jack Bauer stand?

whiteyford
07-26-2012, 05:03 PM
Probably drunk...

Corporate CockSnogger
07-26-2012, 05:04 PM
Oh fuck, villain: Randall Flagg

Or maybe Arnie in Terminator

Emperor Smeat
07-26-2012, 05:30 PM
Also where does Jack Bauer stand?

Originally was just going to have favorite superhero or hero but then realized a lot of great heroes also have great villains. As long as the hero has a long term villain, I'd allow them being listed.

Bauer and almost every regular guy hero really don't have that main mega villain or long term villain like superheros have.

The Punisher is just a normal guy but he has his main villain and some of the bad guys he faces are pretty messed up so he would count.

El Fangel
07-26-2012, 06:39 PM
Wolverine and The Joker

Requiem
07-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Nolan's movies and the Arkham video game series gave me a new appreciation for Batman. So, Batman.

Favorite villain... Magneto. He's just fucking cool.

loopydate
07-26-2012, 06:58 PM
The Tick and The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight.

Fignuts
07-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Favorite villain is easily Thanos. He's like Darkseid but with a unique personality, the dryest wit in the universe, and rather interesting character flaws.

Hero, is a little tougher. Thor has always been my favorite book, but that has more to do with the mythology surrounding the character and Jack Kirby's creative "futuristic viking" artwork. The character of Thor himself is rather one dimensional.

I'd probably have to say Spider-Man.

weather vane
07-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Lobo and Riddler

Skippord
07-26-2012, 07:21 PM
Batman and Mr. Sinister

DLVH84
07-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Good Guy: Chiun from Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins
Bad Guy: Tatsu from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles I and II

Malfeitor
07-26-2012, 10:03 PM
Batman has been my favorite ever since I was a kid. Even in some baby pictures I'm rocking Batman merch.

As for my favorite villain... I will have to take some time and think about that one.

DaveBrawl
07-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Hero: Batman
Villain: I want to say Magneto, but the more I think about it I enjoy Magneto more in the anti-hero role than in the villain role. So I'd probably go with Dr. Doom or the Joker. Guys like Scarecrow, Clayface, Bane and even Man-Bat really interest me but they don't have the history of great stories behind them to compete with Doom or Joker.

dronepool
07-26-2012, 10:18 PM
I'd probably say Batman for longevity. I love Spider-Man, Wolverine, Deadpool.. but Batman outshines them a bit and Deadpool isn't a 'superhero'.

Dr. Doom or The Joker.

Kalyx triaD
07-27-2012, 12:00 AM
Heroes:

Spider-Man (6-19): I loved the fact that he climbed on walls. As I got older he was a confidence booster in that he was a skinny superhero. I dug his humor and overall sci-fi stories/cartoons.

Superman (19-28): At that time in my life I really took to what Superman stood for, especially since I got more knowledgeable about the world. It needed something like Superman. I loved how this fictional character's symbol induced very real reactions from people.

Thor (Current): In my earlier years I gouged on fantasy movies and cartoons. Dungeons and dragons and little people named Willow. Growing up I developed this sense of speak and posture that a lot of people likened to some ridiculous medieval person in modern time. Combine that with the nobility I try to live by as per my Superman inspiration and... Well one of my friends asked me why on Earth was Thor not my favorite superhero. After a while I just succumb to the obvious.

When 'she' first saw the movie she said Thor was basically me as a white guy with actual powers, right down to our stubborn pride and apparent love for Pop-Tarts. She got me Mjolnir for Christmas, that I proudly show off in my sig.

As you can see I have phases heroes depending on my outlook at the time. Thor may be the one to stick but you never know.

Villain:

Resident Evil's Wesker. Easily.

Tom Guycott
07-27-2012, 12:17 AM
The Tick and The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight.

YEAH, BABY, YEAH!!!

I would have to say, in all of Sci-Fi and fantasy (tough choices, but):

Hero: Wolverine. He was a badass before badass was the cool thing to do, and well before it became the archetype that every hero now has to be an antihero. He has decent powers, actual personality, storied past, AND he was in Alpha Flight! (Alpha Flight is mainly what got me onto comics... even more than X-Men initially. Hell, I only intentionally grabbed an X-Men because Wolvie was in it.). He could dish out and take the through-the-wall action sequences of Marvel comics and come out healed up and smoking a cigar on the other side, but all his resolve atop his mental damage made him interesting to follow.

Villian: Darth Vader. Of the "New Hope" variety. Even still, very few things can compare to how my young mind reacted to the black cloaked, James Earl Jones voiced cyborg stepping out of the fog of battle to an ominous trumpet fanfare, chastise his new prisoner before ordering her to be taken away, and then telepathically choke one of his own damn co-workers (not subordinate, mind you... at this point, Vader was presented more as an attack dog than a second-in-command) sadistically. Very definition of a Big Bad. Before all the sequels and prequels and expanded universes etc., he instantly gave off the vibe of "don't fuck with me" in the (real) first movie.

Shisen Kopf
07-27-2012, 12:39 AM
Hero: Banana Man

Villain: Shylock, Merchant of Venice

loopydate
07-27-2012, 01:03 AM
YEAH, BABY, YEAH!!!

So he says to me he says "You wanna be my favorite villain?" and I says "No, baby! I wanna be your LEAST favorite villain, cause I'm so bad I'm your favorite, yeah!"

Fignuts
07-27-2012, 01:52 AM
Heroes:

Spider-Man (6-19): I loved the fact that he climbed on walls. As I got older he was a confidence booster in that he was a skinny superhero. I dug his humor and overall sci-fi stories/cartoons.

Superman (19-28): At that time in my life I really took to what Superman stood for, especially since I got more knowledgeable about the world. It needed something like Superman. I loved how this fictional character's symbol induced very real reactions from people.

Thor (Current): In my earlier years I gouged on fantasy movies and cartoons. Dungeons and dragons and little people named Willow. Growing up I developed this sense of speak and posture that a lot of people likened to some ridiculous medieval person in modern time. Combine that with the nobility I try to live by as per my Superman inspiration and... Well one of my friends asked me why on Earth was Thor not my favorite superhero. After a while I just succumb to the obvious.

When 'she' first saw the movie she said Thor was basically me as a white guy with actual powers, right down to our stubborn pride and apparent love for Pop-Tarts. She got me Mjolnir for Christmas, that I proudly show off in my sig.

As you can see I have phases heroes depending on my outlook at the time. Thor may be the one to stick but you never know.

Villain:

Resident Evil's Wesker. Easily.

When I found out you where into Thor, I felt like that was an unspoken bonding moment as internet buddies. Even if I think Thor himself is a bit boring, and find his supporting cast a much more interesting read.

That said, no one can pull off badass moments in comics better than Thor. I've been reading Comics since 1985, and although I know I should appreciate Spider-Man lifting that wreckage he's buried under, or the sacrifice of Jean Grey more, my favorite comic book moment is undoubtedly Thor bitch smacking Iron Man after Civil War.

Kalyx triaD
07-27-2012, 03:49 AM
"One of us is a god and the other is a man in a metal suit."

Sometimes you gotta tell it like it is. And he did just that.

Blitz
07-27-2012, 03:52 AM
Tie between Deadpool and Batman for hero. I love Deadpool's irreverence and general character/style, but I've just read significantly more Bats.

Villain can only be Bane. No one else comes close.

LoDownM
07-27-2012, 03:56 AM
Hero: Spider Man
Villain: Venom

Nowhere Man
07-27-2012, 04:15 AM
Favorite Hero:

Spider-Man.

As much as I like Iron Man and Thor, as much as I will heap praises on Hellboy and Invincible, as much as I absolutely worship Superman and Batman, I genuinely love Spider-Man. To me, he's everything that's great about superhero stories-- the amazing, spectacular action and over-the-top theatrics of the genre, but with a deeply identifiable and lovable character. He's got the crazy pseudo-sci-fi stuff like Superman or Flash, but can also fight gritty street crime like Batman. He's got the second-best rogue's gallery and the best supporting characters in the entire genre.

And while he's not perfect or always spewing moral lectures like the typical 'boy scout' heroes, he's also not wearing his flaws as an excuse to act like an asshole like your even more typical anti-heroes. So he's not perfect, but at least he's trying, which is at his core what makes him the perfect superhero in my book.

Favorite Villain:

Lex Luthor.

Sure, the Joker's cooler and more immediately 'villainous,' but he's really only effective in Gotham City. If you put him in Metropolis or Central City or Marvel's New York, he'd be screwed. Lex Luthor, on the other hand, is a villain that would work as a villain for absolutely anyone: the smartest person on the planet, with nearly unlimited wealth, a vast corporate empire, and ambition that wouldn't even stop at attaining godhood.

Plus, his entire personality, the way he is set up, acts as an engine for larger stories rather than just a quick fight scene. Even with his battle-suit, Lex knows he can't hang with Superman in a straight-up fight, so instead every encounter with Luthor involves a huge master plan in order to subvert or undermine Superman's powers on top of taking over the world.

(On a side note, it bugs me to no end when people go on about how Batman could kick Superman's ass because he's super-smart and super-rich, but then scoff at Lex Luthor as Supes' main nemesis. Despite the fact that Luthor is smarter and richer than Batman-- not to mention more ambitious, more ruthless, has zero problems with killing people, and actively hates Superman and would stop at nothing to see him dead.)

This scene right here from Justice League Unlimited basically sums up everything I love about Luthor (not the least of which is Clancy Brown's awesomely evil voice):

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9iizKYUNY3I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kalyx triaD
07-27-2012, 08:48 AM
And now I need to watch JLU all over again.

Krimzon7
07-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Hero?

Iron Man
Bat Man

Villian?
Vandal Savage
Apocalypse

Triple Naitch
07-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Hero: Batman, Spiderman, Thor
Villain: Magneto, Joker

Emperor Smeat
07-27-2012, 04:00 PM
Heroes - Batman, The Punisher
Villain - The Joker

Swiss Ultimate
07-27-2012, 04:18 PM
Favorite Superhero: As a kid I was obsessed with Superman. I didn't have that much access to comics though so it was with the black-and-white TV series and the original movies. As over-powered as he was, I liked the idea of a walking/flying God just doling out justice wherever he went.

Now I'd have to say I don't really have a favorite. I liked certain incarnations of Ironman, Thor, Batman and to a lesser extent Wolverine, Hulk and oddly enough Multiple Man and those feelings haven't really changed.

Favorite super-villain: The Joker. Honorable mentions: Magneto and Juggernaught

Schlomey
07-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Superhero: Captain America

Villain: Galactus/Darth Vader