PDA

View Full Version : THE Doctor Who Thread

Pages : [1] 2

El Vaquero de Infierno
08-02-2012, 11:14 AM
So the first trailer for the upcoming series this autumn has been released. There appears to be alot of Daleks.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qrEUBl2pacU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I read somewhere that Ben Browder (John Crichton from Farscape) appears in one of the episodes, which should be good.

The Mackem
08-02-2012, 03:23 PM
'Dinosaurs...on a space ship' seems to sum up how bizarrely awesome it looks.

El Fangel
08-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Argus Filch

Nowhere Man
08-03-2012, 11:50 AM
I'm down for this.

El Fangel
08-03-2012, 01:30 PM
Was reading somewhere that a suggestion has been made to the creators to remake the older episodes that are missing. Interested to see how that pans out.

The Destroyer
08-03-2012, 02:40 PM
Ben Browder is in the Western episode, "A Town Called Mercy".

The Destroyer
08-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Was reading somewhere that a suggestion has been made to the creators to remake the older episodes that are missing. Interested to see how that pans out.
Pretty stupid suggestion. Old episodes wouldn't work in the modern format.

El Vaquero de Infierno
08-27-2012, 03:05 PM
New series starts on Saturday, with the Daleks in the first episode by the looks of it.

The Destroyer
08-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Lots and lots and lots and lots of Daleks.

YOUR Hero
08-27-2012, 11:55 PM
great show, I hope the time slot is condusive to me seeing it

El Fangel
08-28-2012, 12:04 AM
I saw, I came.

El Fangel
08-28-2012, 12:31 AM
Was just thinking how long ago I watched "Rose" seems like ages have passed since then. I really need to rewatch the series after this season is done.

El Vaquero de Infierno
09-01-2012, 03:35 PM
The new chick is ridiculously cute. I look forward to seeing her later in the series.

The first episode was a decent start to the season. I don't usually care for Dalek episodes, but they changed the dynamic which made it more interesting.

Next Big Thing
09-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Definitely liking the new companion. If I can't get a redhead, I'll take a brunette with dimples.

El Vaquero de Infierno
09-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Seriously...

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/Jenna-Louise%20Coleman%20pic1.JPG

El Fangel
09-02-2012, 06:22 PM
So, I wake up my computer from sleep to download the new episode so my wife and I can watch it.

This scared the shit out of me.

http://i.imgur.com/0rQ7U.jpg

http://imgur.com/0rQ7U

CSL
09-02-2012, 06:37 PM
show is still camper than a row of tents

El Fangel
09-02-2012, 08:00 PM
And that matters how?

CSL
09-02-2012, 08:09 PM
now now sweetheart, it's okay, you're still allowed to watch it

El Fangel
09-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Don't even start with me, Chandler.

CSL
09-02-2012, 08:17 PM
calmmmm downnnnn, CONTROL THE ANGER BUNNIES

El Fangel
09-02-2012, 08:22 PM
You are making me upset.

Kane Knight
09-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Gay slapfight aside, looking forward to this.

El Fangel
09-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Oh dear jesus, I love this show.

Want to point out it was 11 months between episodes to the day ;)

YOUR Hero
09-02-2012, 10:08 PM
I'd take this show over almost any

El Fangel
09-02-2012, 10:15 PM
What was it like watching "An Unearthly Child"?

Next Big Thing
09-05-2012, 08:32 AM
http://www.g33kpron.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Angels-take-Manhattan-617x350.jpg

I expect this episode to be epic. Sucks there's only five shows before it goes on hiatus again.

El Fangel
09-05-2012, 08:48 AM
Man, this Saturday there will be fucking dinosaurs on a spaceship.

Gray
09-05-2012, 03:31 PM
Bit confused over the new girl.

Will she actually be the new companion, or was that a swerve to make people think she was going to be??

I can't see her coming back now (Gutted)

The Destroyer
09-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Nah, she is going to be. Whether it's as the same character though, who knows.

XCaliber
09-05-2012, 04:29 PM
Unless what occurs to her is a fixed moment in time I can't see why they couldn't even though I saw it coming it was a brutal way to go even in The Doctor's eyes.

El Vaquero de Infierno
09-10-2012, 07:59 AM
Finally saw the latest epi; it was an improvement on the first episode of the season.

Next Big Thing
09-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Didn't care for it. I think I like RTD's filler episodes between major story arcs more than Moffatt's. They did some blatant foreshadowing to Amy and Rory's "heartbreaking ending" as Moffatt put it.

XCaliber
09-10-2012, 11:55 AM
The last episode was a fun romp but yeah it didn't serve much of a purpose in the main story arc in any way the next episode has a Borg in the wild west sounds looks like a total snoozefest if you ask me.

Next Big Thing
09-16-2012, 10:20 PM
Didn't mind this episode. Really thought the town doctor would reveal himself to be the Master or something.

XCaliber
09-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Mkay so that was better than I expected the next one looks rather low budget so hopefully we get a lot of character development from Rory and Amy.

Next Big Thing
09-17-2012, 06:18 AM
I feel like there has to be since there are only two episodes left before the show goes on hiatus again.

KIRA
09-18-2012, 06:48 PM
http://www.g33kpron.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Angels-take-Manhattan-617x350.jpg

I expect this episode to be epic. Sucks there's only five shows before it goes on hiatus again.

And with this image I now need a cigarette.

and a surgeon to remove the smile from my face

XCaliber
09-26-2012, 12:49 PM
The Power of Three ended up being a great episode afterall i'd say it's my fave since this series pilot somehow I'm not all that hyped for TATM.

mitchables
09-28-2012, 02:57 AM
I am not emotionally prepared to say goodbye to the Ponds.

The Destroyer
09-28-2012, 03:36 AM
Well you'd better get ready, not long now. :(

Next Big Thing
09-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Can't wait. I'm expecting some kind of ending that isn't happily ever after, but at the same time not completely depressing.

The Destroyer
09-29-2012, 03:13 PM
Well that was awfully sad.

El Vaquero de Infierno
09-29-2012, 03:20 PM
Where am I going to get my ginger-scottish lass fix now?

But, I thought the episode was the strongest of the season and good way to end this chapter of the saga. At least we see more of River, which means I will continue to get my ginger-older woman fix.

Next Big Thing
09-30-2012, 09:35 AM
Definitely a quality episode. It's got to suck a little to be the actress that has to follow Karen Gillan. I feel like no matter how good she is, she'll never be Amy. Same way I thought Martha Jones was better than Rose, but she never gets the props she deserves.

El Vaquero de Infierno
09-30-2012, 09:40 AM
I dunno, from what we saw of the character in the first episode, I think she will hold her own.

XCaliber
09-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Would have been satisfied with the fake out ending and have Amy declare that she was just done with her adventures with him that would have been satisfying enough. They pretty much wrote her and Rory out in a way that having them pop up in a future episodes almost impossible which sucks. She definetly turned out to be one of the better companions I hope the next gal isn't a rebound like Martha Jones was to Rose Tyler and it from the preview it appears that she is playing another character altogether.

loopydate
10-01-2012, 11:58 AM
So... no one was looking at the Statue of Liberty?

The Destroyer
10-01-2012, 01:26 PM
Maybe everyone in the city was asleep. :shifty:

Next Big Thing
10-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Didn't they say during the show that the building or surrounding area was some kind of special vortex created by the angels or something like that?

Dark-Slicer Diago
10-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Seriously...

http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/Jenna-Louise%20Coleman%20pic1.JPG

http://cdn03.cdn.egotastic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/28/jenna-louise-coleman-topless-in-bbc-room-on-top.jpg

KIRA
10-02-2012, 08:41 PM
I am not emotionally prepared to say goodbye to the Ponds.

:'(:wavesad::heart:

I really thought this would drive the Doctor to avoid companions for a while(I still think it might have were it not for Amys final message and Rivers encouragement.)

El Vaquero de Infierno
12-25-2012, 02:27 PM
I can't say I particularly cared for the Xmas episode. It was more about setting up the new companion than the story, which came off more as an afterthought.

Saying that, I am still in awe at how ridiculously cute the new companion is.

When does the second half of the season begin?

The Destroyer
12-25-2012, 02:32 PM
I liked it. Best Matt Christmas special yet.

Think it's back in April.

Next Big Thing
12-25-2012, 05:05 PM
I didn't care much for the story. I really liked the dynamic between the companion and the Doctor though and can't wait to find out more about her character. Good set up for next season at the end.

XL
12-29-2012, 05:12 PM
What are we thinking about Clara? Some kind of projection from the Doctor's subconscious? Seems a little too convenient to have a sidekick that has come back from the dead not once, but twice. Especially after just losing Amy and Rory.

And she appears in an episode where a material (the snow/ice) creates form based on memory and people thinking about whatever it is that it's creating...

Next Big Thing
12-29-2012, 05:44 PM
At the end of the episode they showed Clara in presumably present day with a friend visiting her own grave independent of the Doctor. That makes me think she'd be more than just a projection from his subconscious.

I'd be kind of pissed if they went with some story where the Doctor's imagination created someone who could never die so he'd never have to worry about losing a companion or something like that.

Her origin story alone makes this upcoming season pretty exciting though. Can't wait for it.

XCaliber
12-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Personally I thought this Christmas episode was great and it probably had mainly to do with that my wanting the companion to be the same person and not be someone else. Really curious to see the explination of her dual existance I just hope it's not some kind of grand scheme by the Daleks to screw with The Doctor's mind. Not feeling the new Tardis sure it's a homage to old school but it's bland compared to the previous set but I must admit I like the retro intro for the show.

Next Big Thing
03-25-2013, 04:16 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2IROtC6cAT4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

XL
04-28-2013, 04:40 PM
Is nobody watching this? Or is it not on in the US yet?

Next Big Thing
04-28-2013, 04:47 PM
It's on my DVR. Haven't watched yet and have been avoiding this thread due to fear of spoilers.

El Vaquero de Infierno
04-28-2013, 05:02 PM
I have enjoyed the new episodes, though I don't know if my judgement is being warped by how ridiculously attractive the new companion is.

Kane Knight
04-28-2013, 05:22 PM
I have enjoyed the new episodes, though I don't know if my judgement is being warped by how ridiculously attractive the new companion is.

Don't have cable, so I can't watch until it hits Netflix. Or I torrent it, but the torrents tend to be shite.

Everyone I know who has watched it is bitching about it, though.

I'm witholding judgment until I can see it for myself, but that always leaves me a little worried.

VSG
04-28-2013, 05:51 PM
Honestly this whole season has been very disappointing to me personally.

XL
04-28-2013, 05:55 PM
I'm struggling to feel "engaged" so far. Not sure why though.

KK, couldn't you stream it somewhere?

VSG
04-28-2013, 05:58 PM
I should rephrase- Everything from the Christmas episode since has been astonishingly lack-luster for a Doctor Who series.

loopydate
04-28-2013, 08:15 PM
Last week's was good, but the rest of the season has been kinda meh. This week especially was pretty dull. I feel like I should care about the ongoing Clara/TARDIS feud, but I don't really.

XCaliber
04-29-2013, 04:06 PM
The recent episodes have been good enough but I hope all this setup for who or what Clara is pays off and doesn't end up being a big disappointment.

Innovator
04-29-2013, 04:10 PM
I watched a couple episodes, I'm attracted to Clara.

VSG
04-29-2013, 09:41 PM
Fuck me, I just discovered Rose has been in so many nude scenes including a 3some.

Well Groomed Fox
05-01-2013, 08:26 PM
I bet she could fit a lot of things in her mouth.

Next Big Thing
05-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Finally got around to it. Definitely feels tamer on the week to week drama and suspense scale compared to Amy's run, but let's not forget they're following a companion and storyline that was built up over 2 1/2 seasons. I'm willing to give them some time to build Clara up and her backstory is fairly intriguing.

XCaliber
05-07-2013, 07:07 PM
Next week it's the return of the Cybermen yay!

Next Big Thing
05-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Didn't think I'd ever find myself excited for a Cybermen episode, but I welcome it compared to the kind of dull monsters of the week they've been sending out, while developing Clara's story.

VSG
05-12-2013, 12:38 AM
Not even the Cybermen could save this trainwreck of a season- one more episode to go.

Next Big Thing
05-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Yeah, that wasn't what I was hoping it would be. Finale looks promising though.

mitchables
05-12-2013, 08:01 PM
it was definitely better than it has been recently. kind of a shame; i thought seasons five and six were both really good, especially since smith still had so much of tennant's shadow hanging over him for season five, then he took it and made it his own, and now season seven has just kind of been a bit... ehhh. it's been so disjointed; the blockbuster first half/losing the ponds in the middle of the season/the kind of middling return episodes... i dunno. whole thing has been a bit of a shemozzle.

and as much as i have grown to love matt smith as the doctor, i can't help but feel that the return of ten and rose in the 50th will open up a few old wounds for a lot of people for whom tennant is "their" doctor.

also kind of wary about this whole "john hurt playing part of the doctor" thing - valeyard theories abound, which i am far more comfortable with than any suggestion (no matter how spurious) that he is either a really old version of the eighth doctor or the "real", forgotten, ninth doctor.

mitchables
05-14-2013, 07:23 PM
the DW tumblr has posted a bunch of screenshots from the upcoming finale, but the one that most piqued my interest is this:

http://media.tumblr.com/5ddc7387735d899948b72e66413707a1/tumblr_inline_mmt75clPSC1qz4rgp.jpg
am i mistaken, or does that look a fuck-tonne like the sixth doctor behind clara there? there's another shot before this one that is of gallifrey, with the subtitle "gallifrey, a long time ago", so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

also, not related to the finale, but i did really enjoy the nods to nine and ten in nightmare in silver. the "fantastic!"/northern accent and "allons-y!" both made me smile pretty widely.

The Destroyer
05-18-2013, 04:58 PM
Well the finale was a lot better than some of this series has been. Think they've come up with an interesting idea with the whole John Hurt deal, be interesting to see how things pan out come November.

VSG
05-18-2013, 07:22 PM
I was happy with the finale but my girl was pretty pissed that the whole reveal was pretty much a huge "to be continued".

Next Big Thing
05-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Very good finale. Definitely intrigued for next season.

mitchables
05-19-2013, 06:27 PM
yeah, easily the strongest finale in a while and arguably the strongest episode (or one of the strongest episodes) of the season. not hard, considering that - through no fault of the actors - it's been a fairly middling season.

hopefully john hurt is not "the real" ninth doctor as some early online rumours proffered - think him being the valeyard would be far more interesting.

VSG
05-19-2013, 08:18 PM
Ya but they clearly went "Introducing John Hurt as The Doctor" though.

What Would Kevin Do?
05-19-2013, 08:37 PM
yeah, easily the strongest finale in a while and arguably the strongest episode (or one of the strongest episodes) of the season. not hard, considering that - through no fault of the actors - it's been a fairly middling season.

hopefully john hurt is not "the real" ninth doctor as some early online rumours proffered - think him being the valeyard would be far more interesting.

I still wish they had Eccleston.

But yeah, from what I've been reading, and pieced together from the finale...

Hurt will be the "lost Doctor", aka, the one who actually made the decision / pulled the trigger on the ending of the Time War that wiped out Gallifrey. Basically the regeneration that the Doctor has pretty much disowned and force himself to forget about, in an attempt to distance himself from his own acts.

mitchables
05-19-2013, 09:12 PM
I still wish they had Eccleston.

But yeah, from what I've been reading, and pieced together from the finale...

Hurt will be the "lost Doctor", aka, the one who actually made the decision / pulled the trigger on the ending of the Time War that wiped out Gallifrey. Basically the regeneration that the Doctor has pretty much disowned and force himself to forget about, in an attempt to distance himself from his own acts.

god, i actually kind of hate that. i dunno. i could learn to like it. i won't mind if he ends up just being, like, an old version of the eighth, because the eighth doctor has had so much mythology built up around him because he only ever had the one appearance, and i always took it as read that it was the eighth doctor who fought and ended the time war, or that the eighth died during the time war and the ninth finished it off, which is why he was so dark underneath the smiling jester act. having another whole incarnation - "the real ninth doctor" - between the two kind of diminishes nine's gravitas.

granted, it raises some interesting questions - did hurt's doctor die at the end of the time war? before? why would universal prophecies about the doctor fail to take into account his 'missing' regeneration? if this missing doctor was so crucial and pivotal during the time war, regardless of whether the doctor wants to forget him, how did the universe let him? does that mean "the fall of the eleventh" was ten's death? does he have only one regeneration left then (which is even further muddied by the imprecise science of river song "gifting" her remaining regenerations to bring the doctor back to life back in season six -- did he get leftover regenerations from that?)?

I DUNNO. VALEYARD WOULD BE COOL. this seems like "well, we couldn't get christopher eccleston, so check it out there's this 'lost doctor' we've never mentioned before. also the ninth doctor is actually the tenth, the tenth doctor is the eleventh, and all the puns we've made surrounding the number eleven during matt's run are actually kind of nonsensical because he is really the twelfth".

i did see a photo of hurt in a costume that appeared to be a hybrid of eight and nine's (had nine's leather jacket under a long victorian-style dress coat), also.

VSG
05-19-2013, 09:42 PM
Mitch, I totally see where you are coming from and would LOVE to see that as well. But all theories regarding WWKD's post make a lot more sense- especially that the 50th anniversary episode will not have Eccleston (God I miss that guy so much).

mitchables
05-19-2013, 09:50 PM
no, i know. i miss nine too. and yeah, based on everything i've seen too, i'm not saying the "lost doctor" theory doesn't make sense. :( i'm just that i don't really like it. i'll keep an open mind - maybe they'll explain it in a satisfactory manner and i'll be like "oh, i can't believe i thought this would be bad!" when it happens. just saying, at the outset, seems like a bad idea, unless he's not an entirely new incarnation and really is just the eighth towards the end of his life. which i would actually be fine with.

either way, it's not like i'm going to hate the 50th. it's got ten in it, so i am happy as a kid in a candy store. i love eleven and, hell, i probably even relate more to eleven than i did ten, but ten is "my" doctor. he was my first doctor (although i went back and watched nine's series once i got into the show; i just got into it after nine had already left), and you never really get over your first doctor. so pretty stoked he's coming back for it. does not dull the pain that eccleston is not, though. i would have loved to see him one last time.

Blonde Moment
05-20-2013, 09:11 AM
Is it possible that they are trying to combine the mythology of the old and new series?
Could this be the original Master? In the old series the Master was supposed to be the 12th incarnation of the Doctor who went bad. In the new series they turned him into a childhood friend who had gone mad. They seem to be embracing alot of the old with this incarnation in particular and the thought occurred to me. Of course it also occurred to me that this could be the Who of the old movies as well...

The Destroyer
05-20-2013, 03:44 PM
No Fastaway, he really wasn't. You're thinking of the Valeyard.

I personally quite like the whole lost Doctor idea, but I guess I can see why people wouldn't.

mitchables
05-20-2013, 06:26 PM
yeah, the valeyard is an "amalgamation" of the doctor from between his 12th and final incarnations, hence why when hurt (in interviews) said he was "a part of the doctor", my mind went straight to the valeyard.

also, at the end of the episode, it was like "i said he was me, i didn't say he was the doctor." "INTRODUCING JOHN HURT AS THE DOCTOR" ><

KIRA
05-20-2013, 06:48 PM
Mitch, I totally see where you are coming from and would LOVE to see that as well. But all theories regarding WWKD's post make a lot more sense- especially that the 50th anniversary episode will not have Eccleston (God I miss that guy so much). I liked Eccleston okay I guess,but something about him was a bit off-putting plus he was nearing the end of his run when I started watching as opposed to Tennet who's portrayal I instantly fell in love with,however Eccleston's interaction with Jack Harkness was beyond awesome I LOVED IT.

Impact!
05-22-2013, 10:20 PM
Loved the last two episodes of this. I'll put the rest of this in spoilers, just in case
A theory I saw that I quite liked was that John Hurt is actually playing the Doctor from before the "1st" Doctor, that he did something that made him "hate" himself, and change his name to The Doctor. I'm not sure if I like it more than the valeyard or the 8th Doctor theories though.

Also would like it if the John Hurt Doctor was what the 11th Doctor saw in his "hotel room" in The God Complex

Impact!
05-22-2013, 10:21 PM
I will admit I'm still a bit sad that Eccleston isn't returning in the 50th though...same with Harkness...

XL
05-23-2013, 06:17 PM
I was reading the Trivia on IMDb earlier and came across this:

Names thrown out who were considered to play the Eleventh Doctor include James Nesbitt, Robert Carlyle, Bill Nighy (who expressed interest), David Walliams (who also expressed interest and came extremely close to being cast, but conflicts with Little Britain USA forced him to turn it down), Harry Lloyd, David Morrissey, Paterson Joseph, David Knijnenburg, Daniel Radcliffe, Catherine Zeta-Jones, John Simm, Russell Tovey, Sean Pertwee, Russell Crowe and Randy Orton.

Randy Orton!? The Randy Orton!?

Next Big Thing
05-23-2013, 06:22 PM
David Walliams would make a great Doctor. Loved Little Britain.

VSG
05-23-2013, 06:27 PM
"Catherine Zeta-Jones"

EH???

XL
05-23-2013, 06:48 PM
There's a whole debate about The Doctor regenerating into a woman. Doesn't surprise me that they have considered - and probably will do so the next time they have to consider it - having an actress take the role.

The concept seems to divide fans a fair bit. Personally I'd be quite interested in the idea, maybe they should do it as a transitional thing.

Corporate CockSnogger
05-27-2013, 04:22 PM
Gonna start watching Doctor Who since I've come into possession of the first three series on DVD. Should I watch Torchwood and Sarah Jane Adventures too? If so, what order should I do it in?

XL
05-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Are the older series on Netflix?

Corporate CockSnogger
05-27-2013, 05:30 PM
Well I'd probably just torrent it all anyway cause I doubt I'll keep Netflix once my free month trial's done but yeah there appears to be 5 seasons of Doctor Who, 4 of Torchwood and 1 of Sarah Jane. On the UK Netflix at least anyway.

XL
05-28-2013, 02:47 AM
I'd requested them through LoveFilm but never received them. Perhaps Netfilx is the way forward.

The Destroyer
05-28-2013, 04:47 AM
The Eccleston and Tennant series are all up on Netflix, but only the first Matt Smith series.

There's also a very, very limited selection of the classic series up as well.

Corporate CockSnogger
05-28-2013, 06:23 AM
Sooo, should I watch Torchwood, Baird? I'm thinking I might give Sarah Jane Adventures a miss.

Next Big Thing
05-28-2013, 07:06 AM
Never watched Sarah Jane. This is just my opinion, but the first two seasons of Torchwood were well done and the third season started out promising, then it kind of goes downhill. Fourth season wasn't that great. Definitely check it out for yourself though.

El Vaquero de Infierno
05-28-2013, 07:50 AM
The first three seasons of Torchwood are quite good. With the fourth season they pretty much sanitised it for American audiences, with the exception of some gay sex which KK will have enjoyed immensely. Furthermore, they stretched the fourth season over too many episodes.

Corporate CockSnogger
05-28-2013, 07:55 AM
Gay sex? I'm sold. I'll check it out, but when does it all fit in, should I just watch it after I've gone through Doctor Who? Or should I insert the odd series of Torchwood in between Doctor Who series'?

El Vaquero de Infierno
05-28-2013, 07:58 AM
From what I can remember the Torchwood episodes are pretty much stand-alone, so you don't need to do a Buffy/Angel thing.

The Destroyer
05-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Torchwood started out fairly guff with series one, improved for the second series and then got pretty bloody excellent for the third. Fourth is missable entirely.

The only real tie in with Doctor Who is that the end of the first series of Torchwood kind of leads in to the Doctor Who episode Utopia and the events of the Who episode "Doomsday" kind of sets the stage for one of the first series Torchwood episodes, but that's it.

The Destroyer
06-01-2013, 05:39 PM
Matt Smith is leaving after this year's Christmas special. :(

VSG
06-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Well darn.. He had the best few series of the modern era.

Corporate CockSnogger
06-01-2013, 05:54 PM
I'll do it.

The Destroyer
06-01-2013, 05:58 PM
Needs to be a woman.

Corporate CockSnogger
06-01-2013, 06:14 PM
I'm quite enjoying what I've watched so far. I'm about 4 episodes from the end of series 2. I don't think I'm gonna like the whole constant rotation of the cast thing. I'm starting to warm to Billie Piper now, and she'll be buggering off soon I think.

Who's generally considered the best of the three modern doctors then? My old housemate used to rave about Tennant, but I personally prefer Eccleston so far out of those two.

Haven't heard much about Smith but he looks like a bit of a gimp with a face like my foot.

Next Big Thing
06-01-2013, 06:49 PM
I prefer Tennant, but think Eccleston would have given him and Smith both a run for their money if he got another series or two under his belt.

XL
06-01-2013, 07:51 PM
I like Smith but I wasn't as "into it" during the Eccleston/Tennant runs, just started to watch from the start of the relaunch so that might change.

XL
06-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Also, chances of the next Doctor being black?

VSG
06-01-2013, 10:19 PM
Eccleston is MY doctor so I am partial there. But Matt Smith definitely had a better run than David Tennant.

XCaliber
06-02-2013, 10:54 AM
Needs to be a woman.

Wouldn't be against this notion for the 13th Doctor or dare I say his offsrping and it's a pity Smith is leaving even though I was more of a Tennant guy at least he will be going out in a way that none of the others have.

Corporate CockSnogger
07-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Just gonna use this thread, cause whatever. I'm up to the specials between series 4 and 5 right now. Loved Eccleston and the first series is probably my favourite, but I've grown attached to Tennant. Really not looking forward to him leaving and being replaced by that foot-head Matt Smith. Really think I'm gonna hate him. Even if the stories are good I won't be able to take his ugly mug seriously. The end of series 4 with the huge clusterfuck of guests with everyone brought back to help the Doctor was amazing. Love stuff like that. Started off not really liking Donna, cause Catherine Tate is annoying, but by the end of it, I was gutted she was leaving. So much better when the companions aren't fawning all over The Doctor.

Been watching Torchwood in between too. The Children of Earth Series 3 was so dark and really good. The characters are pretty annoying on Torchwood, and Barrowman is like a big, prancing, poundland version of Tom Cruise who can't act. But the plots are generally interesting. Harkness having to kill his own grandson to save all the other kids in the world was horrible to watch.

VSG
07-01-2013, 06:13 PM
I had no idea Tennant had such a massive scottish accent till I saw this:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2Em8lmmTNkA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Corporate CockSnogger
07-01-2013, 06:15 PM
Lol I read the other day that in between two of the seasons, might have been after S4 and before the specials, he'd forgotten how to do the accent he used for The Doctor and had to watch a bunch of episodes to remind himself.

VSG
07-01-2013, 06:17 PM
lol that's pretty funny. This makes me appreciate him more- still my 3rd fav Doctor of the modern 3 though.

Corporate CockSnogger
07-01-2013, 06:19 PM
Oh my God. The whole Scottish thing has really just made me want to see Henry Ian Cusick as the next doctor.

"See ya in another time, brotha"

mitchables
07-01-2013, 06:31 PM
yeah, he originally wanted to voice ten with his normal accent but davies didn't want to seem like the show was "touring the regions" or whatever after eccleston's northern accent, or something along those lines.

he got to bust it out in his second or third episode though when they go back in time and meet queen victoria, so it wasn't a total loss i guess

The Destroyer
07-01-2013, 06:32 PM
He seems to break out his Doctor Who accent in a lot of stuff he does now though. :(

mitchables
07-01-2013, 06:41 PM
there's a gif getting around from never mind the buzzcocks where tennant is saying "there's been a murder" and the gist of the caption is that you can basically see the scottish accent

http://media.tumblr.com/d01a052097de7a43f45e6cff86293c3b/tumblr_inline_mjdljysVSs1qz4rgp.gif

so his natural dictation is not without its fans baird it's ok

KIRA
07-01-2013, 06:42 PM
I had no idea Tennant had such a massive scottish accent till I saw this:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2Em8lmmTNkA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I loved and miss Tennants deer in the headlights eyes as for his accent there was an episode where he actually used it to avoid trouble pretty funny too.

And I like Matt Smiths Dr. he's noticeably more light hearted than recent incarnations but oh when the 11th gets angry....

VSG
07-01-2013, 06:45 PM
Oh my God. The whole Scottish thing has really just made me want to see Henry Ian Cusick as the next doctor.

"See ya in another time, brotha"

loll yes

there's a gif getting around from never mind the buzzcocks where tennant is saying "there's been a murder" and the gist of the caption is that you can basically see the scottish accent

http://media.tumblr.com/d01a052097de7a43f45e6cff86293c3b/tumblr_inline_mjdljysVSs1qz4rgp.gif

:rofl:

The Destroyer
07-01-2013, 06:47 PM
If you don't live in Scotland that line will have limited relevance.

mitchables
07-01-2013, 07:03 PM
I loved and miss Tennants deer in the headlights eyes as for his accent there was an episode where he actually used it to avoid trouble pretty funny too.

And I like Matt Smiths Dr. he's noticeably more light hearted than recent incarnations but oh when the 11th gets angry....

one of the most common descriptions i've seen for the three modern doctors is "the tiger, the tigger and the uncoordinated house cat".

which is pretty accurate, really. nine was all sass and barely veiled darkness, having come directly (or so we thought, but possibly next-to-directly) from the time war; ten was a lot more wide-eyed and wondrous and "ohhh, you're beautiful" when confronted with something he'd never seen before; eleven is a dichotomy of childlike playfulness/curiosity and ageless wisdom mixed together with flashes of deep, untold rage and agony. i feel like smith's had the most opportunity to roam between all the aspects of his doctor's cumulative personality and he seems a little more 'complete' as a character than the other two as a result.

mitchables
07-01-2013, 07:04 PM
If you don't live in Scotland that line will have limited relevance.

not to any point that matters though. with all the small-town uk midsomer backwater murder shows that do the rounds it's really not hard to see a scottish person saying "there's been a murder" and figure out exactly how he's intoning it

:heart: u

The Destroyer
07-01-2013, 07:45 PM
It loses relevance if you don't know about Taggart. :(

mitchables
07-01-2013, 08:59 PM
It loses relevance if you don't know about Taggart. :(

do you honestly think that any country in the rest of the commonwealth has not had taggart screened over and over

i know more about taggart than i ever wanted to courtesy of my parents and the abc

Corporate CockSnogger
07-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Damn. Just watched the last Tennant ep. Was sad, felt like a series finale, as in last one ever, and I'm an absolute sucker for series finales. Love how he went to check up on everyone. Hate Matt Smith's face so much. Guess he'll grow on me, but having not seen any of him yet, I don't want to see him. That redhead Scottish bird might help ease the pain of looking at his swollen grid though.

VSG
07-01-2013, 09:39 PM
He has the best storyline though- massive and entertaining.

mitchables
07-01-2013, 10:40 PM
yeah, the ten-->eleven regeneration was fucking painful. even nine's death wasn't as bad because he went out all jolly and defiant to the last, but ten's was fucking soul-destroying

XL
07-02-2013, 04:34 AM

Clearly not from Buzzcocks. The card in his hand shows it's from The Friday Night Project.

El Vaquero de Infierno
07-02-2013, 12:57 PM
You bunch of sci-fi geeks! I love you all!

Corporate CockSnogger
07-02-2013, 01:40 PM
Just watched the first ep of series 5 and I really really severely dislike Matt Smith. Don't like all the changes :(

El Vaquero de Infierno
07-02-2013, 02:14 PM
I like Smith. By the end of Tennant's run I had come to dislike him, and found Smith refreshing.

Amy Pond = Redheaded goodness.

Corporate CockSnogger
07-02-2013, 02:37 PM
I think I'm gonna find it difficult to root for a guy who's my age and looks like a blistered toe. This Pond bird is deffo something else though.

Corporate CockSnogger
07-02-2013, 02:49 PM
I've read quite a lot about people disliking Tennant, but I don't really get why. Love his expressions and his pronunciations of certains phrases.

El Vaquero de Infierno
07-02-2013, 02:57 PM
I liked Tennant alot when he first started, but by the end I kind of found him...smug. I dunno, I just tired of him. Or, maybe I just got bored with RTD and his penchant for hyperbole that never paid off, and transferred this dislike to Tennant.

mitchables
07-02-2013, 08:11 PM
Clearly not from Buzzcocks. The card in his hand shows it's from The Friday Night Project.
excuse me for not being british and confusing two similar-looking shows then i guess

XL
07-03-2013, 06:30 AM
You are excused.

KIRA
07-03-2013, 03:43 PM
one of the most common descriptions i've seen for the three modern doctors is "the tiger, the tigger and the uncoordinated house cat".

which is pretty accurate, really. nine was all sass and barely veiled darkness, having come directly (or so we thought, but possibly next-to-directly) from the time war; ten was a lot more wide-eyed and wondrous and "ohhh, you're beautiful" when confronted with something he'd never seen before; eleven is a dichotomy of childlike playfulness/curiosity and ageless wisdom mixed together with flashes of deep, untold rage and agony. i feel like smith's had the most opportunity to roam between all the aspects of his doctor's cumulative personality and he seems a little more 'complete' as a character than the other two as a result.

IMO for all his jolliness and hyper active demeanor the agelessness and pain of the 11th is captured wonderfully in his one-sided talk with Stormaggeddon/Alphie you get to see just how old and how tired he really is.

Corporate CockSnogger
07-05-2013, 04:33 AM
Couple of episodes left of series 5 and its been pretty shit for the most part. Matt Smith's grown on me, but he's still a bit cringeworthy at times. Amy pond's great though, she's adorable. River Song is the absolute worst though. Can't think of a worse character on the show.

Most the episodes have been fine, but none of them really stand out as anything special.

Corporate CockSnogger
07-05-2013, 04:39 AM
Oh my god. Every time she says "spoilers" or "hello sweetie" makes me want to throw my remote at the tv, just to get that grating sound of her voice replaced with the sound of my screen smashing.

The Destroyer
07-05-2013, 04:39 AM
Series 5 was a bit ropey in places with hindsight, but it had some good stories too. Got better towards the end.

Corporate CockSnogger
07-05-2013, 04:44 AM
The best episodes I think were probably the weeping angels episodes, despite River Song being there. But they were nothing compared to Blink from series 3, which is by far one of my favourite episodes.

The Destroyer
07-05-2013, 04:46 AM
Yes it was my highlight of the early part of the series as well.

Corporate CockSnogger
07-05-2013, 05:03 AM
The fact James Corden was in this series and he wasn't the thing I hated the most about it really is a testament to just how much I dislike River Song.

El Vaquero de Infierno
07-05-2013, 06:22 AM
I like River Song, but maybe this is my redhead bias weighing in.

The Destroyer
07-05-2013, 06:37 AM
Redhead who's old enough to be your mum bias?

XL
07-05-2013, 09:59 AM
Hey! Alex Kingston ain't too bad for an older woman.

El Vaquero de Infierno
07-05-2013, 10:42 AM
XL is right there.

Corporate CockSnogger
07-05-2013, 11:03 AM
Yeah, but the character is awful and annoying

Corporate CockSnogger
07-05-2013, 11:03 AM
"Spoilers!"

Ugh

El Vaquero de Infierno
07-05-2013, 11:07 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/13S58aQw7wA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Corporate CockSnogger
07-19-2013, 06:45 AM
Well I'm coming up to the end of it all (to date) now. Just watched the Angels take Manhattan episode. Really bittersweet ending to Amy and Rory's run in the show. Didn't care for Rory much at the start but by this point I've grown to love him. It really felt as though from the start of series 5 up to this point was more the story of Amy Pond featuring The Doctor, rather than her being another companion. She might be my favourite companion, although if I don't dislike any of them really. Still hate River Song though, horrible character.

VSG
07-19-2013, 06:55 AM
Rory looks a bit like you though :naughty:

VSG
07-19-2013, 06:56 AM
Also, look at this shit (http://www.amazon.com/Doctor-Who-Limited--Blu-ray-Giftset/dp/B00DYAE2IY/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1374231397&sr=1-1&keywords=doctor+who%3A+series+1-7+limited-edition+giftset)

El Vaquero de Infierno
07-19-2013, 09:32 AM
Well I'm coming up to the end of it all (to date) now. Just watched the Angels take Manhattan episode. Really bittersweet ending to Amy and Rory's run in the show. Didn't care for Rory much at the start but by this point I've grown to love him. It really felt as though from the start of series 5 up to this point was more the story of Amy Pond featuring The Doctor, rather than her being another companion. She might be my favourite companion, although if I don't dislike any of them really. Still hate River Song though, horrible character.

Has Matt Smith grown on you, yet?

Corporate CockSnogger
07-19-2013, 09:40 AM
Yeahhh I guess. I'm mostly just mystified how he can be so ugly that he can look both 25 and 65 years old at once.

But yeah I do like him I suppose. It's sort of like I was going out with a really attractive, intelligent, funny, interesting girl but then she dumped me and I was pretty gutted. Then along came this other girl, who's got smaller breasts, isn't as funny and sometimes smells bad, but she's alright and her friends are really cool too. If the other girl were to ever return, I'd jump at the chance to slip her a cheeky bang, I'd feel a little bad for the new one, but I'd definitely do it.

Corporate CockSnogger
07-19-2013, 12:59 PM
One thing I did like about Matt Smith's doctor was how awkward his social skills were and some of the weird little traits when talking to people. Like Tennant was always a cool, hands in his pockets, smirk at compliment he got kinda guy, Smith's just such a nerd and so awkward. Love it every time he does the kiss on both cheeks thing after the Van Gogh episode, and how he has weird interactions with Amy like patting her on the head and stuff. Her reactions to them are usually adorable too which makes me like it more. Another thing that never fails to crack me up is the "this baby's name is Alfie" "No it's not, it's Stormageddon, I speak baby" kind of joke. Normally a pretty juvenile joke that's repeated would kind of grate on me but Smith's delivery of it just gets me every single time.

XL
08-04-2013, 02:15 PM
If you didn't already know, they are revealing Doctor #12 in the next 20 minutes.

The Destroyer
08-04-2013, 02:21 PM
If they'd just bloody tell us instead of wrapping it up in this pointless programme, I'd be much happier.

XL
08-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Suspense.

XL
08-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Peter Capaldi

Next Big Thing
08-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Wow, they went surprisingly older with this one. I was hoping for David Walliams. Admittedly, I don't know much about Capaldi so I'll just say I'm intrigued by this choice.

XL
08-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Really can't wait for the memes.

Corporate CockSnogger
08-04-2013, 02:36 PM
He's a very good actor. Much better than David Walliams lol.

Next Big Thing
08-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Is Jenna Louise-Coleman signed on beyond this next season? I wonder how that dynamic changes.

The Destroyer
08-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Wow, they went surprisingly older with this one. I was hoping for David Walliams. Admittedly, I don't know much about Capaldi so I'll just say I'm intrigued by this choice.
He is an excellent, excellent actor.

mitchables
08-04-2013, 06:28 PM
should be good to have an older actor back in the role. i loved tennant and smith, but they were going down a weird ageing-down path that only sometimes worked in terms of a young person competently conveying the nuances of a very, very old being. capaldi's the same age as hartnell was when he started as the first doctor, so that's pretty cool.

you look at him and you see someone who's likely to be more like nine in his characterisation, which can be no bad thing. i hope he's markedly darker than the previous two incarnations. dunno. at first i was like "ehhhh" but the more it sits with me, the more i think they made a really good decision to go this way. will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

Next Big Thing
08-05-2013, 02:58 PM
Thinking of DLing the "Thick of It" to get familiar w/ the new actor. Is the show any good? Any other recommendations?

The Destroyer
08-05-2013, 03:13 PM
It's a great show but don't expect much Doctorishness from Malcolm Tucker.

XCaliber
08-05-2013, 06:51 PM
should be good to have an older actor back in the role. i loved tennant and smith, but they were going down a weird ageing-down path that only sometimes worked in terms of a young person competently conveying the nuances of a very, very old being. capaldi's the same age as hartnell was when he started as the first doctor, so that's pretty cool.

you look at him and you see someone who's likely to be more like nine in his characterisation, which can be no bad thing. i hope he's markedly darker than the previous two incarnations. dunno. at first i was like "ehhhh" but the more it sits with me, the more i think they made a really good decision to go this way. will be interesting to see how it all unfolds.

I was under the distinct impression The Doctor was supposed to look younger with every regeneration.

mitchables
08-06-2013, 12:55 AM
no? where did you read/hear/see that? nine didn't look younger than eight, really. and seven definitely looked older than six, just as six was noticeably older than five.

Corporate CockSnogger
08-06-2013, 12:10 PM
I've only seen about 4 or 5 episodes of The Thick Of It, but yeah really looking forward to seeing Capaldi in the role. Changes the whole dynamic of the show with regards to his relationship with companions. I imagine a lot of the 15-25 female fan base could be lost though.

Seriously though, those weeping angels and daleks are gonna shit themselves when they get his angry face

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2009/10/14/1255534407037/peter-capaldi-thick-of-it-001.jpg

El Vaquero de Infierno
08-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Fuck the Daleks. I'd like a full season without them. I think the Weeping Angels need to disappear for awhile as well. Cybermen can go bugger themselves also.

I'm with Mitchables in that I hope this new Doctor will be alot darker.

I don't really see Jenna-Louise Coleman being his companion, though. Hopefully, with the actor being a lot older, we won't have to suffer the producers deciding that another companion needs to fall in love with the Doctor.

Blonde Moment
11-14-2013, 08:00 AM
You need to see this.
Really
http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/video/mini-episode-the-night-of-the-doctor/

The Destroyer
11-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Seconded. You really do.

Corporate CockSnogger
11-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Yeahhh saw that earlier today. Really good. Pretty "huge" in the overall story of The Doctor too for a mini episode. I didn't even see it advertised anywhere.

KIRA
11-14-2013, 10:01 PM
Seconded. You really do.

Thirded. A good man's going to war.

Blonde Moment
11-15-2013, 08:08 PM
Very curious who the second short involves.

VSG
11-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Wait so Matt Smith is still the most recent doctor, and we end up with 2 new "past doctors" then?

Corporate CockSnogger
11-17-2013, 03:58 PM
Wait so Matt Smith is still the most recent doctor, and we end up with 2 new "past doctors" then?

Who are the 2? It's just the John Hurt Doctor seen at the end of the mini episode and at the end of "The Name of the Doctor".

VSG
11-17-2013, 04:27 PM
lol never mind I thought Paul McGann was Peter Capaldi. Serves me right for not being familiar with Brit actors and yet not bothering to Google it up till now. Now that I did, that clip makes a lot more sense and definitely deserves to be more than just a webisode.

Corporate CockSnogger
11-17-2013, 04:37 PM
I'd definitely like to see more of Paul McGann as the Doctor, it's a shame they couldn't have worked out something a little bit longer for him to work on. Probably not a full episode, but maybe a run of 6-8 mini episodes or something. Really like him, but that could mostly be down to him being a Scouser.

The Destroyer
11-18-2013, 03:22 AM
I knew it. Your kind always sticks together.

XL
11-19-2013, 06:46 AM
Think I'd enjoy a spin-off series featuring the exploits of the 8th Doctor but I guess it would take away from the introduction of capaldi's Doctor. Unless they did it in the downtime between series/specials.

XL
12-01-2013, 05:18 PM
What did people think of The Day Of The Doctor?

Corporate CockSnogger
12-02-2013, 06:54 AM
I really enjoyed it. Just having Tennant and Smith interacting was enough to get a big cheesy grin on my face.

The Destroyer
12-02-2013, 06:02 PM
I liked it. Started off a bit shaky but once it got going it was great.

Hell, I enjoyed pretty much all the anniversary programming the BBC out out. The drama that documented that early days of the series (An Adventure In Space And Time) was absolutely excellent.

Corporate CockSnogger
12-02-2013, 06:10 PM
Did you watch The Five(ish) Doctors? Thought that was great and there were a lot of good sports involved. Loved the bits with John Barrowman.

The Destroyer
12-03-2013, 02:20 AM
Yeah it was excellent stuff as well.

XL
12-03-2013, 04:14 PM
Did you watch The Five(ish) Doctors? Thought that was great and there were a lot of good sports involved. Loved the bits with John Barrowman.

I meant to mention that.

Corporate CockSnogger
12-26-2013, 04:54 PM
What were people's thoughts on The Time of The Doctor then? Personally thought it was a bit of a convoluted mess really and the whole thing felt massively rushed. Thought Smith deserved a bit of a better send off than that, although his regeneration scene itself was really well done. Almost lost it when he took of his bowtie and dropped it to the floor.

The Destroyer
12-27-2013, 02:21 AM
Yeah it was a bit of a "let's regenerate the Doctor but shit, we need to explain all the stuff we set up during his first two series" mess. It was alright overall though.

Impeccable
12-27-2013, 05:50 AM
I was disappointed in the finale for Matt Smith. After such a strong special for the anniversary, it felt rushed and jam packs too many things into an hour.

One of my biggest issues with the whole series is too often, The Doctor will be in peril and then all of a sudden he does something which hasn't been set up, etc.

For example, when they were facing the stone gargoyles (weeping angels or something), he took a wig off and revealed he had shaved his head and hidden something in his wig that could call the tardis. The shaving of the head and the wig was all done off camera, so makes no sense really.

The worst part was, he had already been shown naked and said that his clothes are a hologram. Why couldn't they have set the wig thing up at this point too?

They do this with countless other things. The Doctor aces death, and all of a sudden he knows to reverse the polarity of something with his sonic screwdriver without any previous knowledge. Lazy, get out clause, "it was all a dream" writing.

[/rant]

El Vaquero de Infierno
12-27-2013, 06:40 AM
I've always found Dr. Who specials and season finales rather underwhelming. It was worse under RTD, but the problem (atleast for me) still remains.

XL
12-27-2013, 05:28 PM
My first thought was "At least it's not set on Earth".

Blonde Moment
12-27-2013, 08:05 PM
I thought it was perfect really. He spent most of his time alway running, taking nothing to serious throughout his entire run until finally he stopped lying to himself (not that he had a choice really) and stopped running from his destiny.

XL
07-15-2014, 09:35 AM
Anyone see the trailer? Do we need a new thread?

El Vaquero de Infierno
07-15-2014, 11:30 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TivqZTq5u6Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

El Vaquero de Infierno
07-15-2014, 11:32 AM
Looks like it might be turning a bit dark; good.

Daleks can sod off, though.

I thought Dr Who, by the seventh series, was around 1100, now he is over 2000 years old? What has he been upto all this time?

Corporate CockSnogger
07-15-2014, 11:37 AM
He aged like 500 years in the last episode alone. Plus didn't he age about 300 years when he went off the grid mid way through season 7?

El Vaquero de Infierno
07-15-2014, 12:54 PM
I'm having a hard time keeping track. I need to re-watch the last series to get my bearings.

Corporate CockSnogger
07-15-2014, 01:04 PM
I'm currently up to season 13 of the classic series. Started in January I think, maybe December. Was hoping to have gone through all of it, as well as re-watched all the current series before season 8 began. I vastly underestimated the show and also my social life.

Outsider
07-20-2014, 09:19 AM
Watching the World Premiere in Cardiff on 7th August. Pretty excited.

Even if it does mean paying to watch something that is on TV for free two weeks later.

XL
07-21-2014, 05:44 PM
How much did that cost?

Outsider
07-21-2014, 07:27 PM
Not a huge amount. Is part of their world tour promoting the new series. Think it was £11 a head. Tickets were a bastard to get though.

Outsider
07-21-2014, 07:53 PM
They filmed a scene in a cafe across the road for the next series as well. Couldn't hear anything or see much, but enough to give me a theory.

The Doctor and Clara share a very awkward hug, and sit at the table in a very stand off-ish way.

Looked to me like a goodbye hug, although like I said, crap view and no sound so could be way off the mark there.

The cafe did tell me that it was one of the later stages of filming.

If Clara was leaving I would expect they would announce that closer to the start of the series.

I'm probably wrong though.

On the plus side, both the Doctor and Clara came out for photos and autographs after.

And my boss was out, so I didn't get fired for spending two hours watching Doctor Who filming rather than working.

XL
07-22-2014, 08:53 AM
Not a huge amount. Is part of their world tour promoting the new series. Think it was £11 a head. Tickets were a bastard to get though.

Ah. That answers my second question.

KIRA
07-22-2014, 11:50 PM
I wasn't sure about this Doctor but the trailer has me pumped and very much looking forward to August.

XL
07-23-2014, 05:24 PM
You weren't sure!? I'm really looking forward to a more serious Doctor. There's a way to keep him quirky without the childish stuff we got from Matt Smith.

Outsider
08-07-2014, 05:24 PM
I have now seen Deep Breath.

It is good.

Fuller, minor spoilers also included:

Peter Capaldi's Doctor is slightly more energetic than I would have thought, although calmed down towards the end. Might have been due to the affects of the regeneration but will be interesting to see how the character plays out over the course of the series.

Madame Vastra and Jenny play a sizable part in the episode and their relationship is a bit more fleshed out as well in a positive way. Fan at the talk at the end asked if they will get a spin-off which was met with a non-denial denial. Would be a good one. Bit less Strax than I would have liked though.

New TARDIS interior looks neat.

Not enough Dinosaur.

More I want to type, but better not.

Corporate CockSnogger
08-07-2014, 05:35 PM
Not a huge fan of Vastra, Jenny and Strax, personally. They're alright but I'd probably not care one way or another if they were in it/got a spin off or not.

Kinda hoping The Master returns with a new actor playing him. Love The Master. But would def like a more fresh "big bad" for the season.

Outsider
08-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Not a huge fan of Vastra, Jenny and Strax, personally. They're alright but I'd probably not care one way or another if they were in it/got a spin off or not.

Kinda hoping The Master returns with a new actor playing him. Love The Master. But would def like a more fresh "big bad" for the season.

I was hoping that they would do a 'coming soon' video going over some of the future clips of the series that might give us some clues, but all we got was the standard 'next week' highlights for episode 2.

Daleks. But I think that was already released anyway.

Corporate CockSnogger
08-07-2014, 05:46 PM
I wouldn't be entirely against an entirely new enemy all together. Or one of the classic top villains like Omega coming back would be sweet.

VSG
08-07-2014, 05:46 PM
I am just about tired of the Daleks and Cybermen.

Outsider
08-07-2014, 07:05 PM
I think Moffat hyped a scary new monster, so hopefully won't be too much emphasis on some of the same old.

.....however I know from seeing it being filmed that there is a Cyberman episode coming. So maybe not.

Also, there have been clips filming recently with lots of plants.

So get ready for some scary plants.

El Vaquero de Infierno
08-08-2014, 05:15 AM
I think definitely need a new big bad, as Iggy says. The Daleks, Cybermen (boring anyway), and even the Weeping Angels are stale.

El Vaquero de Infierno
08-08-2014, 05:17 AM
In regards to the Weeping Angels, they were fresh and genuinely creepy. But just like the Borg in Star Trek Voyager, they have become over exposed and lost any impact they had.

XL
08-08-2014, 05:31 AM
They should have held off on the Daleks and Cybermen this series. I get the whole "New Doctor meets the arch nemesis for the 'first' time" angle but they really could have saved it and built it up a little, kept it up their sleeve so to speak.

Outsider
08-08-2014, 07:06 AM
The problem is, due to the nature of the show, the bad guys always lose.

Essentially, asking us to get excited about the Doctor taking on the Daleks or Cybermen is kinda like asking us to get excited over Cena vs Heath Slater.

They need to build up the threat. Yes, they are never going to kill the Doctor, but feed them the odd companion or have them dominate a planet for a while.

That was what made the first episode of the new series to feature a Dalek so good. Having one Dalek slaughter a load of troops without taking a bit of damage made it look like the beast it is meant to be.

And next time the Doctor has a regeneration, how about he is actually killed by a foe?

Outsider
08-17-2014, 07:30 AM
They filmed a scene in a cafe across the road for the next series as well. Couldn't hear anything or see much, but enough to give me a theory.

The Doctor and Clara share a very awkward hug, and sit at the table in a very stand off-ish way.

Looked to me like a goodbye hug, although like I said, crap view and no sound so could be way off the mark there.

The cafe did tell me that it was one of the later stages of filming.

If Clara was leaving I would expect they would announce that closer to the start of the series.

I'm probably wrong though.

On the plus side, both the Doctor and Clara came out for photos and autographs after.

And my boss was out, so I didn't get fired for spending two hours watching Doctor Who filming rather than working.

Called it: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/doctor-who-is-jenna-coleman-leaving-the-show-this-christmas-9674038.html

El Vaquero de Infierno
08-23-2014, 04:31 AM
The new series of Dr. Who begins tonight, muthaluthas!

XL
08-23-2014, 12:17 PM
Take a Deep Breath ;)

Optimus Bone 69
08-23-2014, 12:36 PM
Just met Sylvester McCoy at Glasgow Collectormania
what a great guy, never took the money for a picture with my little girl
annoyed a few though

The Mackem
08-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Do do doooo

Destor
08-23-2014, 03:36 PM
yessssssssssssssssss

Corporate CockSnogger
08-23-2014, 04:17 PM
First two thirds of that was a bit garbage. Was quite boring for a good while. I liked Capaldi though. Difficult to gauge how Capaldi's actually going to play The Doctor because of all the newly regenerated issues. Quite liked that he referenced that he'd seen his face before and "got it" from somewhere rather than just ignoring Capaldi's previous role in the show. Also makes the fact he's Scottish seem more like he subconsciously decided on the accent because of Amy.

Thoughts on "Missy"? River Song regenerated? Female Master? Something new altogether?

The Destroyer
08-23-2014, 04:35 PM
Yeah that did take a bit of time to get going. Liking Capaldi settling down a bit towards the end of the episode and it hopefully bodes well for the rest of the series.

Sepholio
08-23-2014, 05:48 PM
like 2 more hours for me. Can't wait. Been too long since the last series ended.

XL
08-24-2014, 01:59 PM
Really enjoyed it. They set the dynamic up between The Doctor and Clara really well. Hopefully they can do something to make the Daleks interesting next week.

Outsider
08-29-2014, 06:33 PM
Thoughts on "Missy"? River Song regenerated? Female Master? Something new altogether?

I did wonder about the possibility of being River, but it seems to be pretty heavily hinted in the Matt Smith finale that the Tascha Lem character was River, so they would need to do something with that.

In terms of casting, it would make sense (older Doctor would need an older River) but also think it would be a bit quick to bring that character back.

And the actual lines didn't seem very River. If she's regenerated then that would mean she would change, but yeah, didn't see it.

But whoever she is, she's battling Cybermen later in the series so guess we will find out then.

El Vaquero de Infierno
08-30-2014, 03:26 PM
Question:

What happened to the paradigm daleks, or as they are also known as, the "mighty morphin power ranger" daleks?

I think they only appeared the once and then we returned to the regular, bronze daleks.

The Destroyer
08-30-2014, 05:34 PM
They appeared a few times, but last time was in Asylum of the Daleks where the design was used for some kind of senior boss Dalek. Not been seen since.

KIRA
08-30-2014, 07:30 PM
Just a few thoughts:
Took some adjusting but Capaldi is a welcome change.

Paternoster Gang FTW

I love that the Doctor gives that stare to the camera again after killing the Cyborg.

I'm pumped from Missy to the questions about the doctors new form I am gonna enjoy this season.

Outsider
09-08-2014, 05:47 PM
Not enjoyed the last two episodes.

Capaldi has been great, but the script and stories haven't been the standard I hoped.

XL
09-08-2014, 05:49 PM
Yeah, got caught up with Saturday's episode earlier. Was a bit of a "nothing" episode.

Outsider
09-30-2014, 11:37 AM
Still managing a massive 'meh' to this season.

Not Capaldi, he has been great. But there have either been terrible premises or terrible scripts.

Or both.

Ripper
09-30-2014, 12:26 PM
Sadly the new series hasn't quite come up to the level of its lead yet, I think the change in tone is catching a few of the writers out as much as the viewers at times, next weeks (Blow up the Moon) looks like a real old school premise which should fit the new Doctor better, and the arc seems to be coming clearer now (God?!?)

VSG
09-30-2014, 01:06 PM
I haven't seen any episode since the 2nd in the season, totally killed my interest since. Are the latest episodes better?

Ripper
09-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Depends, what are you looking for from the show?

Ep. three is much more comedic in tone than the rest, and by all press accounts the next two (Kill the Moon and Mummy on the Orient Express) are both scary with overtones of the early (70s/80s) series of the show.

VSG
09-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Just in terms of a general plot line for the series. There is the stuff with Missy but even that seems so lackluster compared to most of the previous series. The last series started out terrible also but at least had a good premise to it in my opinion.

Ripper
09-30-2014, 04:19 PM
I'd agree the arc seems poor, partly because they don't really seem to have invested much time in it, but I would say some of the individual episodes are strong, there is certainly enough in them to offer hope for the future.

The interplay between Mr Pink and the Doctor in the last episode was well done on both sides which is promising too, if rumors are to be believed.

El Vaquero de Infierno
11-01-2014, 05:07 PM
Well, I wasn't expecting that revelation at the end of the episode....